Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Here we go!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

CancerCakes posted:

Here we go!

Roads? Where we’re going, we don’t need roads.

:getin:

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.
Getting real close now

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
I like the little express window to the left of the door :3:

edit: Congrats on the new sign, it looks fantastic!

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

super cool. I think I found you guys on instagram. And speaking of instagram, anyone know of good pizza-making-centric accounts to follow?

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

bees x1000 posted:

super cool. I think I found you guys on instagram. And speaking of instagram, anyone know of good pizza-making-centric accounts to follow?

You could follow Joe Rosenthal for a wild mix of pizza content, hoagie content, impropriety by figures in food/fashion media, railing against antisemitism, and much more. All posted with full energy and an aggressively antagonistic style.

His NY pizza recipe does look good though.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.

bees x1000 posted:

I like Juan Perez, @juangpizza , he is the pizza guy at Posto in Boston and has a crazy efficient wood fired system going. He also shows his dough shaping techniques in detail which is helpful.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
i've been following joe beddia (at pizzacamp on instagram) and it's a shame i didn't have time to swing by his place when i was in philly during the summer

with detroit pies i sometimes wonder how much cheese cover i need, because i always end up with some weirdness happening and cheese pooling to one side or to the edges leaving a lot of bare spots

end product is still delicious though

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
Bless me pizza thread for I have sinned. I had leftovers from Taco night, soo...

The Taco calzone. Carne asada, carrot, coriander onion and lime, Chipotle and roasted pepper salsa, mozz.

Looks like poo poo, tastes pretty good.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Tacalzone

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I'm on a budget right now but I want to get a good pizza steel and peel. Right now I use the back of a cookie tray for a peel, and my rectangular (not wide enough) cast iron griddle as a steel. My pizzas come out pretty good but the griddle isn't wide enough and sometimes the pizza sticks to the back of the cookie tray.

Are there any recommended peels and steels that might go on sale at this time of year / black friday / etc? What websites should I keep an eye on, what brands are good, etc? I just use a home oven but it's decent and can go up to 550 degrees on broil, or 530 I think without broil.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This is what I use because it’s a cheat code for pizza sticking to the peel. It’s a conveyer belt sort of thing that eliminates the need to slide it off. You can either use enough semolina on a regular peel to make it not stick(“the right way”) or use this. I chose the latter.

But I have this and an aluminum peel which makes life easier when I’m making multiple pies because I can be putting one together on the peel while another pizza cooks and I have a peel free to take it out.

Super Peel Non-Stick Pro Composite - 14" Wide https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CLS8LLE

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

The cheapest steel you can get is going to be from a machine shop. You want A36 HRPO in whatever dimensions make sense for you. Give Metal supermarkets a try if there's one near you. That's where I got mine.

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

You want a wooden (not aluminum) peel for launching your pie into the oven. I'm not sure brand matters all that much; I have a bamboo peel that works great. It definitely takes practice-- I used parchment as training wheels for a good while-- but it's worth it.

Anyway, here are three pies from Sunday pizza night. Margherita, mushroom, thyme and homemade sausage, and sausage/olive/ricotta salata:

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

This is what I use because it’s a cheat code for pizza sticking to the peel. It’s a conveyer belt sort of thing that eliminates the need to slide it off. You can either use enough semolina on a regular peel to make it not stick(“the right way”) or use this. I chose the latter.

But I have this and an aluminum peel which makes life easier when I’m making multiple pies because I can be putting one together on the peel while another pizza cooks and I have a peel free to take it out.

Super Peel Non-Stick Pro Composite - 14" Wide https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CLS8LLE

I feel like I’d burn the cotton by placing it near the pizza steel. Do you just hover it over the steel and launch that way?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

nwin posted:

I feel like I’d burn the cotton by placing it near the pizza steel. Do you just hover it over the steel and launch that way?

You do it quickly and it definitely doesn't burn

I've used one for over a decade now and no burns

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.

Zombie Dachshund posted:

Anyway, here are three pies from Sunday pizza night. Margherita, mushroom, thyme and homemade sausage, and sausage/olive/ricotta salata:

These look excellent!

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
When you make several pizzas in your ooni koda, do you use the special brush after each one to clean it out?

I'm getting some unpleasant burned flour on the bottoms

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

The NY dough recipe I've been using includes a 12h poolish phase. I decided to skip that and I don't know if I can tell a difference.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Power Khan posted:

When you make several pizzas in your ooni koda, do you use the special brush after each one to clean it out?

I'm getting some unpleasant burned flour on the bottoms

Only time I use the brush/scraper mid session is if I had some sort of loading disaster or topping spillage that would mess up the next pies. Otherwise I just brush after it's cooled down (or before I fire up the oven). I think technically even the Ooni brush isn't supposed to be used while the oven is hot.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
A decade or so ago, I was experimenting with poolish and biga for pizza dough. I kind of concluded it only really did anything for particularly fussy flour; stuff that was really cheap and/or not even necessarily suitable for bread in the first place. Think discount all-purpose to which you've dumped a little gluten. In that case, it would make the dough "competitive" to just flinging out a sack of Caputo or KA bread flour.

Cold ferment is out of scope here. I think it has helped but never really tried to quantify it. It was easy enough to just prep dough balls nearly a week before and just let them do their thing in a fridge.

Edit: Artisinal flour could benefit from it from a hydration perspective, and you probably would have to bump water by 5% anyways.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
Honestly, I get away with the 15-30 minutes autolyse step before going to the bulk fermentation steps. Doing a poolish step didn’t seem worth it for me. Maybe if you’re doing a really temperamental whole wheat dough? The cold fermenting step is what really seems to take the dough from okay to great both in taste and texture. Maybe it’s more important for large batch sizes that most of us don’t deal with at home?

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Yeah I'm already not following this recipe entirely, using All Trumps instead of whatever 00 they're recommending, so I'm going to continue skipping the poolish in favor of an additional 12h in the fridge. Streamline.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Zombie Dachshund posted:

Holy poo poo that first pie :swoon:

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Guest wants a sausage and onion pizza. How thin do I need to slice the onions so they cook enough? I assume I’ll use white onions but I also have red if that’s better for some reason.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

For what it's worth, when I still ate chain pizza one of my favorites was barbeque chicken and red onion. I wanted the onions really thin because I like their flavor but not their texture.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Thinly sliced onion rings look better but I usually do diced red onion. Also I like raw sausage on top that cooks with the pizza.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
holy moly those all look great but the sausage and mushroom is incredible

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
Those are some niiiice looking Pizzas. Hard act to follow, so it's a good thing I'm loving around :

Halloween special

Stilton, black pudding, spiced wine jelly. This was suuuper nice if aesthetically abhorrent.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
Consider quick pickling red onions

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Human Tornada posted:

Thinly sliced onion rings look better but I usually do diced red onion. Also I like raw sausage on top that cooks with the pizza.

I give them a trip through the microwave before throwing them on the pizza. Vegetables just don't cook down in time.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I prefer veggies semi-raw, unless it's something like a tomato that could make the pizza watery.

drat, yesterday was my last day of a month-long vegan diet and now I'm really regretting not putting together a pizza for dinner tonight. All the takeout spots within 20 minutes suck.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

slave to my cravings posted:

Consider quick pickling red onions

Putting these on an otherwise rich (like sausage) pizza after cooking is a really nice contrast

My local place does an amazing house salad that's basically all pizza toppings: huge bowl of arugula with fresh toasted warm croutons from the oven, black olives, pickled red onions, chunks of fresh mozz and a sort of chimichurri style dressing, God it's good

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Swedes are ahead of the game with pizzasallad

Shame the actual pizza usually sucks

blixa
Jan 9, 2006

Kein bestandteil sein

NLJP posted:

Shame the actual pizza usually sucks

You take that back. When I go back to Sweden, I have to get pizza at least a couple of times because it's so much better than anything I can get around here.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

If I wanted a Detroit style dough with a little more flavor could I just use Kenji's and cold fermented for a couple days?

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Human Tornada posted:

If I wanted a Detroit style dough with a little more flavor could I just use Kenji's and cold fermented for a couple days?

Cold fermenting for longer will help and be great. You can also play with some fun and interesting stuff.

A little bit of malted milk powder(2%), or malt syrup(2%), or replace some flour with something more interesting like dark rye flour(10%).

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I put all sorts of stuff in my dough. Cornmeal, malt powder, honey, molasses, egg, egg yolk, milk, cream, nutritional yeast, really tons of stuff works pretty good in there to help complexify the flavor

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.
Very close to opening. loving utility companies can eat it…

Really getting the Sicilian style nailed down! Light as a cloud, crispy on the bottom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
mama fuckin mia