Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

therattle posted:

What if you like the funk?

Get some of that underwater funk:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHZswzk0424

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
oh god :(

I made tacos al pastor yesterday for a party and had some pineapple garnish and pineapples in the marinade

super loving hungover today, go to make a taco, im like all the way in to my prep and have the tortilla on the camal and everything, warmed my meat up and took a quick bite because I was so goddamn hungry

AND LITERALLY ITS LIKE I PUT A GIANT WAD OF poo poo IN MY MOUTH. THANKS ENZYMES FOR TURNING MY DELICIOUS PORK INTO MEAT SLUDGE. gently caress THE WORLD I JUST PUT A GIANT loving MEAT DIARRHEA IN MY MOUTH THIS IS AWESOME.

let this be a warning

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

gently caress YOU I'M RICK BAYLESS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YN3o-rclDtU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I needed lamb chops for lunch today, and by god, I had them.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

I like watching chefs I respect cut stuff, it makes me feel so much more :smug: about my my knife skills.

or quells some ridiculous insecurity I have or something that all professional cooks are prep machines who can pound through 100lb cases of onions in like 10 minutes.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
I had an awful dream that Wrought and Mr. Wrought showed up at my house while I was in New Hampshire with my friends this weekend. Because I had apparently planned a massive get together at my place the week before. But nobody (even the Wroughts!) had RSVP'd so I cancelled it. Unfortunately, they didn't get the cancel notice and showed up to my empty apartment and were sad. I woke up in tears, and then Puppy made me feel better so I went to sleep again somehow. And then I came here to make sure that I didn't actually invite Wrought to a party that I cancelled. :(

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Big disappointment this weekend. Picked up a 5 pound USDA prime rolled rib roast. It was a beautifully marbled, wonderful to look at, hunk of beef. Roasted it to medium rare.

Absolutely no flavor whatsoever.

It was seriously the blandest prime rib I've ever eaten. It was also the first time I think I've had actual prime prime rib.

Leftovers made decent chesesteaks the next night.

Never again.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Well, what did you season it with? Just S&P?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Normally that's all I do with a rib roast, but this time it was s&p, garlic powder, and some other herbs. It doesn't really matter though, as that stuff isn't going to penetrate meat. Maybe it was how the cow was finished or something, because it was just so bland.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Sounds like the cow was poorly finished. =/

I'm all about Maytag blue crusted primes now, I ran it as a special for our Sunday brunch a few weeks ago, and it is now making its way as an option for all of our prime carving options in banquets.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

http://www.myfoxny.com/story/19451605/mcdonalds-to-open-vegetarian-restaurant-in-india

hmmmm, this is certainly a thing, I guess.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I just watched the men's 1500m wheelchair race in the Paralympics. Holy poo poo, unfuckingbelievable. Try and catch it.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

dino. posted:

I had an awful dream that Wrought and Mr. Wrought showed up at my house while I was in New Hampshire with my friends this weekend. Because I had apparently planned a massive get together at my place the week before. But nobody (even the Wroughts!) had RSVP'd so I cancelled it. Unfortunately, they didn't get the cancel notice and showed up to my empty apartment and were sad. I woke up in tears, and then Puppy made me feel better so I went to sleep again somehow. And then I came here to make sure that I didn't actually invite Wrought to a party that I cancelled. :(

Awwwww! We've been down here in Virginia for the past month or so. We'd love to come up and hang with you two, but with work schedules being what they are we probably won't get up that way until we're on our way to Thanksgiving in Maine. Rest assured you didn't invite us to any cancelled parties!

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

So I'mma be goin to SF for my Bachelor Party. Trying to think of some places to eat for a nice dinner but nothing three star or whatever because I'd feel bad asking my best man to pay for a meal at tFL. Off the top of my head I was considering: Incanto, Sebo Sushi, maybe Mission Chinese. Any recommendations or other suggestions?

Appl
Feb 4, 2002

where da white womens at?

mindphlux posted:

THANKS ENZYMES FOR TURNING MY DELICIOUS PORK INTO MEAT SLUDGE.

If you boil the marinade for 5 mins (and let it cool) before you put it on the pork, then it will not turn your meat into mush. Also don't marinate it for more than an hour, and put the garnish on when you're ready to serve it.

:science:

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

The reason for it is because in India, there are enough vegetarians who will refuse to set foot in a meat serving restaurant. This is especially true of the more strict religious Hindus. And depending on where in the country you are, you'll have folk strict even about eggs. Like, in the stricter sectors of my family, you had some of my dad's kin folk refuse to eat my mum's cooking, because she had eggs in the house. IN THE HOUSE.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

I just yelled at a thunderstorm. Sang "Luang Prabang" by Dave Van Ronk as the rain hit me. It's either the drought or stress. Either will work, but it was cathartic.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
I harvested beets. The biggest was about 13 pounds, and there were lots of water smaller ones. I need the best borsht recipe.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I harvested beets. The biggest was about 13 pounds, and there were lots of water smaller ones. I need the best borsht recipe.

That's a big rear end beet. As much as it shames me, I've never had borsht. Hopefully some Eastern European goon helps you out, and then you all hook us up with a Big rear end Borsht recipe.

An observer
Aug 30, 2008

where the stars are drowning and whales ferry their vast souls through the black and seamless sea
Make some cold/summer borscht. It's basically the only cold soup I like. It's really nice in hot weather. Also hot pink.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

It's not hot anymore, though.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
What was your pastor recipe/process mindphlux? I was doing some thinking how to approximate the doner tradition. I was thinking either pounded loin grilled or pounded shoulder roasted a little then grilled. Cut thin against the grain either way.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Eat This Glob posted:

I just yelled at a thunderstorm. Sang "Luang Prabang" by Dave Van Ronk as the rain hit me. It's either the drought or stress. Either will work, but it was cathartic.

TBH, that's a good song to yell at a storm. Better than some cliche metal song. I love you, Pandora, for letting me know of that song.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

GrAviTy84 posted:

So I'mma be goin to SF for my Bachelor Party. Trying to think of some places to eat for a nice dinner but nothing three star or whatever because I'd feel bad asking my best man to pay for a meal at tFL. Off the top of my head I was considering: Incanto, Sebo Sushi, maybe Mission Chinese. Any recommendations or other suggestions?

these are 3 radically different places! um, commonwealth is p. cool, as is park tavern. if i got to do mine again though, i'd rent the bottom room in beretta.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

Manuel Calavera posted:

TBH, that's a good song to yell at a storm. Better than some cliche metal song. I love you, Pandora, for letting me know of that song.

Gotta ask you where Pandora sent you on that path, Miggy. I love Pandora, I love Van Ronk. What was our common thread?

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

No Wave posted:

What was your pastor recipe/process mindphlux? I was doing some thinking how to approximate the doner tradition. I was thinking either pounded loin grilled or pounded shoulder roasted a little then grilled. Cut thin against the grain either way.

a really good mexican taco place near me does their al pastor style tacos using really small cubes of meat and pineapples. it's not true al pastor style (IE doner style), but their version tastes loving amazing and I can get pretty bad cravings for it. so marinated some really fatty 'dark meat' bone in pork steaks for several hours, and grilled them really hot/fast to get a crunchy char. then chopped it up into .5-1cm cubes.

my problem was, I reserved some of the marinade to toss in after cubing. meant to boil the marinade before mixing it back in to the finished product, but it was a party, and drinking happens. and then when someone put the pork away, they just tossed in all the little pineapple cubes with the meat. ohwell!

come to think of it, I don't think I've ever had true al pastor doner style. I love doners so loving much, it'd probably knock my socks off. :/

america needs more slowly rotating meat on sticks

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007

mindphlux posted:

america needs more slowly rotating meat on sticks

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Food on sticks, food in buckets - love the idea of them more than the actual food though.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Yeah, this is a place a mile from my house in the deepest suburbs of Minnesota. Pretty loving awesome.

Fatty that I am it's all about the trip over for Alambres Al Pastor:

al pastor, peppers, bacon, onions, cilantro and cheese over a bed of corn tortillas

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Tu pastor tiene demasiado queso.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Nice beets. I bought another 25 pounds for $12 because I can't loving resist those prices.

I posted my borscht recipe for the throwdown, and I've been pretty happy with it. The basics:
- Start with oxtail or beef shank.
- Go heavy on the initial sear.
- Cook with beer. Wine is okay, but a decent lager will add a slight hoppy bitterness that plays well with both sweet and sour.
- Spice with allspice, caraway, clove.
- Sourness from sauerkraut (ideal) or a heavy hand with sour cream/yogurt.

It varies a lot by region. Here is an article written by someone of eastern European extraction with a slightly different approach that I'm sure is delicious as well.

bartolimu fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Sep 5, 2012

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

bartolimu posted:

Nice beets. I bought another 25 pounds for $12 because I can't loving resist those prices.

I posted my borscht recipe for the throwdown, and I've been pretty happy with it. The basics:
- Cook with beer. Wine is okay, but a decent lager will add a slight hoppy bitterness that plays well with both sweet and sour.

It varies a lot by region. Here is an article written by someone of Polish extraction with a slightly different approach that I'm sure is delicious as well.

Thanks Bart!

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

bartolimu posted:

It varies a lot by region. Here is an article written by someone of eastern European extraction with a slightly different approach that I'm sure is delicious as well.

I am missing something here. Do you puree the beets? When do they go in?

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo
This is pretty close to how I make borscht but I throw in some garlic and only about a 1/2c dill. I don't bother chilling and skimming.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Bertrand Hustle posted:

I am missing something here. Do you puree the beets? When do they go in?
I don't puree because I like chunky borscht, but you certainly could and someone somewhere would still recognize it as borscht. I roast or boil the beets separately until mostly cooked but still firm, dice them, then finish in the soup pot for about a half hour to get the whole thing the proper color. When I was cooking more one-pot stuff in Europe (mostly because I could only spare one burner), I diced the raw beets and simmered them in the soup for ~1.5 hours before serving.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

I have a lot of beet, so I'll have to try this a couple of ways. Also, I'm nearing time to butcher another pig, so I might try this with a pig based broth instead of a beef based broth as well.

Defect Mechanism
Jun 2, 2005
Pants McGee's Shoost Butan

MisterOblivious posted:

Yeah, this is a place a mile from my house in the deepest suburbs of Minnesota. Pretty loving awesome.

Where in MN is this tasty goodness? I am more than willing to travel for something that isn't Scandinavian fare

Defect Mechanism
Jun 2, 2005
Pants McGee's Shoost Butan
Well posting from a phone is harder than I thought it'd be :-(

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Defect Mechanism posted:

Well posting from a phone is harder than I thought it'd be :-(

Have you the Awful app? Despite the name, it's not awful. (Quite the reverse).

Wiggles, make this:
http://www.riverford.co.uk/feed/in:recipes/beetroot-gratin/

I use rosemary, and par-cook the sliced beets (which I cut using a food processor) in a microwave. They take a LONG time to look in the oven - longer than the recipe says. You want them real melty soft. It's REALLY good.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

therattle posted:

Have you the Awful app? Despite the name, it's not awful. (Quite the reverse).

Wiggles, make this:
http://www.riverford.co.uk/feed/in:recipes/beetroot-gratin/

I use rosemary, and par-cook the sliced beets (which I cut using a food processor) in a microwave. They take a LONG time to look in the oven - longer than the recipe says. You want them real melty soft. It's REALLY good.

You can make an awesome veggie burger using shredded beets as a base. Can't recall the recipe off the top of my head, but I know it had panko, minced roasted creminis, ground flax seed, chopped pumpkin seed, and stuff like Worcestershire for seasoning. Incredibly good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Defect Mechanism posted:

Where in MN is this tasty goodness? I am more than willing to travel for something that isn't Scandinavian fare

Taqueria La Hacienda

I go to the Burnsville one off 35w & 13 but there are 2 on Lake Street. There's no shortage of little taco shops in the metro if you hit google: there's another one a mile east of the one I linked and 2-3 out in Shakopee. If you don't mind braving Lake Street there are at least a dozen of these places along it.

City Pages restaurant search is pretty useful and the weekly reviews and food section usually isn't bad.