Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

Pupdive makes a good general point, no one is ever going to be able to recommend the gear you prefer. I recommended Zoops, despite not owning one, simply because it's cheap and it works well. On thinking about it, a bit cold water centric as it's also got a big display and big buttons, which might not be as important in better vis without thick gloves.

A computer is, probably, the most worthwhile purchase just because it's great for diving with, you should really have one you're familiar with and they are generally a pain in the rear end to rent. I'd even say think about getting a used one off eBay, find out what you like or don't about it and use that, and your evolution of diving needs, to choose a second longer term computer.

Suunto is a good brand, they're regarded by some as overly conservative for deco but if you're starting out that really isn't a problem. I've got an oceanic Geo 2, bought second hand to replace an Aladin prime (lost) that was also second hand. I find some display things I don't like as much with the oceanic, like when it goes into deco it stops showing dive time on the main screen and gives ascent time.

I'd treat your first purchase as a trial, unless you have access to test out a selection of dive gear. Get something that is cheap enough you can sell it on without worrying or get something cheap with a gauge mode that can become a back up if you move on our don't like it that much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
We have Suunto Cobras and while we're happy with them and not looking to replace, I would not say they are a must buy.

They are extremely conservative about deco and that's fine early on, but once you get better about consumption, you find yourself with less bottom time than most other people until you get nitrox certified.

The menu structures are a bit weird to work out at first but you'll figure it out and be fine. I assume some other computers do a much better job with this though.

The air integration and battery life are both real nice. The ability to download dive profiles with an additional $80 (maybe less?I don't remember exactly) cable is also nice but I think I've done it once.

So a Cobra is fine but know what you're getting into with it.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

lord1234 posted:

The best computer out there is probably a Shearwater, but its definitely overkill for a brand new diver. But its one you won't ever grow out of...

Sooner or later I will pick up a petrel or perdix until then my old Zoop is fine..

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:
If you don't have a d9 with the titanium bracelet how will other pros know your legit in the bar?

That said I do love an everyday wearable even if they are £££

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

pupdive posted:

Here's the problem with most suggestions you get for dive gear: People naturally tend to grow into their equipment or just simply grow fond of it because people invest emotionally in high price purchases of all kinds, so the answer to "What do you recommend?" is most often the answer to "What do you use yourself?"

People diving for a living end up either not caring at all about gear (since really, anything works), or having opinions about gear that most people simply can't/don't follow.**

Best bet: rent or borrow something and see what you do not like about it. There's always something to not like about gear. If that thing does not bother you, and the price is right, then have at it.

** In this case, the only thing that matters about a computer is whether it is is easy to put on, and leave on. Most people who ruin or lose their computers do so because they do not prioritize this when choosing their computer, and the computer gets put someplace weird in between dives, and gets lost, or gets left on the boat half the time.

This is why most people who dive for a living end up with watch style dive computers. Because they learned this the hard way.

This is great advice.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Best gear advice I ever got was to make sure I got a wetsuit that fit like a glove, regardless of brand or style. Makes a hell of a difference.

Anyway, I did some more glorious California diving (southern this time) so it's time for more pictures as part of my never-ending California dive evangelism :-)

Green sea turtle! In California!!! I'd heard of them, but never seen one anywhere but the tropics. Not the greatest picture, but it's a California sea turtle, so whatever.

A big old majestic male sheepshead. We were diving in reserves, so it was great to see giant guys like this with zero fear.

Cute little horn shark

Remember that scene from Transporting with the baby on the ceiling?

Female sheepshead being aggressive with each other

California's marine fish, and the largest damsel species, the Garibaldi! This guy is an older juvenile so he's losing the blue, adults are solid orange.

DeadlyMuffin fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Sep 22, 2016

pupdive
Jun 13, 2012

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Best gear advice I ever got was to make sure I got a wetsuit that fit like a glove, regardless of brand or style. Makes a hell of a difference.

I wish more people understood this. Wetsuits that are easy to put on are just basically clothes made from neoprene. Zippers on the legs and arms and velocro cuffs mean that the suit is probably just neoprene clothes.

Part of the problem is people do so much diving in the tropics where they get baggy wetsuits, and think this is how they should fit. In the tropics you should dive with no suit wherever/whenever possible. Concentrate on getting dry and warm/hot between dives.

The worst thing is watching people get cold between dives because they stay in their wetsuits, and don't understand evaporative cooling and core temperature heat loss.

In between dives, wetsuits make you cold.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
That's an interesting point, pupdive. We used to dive with baggy shorties and it didn't really matter. Now, though, I've been cold in Turks and Caicos, Bimini, st Lucia, basically anywhere with more than 40' depth with a full 3.5mm wetsuit, same with my wife. We actually were miserably cold doing a night dive in key largo with those.

I just assumed that was because we learned in the Caribbean with shorties that didn't fit and we were flailing then and now are efficient so we don't generate heat... Any advice to not be cold would be fantastic!

E: our wetsuits are tight and have just the back zipper

E2: My real question is how the hell you can dive a west Caicos wall or something similar with no suit?

let it mellow fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Sep 23, 2016

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

jackyl posted:

That's an interesting point, pupdive. We used to dive with baggy shorties and it didn't really matter. Now, though, I've been cold in Turks and Caicos, Bimini, st Lucia, basically anywhere with more than 40' depth with a full 3.5mm wetsuit, same with my wife. We actually were miserably cold doing a night dive in key largo with those.

The 3.5 full would be my recommendation, with the caveat it be one that fits really well.

The addition of a hooded vest can be nice too: it adds another layer, makes your suit even tighter at the torso, and makes water circulation more difficult.

jackyl posted:

E2: My real question is how the hell you can dive a west Caicos wall or something similar with no suit?

Be a big heavy guy.I did an hour long dive in 50 degree water with a huge dude in a 3/5 wetsuit. I was sure he was going to freeze and call it as soon as we hit the water, but he had no problem at all. Same trick seals use.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

Another useful tip is a wind proof jacket to wear between dives. If it's a cold out then having a fleece and half taking off the wetsuit works well. This is based on RIB diving where taking the suit off isn't really practical. Alternatively if you're regularly diving in cold conditions then just get a dry suit. Membrane suits work well for adjusting with different undersuit options.

In the UK we now advise novices to just hire wetsuits and if they're going to continue diving here then get a dry suit. Don't bother buying a wetsuit because it's just too miserable between dives.

pupdive
Jun 13, 2012

MrNemo posted:

Another useful tip is a wind proof jacket to wear between dives.

Exactly. Except that I think people are thinking thin jacket instead of thick warm wind proof when they hear wind proof. A warm, thick fleece really should be one of the first things a traveling diver buys. It's maybe more useful than anything else in adding enjoyment to the experience, and it is simply not available for rent or sale at destination diving spots.

(Although, hey, we have them for our divers!)

A diver often, and even usually, loses body heat during the SI. Leaving the their wetsuit on between dives can lose as much heat during the SI as during the dive. Unless covered by something warm and windproof.

Really, the more people look at staying warm as an all-day exercise, the happier they will be. Sea-sickness is an all trip management issue, so is hydration. People are happy to manage those things, but they do not (for whatever reason) similarly manage exposure issues, both thermal and skin damage.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
I didn't do a good job with my question, it's really about this:

pupdive posted:

A diver often, and even usually, loses body heat during the SI. Leaving the their wetsuit on between dives can lose as much heat during the SI as during the dive. Unless covered by something warm and windproof.

I can see that in a not hot environment, like the cold as hell Keys night dive I mentioned, we ripped the wet suits off immediately and dried off. But is this true even in real hot environments, say a normal Caribbean dive? We tend to leave them on, maybe peel back the top when it seems too warm, but if we're really setting ourselves up to be colder on the next dive, that's good to know.

One exception was Bonaire since I sure as hell wasnt driving the hi-lux in a wet suit.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

DeadlyMuffin posted:

The 3.5 full would be my recommendation, with the caveat it be one that fits really well

sorry for double post, phone posting. Yes, this is where we've been for a few years and it's funny, because we are way over suited compared to most people we dive with. And yes, we aren't well insulated naturally so there's that, but I'm curious about this whole SI wetsuits on makes you colder thing.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

Water transfers heat a lot faster and on a surface interval you're going to be drying off. Basically you've got evaporative cooling on a large scale so even if it's a reasonable temperature which you'd be comfortable with in shorts and a T-shirt, in a wetsuit you could well get cold if you're not in the hot sun. I've gotten really cold in south East Asia after a dive simply because I was in shade and it was quite windy and that was without a wetsuit.

At least that's my understanding of it, happy to be corrected but the best way to stay warm is towel off and put on a warm jacket. Of course if you've dived in these places, kept the wetsuit on and been fine don't worry too much about it but if you find you get cold on the second dive then try it.

pupdive
Jun 13, 2012
The fact that we as people can feel the direct effects of evaporative cooling when it is our bare skin, and not when it is on the outermost layer of a wet wetsuit, is an unfortunate fact. But the evaporative cooling from the outside layer of a wetsuit takes core heat away.

There was a great article about this somewhere I read recently that had better explanations than I am apparently able to give, but if you know anyone who spends time outdoors in cold weather, they know this: Being cold is bad, being wet can kill you (in wintertime). It's the same thing in warmer weather, just not as ingrained.

Water is just brutally effective at transporting heat away from your body. Staying wet on the outside in hot weather, is a fantastic way to shed heat, because evaporative cooling (and convective cooling) works really well. It's why we humans sweat, and why summertime is full of misting fans, and swimming pools.

Air, on the other hand is a great insulator. After all, all the insulating layers in drysuit undergarments are not inherent 'warm', they are just places for air to be. That even why there are bubbles in neoprene wetsuits, to use air insulation, to slow the transfer of heat from the inside water to the outside.

Staying in a typical wetsuit between dives leverage the worst of both worlds. It removes the air insulating layer that keeps our bodies from cooling to room temperature, and it keep the evaporative cooling system working full blast.

Like with many aspect of diving, our bodies learned strategies to deal with a lot of environmental factors. But diving is outside of those experiences.

To really blow your mind on this topic, spend some time reading about the women pearl divers of Japan, who did their diving naked to avoid getting cold. At least until the US Occupation.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

pupdive posted:

I wish more people understood this. Wetsuits that are easy to put on are just basically clothes made from neoprene. Zippers on the legs and arms and velocro cuffs mean that the suit is probably just neoprene clothes.

Part of the problem is people do so much diving in the tropics where they get baggy wetsuits, and think this is how they should fit. In the tropics you should dive with no suit wherever/whenever possible. Concentrate on getting dry and warm/hot between dives.

The worst thing is watching people get cold between dives because they stay in their wetsuits, and don't understand evaporative cooling and core temperature heat loss.

In between dives, wetsuits make you cold.

A wetsuit in a tropical place can still be really nice if it's relatively thin, sometimes tropical waters get cold too (just not as cold)

And for those feeling cold, definitely try using a hood. It may seem like it'd be inconsequential but it really makes a world of difference

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Trying to figure out where to take the kid diving over Spring Break 2017.... on a budget. Looking for ideas.

Is it possible to find a 3 or 4 (or more) day charter in the southern US.... would prefer Gulf of Mexico or Atlantic Florida.... for 2 people, in the neighborhood of $1200? CONUS, we'll be driving. Open Water certifications.

Multiple charters, like 2-tank dives in a day with some driving in between... would be fine.

Just looking for ideas. Last year we hit most of the springs in central Florida. Would like to do a little more salt this time.

Yes, I know, scuba diving isn't really the proper hobby to do on a budget. But here we are.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
I've heard that Belize is nice, though I've never been. It has its own barrier reef and they also speak English.

Not southern US, but same timezone and not THAT much farther.

lord1234
Oct 1, 2008

GORDON posted:

Trying to figure out where to take the kid diving over Spring Break 2017.... on a budget. Looking for ideas.

Is it possible to find a 3 or 4 (or more) day charter in the southern US.... would prefer Gulf of Mexico or Atlantic Florida.... for 2 people, in the neighborhood of $1200? CONUS, we'll be driving. Open Water certifications.

Multiple charters, like 2-tank dives in a day with some driving in between... would be fine.

Just looking for ideas. Last year we hit most of the springs in central Florida. Would like to do a little more salt this time.

Yes, I know, scuba diving isn't really the proper hobby to do on a budget. But here we are.

Have you looked into the Flower Gardens out of Texas? http://flingcharters.com/

That's inside your price range and in the Gulf for 3 days.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Trivia posted:

I've heard that Belize is nice, though I've never been. It has its own barrier reef and they also speak English.

Not southern US, but same timezone and not THAT much farther.

Belize owns and is relatively cheap, but the guy said he was driving. Can't really get to Ambergris that way.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

GORDON posted:

Jupiter / West Palm Beach could probably be done for 1200, VRBO and $50 nitrox dives from dive from boat.

We are diving Jupiter this weekend

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Blue Heron Bridge, or offshore? Bridge was pretty cool, all sorts of colorful nudibranchs, baby rays, and horseshoe crabs running around down there :3:

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Icon Of Sin posted:

Blue Heron Bridge, or offshore? Bridge was pretty cool, all sorts of colorful nudibranchs, baby rays, and horseshoe crabs running around down there :3:

We are diving Juno ledge and the new wreck tomorrow. Sunday likely shark alley and ??

We may try to snorkel at blue heron one evening, is it worth the time to load up my scuba gear for an evening dive?

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Ropes4u posted:

We are diving Juno ledge and the new wreck tomorrow. Sunday likely shark alley and ??

We may try to snorkel at blue heron one evening, is it worth the time to load up my scuba gear for an evening dive?

You've got to time it with the tides, we timed it to 1/2 hr before high tide and were down for an hour. This group seems like they do night dives there every two weeks, but the last one they did was yesterday: https://www.force-e.com/blue-heron-bridge-diving/ I think this is who we talked to before getting in the water there, but that was March of last year so I don't quite remember exactly. They'll still probably be a good bet for any info you'd need, and if the hurricane brewing out in the Atlantic blows out your offshore charters you might still be able to steal a few shore dives.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Your post got me to thinking about what happens under the hurricane. It looks like you would be safe, below 300 feet ...

http://www.rsmas.miami.edu/blog/2012/10/22/what-happens-underwater-during-a-hurricane/

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

lord1234 posted:

Have you looked into the Flower Gardens out of Texas? http://flingcharters.com/

That's inside your price range and in the Gulf for 3 days.

Ha! Actually I did, 2 days ago. They want you to be 12, my kid is 11.

So 2018 on that.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Ropes4u posted:

Jupiter / West Palm Beach could probably be done for 1200, VRBO and $50 nitrox dives from dive from boat.

We are diving Jupiter this weekend

I looked at that, and the Blue Heron Bridge, as well a couple days ago. I thought it was a lock until I saw where it was... we're driving down from Ohio, south Florida is a lot farther than Gulf Shores, Alabama, for example.... but I am going to reconsider it. There doesn't seem to be much good diving north of Cocoa Beach. (We dove a wreck off NC last Summer..... vis was about 10 feet, and very rough).

I found a charter here in the correct time frame, but they are very short on specifics:

http://truebluewatersports.com/trips---events.html

Going to call them today to see what the dives are. For some reason they only say "4 dives."

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Ropes4u posted:

Your post got me to thinking about what happens under the hurricane. It looks like you would be safe, below 300 feet ...

http://www.rsmas.miami.edu/blog/2012/10/22/what-happens-underwater-during-a-hurricane/

I'd forgotten about the stories of hurricanes manipulating shipwrecks. We've got a tugboat wreck here (R. R. Stone) that got its wheelhouse blown off by a storm, but I want to say there was a massive wreck (ship length > 500 ft) that sank on its side down in the keys and got turned upright by a hurricane.

e: it was the Spiegel Grove, and hurricane Dennis. 510 ft of ship turned from on its side to upright :stare:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Spiegel_Grove_(LSD-32)

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Icon Of Sin posted:

I'd forgotten about the stories of hurricanes manipulating shipwrecks. We've got a tugboat wreck here (R. R. Stone) that got its wheelhouse blown off by a storm, but I want to say there was a massive wreck (ship length > 500 ft) that sank on its side down in the keys and got turned upright by a hurricane.

e: it was the Spiegel Grove, and hurricane Dennis. 510 ft of ship turned from on its side to upright :stare:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Spiegel_Grove_(LSD-32)

Water and Mother Nature combine to make a powerful and harsh mistress.

I didn't know wiki listed fatalities on wrecks.

Out of the 8 deaths on the Spiegel Grove there are one out of air and four penetration deaths. The others appear to be medical conditions. I think it's easy to underestimate the risk of diving, or maybe more so to underestimate the consequences of any diving incident.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

So the last few trips off shore I have barfed as soon as I surfaced, I felt no nausea during the dive. As soon as surfaced after the next dive when I puked again.

This has happened on the last three trips with varying conditions from glass smooth to the 3-5 foot swells this trip. I have never been sea sick, including a five year stint on a ship and a ton of off shore fishing trips.

I plan on calling DAN Monday but thought I would see if anyone has had similar experiences.

Pro tip - pineapple and McDonald's both taste better the first time.

pupdive
Jun 13, 2012
Some people puke in the pool at the surface if you make them actually be neutrally buoyant during training. And many of these people would think they never get seasick.

There is a difference between motion sick when firmly weighted down by body weight, and being motion sick in weightless conditions. Add to the fact that you probably remove your mask when you get to the surface, suddenly and dramatically changing your vision, and puking's not so unexpected.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Today was better a little nausea but I'm fairly sure it's my ear not equalizing the same (sinus issues) or idk. This puts me around 40 dives and I have only got sick on the last three trips.

I leave my mask on until I am on the boat, i equalized more often and the seas were calmer today. Who knows maybe I'm a sea sick weenie.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

The only times I've had that happen were when my seasickness meds wore off/I didn't take enough. I'm usually first and worst for feeding fish from the side of the boat, until I figured out that chewing a dramamine on top of taking another one was the only way that I was ever going to get along with dive boats. It's probably hell on my liver and other parts of my body, but since I started doing that I've not had any issues with nausea above or below water.

pupdive
Jun 13, 2012

Ropes4u posted:

Today was better a little nausea but I'm fairly sure it's my ear not equalizing the same (sinus issues) or idk. This puts me around 40 dives and I have only got sick on the last three trips.

I leave my mask on until I am on the boat, i equalized more often and the seas were calmer today. Who knows maybe I'm a sea sick weenie.

There are people who develop seasickness later in life. A dive boat/fishing charter captain got a bad cold, that turned into an ear infection, that started him becoming seasick. Over time it got worse and worse until he had to quit driving and work on boats in dry-dock.

Inner ear infection of certain types are basically the same as being seasick 24 hours a day, apparently.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Took me a while to find this pic... this is my poor kid the first time I took him on an ocean charter, before we knew whether or not he would be prone to seasickness.

The answer was "Yup."

Scopolamine patches fixed him up for the next trip though, so YAY.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Fleeing from the hurricane solved my sea sickness question for a bit..

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

I am considering a TG4 package instead of a GoPro since when I hike I prefer to shoot photos more than video.

I was thinking about picking up the camera, case, and flash (inon or S&S YS03) from an online vendor. To get rolling and see how I like it long term. I would be shooting macros, fish as. Eat I could and a few shots of my wife while diving. I might add a budget video light,
wide angle lens and a focus light down the road.

Unexpected
Jan 5, 2010

You're gonna need
a bigger boat.
Hi,

My wife and I have recently started a PADI open water course and we're going to Pennsylvania (Dutch Springs) for certification in two weeks (we're in New York).

We have a trip scheduled for later this year that will (assuming we pass) involve some diving and I would like to buy a dive computer. Not looking for anything very expensive since I'm not sure I'm going to enjoy the experience enough to keep diving but if I do, it could at some point become a backup.

Beyond basics, which I think most devices have (depth, ascent/descent speed, multi dive tracking/time calculation, safety stop alarm, etc.) I'm looking for just one thing - ability to download dive information to a computer. It would also be nice to have GPS tracking (e.g. by communicating with a transmitter on a boat) but that's secondary. Any suggestions?

Thank you.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Unexpected posted:

Hi,

My wife and I have recently started a PADI open water course and we're going to Pennsylvania (Dutch Springs) for certification in two weeks (we're in New York).

We have a trip scheduled for later this year that will (assuming we pass) involve some diving and I would like to buy a dive computer. Not looking for anything very expensive since I'm not sure I'm going to enjoy the experience enough to keep diving but if I do, it could at some point become a backup.

Beyond basics, which I think most devices have (depth, ascent/descent speed, multi dive tracking/time calculation, safety stop alarm, etc.) I'm looking for just one thing - ability to download dive information to a computer. It would also be nice to have GPS tracking (e.g. by communicating with a transmitter on a boat) but that's secondary. Any suggestions?

Thank you.

I like my Zoop well enough, when we decide to replace them we will upgrade to a Perdix 2. Not that I need a perdix right now but the bigger numerals will be nice for my older eyes and I plan on continuing my training into tech diving.

For recreational diving your budget will be more of a determining factor than needs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost

Unexpected posted:

Hi,

Thank you.

The current cheapest dive computer (I think) is the Mares Puck (~$150). The next set are the Suunto Zoop, Leonardo Cressi and Aqua Lung i300 (there may be others, I'm not sure). They are priced from $200-$300, some are easier to get for $200 than the others. All four connect to computers. The subtle differences between the 4 computers are immaterial for new divers and should you get super advanced they will make decent backups. Go to a store, play with them, buy the one you happen to like the most for literally any reason.