Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
The white collar can afford private insurance when it disappears. I would think that would be my obvious point.

Don't mind me, I've just been very pessimistic lately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Cheer up eh

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Yeah, come on. Roll up is on.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I don't drink coffee. Hell, I only go to Tims once or twice a year.

CLAM DOWN posted:

Cheer up eh

Just hasn't been the same since John Candy and Leslie Nielsen died. :smith:

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

Mister Macys posted:

I don't drink coffee. Hell, I only go to Tims once or twice a year.

No purchase necessary! :toot:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I'll post something on topic: first three months of Public Mobile went by without a hitch. And whatever problem they had with adding debit cards seems to have been fixed.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Mister Macys posted:

I'll post something on topic: first three months of Public Mobile went by without a hitch. And whatever problem they had with adding debit cards seems to have been fixed.

Same here. No problems at all.

Though I do wish there more uh... data, on my data usage. More specifically, a way to tally up data usage by billing period or even month. I know I didn't go over my limit but I don't know much I ended up using in total. I guess the way to do it is to remember to check the site just before a new billing period to see what the current total is.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
I got a text warning that I hit 75% at public mobile, which was nice.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

BANME.sh posted:

I got a text warning that I hit 75% at public mobile, which was nice.

Same.

waxluthor
May 28, 2003
After more than 3 months and 4 chat sessions with Fido customer service I finally received the refund cheque for my last bill credit. :toot:

Pretty happy with Public Mobile, no issues with me as well. I use "Data Witness PM" app to track my usage, it's pretty handy and free for Public Mobile users.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
FYI with Public Mobile if you have autopay set up and your card gets declined, they'll suspend your account immediately and you won't be able to use data, text, or make any calls. Found that out the hard way this week when my card expired on my wife's account and I forgot to update it last month. Luckily if you sign in and process the payment manually, the suspension is lifted immediately. Something to be aware of.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

waxluthor posted:

After more than 3 months and 4 chat sessions with Fido customer service I finally received the refund cheque for my last bill credit. :toot:

Pretty happy with Public Mobile, no issues with me as well. I use "Data Witness PM" app to track my usage, it's pretty handy and free for Public Mobile users.

Woah what a great company... a free app to check your usage? My heavens blessings be to public mobile

Fuckin sheep

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Nitr0 posted:

Woah what a great company... a free app to check your usage? My heavens blessings be to public mobile

Fuckin sheep

Uh, considering bell/Satan/Telus' collective history for charging customers for literally anything and everything, it's a legitimate plus they they didn't try it here.

But, yeah, you're pretty edgy and cool, man.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

JoelJoel posted:

Uh, considering bell/Satan/Telus' collective history for charging customers for literally anything and everything, it's a legitimate plus they they didn't try it here.

But, yeah, you're pretty edgy and cool, man.

What. Do you think Rogers charges their customers to check their data usage? What?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

What. Do you think Rogers charges their customers to check their data usage? What?

To be fair, Satan's numbers were at least 24-72 hours behind their own website in my day, to guarantee you paying overage fees if you were cutting it close.

Rogers delenda est

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Mister Macys posted:

To be fair, Satan's numbers were at least 24-72 hours behind their own website in my day, to guarantee you paying overage fees if you were cutting it close.

Rogers delenda est

I've been on Rogers data plans since the day the iPhone hit Canada, and I cut it close to my cap some months, and I've literally never experienced that.

Just in case you misunderstand me, I'm not defending Rogers, they're awful, but it's so weird how some of you want to nitpick these untrue things when there are sooooo many legit criticisms to level at those criminals.

waxluthor
May 28, 2003

Nitr0 posted:

Fuckin sheep

It's a third party app made by some dude who uses PM and lets you set 60/90-day billing cycles since default Android tracker doesn't do that. Chill the gently caress out.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

I've been on Rogers data plans since the day the iPhone hit Canada, and I cut it close to my cap some months, and I've literally never experienced that.

Just in case you misunderstand me, I'm not defending Rogers, they're awful, but it's so weird how some of you want to nitpick these untrue things when there are sooooo many legit criticisms to level at those criminals.

I'm not arguing, I'm just giving my experience (with their wired internet cap monitoring- hey, I'm trying to be a demagogue here). It was always behind what it actually was.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Worst case I find their mobile app data tracking to be maybe a couple hours behind, and compared to the built in Android data tracker the Rogers one usually comes in at less consumption which is nice. I don't think they zero rate anything yet?....??

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

waxluthor posted:

Thanks for this! Just downloaded it.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

So Re: unlocking I bought a service for 10 bucks on eBay as suggested on the last page and they are telling me IMEI is rejected by Bell. I did the service check and there's an X by network and it says 10 so from what I read that part should be good. Could it be stolen or something?

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

Nitr0 posted:

Fuckin sheep

Most of Public Mobile's plans are over 90 day periods, and most phones only let you track usage over one month. So yeah, that is pretty useful.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

BANME.sh posted:

FYI with Public Mobile if you have autopay set up and your card gets declined, they'll suspend your account immediately and you won't be able to use data, text, or make any calls. Found that out the hard way this week when my card expired on my wife's account and I forgot to update it last month. Luckily if you sign in and process the payment manually, the suspension is lifted immediately. Something to be aware of.

You can have autopay setup for the $6 bux and 'prepay' the the next term as a balance in your account to avoid this. I do this, you all should do this like a week before the payment is to go through.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

waxluthor posted:

It's a third party app made by some dude who uses PM and lets you set 60/90-day billing cycles since default Android tracker doesn't do that. Chill the gently caress out.

Woah cool. Glad some dude is making some ad revenue when your bottom bucket carrier (oh wait no it's the billion dollar conglomerate in sheep's clothing) refuses to do any more than the bare minimum of customer support, but hey you get 4gb of data!

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Nitr0 posted:

Woah cool. Glad some dude is making some ad revenue when your bottom bucket carrier (oh wait no it's the billion dollar conglomerate in sheep's clothing) refuses to do any more than the bare minimum of customer support, but hey you get 4gb of data!

Do you work for a carrier or something? Maybe we should all just pay $100 a month per line for 2gb and like it :shrug:

PM gives you first class coverage, speed, and data for a low price with some conditions. It's a trade many people are happy to make.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
My point is you shouldn't have to sacrifice those things. I don't work for a carrier I just hate Telus. Garbage company.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
All the carriers are the same, don't waste your time with hatred to a specific one. Get the cheapest deal, and move on when you need to.

That said please own BCE, RCI.B, and T as your bluechips :ssh:

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

We just need a coordinated citizens effort to track and bring down Google Loon baloons should they wander across the jet stream and we can tether them to cranes and dangle them from the CN tower and give us all decent wifi coverage.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Nitr0 posted:

My point is you shouldn't have to sacrifice those things. I don't work for a carrier I just hate Telus. Garbage company.

Shut the gently caress up, please.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

JoelJoel posted:

Shut the gently caress up, please.

Whoa that's so edgy, and cool

e: nice meltdown

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
I mean, goonisms aside, you'll allow a man to vent about canadian telecom in here because you live here too.

Unless it's you that works for a telco?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

While you're all flaming each other, take a moment out to tell me what's the best/cheapest place to get a Bell Z3 unlocked.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
Ebay

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Tried one service for ten bucks, told me IMEI was rejected but if I pay 17.99 USD instead of the initial 7.62 they could do it. Checked with bell and everything is legit so I dunno.

The thing I wanna know is if all these guys on eBay can do it, how are they doing it?

codo27 fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Feb 16, 2017

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

codo27 posted:

Tried one service for ten bucks, told me IMEI was rejected but if I pay 17.99 USD instead of the initial 7.62 they could do it. Checked with bell and everything is legit so I dunno.

Your problem was not throwing enough money at unaccountable websites offering greymarket services. Try risking $20 this time.

https://www.quickphoneunlock.com/unlock/

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

A second eBay seller failed to unlock for me. Trying your link now

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Zigmidge posted:

I mean, goonisms aside, you'll allow a man to vent about canadian telecom in here because you live here too.

Unless it's you that works for a telco?

Real breaking news that telecom sucks in Canada. People were sharing helpful information and dickhole up there was being a petulant poo poo.

I did work for one of the big 3 when I was a teenager and I can confirm that they hate their customers as much as you think. We once had a guy come in with a bill in excess of 50k for one month in one line. He had signed up for a new account and got a 3 months unlimited data (this was back when data was like $10 a Mb). He used his first unlimited month to tether and ran through several gigs; promo code didn't go through properly or something similar. Customer service told him to pay it and that they would give a bill credit--and were adamant about this being the only solution. They didn't reverse the charges until poor guy called a dozen times and threatened to get lawyers involved.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
To be fair to Telus about notifying re: date usage, I get an email at 75%, 90%, 100% of my data limit, then get an email at $10 of data overage charges, get data blocked at $50 of overages unless I confirm, then still get notified at $75 after that. Still, the price I pay for 3 GB is stupid, and I can't wait to switch to Public Mobile, even though it's still technically under the umbrella of the big 3.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

I made the switch from Telus to public mobile. I was on a telus retention plan before I switched to PM, and now pay half what I was paying with telus for twice as much data, and the exact same reception.

No brainer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anti Plum
Sep 15, 2007

MA-Horus posted:

I made the switch from Telus to public mobile. I was on a telus retention plan before I switched to PM, and now pay half what I was paying with telus for twice as much data, and the exact same reception.

No brainer.

B-B-But tech support. :ohdear: