Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Brigadier Sockface posted:

so let that put an end to that.

I think you know that's impossible for the beltway media to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

It would be nice to not have a special election in an off-year for once.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Joementum posted:

I think you know that's impossible for the beltway media to do.

I expect TNR's article frequency to drop by 70% after this news.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001
On the other hand, goons will still be posting about her after half the primaries are over.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
She was probably spooked out of the race by Bernie's recent threats to run. Too crowded on the left!

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Joementum posted:

She was probably spooked out of the race by Bernie's recent threats to run. Too crowded on the left!
Goddamn populists. :argh:

Panzerkin3D
Dec 13, 2011

The mountains have always been here, and in them, the bears.

Rust Martialis posted:

As a Canadian, the fetish you all have for finely parsing and hyphenating ethnicity and skin colour is loving insane. When I lived in Colorado, the deep need to separate 'hispanic' from 'white' creeped me out big time.

I've always enjoyed how crazy people look at Americans when they go over board with their ethnic identity classification. I can draw direct lines of descent from both Plymouth (Mayflower) and Jamestown (John Smith), but that doesn't make me anymore English than my dog is a cat. My wife is Canadian (immigrated to the US on a marriage visa) and we have 2 kids. Are they Canadian Americans? What would that even mean in the end?

And on the topic, so is everyone going to start going nuts over Cory Booker now that Elizabeth Warren has said she isn't running? I hope Hillary declares she is running soon (or says she won't so Biden can) so this ridiculous speculation stops.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Rust Martialis posted:

As a Canadian, the fetish you all have for finely parsing and hyphenating ethnicity and skin colour is loving insane. When I lived in Colorado, the deep need to separate 'hispanic' from 'white' creeped me out big time.

And yet at the same time when people just consider themselves to be of "American" ancestry people berate them for being ignorant hicks.

Misandrist Duck
Oct 22, 2012

ufarn posted:

Interesting use of "blacks". Is that what the NYT style manual reads?

New York Times manual of style posted:

African-American, black. Try to determine and use the term preferred by the group or person being described. When no preference is known, the writer should choose. But use black when the reference is not only to people of African descent, but also to those whose more immediate roots are in the Caribbean or South America.

khazar sansculotte
May 14, 2004

Panzerkin3D posted:

And on the topic, so is everyone going to start going nuts over Cory Booker now that Elizabeth Warren has said she isn't running? I hope Hillary declares she is running soon (or says she won't so Biden can) so this ridiculous speculation stops.

Heaven forbid there be uncertainty about the presidential candidate nominees three years in advance and that people be excited about the possibility of fresh faces entering the race.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Panzerkin3D posted:

I've always enjoyed how crazy people look at Americans when they go over board with their ethnic identity classification. I can draw direct lines of descent from both Plymouth (Mayflower) and Jamestown (John Smith), but that doesn't make me anymore English than my dog is a cat. My wife is Canadian (immigrated to the US on a marriage visa) and we have 2 kids. Are they Canadian Americans? What would that even mean in the end?

Even if Hillary does not run Obama will not put significant support behind Biden for the simple fact that he, like everyone else, has come to view Uncle Joe as a gently caress-up.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Cliff Racer posted:

Even if Hillary does not run Obama will not put significant support behind Biden for the simple fact that he, like everyone else, has come to view Uncle Joe as a gently caress-up.

I wouldn't expect Obama to put significant support behind anyone until the primaries have determined who the nominee will be, and at that point he will support that person, whoever it might be, as much as any outgoing president would. Unless he turns completely toxic by then, at least.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Hmm, maybe. Didn't Clinton give Gore support? And I'm pretty sure Reagan gave HW at least cursory support in 88. Anyways its been so long since we have had a term limited president who's endorsement you would actually want that I guess I am basing my experiences more off of governors races.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Cliff Racer posted:

Hmm, maybe. Didn't Clinton give Gore support? And I'm pretty sure Reagan gave HW at least cursory support in 88. Anyways its been so long since we have had a term limited president who's endorsement you would actually want that I guess I am basing my experiences more off of governors races.

It's possible. I don't recall the 2000 primaries all that well. But it seems poor form for an outgoing president to try and play kingmaker, or at least publicly anyhow. Especially as there's always the chance it fails.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

Cliff Racer posted:

I would say the expectation is certainly that Obama would give, at the least, tacit support to Biden, he really wouldn't have much choice, if Biden is running, "Why isn't the President endorsing his VP?" would be a bigger distraction than the intra party politics. Obama's support will certainly have more value in the primary than Clinton or Bush's, even if his general support is flagging the black vote is a huge swing constituency incredibly important in the stretch between New Hampshire and Super Tuesday.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Clinton was purposely kept out of the Gore campaign by Gore's brilliant (read: not brilliant) campaign staff, so he's an anomaly. If they'd let him campaign, many people think that Gore might've had a better shot at beating the Supreme Court Bush.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

ReindeerF posted:

Clinton was purposely kept out of the Gore campaign by Gore's brilliant (read: not brilliant) campaign staff, so he's an anomaly. If they'd let him campaign, many people think that Gore might've had a better shot at beating the Supreme Court Bush.

At the margin of Gore's loss virtually any tiny decision could have swung it his way. A small extra investment in advertising, for example.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

DynamicSloth posted:

I would say the expectation is certainly that Obama would give, at the least, tacit support to Biden, he really wouldn't have much choice, if Biden is running, "Why isn't the President endorsing his VP?" would be a bigger distraction than the intra party politics.

I think the obvious answer is "He's the President and he endorses the nominee." It would be an easy thing to push back on. Sure, I think the question would be asked, but there isn't a whole lot of meat on that bone.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
It's not as if there's a hard rule that the President supports a VP who decides to run. It's only come up four times in the modern era and of those only G.H.W. Bush had real, explicit support. Gore refused Clinton's support and nobody really wanted LBJ's in '68 while Nixon never really had much luck getting Ike to say nice things about him.

That said, from everything I've read, I think CliffRacer is incorrect about Obama's opinion of Biden. Their staffs might not get along, but Obama really does like Biden. I don't think Obama will endorse before the nomination is a lock, because it'd be against the rise-above-politics image he wants to project, but he's not going to throw Joe under the bus.

Joementum fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Dec 5, 2013

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

DynamicSloth posted:

I would say the expectation is certainly that Obama would give, at the least, tacit support to Biden, he really wouldn't have much choice, if Biden is running, "Why isn't the President endorsing his VP?" would be a bigger distraction than the intra party politics. Obama's support will certainly have more value in the primary than Clinton or Bush's, even if his general support is flagging the black vote is a huge swing constituency incredibly important in the stretch between New Hampshire and Super Tuesday.

Would that even help Biden at this point? Given the way polling has been going lately, I wouldn't be surprised to see Obama+staff take a more organizational role from behind the scenes. I think at least with public opinion of him where it's at now, it seems that's where he'd do the most work for a 2016 nominee.

Marcus Roberto
Dec 30, 2004

by exmarx

Joementum posted:

I don't think Obama will endorse before the nomination is a lock, because it'd be against the rise-above-politics image he wants to project, but he's not going to throw Joe under the bus.

If both Biden and Clinton decide to run I expect Obama will not endorse until the primary is decided. But if only one of them run, I think he'll endorse whichever of the two it is.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Would that even help Biden at this point? Given the way polling has been going lately, I wouldn't be surprised to see Obama+staff take a more organizational role from behind the scenes. I think at least with public opinion of him where it's at now, it seems that's where he'd do the most work for a 2016 nominee.

Given the last few months to a year, I'm not sure "has been going lately" has as much staying power as it did previously. We've see-sawed from "Obama is a scandal-ridden failure" to "Oh god, the Republicans are crazy and now there's going to be a Democratic Wave" to "Obamacare will make Democrats unelectable for the next decade". I suspect that by June 2014 the healthcare.gov issues will be far from peoples' minds.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
So far, as expected, Obama's not picking sides.

quote:

"Here's what I'll say. Both Hillary and Joe-- would make outstanding presidents-- and possess the qualities that are needed-- to be-- outstanding presidents," Obama said according to a transcript of the interview. "They-- I think Joe Biden will go down in history as one of the best vice presidents-- ever. And he has been with me, at my side, in every tough decision that I've made from-- goin' after Bin Laden to-- dealin' with the health care issues to, you name it, he's been there."

"Hillary, I think will go down in history as one of the finest secretaries of state we've ever had," Obama continued. "And helped to transition us away from a deep hole that we were in when-- I first came into office-- around the world. And to rebuild confidence and trust in the United States. And they've got they've got different strengths, but both of them would-- would be outstanding. I'd say that the most important qualities- of any president (and I'm not necessarily saying I have these qualities, 'cause I'm speakin' historically)-- I think has to do wit more than anything a sense of connection with the American people."

Though, "best Vice President" ain't a high bar.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Joementum posted:

Though, "best Vice President" ain't a high bar.

I think we can all agree that by the only relevant measure, William R. King was the worst Vice President.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
"Hillary, I think will go down in history as one of the finest secretaries of state we've ever had," Obama continued. "And helped to transition us away from a deep hole that we were in when-- [George W. Bush was president]"

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

Joementum posted:

It's not as if there's a hard rule that the President supports a VP who decides to run. It's only come up four times in the modern era and of those only G.H.W. Bush had real, explicit support. Gore refused Clinton's support and nobody really wanted LBJ's in '68 while Nixon never really had much luck getting Ike to say nice things about him.
Eisenhower hated Nixon but he still endorsed him in 1960 and again in 1968 Clinton also formally endorsed Gore in the Primary against Bradley , that's what I meant by Obama will have to at the least tacitly support Biden, for the same reason Eisenhower did despite not really like Nixon all that much, the press kept pestering him about it.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Nth Doctor posted:

I think we can all agree that by the only relevant measure, William R. King was the worst Vice President.

True. Duties of a Vice President:
1. Be alive
2. Cast tie breaking votes in the senate
3. Shoot people in the face

Sad Banana
Sep 7, 2011

DynamicSloth posted:

Eisenhower hated Nixon but he still endorsed him in 1960 and again in 1968 Clinton also formally endorsed Gore in the Primary against Bradley , that's what I meant by Obama will have to at the least tacitly support Biden, for the same reason Eisenhower did despite not really like Nixon all that much, the press kept pestering him about it.
If Hillary doesn't run I could see him doing a tacit endorsement in the primary. If Hillary runs he's not going to take a side.

StarMagician
Jan 2, 2013

Query: Are you saying that one coon calling for the hanging of another coon is racist?

Check and mate D&D.

DynamicSloth posted:

Eisenhower did, however, encourage his former Secretary of Health, Education and Welfare, Oveta Culp Hobby, to run instead. It's interesting to think about how different history might have been if she had run.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oveta_Culp_Hobby

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

True. Duties of a Vice President:
1. Be alive
2. Cast tie breaking votes in the senate
3. Shoot people in the face

4. Protect the space-time continuum.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Beau Biden needs to resign as Attorney General and become the head writer of a Futurama reboot with Joe Biden recast in Al Gore's roles.

Malkamar
Mar 15, 2009
MY DEAD HUSBAND WAS FULL OF SHIT

Platonicsolid posted:

4. Protect the space-time continuum.

Read the Constitution!

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Sounds like Ted Cruz's plan to travel to South Africa with the Congressional Black Caucus was a fun time for all involved.

quote:

"He got an earful from many of us -- I mean it was a very good conversation, nothing negative," the Baltimore Democrat said in an interview from Johannesburg. "I just reminded him that I'm concerned about the many people in my state and his state who have no health insurance."

"It's clear to me he's running for president -- I don’t have any doubt about it," said Cummings who noted that Democratic Rep. John Lewis of Georgia and others also spoke with Cruz in what he described as a cordial debate. "I know he got an earful for 20 hours out and he's going to get another earful for 20 hours on the way back."

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
If the right-wing rag, the Washington Examiner is correct, you'll never guess who might be jumping back in the ring for 2016...

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
If he gives up his Fox News gig then maybe, but otherwise I wouldn't put money on it.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
I think Mike Huckabee likes making money he gets to keep.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

ComradeCosmobot posted:

If the right-wing rag, the Washington Examiner is correct, you'll never guess who might be jumping back in the ring for 2016...

Why, I'm very surprised they didn't mention that he granted clemency to a man that went on to murder four police officers, and then did the same for a convicted rapist who went on to rape and murder two other women. I wonder if either of those two things would impact any potential run (which will never happen for these and other reasons)? Guess we'll have to "stay tuned"!

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
I read a month or so ago that Huckabee has been making the rounds in Iowa. The 2016 GOP primary is going to be absolutely magical.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
I'm torn on whether he's woefully behind the times or whether he's the one guy who could unite the tribes. It's been since 2000 since someone ran specifically on the God stuff and his economic populism, thin as it may be, is a real wild card. Also, his son hung a stray dog, so he's got my vote locked up right there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bhlaab
Feb 21, 2005

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Yknow, I think he has a shot this time! Either him, Rick Santorum, or Newt Gingrich. The circle of winners, I call em.

• Locked thread