Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

It goes well with a tricorne and kneesocks. :shrug:

Edit: I'm not really into the "standard" shell hilts, but loop hilts on the other hand... :swoon:

More pics.

Siivola fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jul 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
While you're posting nice steel, I'm wrestling with this lady here

Battery was low. She has a really bad temper. There's still a little twist in one limb that needs to be corrected. The narrow limbs (26mm) and the acute angles make it a bit unstable because of the twist. The bow will need string bridges just to be sure, and I'll need to reduce reflex in the transition from the limb to the triangular section.

Here after unstringing. Very aggressive angle in the transition and the tip. It's not so strong, but stringing and balancing was quite hard. Not something that you could do without experience. Needs some more work to make it safe.

Grenrow
Apr 11, 2016

Siivola posted:

It goes well with a tricorne and kneesocks. :shrug:

Edit: I'm not really into the "standard" shell hilts, but loop hilts on the other hand... :swoon:

More pics.

This is by far the best looking smallsword I've ever seen. It almost makes me want to get one...

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

HEY GAL posted:

Someone sell me on the smallsword. I know it's fast, it just looks pathetic. Rapiers can kill people and also look like something that can kill people. Why walk around with a tiny little blade on your hip?

Not sure how you can sell someone on it if you are using killing people as the measuring stick, its a specialized dueling weapon designed so people did not have to carry rapiers around everywhere. but it can still kill someone, especially if they also have a smallsword. There is a reason they were never used in any large amount of the battlefield, with spadroons trying to emulate them instead, and eventually getting replaced by sabers that were way more effective.

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?
Crossposting from the fencing thread, here is the sword I got for 30W re-enactment.
The type was ordered en masse from the Dutch by Sweden when they needed to outfit their army for the war.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
it's ok to swede

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Not sure how you can sell someone on it if you are using killing people as the measuring stick, its a specialized dueling weapon designed so people did not have to carry rapiers around everywhere. but it can still kill someone, especially if they also have a smallsword. There is a reason they were never used in any large amount of the battlefield, with spadroons trying to emulate them instead, and eventually getting replaced by sabers that were way more effective.
I sort tangentially disagree. To me the smallsword is only a dueling weapon in the sense that it's a civilian weapon, and dueling just happens to be a thing civilians do. I mean, if you really look at the thing, it's actually kind of bad to duel with: The hilt doesn't protect anything, the blade is so short you end up in wrestling range, and the sword is so quick in general it's super hard to control the opponent's blade long enough to stab them without getting stabbed back. And indeed, dedicated dueling swords went on to reinvent big cup hilts and longer blades once people stopped carrying swords as fashion statements.

Maybe a bit like modern self-defence pistols, actually? It's not like a tiny pocket pistol is the best gun, it's just what people carry because they don't want to made fun of for open carrying a huge military Colt or whatever.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
also when i'm carrying my rapier i'll be wearing kneesocks already and the rapier goes ok with those

edit: in fact, i just sent you a picture of me wearing both :keke:

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Jul 8, 2016

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Grenrow posted:

This is by far the best looking smallsword I've ever seen. It almost makes me want to get one...
the hilt shape makes it look like a 19th century military saber laid an egg and a baby sword crawled out of it

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Jul 8, 2016

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Ssssssswordsss

Railtus
Apr 8, 2011

daz nu bi unseren tagen
selch vreude niemer werden mac
der man ze den ziten pflac

Baron Porkface posted:

How prevalent was slave ownership in the Kingdom of Jerusalem?

I'm sure the title of the blog implies a less than unbiased source on the subject, but some interesting commentary here: http://defendingcrusaderkingdoms.blogspot.co.uk/2015/10/slavery-in-crusader-kingdoms.html

Also, certain quotes like the Ibn Jubayr one that essentially describes Muslims as better off under Crusader rule than under the rule of other Muslims would suggest that the condition of slavery was not common enough to earn his notice. It could mean that slaves were simply not a visible or observable presence in the kingdom when Ibn Jubayr was travelling through (not immediately identifiable as such).

The only suggestion that slavery was at all common or “standard” in the Crusader States from what I can find comes from David Nicolle, Knights of Jersualem: The Crusading Order of the Hospitallers – though it seems an offhand comment that isn't given exploration, and I remember from my Bachelor's dissertation coming across Nicolle and finding him generally pretty unreliable in the past. I don't remember the exact thing that made me distrust Nicolle, however.

Riley-Smith mentions that Italian merchants were sometimes accused of selling local Christians as Muslim slaves, and Yvonne Friedman suggests that normally ransom rather than slavery was the way to deal with prisoners.

A quick look finds a “very large slave market in Acre” being mentioned on some webpages, but no real details on it (although I'm not looking too deeply because I'm tired).

Overall, I get the impression that slavery in the Kingdom of Jerusalem was not standard operating procedure, the kind of thing that existed but didn't seem to play a large role in any aspect of the kingdom. If Muslims kept as slaves was commonplace, I would expect it to reflect in Jubayr's commentary – either slave ownership was not prevalent or slaves were not easily distinguishable from the free Muslims who Jubayr describes as so well-treated. I'd be hesitant to assume that slaves were so well-off, so I'd lean towards concluding that slave ownership was rare.

Siivola posted:

I sort tangentially disagree. To me the smallsword is only a dueling weapon in the sense that it's a civilian weapon, and dueling just happens to be a thing civilians do. I mean, if you really look at the thing, it's actually kind of bad to duel with: The hilt doesn't protect anything, the blade is so short you end up in wrestling range, and the sword is so quick in general it's super hard to control the opponent's blade long enough to stab them without getting stabbed back. And indeed, dedicated dueling swords went on to reinvent big cup hilts and longer blades once people stopped carrying swords as fashion statements.

Maybe a bit like modern self-defence pistols, actually? It's not like a tiny pocket pistol is the best gun, it's just what people carry because they don't want to made fun of for open carrying a huge military Colt or whatever.

I see the smallsword as a fashion statement as well, where it is expected to carry a sword while minimising the inconvenience of carrying a sword. I know a quick google repeatedly bludgeons me with the phrase "no man was properly dressed without his sword."

http://www.encasedinsteel.co.uk/2015/09/11/a-brief-introduction-to-the-smallsword/ - this lists an interesting observation under "Two-tempo fencing", suggesting that the smallsword might be a little more novice-friendly? I'm not sure how much merit there is to that, but assuming it is perhaps as people carried swords as fashion accessories more and as serious weapons less they might find themselves leaning towards the weapon that requires less of a commitment to learn?

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
Were late medieval knights expected to equip a lance of troops by themselves as a feudal duty?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

HEY GAL posted:

trip report: most of you will probably not carry your swords outdoors, nor are you in the habit of assaulting small German towns by wading the moat, which is what I did this morning. But for those of you who are worried about weather and water, I don't think the rayskin Danelli uses for grips is colorfast; in areas it's faded from black to a sort of bluish grey after six months of use. I like this, but you guys might not.
Ah, rayskin doesn't hold dye well in general! mystery solved

VoteTedJameson
Jan 10, 2014

And stack the four!

Hogge Wild posted:

Were late medieval knights expected to equip a lance of troops by themselves as a feudal duty?

I have actually wondered about this myself and I've been trying to come up with a satisfactory answer for years. To the best of my knowledge , I believe that every man-at-arms equipped himself. Here are my reasons for thinking as much. 1) Documents like the assize of arms from England (which admittedly isn't "late feudal", but they do establish a precedent) describe the equipment that fighting men as lowly as spearmen and archers are expected to provide when showing up for a muster. Therefore it seems logical that if the dirt-farming underlings are on the hook for their gear (padded armor, an "iron cap", sometimes sword and shield and either spear or longbow) then the nobility would do likewise. 2) Ranks of fighting men were often literally determined by yearly income. One could rise to the status of knighthood in certain contexts simply by obtaining the prerequisite financial means to own several horses and the required weaponry of the era. (This is a sticky thing to pin down with any precision because the status implied by the word "knighthood" varies wildly over the course of the middle ages, and naturally between regions as well). Given, then, that a level of income pegged to the price of military gear determined one's status (a person worth X must serve as an archer, worth Y as a man-at-arms etc) it seems logical that one was expected to actually apply that income and purchase said equipment, not just have the theoretical capability.

Weapons and armor were major investments, representing months of income and requiring relatively slow and expert work to make, and I imagine that (especially among poorer people) a lot of men probably carried their father's or grandfather's equipment.

To muddy the waters even further, by the time that 'lances' are being strictly codified- as in the ordonnances of Charles VII in France, wars are being fought increasingly by semi-professional companies of fighting men led by captains who were kept on retainer by kings, dukes and other powerful nobles. So they were almost obsolete by the time they were on the books in any detail.

Ghost of Babyhead
Jun 28, 2008
Grimey Drawer
I've got a question about painted helmets.

I was reading around a Reddit discussion on medieval society and found a post with the following (from here):

quote:

Regarding the painted helmet, paint is a uniquely 'common' decoration - it is much cheaper than velvet or gold or peacock feathers. Painting armour also allows armour that is unpolished to be better protected from rust. Unpolished armour is cheaper because as much as 80% of the work in making armour is polishing it - which is difficult in a time before modern polishing wheels etc. Thus, we see a large number of painted helmets from the later 15th century that were worn by decidedly non-elite soldiers - medium cavalryman and infantry. In one cause there are a group of sallets with monster faces painted on from Nuremberg where the decoration may have been a kind of 'unit identifier' for a squadron of cavalry, according to Tobias Capwell.

Which I think is a really cool image. I also found a blog post which discusses something similar (also from Nuremberg), where a painting depicts cavalry units with matching painted/fabric-covered helmets:

My question is: Does this sort of "uniform" appear elsewhere in medieval Europe, or was it a specifically German thing?

Grenrow
Apr 11, 2016

Ghost of Babyhead posted:

My question is: Does this sort of "uniform" appear elsewhere in medieval Europe, or was it a specifically German thing?

Hard to say, partly because the archaeological evidence is so sketchy and the literary evidence is so scanty about these kinds of details, but there is evidence that some kind of uniforms existed. Archers from Chesire are recorded wearing green and white tunics (maybe just a regional fashion?) and there's a mention of Flemish urban shooting guilds having distinctive clothing. English soldiers started sewing the cross of St George on the uniforms from the time of Edward I onwards and of course the crusader orders had their own uniforms.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

I wanna know how far apart "hey let's paint our helmets" and "let's specifically paint monster faces" were as ideas.

I'm betting it was a pretty quick development.

Cause, I mean, c'mon, motherfucking monster faces, yo.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Xiahou Dun posted:

I wanna know how far apart "hey let's paint our helmets" and "let's specifically paint monster faces" were as ideas.

I'm betting it was a pretty quick development.

Cause, I mean, c'mon, motherfucking monster faces, yo.

I want to know how long until the first dickface helmet.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Somewhere around 800 BC.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
so, people who don't actually know how to swordfight at reenactments. All these bullshit little twirls and stage fighting. I want to hurt those guys in specific, tell me how.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Why, stab them to death, of course.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Kicking them in the balls or knee will work fine.

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

Knights who are at the wars eat their bread in sorrow;
their ease is weariness and sweat;
they have one good day after many bad
Knock them over as they twirl.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

VoteTedJameson posted:

I have actually wondered about this myself and I've been trying to come up with a satisfactory answer for years. To the best of my knowledge , I believe that every man-at-arms equipped himself. Here are my reasons for thinking as much. 1) Documents like the assize of arms from England (which admittedly isn't "late feudal", but they do establish a precedent) describe the equipment that fighting men as lowly as spearmen and archers are expected to provide when showing up for a muster. Therefore it seems logical that if the dirt-farming underlings are on the hook for their gear (padded armor, an "iron cap", sometimes sword and shield and either spear or longbow) then the nobility would do likewise. 2) Ranks of fighting men were often literally determined by yearly income. One could rise to the status of knighthood in certain contexts simply by obtaining the prerequisite financial means to own several horses and the required weaponry of the era. (This is a sticky thing to pin down with any precision because the status implied by the word "knighthood" varies wildly over the course of the middle ages, and naturally between regions as well). Given, then, that a level of income pegged to the price of military gear determined one's status (a person worth X must serve as an archer, worth Y as a man-at-arms etc) it seems logical that one was expected to actually apply that income and purchase said equipment, not just have the theoretical capability.

Weapons and armor were major investments, representing months of income and requiring relatively slow and expert work to make, and I imagine that (especially among poorer people) a lot of men probably carried their father's or grandfather's equipment.

To muddy the waters even further, by the time that 'lances' are being strictly codified- as in the ordonnances of Charles VII in France, wars are being fought increasingly by semi-professional companies of fighting men led by captains who were kept on retainer by kings, dukes and other powerful nobles. So they were almost obsolete by the time they were on the books in any detail.

:tipshat:

Yeah, that's what I've concluded too. So it would make sense for a poorer soldier to reject an offered knighthood if it came without land, because he couldn't afford to pay for all that stuff. Or how easily could your knighthood be debased? Quick googling says that it was extremely rare in England, but what about eg. France?

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

HEY GAL posted:

so, people who don't actually know how to swordfight at reenactments. All these bullshit little twirls and stage fighting. I want to hurt those guys in specific, tell me how.

Educate them in proper techniques?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Pommel bash

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

HEY GAL posted:

You've seen Indiana Jones, right?

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks

HEY GAL posted:

Parry a blow, then keep their blade controlled while you pommel them in the face.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

HEY GAL posted:

overbind and push their blade out of the way, move in close, osoto gari

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Kemper Boyd posted:

Parry a blow, then keep their blade controlled while you pommel them in the face.

Rabhadh posted:

overbind and push their blade out of the way, move in close, osoto gari
my sword doesn't have a super huge amount of blade presence, so i'll have to use positioning for that

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks

HEY GAL posted:

my sword doesn't have a super huge amount of blade presence, so i'll have to use positioning for that

Roughly, when you parry and move closer, let their blade slide towards the hilt of your sword, and then reverse the sword and pommel pommel. Should work. Harder to explain in text than actually doing.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Can't you just shoot them with a wheellock or something?

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

JaucheCharly posted:

Can't you just shoot them with a wheellock or something?

Or bash them with it.

You have two hands, use one for punching.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Grenrow posted:

ok, i found one that kicks rear end. look at this thing, top of the page:
https://myarmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=132&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=660

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

VanSandman posted:

Or bash them with it.

You have two hands, use one for punching.

A spare foot, too.

Grenrow
Apr 11, 2016

HEY GAL posted:

ok, i found one that kicks rear end. look at this thing, top of the page:
https://myarmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=132&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=660

That is very nice as well. Very robust-looking blade, too. Personally, I can't imagine going into combat with a smallsword, especially when the options for Napoleonic cavalry officers were the 1796 light and heavy sabres. People like to talk poo poo about the heavy cav sword, but at least you could imagine someone taking on a bayonet or a color-sergeant's halberd with one.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

HEY GAL posted:

Hit them hard just above the knee when they leave their legs exposed. If you hit the peroneal nerve just right It hurts quite a bit for several minutes and and will cause them to fall over but it is very unlikely to do any permanent damage.

This is the go to method for disabling someone using for baton wielding police. At least for the last 40 or so years after someone figured out that knocking people over the head with a cosh was a very good way to smash skulls, cause internal bleeding and occasionally straight up kill them.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jul 19, 2016

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Grenrow posted:

That is very nice as well. Very robust-looking blade, too. Personally, I can't imagine going into combat with a smallsword, especially when the options for Napoleonic cavalry officers were the 1796 light and heavy sabres. People like to talk poo poo about the heavy cav sword, but at least you could imagine someone taking on a bayonet or a color-sergeant's halberd with one.
yeah, this is a smallsword with spirit and integrity.

according to one of the posters in that thread you can see some marks on the forte where it parried a larger, heavier blade :3:

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

FreudianSlippers posted:

Hit them hard just above the knee when they leave their legs exposed. If you hit the peroneal nerve just right It hurts quite a bit for several minutes and and will cause them to fall over but it is very unlikely to do any permanent damage.

This is the go to method for disabling someone using for baton wielding police. At least for the last 40 or so years after someone figured out that knocking people over the head with a cosh was a very good way to smash skulls, cause internal bleeding and occasionally straight up kill them.
thank you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grenrow
Apr 11, 2016

HEY GAL posted:

according to one of the posters in that thread you can see some marks on the forte where it parried a larger, heavier blade :3:

I just looked at the rest of the post. It would be fascinating to know whether the blade actually had been sharpened. I've ever heard of a smallsword blade of that shape being sharpened before,b but anything's possible, I suppose. The variance in personal equipment is something I find really fascinating about pre-20th century officers. I've seen a custom Wilkinson sword for an officer going to India that was basically a backsword blade mounted on a more typical 19th century saber hilt. I assume that one was ordered by someone who wanted a better cut-and-thrust weapon for fighting lances and tulwars.

• Locked thread