Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What type of plants are you interested in growing?
This poll is closed.
Perennials! 142 20.91%
Annuals! 30 4.42%
Woody plants! 62 9.13%
Succulent plants! 171 25.18%
Tropical plants! 60 8.84%
Non-vascular plants are the best! 31 4.57%
Screw you, I'd rather eat them! 183 26.95%
Total: 679 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Any of these are good options IMO. If you already have some idea where you'll have beds in the new garden, put most of the mulch there. You can just chop it down and let it rot in place without mulching if you want, but it will rot down faster ( and probably look nicer in the meantime) if you mulch it. A compost pile probably rots stuff more efficiently/quickly, but just scattering it on the ground is going to have the same result, and the bugs and the worms will still do their work. Burning is good if it's allowed, and ashes are mostly good for soil too.

Wood shavings take a frustratingly and surprisingly long time to rot and tie up a lot of nitrogen while they do. I wouldn't put them in compost and would burn them instead.

Roger that. Gonna sharpen my machete in anticipation of this weekend. Will be unearthing some wonderful nettle-aged floorboards from the end of the garden when I do so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
i'm thinkin about buying a mulcher. At this point I could keep the grass down on my 2 acres with a whipper snipper in 5 minutes but holy poo poo there are a lot of big eucalypts that drop loads of leaves and sticks like crazy

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

i'm thinkin about buying a mulcher. At this point I could keep the grass down on my 2 acres with a whipper snipper in 5 minutes but holy poo poo there are a lot of big eucalypts that drop loads of leaves and sticks like crazy

FYI, mulchers can be jammed by stringy stuff. Don't throw vines in.

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

It's spring here in Australia and because I'm a lunatic with too much time on my hands, I've been sowing a lot of cacti and succulent seeds (a lot as in... 2600+ seeds of more than 80 species.) They're doing well. Here's a few that I started on a heat mat earlier in winter.

Stenocereus eruca, the creeping devil. When it's big enough, it won't grow tall, rather it'll grow like a snake across the ground.

Lithops karasmontana. Cute little blobs, really very finicky about water. My third go around sowing lithops seeds - the first year almost everything died within months, last year everything survived just fine but barely grew at all. This time, I've got it down. They're plump and happy and not dying horrible deaths.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Lithops are pretty cute! How are they water-fussy?

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Synthbuttrange posted:

They have really important wet/dry schedules. In spring and autumn, they're in active growth and can be watered occasionally (usually when the plant starts to wrinkle a little, otherwise they'll split open and die.) In summer, they're dormant, and water is a guaranteed death sentence. In winter, they make new leaves and suck all the water out of the old leaves. Watering in winter will stop the old leaves from gradually shrivelling up and is also pretty much a death sentence. The usual rule with Lithops is -- if you're in doubt, don't water them.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

lol

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Fire up the strimmer and grab the loppers, get a burn pile going.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

At least you know the greenhouse works!

I would feel so satisfied and accomplished after cleaning all that out.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

elgarbo posted:

It's spring here in Australia and because I'm a lunatic with too much time on my hands, I've been sowing a lot of cacti and succulent seeds (a lot as in... 2600+ seeds of more than 80 species.) They're doing well. Here's a few that I started on a heat mat earlier in winter.

Stenocereus eruca, the creeping devil. When it's big enough, it won't grow tall, rather it'll grow like a snake across the ground.

Lithops karasmontana. Cute little blobs, really very finicky about water. My third go around sowing lithops seeds - the first year almost everything died within months, last year everything survived just fine but barely grew at all. This time, I've got it down. They're plump and happy and not dying horrible deaths.

Dang good stuff I love em all! I want more weird cacti

Yea that ain't no thang you should be able to knock that down pretty quick

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

At least you know the greenhouse works!

lmao but also true, greenhouses are amazing

Harry Potter on Ice fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Oct 2, 2019

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Synthbuttrange posted:

Lol

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

All that loving buddleia.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Bi-la kaifa posted:

I just spent a shameful amount on bulbs. Spring better be loving magical.

Gettng a few requests for this (or part of it) to be the new thread title. Y'all want that?

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
"I spent a shameful amount"

It cuts close to the bone

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

Do it. I'll tell my new composting worms that I contributed something on the internet.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

OK do you want
1. "Plants in General: Spring better be loving magical"
2. "Plants in General: I spent a shameful amount"
3. "Plants in General: I spent a shameful amount on bulbs"
4. I test the max length of thread titles with the whole dang lot

(personally I like #1)

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I like #1, too.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I believe the whole thing will fit. It’s shorter than the Weird News thread title.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

I like 3 or 4

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Just make sure you have leather gloves for those brambles.

Also, for both the buddleia and the brambles, you probably want to cut them down to the ground, then immediately paint glyphosate on the stems.

As others have said, burning (or sending away with the municipal plant waste) would be the solution for those, too. Neither of those will break down any time in the near future. Make a compost pile with the grass and small shrubs though.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
#4 lets push it and growing to the limits

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Not.. quite all of it, but serendipitous enough that I pushed the button anyway. Can change it if you want.

Catpain Slack
Apr 1, 2014

BAAAAAAH
Nah it's perfect.

Also my bulbs better survive the loving winter.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Haha I like it but I l've liked all of them. Spring better be loving

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I’m looking forward to the update, in sixth months, that Spring be loving.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Haha awesome re: the title!

Also in plant-related content, I got some air plants for my desk, and decided to do this with the Tillandsia caput medusae:

(That's a 3D print of my teeth, which the dentist let me keep.)

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Before

After

Toad

Jaded Burnout fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Oct 4, 2019

Mantees
Oct 24, 2008
Hope I am not in the totally wrong thread.

I never had a garden, and now that I bought a new house I have one.
The problem is: I have no idea how to take care of it.

To start, I am looking for a lawnmower, and I am unable to decide what to buy.

My garden is divided in 2 parts
- 110sqm on the back
- 300sqm on the front

with significant slopes.

I would like a lawnmower that is:
- easy to use, also for my wife
- without an electric cable

I have seen some electric one with batteries from Black and Decker (CLMA4820L2-QW) or Bosch (0600885D05), but people online comment that the battery don't last long enough for more than 100-150sqm.

I was thinking about those automatic robots that looks like a Roomba. But I have no idea if they can work if the garden is split in two, even if there is a tiled passageway between the two. Also, what if I have flowers/plants in the middle of the garden? Do I have to place a wire around all obstacles, or can I just surround plants with stones?

I was thinking about a fuel lawnmower, but would it be easy to start up and use for my wife as well? I am not sure. Fuel ones are my least favorite option

I am clueless. Can you suggest me something? Maybe some with better batteries, or a robot that would be good for my needs?

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Gas and electric lawnmowers are easy nowadays. What region are you in? Does anyone have any physical disabilities you're concerned about? How about a push mower? It doubles as a good workout.

The easiest thing to do though is hire a lawn service, or see if anyone in the neighborhood wants to make a few extra bucks.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Mantees posted:

Hope I am not in the totally wrong thread.

I never had a garden, and now that I bought a new house I have one.
The problem is: I have no idea how to take care of it.

To start, I am looking for a lawnmower, and I am unable to decide what to buy.

My garden is divided in 2 parts
- 110sqm on the back
- 300sqm on the front

with significant slopes.

I would like a lawnmower that is:
- easy to use, also for my wife
- without an electric cable

I have seen some electric one with batteries from Black and Decker (CLMA4820L2-QW) or Bosch (0600885D05), but people online comment that the battery don't last long enough for more than 100-150sqm.

I was thinking about those automatic robots that looks like a Roomba. But I have no idea if they can work if the garden is split in two, even if there is a tiled passageway between the two. Also, what if I have flowers/plants in the middle of the garden? Do I have to place a wire around all obstacles, or can I just surround plants with stones?

I was thinking about a fuel lawnmower, but would it be easy to start up and use for my wife as well? I am not sure. Fuel ones are my least favorite option

I am clueless. Can you suggest me something? Maybe some with better batteries, or a robot that would be good for my needs?

I would go the electric mower route, and consider another battery or two. Also, you can always turn some of that lawn into more flowerbeds. :D

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

I want to get a new electric motor so badly but I really hate running out of juice on jobs

Mantees
Oct 24, 2008

Suspect Bucket posted:

Gas and electric lawnmowers are easy nowadays. What region are you in? Does anyone have any physical disabilities you're concerned about? How about a push mower? It doubles as a good workout.

I am in Belgium. No disabilities. I would be happy with a push mower, but an engine for power and with a storage for collecting the grass that I have cut.

Solkanar512 posted:

I would go the electric mower route, and consider another battery or two. Also, you can always turn some of that lawn into more flowerbeds. :D

Any decent one that you would suggest in particular?

Thanks to everyone!!!

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Yeah, this all the way.

Maybe wear shoes tho.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.
We have the Makita electric mower. It takes 2 batteries and with both fully charged we can do our small front + back yard. However, almost all of our tools are Makita so we already have the batteries and charger from other uses.

Electric are actually pretty good nowadays. I'm just glad I don't have to deal with the fuel maintenance of emptying and refilling the mower every spring.

Mantees
Oct 24, 2008

vonnegutt posted:

We have the Makita electric mower. It takes 2 batteries and with both fully charged we can do our small front + back yard.

May I ask you how large is your yard?

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

Mantees posted:

It's a quarter acre lot.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

vonnegutt posted:

It's a quarter acre lot.

I get about the same with 40v/9mAH of battery and take care of the same. I just got a Rhyobi on sale.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Sorry for the double post, but I'm really loving excited - I just ordered the wood and seeds for my raised veggie beds next spring. I have a hot bed that I'm already assembling, and the raised beds themselves will be two 4'x12' divided into three 4'x4' sections each.

Would it be too much to do a write up on the crops and whatnot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Mantees posted:

I'm on a ~1/4 acre and a single full charge of the E-Go battery will mow the entire yard.

https://egopowerplus.com/21-inch-self-propelled-mower/