Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

There's a few small, one lane roundabouts around me. I still end up stop at the feeders because no one ever signals when they're turning out of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The thing is, roundabouts are common as dirt here. I go through three on my way to work. Despite this there are certain roundabouts that are notorious among locals because people always crash there - and they're never the ones that have an idiot shrubbery or rock statue in the middle to block the view, they're always the plain concrete ones with a flower bed.

It sucks cause roundabouts are seemingly tailor-made for bikes. They're fun to ride around, let you slip into gaps based on your judgement instead of based on a signal and they reward skill and awareness with speedier progress.

Dielectric
May 3, 2010

captainOrbital posted:

There is one in the suburbs of Chicago that people have called "Suicide Circle" for the longest time, because it confuses and infuriates people who happen upon it.

Golf and Wolf, right? loving idiots put stop signs at the feeders, no wonder it doesn't work right.

Meanwhile in WI, this roundabout complex is on my way home:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Pleasant+Prairie,+WI/@42.522485,-87.8570797,17z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x8805602877ce23d9:0x798e09e84fc20785

I'm usually good for a couple of laps on it, two wheels or four. It's actually out of the way but I go through anyway because it's great and I want to show my support for superior engineering. There's a new one that makes three on my commute, but Google hasn't caught up with the changes.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
People hate to learn new things, this is a surprise. That said, I don't know why people feel like they can just forget normal road behavior when entering a road that is more curved than other roads and which is an intersection of sorts. It's not like it's different in any large way.

I just treat them like really fun chicanes. :shrug:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Slavvy posted:

The thing is, roundabouts are common as dirt here. I go through three on my way to work. Despite this there are certain roundabouts that are notorious among locals because people always crash there - and they're never the ones that have an idiot shrubbery or rock statue in the middle to block the view, they're always the plain concrete ones with a flower bed.

Here it's the ones where a mini roundabout (aka worthless patch of slippy white paint) has been placed where a T junction used to be. They always get jammed up because people can't work out how priority should go when approaching from entrances which are physically opposite each other, so they just stop and then every junction is full so everyone is waiting for everyone else to go, because the "roundabout" is not physically large enough to contain more than one turning vehicle.

e/ all they really need to do is shift the centre over a bit and adjust the dotted lines to be not parallel, so that cars approaching from the north perceive cars approaching from the south to be on their right, so that they'll reliably give way.

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Jul 22, 2015

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Roundabouts with heavy barriers within them are awesome, I love to see what new drunks my local roundabout has caught based on the concrete getting more and more dinged/covered with paint.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

Are there any decent motorcycle mechanics out there? Anywhere? gently caress

Every mechanic I've ever tried to use has been terrible. I guess it's because most people are morons, and the mechanics end up spending all of their time adjusting chains and changing oil. It must just not be worth their time to actually troubleshoot and diagnose anything complicated enough for me to bring it in. Even really obvious problems, they'll just claim they didn't notice anything on a test ride. God loving drat it.

I just want to give someone money and have them competently fix my bike. Is that so much to ask?

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I'm with you, mechanics that you don't know personally can be terrible but I've had awful luck with motorcycle mechanics.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Day Man posted:

Every mechanic I've ever tried to use has been terrible. I guess it's because most people are morons, and the mechanics end up spending all of their time adjusting chains and changing oil. It must just not be worth their time to actually troubleshoot and diagnose anything complicated enough for me to bring it in. Even really obvious problems, they'll just claim they didn't notice anything on a test ride. God loving drat it.

I just want to give someone money and have them competently fix my bike. Is that so much to ask?

Where you live? I've met a few that seemed pretty decent on both ends of California. One even helped me with my bike for free!

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
I'm at 5316 N Milwaukee Ave; I'll fix it!

M42
Nov 12, 2012

The last mechanic I was at irreparably hosed up my ninjette, sooooooooooo I'm with you there

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Check out any little race shops.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Day Man posted:

Nope.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

for everyone!

Ha ha, oh yeah. You're a bit of a drive from me, though.

I'm in Austin, TX, if anyone can recommend a shop.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

for everyone!

captainOrbital posted:

I'm at 5316 N Milwaukee Ave; I'll fix it!

Milwaukee is a bit of a drive too, but thanks!

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

nsaP posted:

Check out any little race shops.

The garage I use run a bike in BSS and they're awesome. I wasn't aware that these two things were related, to be honest, but I can certainly see why.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
I thought I found a good repair shop, but last time I called them I quote; "Well... no? We don't really do electronics..."

What the gently caress? I wasn't asking to do a patch job on the space shuttle, it's a bike and I didn't have the tools.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Nice to know it isn't just the southern hemisphere where bike mechanics are utterly useless for everything.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Ones that race/have a race history are the only ones worth your time.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
You guys who actually pay attention to what's working on your bike have no clue how many people have a serious problem with it, or just don't care and happily refuse the work, when you tell them there's a broken thing on their bike they should fix.

As someone who works on a lot of old bikes and bikes not owned by particularly well-off people, this can really distort your view of problems on bikes. Maybe half the bikes that come to us have "just ignore that, I'll fix that at home" items on them, all of which are very unique and very specific and probably can't really be ignored because issues often overlap. And if you have to fix something the dude didn't want fixed or if you misinterpret the instructions and fix something the dude didn't want fixed you've got a major customer issue instead of a bike issue. I can understand why many dealers refuse to work on anything over 10 years old because of complications like that.

I remember reading a FAQ on a vintage watch repair company's site, and it looked like it was written by a total Nazi. If your watch was touched by any local jeweler we won't repair it, if you tried to fix your watch at home we won't repair it, if there's any water damage we won't repair it, if you want us to fix anything less than the entire watch and every single issue on it we won't repair it, if you need it done quickly we won't repair it. I was envious, this seemed like a much more reasonable way to do work. No loving around, make it perfect or don't bother. But sadly, a huge number of people in the world want to gently caress around.

But I agree that someone who does race work is a good bet if you want attention to detail, because when you're racing you can't gently caress around at all or something really bad will happen.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

You guys who actually pay attention to what's working on your bike have no clue how many people have a serious problem with it, or just don't care and happily refuse the work, when you tell them there's a broken thing on their bike they should fix.

As someone who works on a lot of old bikes and bikes not owned by particularly well-off people, this can really distort your view of problems on bikes. Maybe half the bikes that come to us have "just ignore that, I'll fix that at home" items on them, all of which are very unique and very specific and probably can't really be ignored because issues often overlap. And if you have to fix something the dude didn't want fixed or if you misinterpret the instructions and fix something the dude didn't want fixed you've got a major customer issue instead of a bike issue. I can understand why many dealers refuse to work on anything over 10 years old because of complications like that.

I remember reading a FAQ on a vintage watch repair company's site, and it looked like it was written by a total Nazi. If your watch was touched by any local jeweler we won't repair it, if you tried to fix your watch at home we won't repair it, if there's any water damage we won't repair it, if you want us to fix anything less than the entire watch and every single issue on it we won't repair it, if you need it done quickly we won't repair it. I was envious, this seemed like a much more reasonable way to do work. No loving around, make it perfect or don't bother. But sadly, a huge number of people in the world want to gently caress around.

But I agree that someone who does race work is a good bet if you want attention to detail, because when you're racing you can't gently caress around at all or something really bad will happen.

I used to work for a watch repair company fixing watches!

We didn't make very much money.

Shmirgin44
Apr 22, 2010

Dielectric posted:

Golf and Wolf, right? loving idiots put stop signs at the feeders, no wonder it doesn't work right.

Meanwhile in WI, this roundabout complex is on my way home:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Pleasant+Prairie,+WI/@42.522485,-87.8570797,17z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x8805602877ce23d9:0x798e09e84fc20785

I'm usually good for a couple of laps on it, two wheels or four. It's actually out of the way but I go through anyway because it's great and I want to show my support for superior engineering. There's a new one that makes three on my commute, but Google hasn't caught up with the changes.

Heh, I too am guilty of getting off an exit early just to rip around those on my way home. It's nice that they're 2 lanes too so theres rarely people stopped at the feeders. The new one at C and H seems to have the opposite problem of people stopping needlessly at the feeders, I see a lot of people who just say screw it and go regardless of if there's a gap or not.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Yeah I was being a little snarky there but the reality is the shops that can afford to do the job right and find the customers who want the job done right are rare. Most people are willing to accept a lot of potential for things going wrong because they just simply don't give a gently caress, even if they know it's wrong. It's surprising how few accidents are caused by mechanical failure in light of this.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I just found the race shops to be the best because they tend to be real competent and straight with me. Pricing not bad either.

The first guy I went to was a trophy husband who drag raced GSXRs, had some badass bikes and I even watching him ride like a 8 or 9 second bike down to wendy's for some lunch. He basically only had the shop so that his wife wouldn't give him poo poo, he was able to show a bit of black into the shop and not all red.

New shop I go to is the sportbike crew, the Assfault Junkies, their prez' race shop. Him and his guys have been wrenching and tracking/racing for a while now and know their stuff and give a good price. They're also straight too. I saw oil leaking from my dad's fork so I rode it in for him to get the seals replaced. They start breaking it down and turns out it was leaking cause the shock internals were all busted up and when they put it on the lift the left fork just dropped down, only thing keeping it together was the bike's weight. They didn't try to push any game tho, he found a cheap part on ebay and fixed it up for us real quick and nice.

Ah wait I forgot, I got beef with them. Last time I got my tires done i road in with 2 chromies and rode out with plastic caps, didn't notice till it was too late. You don't take a mans chromies, Imma have to give them poo poo next time.

My bikes is good tho now, I dusted off my old bmx bike and dressed like a 6th grader and went n stole me a few more.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

vintage watch repair

For vintage mechanicals (winders and automatics) the expertise and parts have all but disappeared, so anyone still doing it can dictate terms.

For quartz movements, people are generally just too stupid or lazy to source and replace batteries or they've been quoted an outrageous figure from a shady jeweler. In all cases, I'm happy to scoop up these occasionally high end pieces for next to nothing. Harbor Freight has the basic case tools for about a buck o'nine.

I don't blame any brick and mortar business for avoiding vintage bikes. Honestly, how the hell could you pull a rack of carbs, refurb/clean/adjust/tune/etc, not break an unobtainable bodywork bit, not reveal an ancillary problem, pay a person well enough so that they don't bolt, and NOT quickly exceed the street value of the bike?

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Over the phone -
Me: I need a bolt drilled out, is that something you guys can do?

Shop: Sir, we do not want that work. Do not call us and only give us the bad work.

Me: Fair enough, thank you.

Shop: You can bring the bike by and we'll look and decide whether or not we want to do it.

It was just a bolt on the bashplate that was stuck and stripped - not sure what other work they thought was going to happen, maybe a sweet charge for taking the bashplate off and bolting a new one on?

Turns out the joke's on them - a can of penetrating lube and eleven hours of sweat later and who's doing bad work now? :suicide:

In NY all the mechanics are (and I say this based on a thorough survey which I conducted in a scientific manner and published recently in a peer reviewed journal) either terrible or good but just awful to deal with.

For example, this guy http://www.yelp.com/biz/triborough-motorcycles-brooklyn who's actually supposed to be quite good but, well, read his reviews.

On the other end of the spectrum, you have the BMW dealership who, at the one service I took to them, lost the radiator cover, didn't adjust the clutch cable properly and lost half of my stash tube (not sure there was a reason to open it in the first place besides looking for cash, but even giving them the benefit of the doubt...). At least they were very polite before all the problems (after, ever so slightly less responsive).

Anyway, it's sort of shocking to me that nobody in NYC has adopted the Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester watch-repair method of motorcycle repair. "It's going to be $1,000, up-front and on my time but my customer service is good and my work is great." I think you'd make a killing here. Accept exactly as many bikes as you want, don't do anything for anyone not willing to hand over your bike in full for all their work.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

builds character posted:

Over the phone -
Me: I need a bolt drilled out, is that something you guys can do?

Shop: Sir, we do not want that work. Do not call us and only give us the bad work.
Maybe they assumed it was a head bolt and didn't want to be held liable if they broke your engine.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Collateral Damage posted:

Maybe they assumed it was a head bolt and didn't want to be held liable if they broke your engine.

Maybe, but they could also just ask. And tone matters too. It was pretty bad, even for NYC where brusque is what I'd expect.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Used to have a good local guy with a great reputation and a super good attitude. Drilled out a bolt for me in the middle of the day in like an hour, charged me $20. Sadly, he sold the business to some Harley custom chopper dude who "only builds custom choppers".

RIP Shiny Side Up

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

builds character posted:

Maybe, but they could also just ask. And tone matters too. It was pretty bad, even for NYC where brusque is what I'd expect.

Yeah, what the gently caress kinda attitude is "don't give me the bad work"? Oh, so I should only be giving you oil changes while I do stuff I'm not qualified to do?

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
I got buzzed by a cyclist who thought he was hot poo poo while waiting for a red to change. He blasted right through the intersection and I was so disappointed that nothing happened to him.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Local news just did a study on bike lanes here in Louisville. Out of 750 bikes spotted, roughly half were using the bike lanes improperly or not at all.

Oh and had a nice motorcycle tally for my lunch run:
- Guy in a golf cart turned immediately in front of me while I was driving 25mph with high beams on.
- Honked and stopped to avoid two left-turners who didn't see me
- Threaded through a three-car accident on a plain stretch of road with no stops, in clear weather with unlimited visibility
- Changed lanes to pass a 350z on the left. He immediately swerved into my path forcing me to go around in the original lane

18 miles roundtrip. Goddamn these fuckers cannot drive.

revmoo fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jul 24, 2015

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
You must live in loving Russia. You really need to shove a GoPro on your chin, and just do an edited daily video log of all the idiots you encounter.

I seriously don't have as many incidents in a year as you do in a single ride.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

captainOrbital posted:

You must live in loving Russia. You really need to shove a GoPro on your chin, and just do an edited daily video log of all the idiots you encounter.

I seriously don't have as many incidents in a year as you do in a single ride.

Well you probably know how to ride

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

revmoo posted:

Local news just did a study on bike lanes here in Louisville. Out of 750 bikes spotted, roughly half were using the bike lanes improperly or not at all.

How many cars use car lanes improperly or not at all? (from the evidence of the rest of your post it looks like it might be comparable)

Razzled posted:

Well you probably know how to ride

LOL

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
LOL indeed. I've managed to get 5k on two wheels since December and kept the shiny side up the entire time so...

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Also

captainOrbital posted:

Ok my credit card is out I've waited too long. Roam 3 or Replay XD Prime?

EDIT: Fuckit, grabbed the XD Prime. That Android app is sweet. Also Contour seems allergic to posting tech specs.

revmoo fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jul 24, 2015

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I see a good amount of idiots every time I ride too but at this point I can predict 90% of these incidents before they happen. It's fun to look up ahead and call out things like "he's going to switch lanes without a blinker" or "he's going to turn right from the left lane".

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

hot sauce posted:

I see a good amount of idiots every time I ride too but at this point I can predict 90% of these incidents before they happen. It's fun to look up ahead and call out things like "he's going to switch lanes without a blinker" or "he's going to turn right from the left lane".

Yeah same for the most part. Really annoying though. "This dude's gonna pull out in front of me damnit. Fucker, there he goes. Ok put the binders on, lay on the horn. Oh he noticed me halfway and only pulled partially into the road. Great, now to row six gears back to cruising speed again" *repeat five times on a single ride*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

revmoo posted:

LOL indeed. I've managed to get 5k on two wheels since December and kept the shiny side up the entire time so...

Whereabouts you live in the ville? I'll ride down and meet you somewhere in the sticks in the middle and I'll vouch for you. Screw these assholes.