Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Krispy Wafer posted:

The solution is a sign making it illegal and a cop who hangs out on the corner each morning one random one day a week. After a month parents will stop dropping their kids off there and the local police department will clear a tidy profit.

In dashcam news, one of the more annoying aspects of my vehicle is it delivers power through USB for one hour after I shut the car off. It's pulling 5v's which is probably negligible for a modern car battery, but I'm paranoid. An USB on/off switch extension cable later and it's not a problem. I do have to remember to flip the little toggle though.

I’d be more worried about accidentally leaving the dashcam off the time I needed it than I would be about wear on the battery.

Car batteries have huge capacities by portable electronics standards and the car’s alarm and whatnot is drawing more current anyway (and for longer than one hour).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Platystemon posted:

I’d be more worried about accidentally leaving the dashcam off the time I needed it than I would be about wear on the battery.

Car batteries have huge capacities by portable electronics standards and the car’s alarm and whatnot is drawing more current anyway (and for longer than one hour).

I got into the habit of manually turning off the dashcam by holding down the power button for 3 seconds, so flipping a switch now is super quick and easy to remember

I know modern car batteries have obscene capacities compared to older ones, but after you have a minivan battery die in a Wal-mart parking in bumfuck Pennsylvania you get super paranoid. Plus it’s a Chrysler-Fiat product so all bets are off.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:
I have one of these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015TKUPIC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It has come in really handy for boats, power equipment, airplanes (yes, I used it on a Cessna a few times), and once even my car.
Now that I think of it, should probably buy another one to keep in the trunk of the Maserati to help it burn to the ground.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

chrisgt posted:

I have one of these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015TKUPIC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It has come in really handy for boats, power equipment, airplanes (yes, I used it on a Cessna a few times), and once even my car.
Now that I think of it, should probably buy another one to keep in the trunk of the Maserati to help it burn to the ground.

I have a LiPo jump pack, and it’s in a fire‐resistant bag because I don’t have a death wish.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Krispy Wafer posted:

In dashcam news, one of the more annoying aspects of my vehicle is it delivers power through USB for one hour after I shut the car off. It's pulling 5v's which is probably negligible for a modern car battery, but I'm paranoid. An USB on/off switch extension cable later and it's not a problem. I do have to remember to flip the little toggle though.

It's not the voltage that matters, it's the amperage. Though most dashcam power supplies won't OUTPUT more than 1.5A @ 5V, and the dashcam likely draws a lot less (even factoring in conversion losses). I've left them running overnight in my car with no issue when there were... issues.. at my old apt complex.

Get a hardwire kit and tap it into a circuit that shuts off with the car.

Platystemon posted:

I have a LiPo jump pack, and it’s in a fire‐resistant bag because I don’t have a death wish.

Heat is why I still refuse to touch those things. :corsair: Black car, black interior, sunroof, and add a very unhealthy helping of Texas sun; I don't know how well they'd hold up long term. The only thing I have going for me is, at the moment, I have a garage that the car is parked in until about 2pm. I'd be fine with a carport if I didn't do a lot of DIY maintenance.

I also have AAA and some 4 gauge jumper cables. :colbert:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Apr 24, 2019

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:
I bought an expensive name brand lipo jump pack in the hopes that it WOULDN'T catch on fire. Of course I live about 3000 miles north of texas, but I'm not overly worried about lithium batteries catching on fire from sitting in a hot place. The bigger fear is catching on fire when using an insane amount of current off them (like, say, starting a car).

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Sup Dallas drivers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPd_4z81-48

Think this might have been one of those unmarked Amazon delivery vans, so dude could very well have been asleep. Note to Amazon security: I get not wanting to put your logo on the vans to deter porch pirates, but flooding neighborhoods with identical white vans isn't really much better...

e:
Bonus lightning from this morning:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RUvZqEgVOY

superdoublebonusedit:

Light traffic on a straight road on a clear spring afternoon? Time to REAR END A MOTHERFUCKER
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMplHdEZPsg

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 06:00 on May 3, 2019

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Amazon vans are generally wrapped now, regardless of if it's an Amazon employee (VERY rare) or a third party DSP (delivery service provider) (common) driving them. And they don't ever order them with rear windows.

I left Dallas almost a year ago, and I still recognize that loving intersection. gently caress everything about it, that one and Dallas Pkwy/635 were the bane of my existence as a delivery driver.

Caught a dude being a total bro after a storm rolled through, there were some garbage cans in the middle of the road (probably blown there by the storm, but maybe some kids put them there, who knows). He threw on his hazards, jumped out, and moved them back to the curb while it was still pouring. :golfclap:

My dashcam a bit earlier. It was a little wet outside. Somehow this didn't turn into a hydrolock video.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 11:17 on May 4, 2019

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I bought my wife a dashcam for her car like a week ago, and they sent me this on Amazon today.

quote:

Dear Master,

This is your little child apeman C450 Series A! ^ ^

Thank you so much for taking me home.I'm new from the APEMAN big family. To give you a better understanding of me, here is the instruction video and latest usual manual.
VIDEO: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2t7I3oPKNwg&t=1s
Manual: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1GUFXgceNQvCaMbVYiTshICddjC_pmKyJ/view

And below are some warm tips:
1.Please prepare a max 32 GB Class 10 or above Micro SD card. Don't forget to format SD card on the camera before using.
2.Turn on the camera, press OK button to play recording. Press mode button to enter picture/playback/preview mode.
3.Under preview mode, press menu button once to enter the menu, press menu button twice to enter setting of the camera.
4.When screen saver on, the screen will be black after the setting time. Turn off LCD Brightness on the menu if you want the screen always on.
5.The camera will turn off if it is not under recording, please kindly check whether the SD card gets full.
6.The camera will turn off if it is not under recording, please kindly check if the SD card gets full. And we suggest to turn off parking guard and motion detection while driving.
7. Red light on the left screen means the camera is charging.Blue light flashing means the camera is recording.
8.Headlight warning feature will cause the beep sound at night. It can be turn off on the menu.

If one day I am sick, could you please contact my little friend Mia? Email here and she will help you within 24 hours. I will always stay with you and protect you.^^

Your new family member,
C450 Series A

It's a pretty great little dashcam, and thankfully not a child. This email is just loving hilarious. Though I don't know why they insist on using a max 32GB card, it works fine with a 64GB Samsung card.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

STR posted:

Amazon vans are generally wrapped now, regardless of if it's an Amazon employee (VERY rare) or a third party DSP (delivery service provider) (common) driving them. And they don't ever order them with rear windows.

Here in their hometown of Seattle they use unmarked Sprinters, or even employee cars. The one in the video was a Ram Promaster.

I'm not sure how to feel about the brand name of APEMAN.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Charles posted:

My thoughts exactly! :D That email though, haha

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009
Driving in Midwest fog

https://i.imgur.com/lrZGh0n.mp4

Aftermath here: https://imgur.com/gallery/Ti9NsgM

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

There's a blinking stop sign embedded in the front of the car.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Protocol7 posted:

It's a pretty great little dashcam, and thankfully not a child. This email is just loving hilarious. Though I don't know why they insist on using a max 32GB card, it works fine with a 64GB Samsung card.

The "don't use cards larger than 32 GB" thing is pretty common in cheap dashcams, and the reason probably comes down to Microsoft.

The SDXC spec that enables >32GB SD cards requires supporting Microsoft's exFAT filesystem. This is a patent-encumbered system and licensing is required to support it commercially.

That said, SDXC and SDHC are basically identical from an electrical standpoint. The SD > SDHC transition required a reworking of how the cards identify their size so it was impossible for a SD device to interact with a SDHC card without a firmware update, but when they designed the new format with SDHC they were thinking ahead as far as capacity. The C_SIZE field is 22 bits long and counts multiples of 512KB, allowing it to support a card up to 2TB. The SDHC spec just said that anything over 65535 was invalid for now. A SDHC device that just doesn't consider large numbers to be invalid would effectively have unofficial support for SDXC cards without having to support exFAT.

So basically if they want to officially support >32GB cards they have to pay Microsoft for the right to do it, and I'm sure a lot of these cameras have really tight margins.

I'd assume there are a portion of cameras that say that which truly do not support >32GB cards, either due to following the spec to the letter or bugs resulting from a lack of testing up there. I think however that there are a lot more that work just fine with larger cards but are officially SDHC devices for licensing reasons and thus can't officially support them.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Well, the crash structure in the Focus did its job. Interesting to see the doors were able to be opened without any assistance

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Charles posted:

Here in their hometown of Seattle they use unmarked Sprinters, or even employee cars. The one in the video was a Ram Promaster.

Not employee cars at this point, they're 1099 drivers for a program called Amazon Flex. They may have been employees at one point in Seattle. Also, the DSPs aren't required to have wraps, they only recently started letting DSPs lease the Prime wrapped vans.

Source: I've driven for them off and on for Flex since they launched.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Krispy Wafer posted:

If you put the USB toggle by your phone charger you'll never forget.

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

Dear God, what is it like in your funny little brains?
It must be so boring.
Solar Coaster: goddamn.

Hey folks. Any recommendations for an oem style rearview mirror with a dashcam and connection for rearview? Ideally 4k and capable of more than a 128gb memory card. Cheers.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Looking for a good recommendation for a front and rear dash cam for my old Tacoma. Preferably one where I can download clips straight to a phone. I don't need GPS. Thanks.

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

Dear God, what is it like in your funny little brains?
It must be so boring.
So are the Gentex actually worth the premium pricing?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I think the kids may need to take the keys away from this guy. No reaction at all to honking, waving, flashing lights, etc, and looked like he was about to keel over.

Yes, I did call the police. I have no idea if they caught up to him or not. I hope they did, because it looked like something was very wrong with him. :smith:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0sFm4W2RTk

This intersection is a little bit of a clusterfuck, but there's a one way sign where he originally turned, and plenty of DO NOT ENTER signs.

Crude overlay on the map. Red line is the path he took. Wide green highlighter line is the path he would have had to take to accomplish the same thing safely (also, unaltered map link)

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 07:24 on May 20, 2019

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

New Dash Cam Australia monthly compilation. There's a lot of swearing in it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcJmTTAZi20

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

STR posted:

I think the kids may need to take the keys away from this guy. No reaction at all to honking, waving, flashing lights, etc, and looked like he was about to keel over.

Yes, I did call the police. I have no idea if they caught up to him or not. I hope they did, because it looked like something was very wrong with him. :smith:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0sFm4W2RTk

This intersection is a little bit of a clusterfuck, but there's a one way sign where he originally turned, and plenty of DO NOT ENTER signs.

Crude overlay on the map. Red line is the path he took. Wide green highlighter line is the path he would have had to take to accomplish the same thing safely (also, unaltered map link)

I’m convinced that TacoDeli has some sort of effect on people, because that intersection is always a clusterfuck. All the people coming from the Domain on north Mopac get in the wrong lane and dive over, you’ve got people turning left on reds, just a general bad design.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Tacodeli closes at 3pm, though. This was a lot later in the day. (I know you were somewhat joking, but still..)

Texas allows left turns on red if both roads are one way; I'm not quite sure how that would work at this intersection, since it's technically two one way streets at this point. Gracy Farms is 2 way until it passes that shopping center (forced to turn right onto the service road, through its own dedicated lane with a yield sign, and the lane is striped such that you're supposed to remain in the far right lane).

This was also a (very) elderly driver that looked really out of it.

I've yet to try Tacodeli though... maybe it'll have that effect on me.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 05:37 on May 21, 2019

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

Reminds me of my favorite TX law, you can turn from any lane to any lane as long as nobody else has right of way.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Oddhair posted:

Reminds me of my favorite TX law, you can turn from any lane to any lane as long as nobody else has right of way.

That law doesn’t exist

(a) To make a right turn at an intersection, an operator shall make both the approach and the turn as closely as practicable to the right-hand curb or edge of the roadway.

(b) To make a left turn at an intersection, an operator shall:
(1) approach the intersection in the extreme left-hand lane lawfully available to a vehicle moving in the direction of the vehicle; and
(2) after entering the intersection, turn left, leaving the intersection so as to arrive in a lane lawfully available to traffic moving in the direction of the vehicle on the roadway being entered.

(c) On a street or roadway designated for two-way traffic, the operator turning left shall, to the extent practicable, turn in the portion of the intersection to the left of the center of the intersection.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Oddhair posted:

Chad did a good post on it, but yeah, you can only do that on left turns, and only if you're in the only left turn lane (i.e. single lane allowed to turn).

That said, it's not really enforced in major cities, unless the cop is bored, or you've already grabbed his/her attention for something else and they're just looking for a reason to light you up. But if you're in a small town, or in the smaller suburbs, they'll definitely stop you for it. Along with 2 mph over the limit in a 45, "looking out of place" because your car is a bit beat up (or a bit too nice) for the neighborhood, etc.

I've been stopped more since moving in August than I have since my last ticket (2005), but so far no ticket. Twice it was a "you don't look like you belong around here" because I'm driving a beater in an upper class middle part of town. The plates and my license have the same address, which is in this immediate area. :argh: (also once for.... uh... grabbing my cell phone off the dash to read a text when psycho GF was blowing up my phone, with a cop behind me... rather strict laws on handling a mobile device here... I'm really glad I didn't get a ticket on that one) (before you guys blow up, 1am, empty 4 lane road aside from 2 cars a bit behind me)

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 06:50 on May 22, 2019

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

a year of saving clips, and all I have to show for it are two clips posted previously, a couple of assholes, and a lot of being buzzed by helicopters.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvfhDMRB64U

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

a year of saving clips, and all I have to show for it are two clips posted previously, a couple of assholes, and a lot of being buzzed by helicopters.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvfhDMRB64U

Huh, your video has been blocked on copyright grounds, unfortunately. That was quick to go down!

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Major Isoor posted:

Huh, your video has been blocked on copyright grounds, unfortunately. That was quick to go down!

all because of 15 seconds of Jay-Z on the radio, no less. Should be available again shortly

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Close call for the wife today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rK_O_GSNlg

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Fuuuck. An inch of gas pedal travel was the difference between a 2 or a 3 car accident. Glad she's ok and I hope everyone else was, too.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

DFW drivers :argh:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Not mine, and not exactly a dashcam, but Texas drivers sooooooo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQMBvJuKjwk

I'd say they were blitz out of their minds, but everything they did seemed so deliberate. I can't imagine what their goal was during any of that :shrug:

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Stolen from the front page of reddit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMOo49plXgQ&t=34s

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

STR posted:

Chad did a good post on it, but yeah, you can only do that on left turns, and only if you're in the only left turn lane (i.e. single lane allowed to turn).

That said, it's not really enforced in major cities, unless the cop is bored, or you've already grabbed his/her attention for something else and they're just looking for a reason to light you up. But if you're in a small town, or in the smaller suburbs, they'll definitely stop you for it. Along with 2 mph over the limit in a 45, "looking out of place" because your car is a bit beat up (or a bit too nice) for the neighborhood, etc.

I've been stopped more since moving in August than I have since my last ticket (2005), but so far no ticket. Twice it was a "you don't look like you belong around here" because I'm driving a beater in an upper class middle part of town. The plates and my license have the same address, which is in this immediate area. :argh: (also once for.... uh... grabbing my cell phone off the dash to read a text when psycho GF was blowing up my phone, with a cop behind me... rather strict laws on handling a mobile device here... I'm really glad I didn't get a ticket on that one) (before you guys blow up, 1am, empty 4 lane road aside from 2 cars a bit behind me)

I would swear I had read it previously but I guess it was really old info. I understood it to be chapter 19 section 545 of the Texas Motor Vehicle code but that's what I get for speaking declaratively about something I don't know that much about. I did learn about the turning rules from a sanctioned Defensive Driving (Driver's Safety) course though again it may have simply changed. I believe we're no longer allowed to turn left on red, either, though it was legal for a long time. The old verbiage specifically said "to any available lane." I had a guy decide to merge/dump his POS into my lane immediately behind a cop and he didn't see or didn't do poo poo either way but I've been moving for a week so it may have aged out of my camera.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Firing squad. No trial, no jury, don’t wait until dawn. Jesus loving Christ.

(“But that’s only 99% of what I wanted!”)

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

This is the I75 S to SR826 S interchange all day every day.

It doesn’t even surprise me anymore.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Jesus the speed from a perceived tap was enough to put the secondary impacted SUV (after taking out the pole) on it's side, at least for a bit.

Did it come to rest on it's wheels? Can't tell.

EDIT: It did, after a decent slide on it's left doors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Takes No Damage posted:

Not mine, and not exactly a dashcam, but Texas drivers sooooooo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQMBvJuKjwk

I'd say they were blitz out of their minds, but everything they did seemed so deliberate. I can't imagine what their goal was during any of that :shrug:

That Jeep is doing a terrible job of removing itself from a bad situation.