Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I just saw a deck list with Leadership Denethor, Gondorian Shield, Armored Destrier, and ally Arwen.

The idea is that both attachments go on Denethor, and using Arwen's action on him means he is defending twice each round with sentinel for 6 defense, also pitching a shadow card from another enemy. :eyepop:

http://ringsdb.com/decklist/view/2442/secretly-overpowered-1.0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008
Armored Destrier is just a monstrous card. Slipped it into a deck with Erkenbrand and it's just "I don't want to deal with shadow effects" the game.

A BIG FUCKING BLUNT
Nov 10, 2007

Anyone else think Lannister is too strong to be getting a deluxe expansion? There's a lot of Lanni hate going on in my meta, some of it warranted, some not, about it. I think a lot of the hate comes from the fact that being control locked is not a fun experience.

A BIG FUCKING BLUNT
Nov 10, 2007

Too be fair though my meta has felt Lanny has been a problem since LCG 1.0

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

A BIG loving BLUNT posted:

Anyone else think Lannister is too strong to be getting a deluxe expansion? There's a lot of Lanni hate going on in my meta, some of it warranted, some not, about it. I think a lot of the hate comes from the fact that being control locked is not a fun experience.

I think so but I'm only a casual player, so maybe I'm uninformed. In a game where every faction has a gimmick of some sort, Lanni is just all around strong and they're (maybe?) the best at the strongest challenge type right now. They need an expansion probably the least of any house.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

A BIG loving BLUNT posted:

I wish it was a faction that really needed the help getting a box, like Tyrell, but the previews so far don't look especially overpowered to me. It looks like the box is more about taking Lanni in a different direction than it is about making them even more powerful.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
The big boxes are designed to make house archetypes wider, not deeper. They also already confirmed the other house cards in the box are specifically strong against some Lannister shenanigans. Stark fealty is still considered too tier nationally, but Lannister remains a strong second.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Bottom Liner posted:

The big boxes are designed to make house archetypes wider, not deeper. They also already confirmed the other house cards in the box are specifically strong against some Lannister shenanigans. Stark fealty is still considered too tier nationally, but Lannister remains a strong second.

From my understanding in a vacuum lanni is still considered best. Its just stark fealty has a great game against Lanni so in the meta they are stronger with tons of tourneys having huge Lanni presence

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Yeah, but that's how tiers are designated in something without hard statistics (like an overturned character in a fighting game, for instance).

nyxnyxnyx
Jun 24, 2013
Stark is getting some really sick cards though. Edmure Tully from the next pack is great, for example.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Bottom Liner posted:

Yeah, but that's how tiers are designated in something without hard statistics (like an overturned character in a fighting game, for instance).

My point was that unless you expect tons of Lanni, the "best" deck is still gonna be some Lannister variant. If you expect a field like the dude at Nationals who ended up playing like 8 out of 11 matches against Lannister variants (and I think one of the other three was Lion banner), then yeah Stark's the way to go.

Although even with that, I think that most factions are viable. I'd say Lannister/X, Martell/Lion, and Stark Fealty are probably the 3 best decks, but Bara fealty and Greyjoy still are competitive. And everythings gonna get shaken up as soon as Valar is released anyways. Also, looking at some of the newer spoilers, character life expectancy in general may be taking a severe dip.

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012

alansmithee posted:

character life expectancy in general may be taking a severe dip.

Boo this.

sexart
Jan 5, 2001

Damn...I know alotta big words
Just wanted to brag that I finally won a Summer Kit tournament, with Nights Watch Fealty at that.

http://imgur.com/fSXZW4N

Craven is some bullshit!

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

sexart posted:

Just wanted to brag that I finally won a Summer Kit tournament, with Nights Watch Fealty at that.

http://imgur.com/fSXZW4N

Craven is some bullshit!

Wooooo Night's Watch!! Care to share your list??

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

So just as I said, the Lannister box is centered on a totally new archetype; Clansmen. New Tyrion with Clansmen and Leaping Lions style is going to be great.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/8/24/assault-from-the-mountains/

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Bottom Liner posted:

So just as I said, the Lannister box is centered on a totally new archetype; Clansmen. New Tyrion with Clansmen and Leaping Lions style is going to be great.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/8/24/assault-from-the-mountains/

BAMF is such a better name for the deck type. Not sure how I feel about the deck just yet. Still there are a lot of good characters that slot easily into existing good Lannister BAMF decks just by virtue of being strong characters you could run 1x just for BAMF/Hear Me Roar.

nyxnyxnyx
Jun 24, 2013
I pledge my initialdeckbuilding loyalty to the One True Queen Cersei. gently caress the Imp.

sexart
Jan 5, 2001

Damn...I know alotta big words

Merauder posted:

Wooooo Night's Watch!! Care to share your list??

Character (34)

2x Arry
2x Benjen Stark
2x Dolorous Edd
2x Halder
1x House Maester
1x Littlefinger
2x Maester Aemon
2x Messenger Raven
3x Old Bear Mormont
1x Old Forest Hunter
3x Ranging Party
2x Rattleshirt's Raiders
2x Samwell Tarly
1x Ser Alliser Thorne
1x Ser Waymar Royce
3x Steward at the Wall
3x Sworn Brother
1x Veteran Builder

Attachment (10)

3x Craven
1x Longclaw
3x Milk of the Poppy
2x Old Bear's Raven
1x Practice Blade

Location (14)

2x Castle Black
3x The Kingsroad
3x The Roseroad
1x The Shadow Tower
3x The Wall
2x White Tree

Event (3)

2x Nightmares
1x The Watcher on the Walls

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

New Arkham Horror preview up. Goes into how skill checks work, with a little on the chaos bag. It sounds good all around to me. I'm more hyped.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

EVGA Longoria posted:

New Arkham Horror preview up. Goes into how skill checks work, with a little on the chaos bag. It sounds good all around to me. I'm more hyped.

I keep going back on forth on how hype it sounds. I'll have a day where I'm ready to go all in on it, then the next I just want to sell off all of my Star Wars and GoT and double (triple) down on LotR. My group tends to go through phases where we get all excited about LotR, then for some reason stop playing for a few weeks or months, then get all excited and are like "Why haven't we been playing this all along???" Of course now that Khazad-Dum is out of print (again) and listed at $80+, we may just have to suck it up and play some AH.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Khazad Dum goes in and out of print so fast I'm on my third copy and have made a profit overall.

Doesn't make a dent in overall LotR net spend, though.

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

I went some place mum and everyday I woke up in that place and told myself I'm alive and I was.
I played the demo of Arkham at Gen Con. It's a ton of fun and I'm hyped. I'm planning on buying in but no way am I giving up on Lord of the Rings.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Been away from this thread for a while, but has there been any news regarding the L5R LCG?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

always be closing posted:

Been away from this thread for a while, but has there been any news regarding the L5R LCG?

It's coming out next year, but that's all we really know.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

always be closing posted:

The Chief Marketing Officer did an interview with Team Covenant and said he was pushing for a big event at Gencon, and that it would be the biggest LCG release in their history.

Nothing regarding gameplay but sounds like they're going to push it hard.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
The Dead Marshes is the biggest slog of a quest I've played yet. I've run through it with three different decks: Leadership (hill troll in setup ruined my day), Lore (failed the final capture 3 times until I won with a threat of 48) and Spirit (couldn't get an Unexpected Courage for the life of me and lost Gollum to the encounter deck twice). Now I guess it's time to give it a go with Tacti:suicide:

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

PaybackJack posted:

The Chief Marketing Officer did an interview with Team Covenant and said he was pushing for a big event at Gencon, and that it would be the biggest LCG release in their history.

Nothing regarding gameplay but sounds like they're going to push it hard.

This is great to hear. I'm an easy mark for the setting, and I hope the unwashed masses are as well.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I'm really surprised we didn't get any info about it at Gencon, but I guess they had their hands full with a ton of releases and soon to be released games.

EnjoiThePureTrip
Apr 16, 2011

FFG's booth at GenCon had big displays saying "L5R LCG Coming GenCon 2017" and that was pretty much the only mention of it as far as I know. Sort of makes sense since they were showing off the Arkham LCG this year.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Rarity posted:

The Dead Marshes is the biggest slog of a quest I've played yet. I've run through it with three different decks: Leadership (hill troll in setup ruined my day), Lore (failed the final capture 3 times until I won with a threat of 48) and Spirit (couldn't get an Unexpected Courage for the life of me and lost Gollum to the encounter deck twice). Now I guess it's time to give it a go with Tacti:suicide:

Don't play the mirkwood cycle it's garbage.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

How in the bloody hell do you "discover" treasure cards? Do they go in the encounter deck? Can you use them in the first quest in Over Hill and Under Hill?

jadarx
May 25, 2012

EdsTeioh posted:

How in the bloody hell do you "discover" treasure cards? Do they go in the encounter deck? Can you use them in the first quest in Over Hill and Under Hill?

Usually by quest card text. They're player backed cards, so they won't go in the encounter deck.

For example, the first quest in OHUH has this "when condition is met, the players discover [treasure]". I'm being general since I know some players like to go in unspoiled.

After that, you can put them in your deck per the treasure rules.

jadarx fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Aug 30, 2016

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

jadarx posted:

Usually by quest card text. They're player backed cards, so they won't go in the encounter deck.

For example, the first quest in OHUH has this "when condition is met, the players discover [treasure]". I'm being general since I know some players like to go in unspoiled.

After that, you can put them in your deck per the treasure rules.

Thanks! I get the rules for adding them to decks, but didn't see any cards that said "discover treasure X" or whatever. Also, this quest is the hardest poo poo ever.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

EdsTeioh posted:

Also, this quest is the hardest poo poo ever.

If this thread was exclusively for LOTR LCG, this would be a good title

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/8/29/an-unlikely-friendship/

Sands of Harad heroes = not that surprising. That Mirkwood Long-knife though!

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
That Legolas has a Noldor power.

mongol
Oct 11, 2005

Ronald Reagan? The actor!?

sassassin posted:

That Legolas has a Noldor power.

I love it. It gives you a reliable discard for in-sphere cards like Elven Light and ally Glorfindel.

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

So that synergy works out as:
1. Legolas and Gimli commit to the quest.
2. Discard a card, Gimli readies.
3. They quest for 4
4. Gimli defends for 2
5. Spend 1 resource from Gimli, ready Legolas
6. Attack with Legolas for 4

Repeat every round :allears:

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

canyoneer posted:

If this thread was exclusively for LOTR LCG, this would be a good title

Heh. We had been playing through Mirkwood with 3 players running monosphere and adding cards to the pool as we started new AP's. One of our regulars is having some family issues, so we decided to do the Hobbit sets using the recommended dual sphere decks. Holy balls is this killer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

mongol posted:

I love it. It gives you a reliable discard for in-sphere cards like Elven Light and ally Glorfindel.

Like a lot of Noldor characters, yeah.

Silvan is supposed to be a different theme.