Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

X-O posted:

Oni has some good stuff. My recommendations in this sale would be:

Letter 44
The Sixth Gun
The Bunker - Though I will admit the art style might be a turnoff for some people, I liked it but it's a rough style
Wasteland

I haven't read all of Stumptown, but what I have read is really good.

All of those are pretty lengthy deep dive books though. So If you're looking for a short light fun read I recommend Jeff Steinberg or Terrible Lizard. They're both fun little books.

Couldn't do the art in The Bunker, especially with each character being doubled. The style is fine but I couldn't tell who was who.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf

zoux posted:

Couldn't do the art in The Bunker, especially with each character being doubled. The style is fine but I couldn't tell who was who.

Haha, that's exactly why I dropped it too; too bad, it was an interesting story.

Wasteland is goddamn great though, buy that.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

https://www.comixology.com/DCs-Back-to-School-Sale/page/16075
Gotham Academy. Do it.
Lumberjanes/Gotham Academy links to the wrong thing right now, but I highly recommend that when it comes up.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Aug 29, 2017

ninguno
Jan 17, 2011
Does anyone have any suggestions for tracking the comics they like and have read?

Because of these humble bundles I've ended up reading a couple of issues of so many titles, and if the one I like starts with A I've completely forgotten the name of it by the time I've read through the U titles so I don't even know to look out for it on teenage fansub's sale announcements.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I use a Google Spreadsheet to keep track of things that look interesting and I want to read, as well as what the last issue I read them was.

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

Yep, Google Spreadsheet with the last issue # of every comic I read, along with the date I read that issue. I don't think there's a better/quicker way.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I keep a large "to read" list in Amazon. Same with movies I wanna watch.

Since it's the digital comics thread, there's a wishlist function in comiXology.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I just got an iPad Pro (so expensive for what I'll use as a glorified e-reader, but 12.9 inches and that resolution...) and am going to migrate my reading over from my previous Android tablet.

What's the best app for reading cbr files? I don't mind paying if it's high quality.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Semi-annual Marvel BOGO sale with code "marvel17" going on now.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Picked up some missing books I had for Wasp, Hawkeye, Infamous Doctor Doom, and US Avengers. The code can be used multiple times, so I am thinking of picking up all of Doctor Aphra for $25, as I did enjoy the Darth Vader book.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Jordan7hm posted:

I just got an iPad Pro (so expensive for what I'll use as a glorified e-reader, but 12.9 inches and that resolution...) and am going to migrate my reading over from my previous Android tablet.

What's the best app for reading cbr files? I don't mind paying if it's high quality.

There is no perfect app but I still use comic glass. It is straightforward and allows me to organize me books as I see fit. It allows me to connect and download from my network share in a "normal" file browser way, and without additional software or other bs. Almost every app I've ever used on iPad has some weird failing, typically revolving around file management. Most apps have no problem with the reading experience, so file management is the only other really important thing.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Uthor posted:

Semi-annual Marvel BOGO sale with code "marvel17" going on now.

It stacks with the Inhumans sale, so get Charles Soule's run for a total bargain.
https://www.comixology.com/Inhumans-Sale/page/16115

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Jordan7hm posted:

Comixology scales up well on the iPad Pro, or I dunno if they just have a matching high resolution or whatever. Marvel Unlimited is fine but nowhere near as good looking.

If you're going for files on your PC or something then YACReader is really the only logical choice. It's the only reader I know of that can read directly from a network share without having to download the book to the device. And it has a good library feature for organization. Think of it as Plex for Comics.

X-O fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Sep 1, 2017

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Grant Morrison DC/Vertigo sale

https://www.comixology.com/DCs-Finest-Grant-Morrison-Sale/page/16111

My top recs are Doom Patrol, Animal Man, JLA (incl. Earth 2 and DC One Million), Seven Soldiers and All-Star Superman. Batman's a great work, but there's a bit too much missing from the sale.

Note that the opening and closing chapters of Seven Soldiers aren't there. You'll have to get them full priced (https://www.comixology.com/Seven-Soldiers-of-Victory/comics-series/3762) but do it anyway. It's his best work IMO and the sorta prequel to Final Crisis and Multiversity (which isn't on sale!) To make easier, you might just want to spring for the two collections that are $6 more than all the singles.
There's also a semi-prequel to it in the three JLA Classified issues.

The Batman collection order goes: Batman and Son Deluxe (not on sale!), Unwrapped RIP (colour version not on sale!), Final Crisis (in the leftovers at the bottom of the page), Batman and Robin 1-3, Return of Bruce Wayne (read with BnR vol 3), Time and The Batman, Batman Incorporated 2010 (not on sale!), Batman Incorporated N52 vol 1-2.
Gothic and Arkham Asylum are earlier isolated stories and not part of the saga.
edit: And skip the Al Ghul crossover.

The Lois, Lex and Prez collections don't have much to do with him. His contribution to Prez is just one page from the Multiversity guidebook.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Sep 5, 2017

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

If I get the 4 Morrison JLA collections, is the rest of the run worth getting or is his stuff all I need? And will it be obvious where JLA Classified/Earth 2/One Million fit in or should I look up a reading order?

I think I've assembled almost all of his Batman from various sales, I should look up a full reading order and see what I need to round things out.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

It's been a while, but I loved the Kelly/Mahnke JLA. Never read Waid's inbetween volume.

edit: And I remember the consensus was to quit at Claremont after Kelly, but then you can follow that team onto Justice League Elite.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Sep 5, 2017

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Teenage Fansub posted:

It's been a while, but I loved the Kelly/Mahnke JLA. Never read Waid's inbetween volume.

Volume 5? I"m reading it at the moment. It's pretty great.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Waid's jla is good too.

Looking at my list I have up to vol 6 and it is mostly pretty solid. 5 has some duds, but there are a couple of stories that are good.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Sep 5, 2017

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Combined the Marvel BOGO sale with the Generations sale to pickup Ms. Marvel #8-18 for $6.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

OhFunny posted:

Combined the Marvel BOGO sale with the Generations sale to pickup Ms. Marvel #8-18 for $6.

Thanks for the heads up, I picked up the first Iron Heart volume and the Complete Captain Marvel trade for 6 bucks total.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
oh FFS i forgot to try that

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Humanoids 50% off line-wide.
https://www.comixology.com/Humanoids-Linewide-Sale/page/16140

That's where you get your Jodorowsy and Moebius at.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Is there anything better than ComicRack out there for Windows comic library management? Not that there's anything wrong with it, just curious. Finally broke down and bought a Windows 10 tablet because it was too much of a pain in the rear end to track what books I've read on my old Android tablet.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

https://www.comixology.com/Harley-Quinn-Sale/page/16168

https://www.comixology.com/Road-to-Bloodshot-Salvation-Sale/page/16200

For Bloodshot, you can just start at the Jeff Lemire stuff with The Valiant, then Bloodshot Reborn.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Sep 13, 2017

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.
Comixology sent me a coupon for up to 50% off DC Comics, expires September 18th. I can't use it right now but I figured someone else could. It's single use, so first come, first served.

DC50OFF-75N7J

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I also received one, go wild.

DC50OFF-JJLSZ

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Any recommendations for Bronze Age Superman stuff I could buy with this sale? I've heard the current Rebirth stuff is really good and maybe I'll end up getting some of that too but I'd rather get some of that 70's and 80's goodness if I can.

Edit: Hm, there are barely any trades for stuff pre-Byrne. That's a shame. Rebirth Action Comics and Manapul's Trinity it is, then.

Lobok fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Sep 14, 2017

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Lobok posted:

Rebirth Action Comics

Get 'Superman' instead. Can't stress that enough.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Teenage Fansub posted:

Get 'Superman' instead. Can't stress that enough.

I was trying to get a sense from reviews of which one to choose and because they were evenly split (at least based on what I saw) I figured I'd go for a creative team that gave me more confidence. Even though from Spider-Man experience it seemed like 'Superman' was the equivalent of 'Amazing'.

But if you insist, then ok! I put more stock into BSS opinions. Especially if they have Superman avatars.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Ask in the DC thread. I think you'll get an almost unanimous swing in favour of Tomasi's comic.
Superman is almost all about his relationship with his son, the new Superboy*. It's really charming and the art is great. Tomasi and Gleason previously did the great N52 'Batman and Robin', which was all about that father-son relationship, so they're pretty good at that sort of thing.
Action Comics is much more meat and potatoes with really spotty art.

There's also a Superboy and Damian team-up comic called Super-Sons which compliments Superman quite well. I'd take that over Trinity, if you can only follow a couple of things.

*The set-up is a bit crazy to wrap your head around, if you haven't been following.
He's actually Superman surviving the previous continuity shift with his Lois and new son, living in hiding during the New 52 till their Superman died.
There's a miniseries called Lois and Clark which deals with that. It was pretty good. Clark has a sweet beard during it.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Sep 14, 2017

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Teenage Fansub posted:

Ask in the DC thread. I think you'll get an almost unanimous swing in favour of Tomasi's comic.
Superman is almost all about his relationship with his son, the new Superboy*. It's really charming and the art is great. Tomasi and Gleason previously did the great N52 'Batman and Robin', which was all about that father-son relationship, so they're pretty good at that sort of thing.
Action Comics is much more meat and potatoes with really spotty art.

There's also a Superboy and Damian team-up comic called Super-Sons which compliments Superman quite well. I'd take that over Trinity, if you can only follow a couple of things.

*The set-up is a bit crazy to wrap your head around, if you haven't been following.
He's actually Superman surviving the previous continuity shift with his Lois and new son, living in hiding during the New 52 till their Superman died.
There's a miniseries called Lois and Clark which deals with that. It was pretty good. Clark has a sweet beard during it.

I kinda was hoping for some more meat and potatoes but not at the expense of the art. And if the gooncensus is that Superman is the better written title anyway, then that's an easy decision for me.

As for Trinity, it's mostly because I really like Manapul from his Flash. But also because he's a hometown guy and from following him on Instagram I've been seeing fantastic bits and pieces of Trinity for a year now.

Thanks for bringing me to up to speed on the set-up as well. The Comixology solicits are actually pretty good for that, too. Does that mean the New 52 Superman with the Jim Lee armour look is now dead and the current Superman has continuity with the pre-new 52 guy?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Yup. N52 Lois is gone too.
But to go into full spoiler mode (follow at your own discretion), after almost a year into Rebirth an event caused Supe's pre-and-post N52 continuity to mash together into one thing.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Sep 14, 2017

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I did hear about that already. Not following comics when they come out, either through trades of DC or through Marvel Unlimited, means I'm resigned to seeing spoilers for most big stories.

Kind of a shame that there's always this pressure to make continuity "clean" or to have past stories "matter".

Emo Szyslak
Feb 25, 2006

SilentChaz posted:

Comixology sent me a coupon for up to 50% off DC Comics, expires September 18th. I can't use it right now but I figured someone else could. It's single use, so first come, first served.

DC50OFF-75N7J

Thanks! I claimed it

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Bah, I got a BOOM half code instead of a DC one, so here it is as I have no interest in anything they have.

BOOM50-P94HR

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Rirse posted:

Bah, I got a BOOM half code instead of a DC one, so here it is as I have no interest in anything they have.

BOOM50-P94HR

I want this! But I can't claim it for another two hours or so. I'd someone snags it before I won't be mad.

vkeios
May 7, 2007

Uthor posted:

I want this! But I can't claim it for another two hours or so. I'd someone snags it before I won't be mad.

well, here's another chance.
BOOM50-X50FV

SMP
May 5, 2009

and a third

BOOM50-N1C51

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
fourth

BOOM50-ZMYZS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Save up to 50% on your next BOOM! purchase. Use code BOOM50-ZKJTB at cart page.