Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

bunnyofdoom posted:

My Aviation Medical Examiner has been a bit non-commital, but how long I am out you think with a sprained MCL? Already in physio, but I don't wanna gently caress with pressure, and have a knee spasm while trying to do a sideslip and cock it up.

Are you retarded? I mean this in the shittiest way possible.

What exactly do you want to happen? Why would an AME want to put his license on the line by telling you 4 weeks and then you snap your leg on the 5th week and decide to sue.

But then again, why are you even bothering your AME about this. What did your primary care doctor say? You aren't dumb enough to use your AME as your primary Doctor, right?

Would you have preferred the AME medically grounded you for 4 weeks?

Am I getting trolled???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Captain Apollo posted:

What exactly do you want to happen? Why would an AME want to put his license on the line by telling you 4 weeks and then you snap your leg on the 5th week and decide to sue.

But then again, why are you even bothering your AME about this. What did your primary care doctor say? You aren't dumb enough to use your AME as your primary Doctor, right?

Am I getting trolled???

Sorry let me rephrase. My AME literally said "when you feel ready" and brushed me off.

My primary dr, who is not an AME, while diagnosis it, didn't either give me any word about it.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Captain Apollo posted:

Am I getting trolled???

Have you been drinking?

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Animal posted:

Have you been drinking?

Well. He IS an aviation professional.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever

The Ferret King posted:

Well. He IS an aviation professional.

Whoa, let's not say things we can't take back. ;)

simble
May 11, 2004

simble posted:

I have my 2nd BFR coming up on Sunday. I can't believe it's already been 4 years since I got my PPL. Flying owns. Especially when your wife's grandma who we visit frequently lives 115 miles away.

Our club also recently picked up a 1997 182S with every bell and whistle imaginable. Dual aspens, a Garmin 750 and a 430 and a 696, JPI 830 engine monitor, everything. There are so many screens in this cockpit.

BFR taken care of. Good for cloud hole punching for 2 more years. This was a good one. It never fails that on a BFR everything happens differently and tries to throw you off. For example, I've been flying out of P19 in Chandler, AZ for the last 2.5 years, but not once have I had to take off to the north. It's 17/35 and the winds are either calm (I fly a lot in the morning), or they're a direct crosswind and in those situations you always take off on 17. Really threw me off my game, but everything else went smoothly.

I had yet to actually stall the 182 (lots of stalls in a 172), and the nose is a lot heavier in the 182 (obviously) and it breaks a lot harder.

Then the instructor asked me to do a short field takeoff. My brain froze at the hold short line, but then somehow I managed to find the file in my brain with the rote memorization from my PPL training. All available runway, flaps 10, full power, release brakes, Vx climb out.

All in all, super fun. I should go up with instructors more often. I get a bit nervous, but I always come away learning something. What I really need to do is start saving for my IFR and get on it.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
Related, I had an instrument check today and actually had to enter holding for reals. Go figure.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
Who tells the loving AME they sprained their knee? Who tells anyone they sprained their knee?

VOR LOC
Dec 8, 2007
captured

Bob A Feet posted:

Who tells the loving AME they sprained their knee? Who tells anyone they sprained their knee?

This guy gets it.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
Wen I sprained my MCL I woke up the next morning with one knee twice the size of the other and about zero range of motion in the knee. At that point you go to the doctor.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

KodiakRS posted:

Wen I sprained my MCL I woke up the next morning with one knee twice the size of the other and about zero range of motion in the knee. At that point you go to the doctor.

Pretty much what happened. I'm sorry, I thought I was supposed to talk to my AME when something like this happened.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

bunnyofdoom posted:

Pretty much what happened. I'm sorry, I thought I was supposed to talk to my AME when something like this happened.

Legally speaking, yes, you should talk to your AME any time you're concerned about your fitness to act as a flight crew member. Honestly it seems like American AMEs are really harsh, maybe there's a significant difference between laws and liabilities between the US and Canada. Even after surgery, the AME told me I could fly as soon as I felt able.

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost

Bob A Feet posted:

I only reluctantly told my AME that I had cancer.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

4 RING SHRIMP posted:

It's also funny because I think I was expecting it to be some sort of adrenaline rush or for me to be nervous, but in reality it was almost like relaxing and serene. Like the perfect blend of actively controlling a freaking airplane (with an instructor of course) and enjoying myself. I think my bpm heart rate was higher talking about how psyched I was to continue doing it than it ever was in the air. The instructor pretty much handled the landing completely once I descended to 1500 I think. I was kind of relieved about him doing that ALL himself at that point, but the ease with which he landed it was incredible.

Definitely want to continue. My instructor was recommending 2-3 times a week if I seriously want to do this, which isn't out of the question but will probably have to wait until after the new year. I bought a log book. Didn't proofread and I'm full of Dewars.

If you want to do it, planning on 3 times a week is a good idea. You probably won't fly 3 times a week because of things like weather and aircraft scheduling and the like, but planning for 3 means you'll probably fly several times a week, and that really does help progress and means possibly finishing in fewer hours since you spend less time covering the same material repeatedly.

Also if you are serious, you may want to talk to the instructor about how he would want you to do ground school. He may want you to do ground school with him, but many instructors don't care and are just as happy to have you go do it on your own, using video training like King Schools or Sporty's, a textbook system like Jeppensens, or the free FAA textbooks. That's something you could do leading up to the new year.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

KodiakRS posted:

Okay that's great but we're talking Aviation Medical Examiners here.

John McCain
Jan 29, 2009
Anyone in the thread have any experience/views on flying into or out of a RECAT facility?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
*Sits down, pours a drink and looks up from glasses*

I have no idea what that is.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Woohoo, I am now officially "recent" on my PPL for the first time in almost a decade. Tomorrow I get to do my first night solo, and with any luck, I'll be done my night hours for my night rating by the end of next week (still have another 5-ish instrument time to complete, but we're saving that for when the weather is really lovely, since I can do it in the sim).

John McCain
Jan 29, 2009

Rolo posted:

*Sits down, pours a drink and looks up from glasses*

I have no idea what that is.

Smaller wake turbulence separations.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

ABX went on strike.

Jeff Bezos is gonna be very pissed off.

VOR LOC
Dec 8, 2007
captured

Best drat news I've heard all month! Pretty sure I've got some CVG turns when I go back to work later this week.

VOR LOC fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Nov 22, 2016

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

Get the scientists working on the tube technology, immediately.
It's a shrewd play. This is the absolute worst time this could happen for Amazon. Hopefully that means a quick resolution. It's kinda cool, pilot strikes are so rare these days. How can you guys at Atlas make sure you're not going to be flying their routes?

VOR LOC
Dec 8, 2007
captured
No crossing the picket lines in CVG and ILN. Everything else is fair game however up to and including flying the aircraft into those airports.

Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.
So I crossed 1,500 hours last week. I have an ATPL application sitting on the pile at Transport Canada and a resume at every airline in the country with whom I stand the remotest shot of getting hired. Just sittin' around, hoping for the phone to ring or for an email to come in is tedious.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fOKnQWZR3g
Kurt Russel Gets It.

SomeDrunkenMick
Apr 21, 2008

Hi aviation thread, I did base training in a 737 today. 6 touch and goes, it was an amazing experience, for me rates up there with going solo for the first time. Stress levels and nerves beforehand were high, but that sense of satisfaction afterwards is hard to beat. I was kind of suprised with how accurate the sims I've just been in captured the feel of the aircraft, I didn't expect it to be so close.

hjp766
Sep 6, 2013
Dinosaur Gum

EvilJoven posted:

I honestly would rather ascend to 3500 and have to deal with the workload of dealing with YWG CTR than drop down below 3000' and only have see and avoid to keep me from running into another bugsmasher.

I hear you, although the last time I tried that on a renewal in England the instructor took one look at my plot and said stop being lazy, I want to see you getting crossing clearances instead of a single entry clearance and going over the top of everything.

:suicide: :bang: :suicide:

Also the fact I can't make it through a light aircraft flight without using a work call sign, ever.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Goddamnit do I ever hate the taxi-of-shame back from the runup bay because the mag check hosed up...

Perhaps someone with more knowledge than I can answer this: when I was doing the mag check, there was a standard drop running on the left magneto only, then no drop at all between Both and R, which would suggest that the grounding wire for that position is hosed (the mags were grounded in the Off position). What exactly is the danger of flying like that? I assume there's some reason I shouldn't do it, but I'm not sure what it is. Any thoughts?

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
I don't know that I'd necessarily jump to the conclusion that it's a broken wire based off just that. With just a fouled plug you could still have that. Did you try a lean burn off?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

The Slaughter posted:

I don't know that I'd necessarily jump to the conclusion that it's a broken wire based off just that. With just a fouled plug you could still have that. Did you try a lean burn off?

No. Would that be accompanied by the other mag running rougher than usual? Because I thought it was just my imagination (and the drop was within limits) but it seemed like the engine was running rougher than usual on L-only. In either event, this was my second solo in 9 years so even if I'd known that I don't know I'd have felt comfortable doing a lean burn off. Oh well.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Did you switch it to off to see if it shut off?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

e.pilot posted:

Did you switch it to off to see if it shut off?

Yes I did, it was working as expected in the OFF position. However, I have been told that with a rotary switch like that in the C172, the Off position can be working properly while L or R is not (I'm not sure if that's true, though).

It was probably fouling, now that I'm thinking about it. We're at 4000' but it's SOP not to lean the mixture for takeoff or in the circuit, so it's not terribly surprising.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Occam's razor then suggests fouled plug to me first, I would have sat there in the runup area, set the parking brake, max brake and leaned it out for best power to be really hot for about a minute or two. Lead needs pretty high temps to burn off.

https://www.lycoming.com/sites/default/files/Magneto%20Drop-Off.pdf

The Slaughter fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Nov 30, 2016

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
That sounds like some kind of electrical issue to me, since a fouled plug wouldn't cause the good mag to have zero drop.

If it were a hot mag, the engine would have kept running in the "off" position, so I'm guessing it was something in the switch that wasn't grounding the left mag when the switch was in the "R" position.

That said, it's very possible to have both a fouled plug and an electrical issue, which would give you a bigger drop on one mag and zero drop on the other.

Out of curiosity, why doesn't the school lean on the ground at that elevation? When I flew carbureted airplanes in ND and AZ (at 800 and 2400' respectively), the procedure was to lean slightly after engine start, and lean for about peak RPM on runup, which helped keep the plugs clean and never caused any problems that I was aware of.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

azflyboy posted:

Out of curiosity, why doesn't the school lean on the ground at that elevation? When I flew carbureted airplanes in ND and AZ (at 800 and 2400' respectively), the procedure was to lean slightly after engine start, and lean for about peak RPM on runup, which helped keep the plugs clean and never caused any problems that I was aware of.

That's an excellent question. I do know that both schools I've flown with at this airport have the same SOP not to lean the mixture prior to takeoff, so there must be some kind of compelling reason for it.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Having a richer mixture can help the engine stay cooler... but leads to fouled plugs more often. And too rich a mixture robs you of power you might need for takeoff for example.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
I'm sure running the mixture full rich does keep engine temps down, but for something like a Piper or Cessna trainer,the increased fuel burn and fouled plugs have to cost more than whatever wear the slightly cooler oil temperatures might save.

When I instructed, I ground-leaned at density altitudes ranging from -2000ft to +5000ft and never had issues with engine temperatures, so I've never understood why some schools are convinced people are going to burn up an engine if they lean it a bit during runup.

azflyboy fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Nov 30, 2016

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
My field is at 760' and I was still taught to lean it out a ton from just after startup to run up.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I fly at a field elevation of NINE feet MSL and lean on the ground. (Full rich for takeoff.) At 4-5k ft, you're probably on the verge of fuel-washing the cylinder walls. I agree with the above poster that said to do a full-power lean-out to clear the plugs and see if the condition persists.

You were absolutely right not flying it like that, but it may have cleared up with a good hot run-up, and saved you the taxi of shame.

Keep in mind that most (if not all) O-360s were certified on either 80 or 91/96 octane avgas. 100LL fouls plugs in these engines like it's going out of style, because they just don't need that level of preignition protection. They simply don't burn hot enough at idle to deal with the amount of TEL in 100LL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

This is digging into my ancient history now, but don't the 172 and most other piston aircraft typically have a recommendation (not a requirement, mind you) in the POH to lean for best power when flying out of airfields with an elevation greater than (typcially) 3000 feet?

• Locked thread