Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

In Britain it's still a really common thing for racists, especially older ones - my ex was Asian and he would get "smells like curry in here" on the train sometimes, and this was not decades ago but like, a couple years. I've also heard racist old guys yammer on about how Asians put all those spices in their food to hide the fact that they're eating rotten meat, this kind of weird food libel associating a minority group with impurity and monstrosity. There's really serious prejudice here, still, against British Asian people, which is why I think Demon 79 hits even harder if you're familiar with all that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Rarity posted:

Murder, it's fine if you're enjoying it!

Live, laugh, drill

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
You're only a true Brit if you eat your grey piece of meat unseasoned with all the flavour of cardboard :colbert:

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Rarity posted:

You're only a true Brit if you are a grey piece of meat unseasoned with all the flavour of cardboard :colbert:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
That too

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Carpet posted:

In Demon 79 they brought back the film effect at a few points early on when Nida has her daydream sequences, but then seems to drop them later on which was a shame. But also, if you are going to do an effect like that, then it should be shown in the proper aspect ratio!

I think the idea was Nida had a vivid fantasy world that felt like a grindhouse movie, so you question whether any of the apocalypse and demonic stuff is real at all but it just felt like an effect they came up with during post-production and decided to stick on a few scenes. It would have been interesting to see the whole episode presented that way, to me at least. It would have stuck out a lot more as a unique episode.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
I was very disappointed Nida didn't put on the whole mannekin outfit and just the jacket.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Cojawfee posted:

I keep thinking back on this post. You did watch what she was doing right? They didn't specifically show it, but she's killing those two with a drill.

ram dass in hell posted:

yeah but she's so carefree and happy!
Yes I know ha. Like I said my reaction was stupid but the the tape scene was really light on horror despite its actual content.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back

Annabel Pee posted:

I was very disappointed Nida didn't put on the whole mannekin outfit and just the jacket.

Yeah she was never gonna pull it off with that weird beige rear end uniform they wear.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I loving loved Mazey Day. Started strong, and the twist was so unexpected it was genius. Just a tight, strong three-act story.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Mazey Day certainly rewards a rewatch. A lot of lines have a new meaning once you know the twist.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Alhazred posted:

Demon 79: I'd forgotten that people used to complain about foreign, spicy food. Especially since we make biryani all the time for the kids in the kindergarten where I work.

We still do when you hear it in the office microwave. Wasn't the case there, due to the era and no microwave to amplify the smell, but people do inconsideratey destroy offices with their lunches.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

Kuiperdolin posted:

Mazey Day certainly rewards a rewatch. A lot of lines have a new meaning once you know the twist.

The way she said, "A man?" at the roadblock, did she think she hit a wolf?

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you

Darko posted:

We still do when you hear it in the office microwave. Wasn't the case there, due to the era and no microwave to amplify the smell, but people do inconsideratey destroy offices with their lunches.

Lmao, I’m so glad I live in a diverse area and never had to work in an office with people who get upset by the smell of warm biryani, Jesus Christ.

Gwaint
Oct 22, 2010

"Music is the truth. Just listen..."

Tokelau All Star posted:

The way she said, "A man?" at the roadblock, did she think she hit a wolf?

Well she did hit a wolf, didn't she? She got out of the car and must have thought she hurt somebody, then got closer and thought it was an animal, maybe a dog, then she gets bit. She runs the hell away and gets back in her car and drives off.

So then when she finds out the next day it was actually a man she hit, she's probably freaking out on the inside, wondering what the hell is going on.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
Mazey Day - I thought the twist was going to be that she had hit a deer but thought she had hit a man, but her unnecessary guilt had driven her to addiction. I guess I was sort of right.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?

Darko posted:

I stayed in an Airbnb not so long ago where the host specifically asked us not to make curries in the house as the last guests they had (who the host stressed were lovely people) cooked something pungent and the smell got into all the soft furnishings and it took a lot of work to get the smell of spice out of the house.

As a person who works in a diversity and inclusion team there were lots of lines in Demon 79 that had me cringing and reflecting on what a discriminatory shitshow a lot of workplaces would have been in the past. Granted, there's still heaps of room for improvement but at least things aren't that bad now.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Maybe I know too many racists -- it's a national hazard -- but "Indian spices smell bad" is often code for racial misogyny targeting women's bodies. It's not their cooking they're saying smells bad.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Darko posted:

Who the gently caress thinks biryani smells bad.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
They are British, so anything more flavorful than the salt and pepper on the chicken nuggets and french fries in their "chinese" food is too much.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Demon 79: Fun little movie, although it's a "Red Mirror" episode rather than Black Mirror. I guess Brooker is testing whether people would watch an all-supernatural spinoff of Black Mirror. I enjoyed it, I'd probably watch more Red Mirror at some point but I wouldn't be nearly as enthusiastic as I am for more Black Mirror. Her eyes when she was hallucinating was similar to the effect in Men Against Fire, but I don't think it was meant to imply that she had a brain chip or anything like that.

Alhazred posted:

Who the gently caress thinks biryani smells bad.

Racism makes life worse for everyone, including the racist.

Anyway, having finished this season, this is my personal list of all-time favourite Black Mirror episodes:

5. Shut Up and Dance
4. Mazey Day
3. Nosedive
2. White Christmas
1. San Junipero

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Fun season, a fair bit different, weakest episode was clearly Mazey Day... which also happens to be the name of a midsummer festival while I'm here vacationing in Cornwall. There better be werewolves.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Chamale posted:

I guess Brooker is testing whether people would watch an all-supernatural spinoff of Black Mirror.

I would, though being honest, Guillermo del Toro’s Cabinet of Curiosities is the anthology supernatural horror series on Netflix I want more of. Not that every episode of that is amazing, but I loving love GDT. And the auteur focus of it is cool.

My visceral reaction to a few episodes this season was, “this isn’t Black Mirror,” though I’ve softened on that for every one except “Demon 79,” which is a fine story, and fun to watch, but I met them way more than halfway to see how it relates to dehumanization through technology/media, or to other typical BM themes. I suppose the rise of far-right political messaging via media is in there? I don’t know.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Xealot posted:

My visceral reaction to a few episodes this season was, “this isn’t Black Mirror,” though I’ve softened on that for every one except “Demon 79,” which is a fine story, and fun to watch, but I met them way more than halfway to see how it relates to dehumanization through technology/media, or to other typical BM themes. I suppose the rise of far-right political messaging via media is in there? I don’t know.
Demon 79 isn't supposed to be about technology/media (even though the talisman can be seen as Hell's version of an usb stick or something),it's not even a Black Mirror episode.

LinkesAuge
Sep 7, 2011

Raere posted:

The device in Beyond the Sea was basically the mind transference stones in Stargate Universe. It was fun to see that idea taken to a grisly conclusion that Stargate never would've had the balls to do

I honestly don't think that idea was even really well explored. At first I thought they would go in the direction of raising the question what it means for your own personality if you share your physical form with someone else but in the end the technology / the body sharing didn't really matter. It was just about (toxic) masculinity and trauma (though a bit clunky). So the technology was only there to setup the whole situation but it didn't affect who these people were. It's a story you could tell the exact same way without this specific tech and nothing at all would change.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Beyond the Sea reminded me a little bit about the remote work experience during the COVID lock-downs. These guys basically log into their work life at certain times of the day strictly to just perform labor. The ship is not a social or livable space. They never have any meaningful human interactions with each other or spend time together (or quality time on the ship in general). They are basically strangers. And when one of the strangers has a major life crisis, the other is very distant and reluctant to get involved or provide emotional support because they are not really part of healthy social structure.

I guess if they had an actual life on the ship and were friends, Aaron Paul would have offered to spend time with him. Play some cards or video games or watch a movie together. Keep him from going insane from boredom and isolation.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
One Loch Henry thing I noticed that made me :thunk:

1990s: There's been a horrible murderer hiding in plain sight in this picturesque town. Let's go elsewhere.
2020s: There's been a horrible murderer hiding in plain sight in this picturesque town. I can't wait to visit.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
It's the true crime appeal that brought the tourists back in the present day.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

I agree that this season wasn't very Black Mirrory but are people taking that as a negative? I'd rather have another season like this or sucking dick through street fighter than a season of people stuck in simulations.

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

Not sure how entertaining the Streamberry shows would be. Each one would just be the subject of the show watching their own show and dealing with the fallout.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

Tagichatn posted:

I agree that this season wasn't very Black Mirrory but are people taking that as a negative? I'd rather have another season like this or sucking dick through street fighter than a season of people stuck in simulations.

I would argue that the Street Fighter episode was extremely Black Mirrory.

The way I'd define Black Mirror is that its some allegory/metaphor for a certain aspect of human nature and interaction told through the lens of a piece of technology that is either an exaggeration or a conceptual evolution of concepts that are familiar to us. That's why this season felt very different. A few episodes hit this mark really well, but there are two that definitely felt very different, as they leaned heavily on the Supernatural to create their surprises. You can argue that previous versions of technology from other episodes of Black Mirror (namely the consciousness cloning) are sufficiently advanced enough to essentially be Supernatural, but the in-episode explanations for those things was always "technology has advanced this far."

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Normy posted:

Not sure how entertaining the Streamberry shows would be. Each one would just be the subject of the show watching their own show and dealing with the fallout.

I think it would only work once. Joan is awful works because everyone else is watching it. So when she does something terrible, nearly everyone sees it and judges her for it. if everyone has their own "____ is awful" show, then the number of people watching each one is a lot lower, the the blow back is a lot less. Famous people's show will be watched probably, but if a normal person's show gets watched at all, it will probably be family for friends, or weirdo enemies. So you'd end up with a few minor blow ups like "Why did you go to that party but not invite me? I saw it in your show" but most people are not going to become pariahs.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
We would probably adapt to it the same way we adapted to the fact that we are literally in reach of anyone that wants to talk to us at any time of day instantly.

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

We would probably adapt to it the same way we adapted to the fact that we are literally in reach of anyone that wants to talk to us at any time of day instantly.

That would have been a cool black mirror concept. Everyone living fake lives because everything they do is put on a TV show. Social media or reality TV turned up to 11.

I guess why would anyone have streamberry though. Unless it's just to see everyone else's show.

Gotta say though those would be the most boring shows and I was about to say why would anyone watch that but then reality TV is kind of a big deal

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you
It would give birth to a whole phenomenon of people doing outrageous stuff to try to get people to watch their show and become minor celebrities. Like that guy who filmed the suicide forest but now he doesn’t have to carry his own camera.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Resdfru posted:

That would have been a cool black mirror concept. Everyone living fake lives because everything they do is put on a TV show. Social media or reality TV turned up to 11.

That's sort of a heightened Nosedive

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

One Loch Henry thing I noticed that made me :thunk:

1990s: There's been a horrible murderer hiding in plain sight in this picturesque town. Let's go elsewhere.
2020s: There's been a horrible murderer hiding in plain sight in this picturesque town. I can't wait to visit.

That rings true tbh 30 years is enough that any lingering guilt about gawking at a tragedy is gone. A recent murder hits different than a historical murder.

Also the whole conceit of a true crime show is that it takes something that was ultimately just awful and grotty and elevates it into myth. The difference between watching news reports of a thing ha watching a high end Netflix show recontextualise news reports on a thing

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The idea that people stopped visiting a tourist town because of a murder is still weak as hell though. It would have bumped up tourism from the onset.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Tagichatn posted:

Considering that the show is called "Black Mirror"...

Also your second example both didn't take place this season and was highly Black Mirrory so it's hardly a relevant example.

Superrodan posted:

I would argue that the Street Fighter episode was extremely Black Mirrory.

The way I'd define Black Mirror is that its some allegory/metaphor for a certain aspect of human nature and interaction told through the lens of a piece of technology that is either an exaggeration or a conceptual evolution of concepts that are familiar to us. That's why this season felt very different. A few episodes hit this mark really well, but there are two that definitely felt very different, as they leaned heavily on the Supernatural to create their surprises. You can argue that previous versions of technology from other episodes of Black Mirror (namely the consciousness cloning) are sufficiently advanced enough to essentially be Supernatural, but the in-episode explanations for those things was always "technology has advanced this far."

I highly agree with this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I was really looking forward to Beyond the Sea but it really fell flat for me. It felt like all the building blocks of a good episode were there but just weren’t put together right