Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

Wow, I was expecting an epilogue, not a pilot. It’s a shame that the chances of it continuing/becoming a TV series are so low, because that was 100% Konaka right there.

Same, but then again I've seen enough of Konaka's stuff that I probably shouldn't have been surprised this is how it went. I haven't seen anything by Konaka that didn't have an open ending or that didn't in some way link to a broader untold story.

Then again this was described as his sequel pitch in the lead-in right?

Omnicrom fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Apr 6, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Honestly, aside from Konaka's concerns about it, Toei is definitely not gonna greenlight a Digimon series where the characters are twenty year old adults, even with Dragon Ball GT Goku Takato rolling about.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Nodosaur posted:

Honestly, aside from Konaka's concerns about it, Toei is definitely not gonna greenlight a Digimon series where the characters are twenty year old adults, even with Dragon Ball GT Goku Takato rolling about.

Oh yeah, just wait for Digimon Quad

It'll be the confusing adventures of Matt going to Mars with some heretofore unseen character taking up a lot of the screen time and focus

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
If any of you knows portugese, a brazilian fan posted a synopsis for Tri's last movie

https://ani-venture.blogspot.mx/2018/04/pre-estreia-de-digimon-adventure-tri.html?m=1

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Nodosaur posted:

I dunno. Digimon has found a rather important niche with the adult fanbase, with Tri and the games from Re:Digitize onwards. That's only a logical step forward, giving adults a series about adults.

It probably wouldn't be released like a normal Digimon show though, it'd have to be something like Amazons, on a web service.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Burkion posted:

Oh yeah, just wait for Digimon Quad

It'll be the confusing adventures of Matt going to Mars with some heretofore unseen character taking up a lot of the screen time and focus

This idea of Konaka's would have had its own Meiko. They need a new character and Digimon to promote and use as a mascot.

Blaze Dragon posted:

I dunno. Digimon has found a rather important niche with the adult fanbase, with Tri and the games from Re:Digitize onwards. That's only a logical step forward, giving adults a series about adults.

It probably wouldn't be released like a normal Digimon show though, it'd have to be something like Amazons, on a web service.

This is true, but the characters being near 30 isn't exactly what I'd expect. Even adult-oriented anime favors teenagers and young adults.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 29 hours!
We do have Takato 2003 in the mix as a POV character.

I loved this, really hope it gets picked up some way or another.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Nodosaur posted:

This is true, but the characters being near 30 isn't exactly what I'd expect. Even adult-oriented anime favors teenagers and young adults.

Toei recently finished airing an anime whose protagonist is over 40 and a grandfather. Exceptions exist.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Yeah but that's also kind of a grandfather clause.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
If the spoilers I'm reading are true, Our Future is just a terrible, terrible trainwreck.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

If the spoilers I'm reading are true, Our Future is just a terrible, terrible trainwreck.

Mind translating?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Ending on a lame note is just being true to Adventure so I hope that's true, that way it can be 3/3 on bad endings.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Blaze Dragon posted:

Ending on a lame note is just being true to Adventure so I hope that's true, that way it can be 3/3 on bad endings.

Oh come on, Adventure 1 has a great ending.

Sure Apocalymon comes the gently caress out of nowhere but at least he's fun

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

He still comes entirely out of nowhere, without explanation, and adds nothing to the series which is pretty damming for the final boss of the series. If anything, Tri has used Apocalymon better than Adventure has.

Still a better ending than 02 but that's not high praise, 02's is still the worst ending in the franchise.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Burkion posted:

Mind translating?

Cliff notes

* Maki does not appear in this film, being its end the scene of the OVA 5.
* Meicoomon helps Tailmon to be rescued by Jesmon by donating his data to her, so the double tail of Holydramon.
* Meiko's Digivice releases the power of Omegamon MM
* Ordinemon (only with Meicoomon in the body) begins to undo and then is cut in half by Omegamon, and Meicoomon is purified and disappears in data
* Three months passed after the fight ended and Meiko left and never came back
* Rasielmon does not appear
* Daigo sacrifices himself to save Taichi.
* The 02 kids were apparently in hibernation capsules, and show at the end as silohuettes
* There's some teasing for the cast taking up the careers shown on the Epilogue

Blaze Dragon posted:

Still a better ending than 02 but that's not high praise, 02's is still the worst ending in the franchise.

I thought 02's ending was a wonderful way to close the Adventure series' but hey, I also love GT and was underwhelmed by Super so :shrug:

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I'd argue that as well if it wasn't for the loving epilogue

That epilogue is just inexcusable and if Tri has any sense at all, it'll just quietly ignore the thing entirely

DT, if that's all true, that doesn't even sound like an ending. It just sounds like "more poo poo to come I guess"

phourniner
Feb 19, 2007

When you're in a town like this all covered with smoke, you forget that there's a world outside. Nothing amazing happens here. And you get used to that, used to a world where everything is ordinary. Every day we spend here is like a whole lifetime of dying slowly.

Nodosaur posted:

Honestly, this is absolutely perfect. Everyone who watched Tamers on Fox Kids or their relative stations is now in their 30's or close to it. What better way to cater to the fans?

It worked for Toy Story.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Cliff notes

* Maki does not appear in this film, being its end the scene of the OVA 5.
* Meicoomon helps Tailmon to be rescued by Jesmon by donating his data to her, so the double tail of Holydramon.
* Meiko's Digivice releases the power of Omegamon MM
* Ordinemon (only with Meicoomon in the body) begins to undo and then is cut in half by Omegamon, and Meicoomon is purified and disappears in data
* Three months passed after the fight ended and Meiko left and never came back
* Rasielmon does not appear
* Daigo sacrifices himself to save Taichi.
* The 02 kids were apparently in hibernation capsules, and show at the end as silohuettes
* There's some teasing for the cast taking up the careers shown on the Epilogue

I thought 02's ending was a wonderful way to close the Adventure series' but hey, I also love GT and was underwhelmed by Super so :shrug:

I see my approach of ignoring Tri's existence as much as possible is continuing to be a good idea

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

phourniner posted:

Honestly, this is absolutely perfect. Everyone who watched Tamers on Fox Kids or their relative stations is now in their 30's or close to it. What better way to cater to the fans?

It worked for Toy Story.

I mean, the people who watched it on Fox Kids isn't exactly Toei's target audience for this kind of stuff.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Also, Toy Story was actually good

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

PMush Perfect posted:

Also, Toy Story was actually good

Are you saying Tamers isn't good?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Yeah, I'm sorry, that was uncalled for.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Found this chart made by japanese fans.

Horizontal is interesting, vertical is exciting. Adventure is used as the control point.

Both interesting and exciting:
>Appmon
>Xros Hunters

Exciting but not interesting
>Frontier
>Savers
>Xros Wars
>Xros Generals

Interesting but not exciting
>02
>Tamers
>X-Evolution

Neither exciting nor interesting
>tri.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

And this is supposed to be anything but anecdotal, why?

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

It's DT. Just pretend he's not posting, or put him on ignore. Dude will post endlessly about poo poo no one cares about and act like everyone is incredibly interested.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Nodosaur posted:

And this is supposed to be anything but anecdotal, why?

I thought it was interesting. Isn't like the thread is thriving with activity anyways. :shrug:

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Both interesting and exciting:
>Xros Hunters

Exciting but not interesting
>Frontier

Interesting but not exciting
>02
>Tamers

Neither exciting nor interesting
>tri.

Shittiest takes here. 02 and Frontier are neither, Tamers is both, tri. is at least interesting even if it isn't exciting.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Look, the important thing is that Tailmon evolves into Holydramon and nothing can take that away from me.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Matoi Ryuko posted:

It's good 2 see u.

:tipshat:

Blaze Dragon posted:

Shittiest takes here. 02 and Frontier are neither, Tamers is both, tri. is at least interesting even if it isn't exciting.

i think when it says exciting they might mean actiony, since i can agree with saying tamers is less actiony then the other series

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

mandatory lesbian posted:

:tipshat:

i think when it says exciting they might mean actiony, since i can agree with saying tamers is less actiony then the other series

Honestly yeah, you guys are being a bit too rough on DT here

I largely have to agree with these- none of them are exactly a measure of quality after all.

If Tamers had a serious problem, its that it basically runs out of villains super early on, and for a kids adventure show that's kind of important. We get Scari Jeri at the end but even she's super subdued due to her role.

Tamers manages to be a great show regardless, maybe even because of that fact, but it's one thing Adventure has in spades. Even Apocalymon, who you can argue about, was a really great bad guy for them to have to fight.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Burkion posted:

Honestly yeah, you guys are being a bit too rough on DT here

I largely have to agree with these- none of them are exactly a measure of quality after all.

If Tamers had a serious problem, its that it basically runs out of villains super early on, and for a kids adventure show that's kind of important. We get Scari Jeri at the end but even she's super subdued due to her role.

Tamers manages to be a great show regardless, maybe even because of that fact, but it's one thing Adventure has in spades. Even Apocalymon, who you can argue about, was a really great bad guy for them to have to fight.

I mean you have Impmon who is pretty great threat

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 29 hours!
Yeah, I took exciting to mean in terms of nonstop action and the such. Tamers has pretty good action, but it is definitely toned down compared to others. Think the finales, like Adventure was solved with everyone throwing their big final hits, 02 with even more totally everyone throwing their big final hits, Frontier had a bit of a huge kaiju fight, while Tamers has a big mega final sword slash whiff hard and then programs and emotional growth and support defeated the monster. Which is great.
That's not to say Tamers is unexciting or anything. Beelzemon vs Gallantmon is amazing. But the big fights aren't as common, and its best moments are more character-driven than having a cool-rear end fight.

It's still just a silly scale, but I can't say I find it particularly wrong or worth debating against.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

My issue is more trying to pass this off as reflective of any kind of wider sentiment in the Japanese fandom or like it proves anything about the reception of... well, anything.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Nodosaur posted:

My issue is more trying to pass this off as reflective of any kind of wider sentiment in the Japanese fandom or like it proves anything about the reception of... well, anything.

I don't know why are you getting so bent of shape about this. I just posted because I thought it was an interesting peek at the mindset of the Japanese fanbase. But hey, if you rather let the thread die because no one tries to spark any conversation :shrug:

Anyways

https://twitter.com/Digisoulweb/status/982841100581908480

Translation.

Straight from Konaka's twitter, a picture of a prototype logo for Tamers. He also says that originally it was considered for all digimon animated projects to include the word Adventure on the title but this idea was ultimately scrapped.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I'm glad they didn't go with that. Seeing how Adventure has by far the biggest universe of all series, "Adventure" serves well as a term for those series and things linked to them specifically instead of all Digimon anime.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Digimon Evo would be a great name for a show, though.

Anyway, let's talk about something more constructive. What's a Digimon you would have liked to see get more (or any) attention in the wider media?

Personally I'm kind of bummed Plesiomon never got its fair shake in the anime. Blahblahblah evolution "making sense", but it's clearly designed with being an Ultimate for Gomamon in mind, and the use of Vikemon instead ends up leaving two evolution lines out in the cold. All poor Plesiomon has gotten is bit roles and stuff in the video games, and it's a charming, memorable design to boot.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Crossmon has always been that to me. I learned about it thanks to a sticker of some sort and instantly fell in love with its design, yet it's mostly non-existent in the wider franchise. At least Plesiomon had a role in one episode of Hunters.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Slash Angemon might be mine

I discovered him back in, like, 2002 thanks to Digimon World 3 and holy poo poo, he's the most anime protagonist thing ever.

He's all metal and blades with blade wings and giant swords for hands and it's just hilarious

He's like what a really overexcited child would design to make Angemon WAY COOLER

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Burkion posted:

I discovered him back in, like, 2002 thanks to Digimon World 3 and holy poo poo, he's the most anime protagonist thing ever.

In Xros Wars, he's voiced by Noboyuki "Guy Shishioh" Hayami, and is suitably hot blooded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

I've always been a huge fan of Deathmon, the only Demon Lord digimon who never hit it big. Deathmon was a real good monster of the week in V-Tamers, but beyond that Deathmon has basically no traction in digimon media. I suspect it's because Deathmon is thoroughly unthreatening, but I find it rather endearing.