Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I assumed it would be a Tales of the Supergirl type thing where everybody's buying these books written by SUPERGIRL HERSELF!! But really its Mick ghost writing everything and in his mind he just substitutes himself in whatever scene he's currently writing, villain, hero, civillian, whoever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Don’t Hassle Me I’m Local

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

The Elite did nothing wrong.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Manchester Black is cutting a loving promo

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Brainy's antagonism towards Kelex is exactly as delightful as the writers intended

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Asian hat guy owns. He has style and a useful power.

2 billion dollars? That's a pretty cheap satellite death laser!

nooneofconsequence posted:

howe_sam posted:

Brainy's antagonism towards Kelex is exactly as delightful as the writers intended

:same:

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Maxwell Lord posted:

Don’t Hassle Me I’m Local

He kept that shirt after the Valentines Day episode! Also big props to Manchester Black for fighting off those guards with a SWORD!

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Did anyone else start humming "Super Friend" from the musical when Kara introduced her team as the Super friends?

Grillfiend
Nov 29, 2015

Belgians ITT
(ie Me)

howe_sam posted:

Did anyone else start humming "Super Friend" from the musical when Kara introduced her team as the Super friends?

depends on which musical you have in mind...

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

The only musical that matters of course (in the context of the arrowverse)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7yHqQsXohI

Grillfiend
Nov 29, 2015

Belgians ITT
(ie Me)

howe_sam posted:

The only musical that matters of course (in the context of the arrowverse)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7yHqQsXohI

disappointing. When I hear "musical" and "super friends" this is what I think of:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vapc6La9u6M

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
I think the writers bit off more than they can chew this season. Supergirl has always tried to be progressive, and doing a take on the racism and xenophobia is a very Supergirl thing, but they're struggling to make Manchester a villain. Maybe a few years ago his brand of extremism would have come off as problematic but in the current climate they're just making Supergirl look outdated and impotent.

Yeah, the original comic tried the same tack of The Elite trying to suggest Superman was outdated in his methods, but when you attach the story to real world problems and politics, all I'm seeing is "Manchester Black is right" coming across on screen. They had tack on "and they stole the Crown Jewels as payment!" to try and make them seem more villainous but the show isn't really convincing me they're the bad guys.

In conclusion:

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Mortanis posted:

I think the writers bit off more than they can chew this season.

I agree, but not in how they're handling the Elite since they're safe in saying murder is bad. No, I think where they've gotten over their skis is how Kara is going to deal with the increasingly immoral actions of President Boxleitner and the DEO.

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

I went some place mum and everyday I woke up in that place and told myself I'm alive and I was.

howe_sam posted:

I agree, but not in how they're handling the Elite since they're safe in saying murder is bad. No, I think where they've gotten over their skis is how Kara is going to deal with the increasingly immoral actions of President Boxleitner and the DEO.

Also it seems the crazy the USA launched a giant death ray into space and no one has a problem with it because it was only going to be used on aliens?

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

frgildan posted:

Also it seems the crazy the USA launched a giant death ray into space and no one has a problem with it because it was only going to be used on aliens?

After *checks notes* several alien invasions, I would fully support all kinds of death rays in orbit, and I'm a crunchy hippie.

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
So Alex just HAPPENS to be carrying Supergirls exosuit on hand??

Also, after multiple alien invasions, I too would support a satellite network of death lasers.

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

I went some place mum and everyday I woke up in that place and told myself I'm alive and I was.

Burning_Monk posted:

After *checks notes* several alien invasions, I would fully support all kinds of death rays in orbit, and I'm a crunchy hippie.

Well sure after all the invasions a laser platform sounds great but one that was controlled by one world leader? That just seems crazy dangerous giving one leader all that power. Especially a leader who's office was held not that long ago by a disguised alien.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
You know who else had laser death satellites pointed at the Earth. :hmmyes: That's right, President Clark.

vseslav.botkin
Feb 18, 2007
Professor

Vietnamwees posted:

So Alex just HAPPENS to be carrying Supergirls exosuit on hand??

This doesn't seem like the biggest reach given that she knew there was a laser death satellite in the mix.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

You definitely have a problem when your "bad guys" are talking about taking down racists and fascists.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

muscles like this! posted:

You definitely have a problem when your "bad guys" are talking about taking down racists and fascists.

Yea, its a pretty bad line to walk when your plot is defending literally genocidal maniacs. Kara, saving the Chuds of Liberty is not going to change their minds. They'll just kill more aliens, and you're enabling them.

Brainy and Superman's robot acting like bitchy gay guys was great.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
It would help things if we could see even one example of a CoL turning and reevaluating their lovely worldview. Like, Supergirl's (and Superman's) purpose behind not killing is believing in the system and/or that people can change. But so far this season no one has demonstrated the capacity for change, except I guess Manchester going from just angrily beating people to downright killing. So yeah so far Supergirl is demonstrably wrong, since no one on any side shows any shade of gray and/or remorse for their actions.

Like so far this season there's just seemingly no endgame, at least not a satisfactory one*. If the show wants to show that the Elite killing is wrong, then they have to show that there's a glimmer of hope for the people they're killing. I get that we can't just have a whole episode for every loser but so far the only real villain-centric episode is the one about Lockwood himself and, well, the whole moral of that one was basically

Burning_Monk posted:

Like the original comic, the show really needs to show us why the Elite are wrong for killing literally faceless racists. And like I've said before, why the CoL are wrong when basically every threat that faces the world is alien in nature. In short,

Mortanis posted:

I think the writers bit off more than they can chew this season.

I think they passed that ever since season 2 when they were just like, gently caress it, aliens are everywhere.

*edit: oh and the obvious finale is that the president is either evil or controlled in case the Trump metaphor was somehow too subtle.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Mar 5, 2019

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

TwoPair posted:

*edit: oh and the obvious finale is that the president is either evil or controlled in case the Trump metaphor was somehow too subtle.

At least that would explain how that dude managed to become Alien President's VP.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Yea, that is injecting some interest in this season. President Sheridan is a robot, built by Lex

And it would help a lot if Supergirl rescued some CoL and they were "maybe I'm wrong...I just wanted to protect my family!", but nope. They've only been shown to be the most hateful nazis you can imagine. At best they can say that Menagerie shouldn't be stealing.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I really like the line used by the Elite.

"When they go low, she goes high; we put them six feet lower!"

I was expecting some sort of heel turn at the end by Ben, but lolnope he digs even deeper.

The Elite are still looking semi-sympathetic at least. That their purview went broader made them look even moreso. If they wanted them to make them look worse, they would've been written as going full scorched Earth killing CoL and then their loved ones based on what they saw of Lockwood's family joining in his support. And tbf, they could've been doing that with CoL too (though they sorta did with the Nia episode) where the CoL don't just target aliens, but also alien-abetting humans. Instead it sorta keeps a fine line trying to find a third way between the extremes instead, it's just sorta tripping over itself.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

Regardless of his motivations, I can’t see Manchester as anything other than a villain after he tried to blow up an entire building and everyone inside it. Even if you would go so far as to say he’s justified in assassinating the president for working with Ben Lockwood, we saw the invisible alien sneaking around in there, meaning he could easily kill one person with no collateral damage if he wanted to. Instead he made a spectacle out of killing innocents while calling the whole thing “fun”.

As TV viewers, it can be easy to overlook the deaths of nameless characters who don’t even appear onscreen, but within the context of the show all those others who were in and around the White House were real, living people, who don’t deserve to get murdered any more than the CoL’s victims did. The fact that Manchester is willing to kill them is what makes him cross the line from ruthless antihero into outright terrorist.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

The Elite started with a good idea (let's bust up fascists and Nazis) but took things too far almost immediately. They've turned themselves into murderers and thieves, and I think Manchester is the only one who actually still thinks they're the good guys at this point. Menagerie is definitely just using the moral high ground as an excuse to steal, murder, and get revenge.

If they had managed to destroy the White House they would have thrown the entire world into disorder and probably started World War 3. At that point every single death would be on their hands, and it would mostly be innocent schmucks like us dying, not the people who are actually the problem.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

TwoPair posted:

Like, Supergirl's (and Superman's) purpose behind not killing is believing in the system and/or that people can change.

Yeah, I take issue with this. If it were true, Superman would have offed Lex long ago. They don’t kill unless it’s to prevent greater death and destruction because killing is wrong. You don’t just kill someone, even if they’re a completely unrepentant dickhead.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Phylodox posted:

Yeah, I take issue with this. If it were true, Superman would have offed Lex long ago. They don’t kill unless it’s to prevent greater death and destruction because killing is wrong. You don’t just kill someone, even if they’re a completely unrepentant dickhead.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
lmao that there was this one renaissance era type of talent that decided to get into loving comic books for a few years and produced some of the greatest art the medium will ever see

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Kingdom Come is still my favorite comic of all time.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
The only member of the Trinity with blood on their hands that was unrepentant about it was Wonder Woman. Superman and Batman always try to avoid killing to a fault

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Phylodox posted:

That's what I said, or what I meant to say, I guess I didn't phrase it quite right...

But anyway, to that point, the show really needs to demonstrate why Supergirl is right, maybe by giving her a drat win instead of "well I guess everyone didn't die today but the bad guys are still out there dropping bodies." That's sort of a sweeping problem with the whole Arrowverse; once they reveal the big villain, the heroes absolutely will not triumph anywhere until the season finale. Even if they beat the villain-of-the-week (which also sometimes doesn't even happen!), they always make sure to remind us that Diaz Cicada Vandal Savage Agent Liberty has already won and our superheroes are powerless to stop them.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Mar 5, 2019

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Xelkelvos posted:

The only member of the Trinity with blood on their hands that was unrepentant about it was Wonder Woman. Superman and Batman always try to avoid killing to a fault

I always felt like there should have been a scene where Wonder Woman just kills a bunch of guys, and Supes and Bats just goes "whoa whoa, what are you doing???" because to her, its just war, and you kill in war.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
There are tons of parallels to real-world events, but you have to read them in yourself because the writers sure aren't doing it for us. I like the idea of this season but the execution is lacking.
Also, 'bout ready for a Morae to eat Agent Liberty's face. He's such a goddamned pretty boy activist.

Edit:

twistedmentat posted:

I always felt like there should have been a scene where Wonder Woman just kills a bunch of guys, and Supes and Bats just goes "whoa whoa, what are you doing???" because to her, its just war, and you kill in war.

I'm pretty sure she says exactly that at some point during Injustice Gods Among Us to justify her actions.

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Superman made me do it

Finally get to see Jon Cryer as Lex Luthor

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
If we don't get Jon Cryer in the Lexosuit I will be very disappointed.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

TwoPair posted:

That's what I said, or what I meant to say, I guess I didn't phrase it quite right...

But anyway, to that point, the show really needs to demonstrate why Supergirl is right, maybe by giving her a drat win instead of "well I guess everyone didn't die today but the bad guys are still out there dropping bodies."

Hell, I'm not sure even the show is convinced that Supergirl is right. I was kind of annoyed that they built up this whole moral dilemma about whether to stop the Elite and save the laser or attack the base, help the Elite, and destroy the laser... (how about defeat and detain the Elite, confiscate the laser, and publicly expose the program? no? ok) and then completely undercut their own dilemma by pretty much forcing her hand. Not a very tricky moral choice anymore once they're gonna blow up the White House and start WWIII.

It would have been way more interesting if Manchester would have executed his plan exactly the same, except without the bullshit White House threat. Just launch the satellite, and let it be on Kara's head. I doubt she'd be able to let a threat like that come to pass. Make Supergirl legitimately take a stand on their side.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Vietnamwees posted:

Superman made me do it

Finally get to see Jon Cryer as Lex Luthor

It's hard not to constantly hold him up against every other actor who wore the cape um... bald... but that works pretty well if he gets the support for a proper monologue outside of the trailer. If he gets the right scene around it "I was the Man of Tomorrow NOT HIM!" could be glorious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
I admire what they're trying to do with the show this season but the show just can't carry it. That Mad World sequence was embarrassing.