Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Victor Vermis posted:

I've had zero issues with their network in The Good Land.

So far from God, so close to Chicago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

lightpole posted:

Just because we can mostly ignore it doesn't make it a good thing IE Yemen and the current level of Syrian suffering. Also the risk of dragging others and unintended consequences.

Speaking of things that shouldn't be things, I'm currently finding the most interesting perspectives in two classes, both marginally connected to organizational behavior/change. Negotiations, which I didn't know was a real class and which everyone should take, and Complexity in Engineering Systems, which the Aero Dr had to beg the engineering school to allow her to teach, since engineers hate anything that isn't numbers or formulaic.

New or outside perspectives are interesting.

Systems Engineering is the poo poo. Depending on my career path, I'll either be doing grad work in either that or Project Management once I get settled into a career.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Brute Squad posted:

Systems Engineering is the poo poo. Depending on my career path, I'll either be doing grad work in either that or Project Management once I get settled into a career.

I haven't actually gotten the systems engineering classes cause our department is struggling with professors on LOA and trying to hire more. The complexity stuff is what it's all about though, much more interesting for me. I am looking for interesting general knowledge though as I am focused on management.

Ran into this paper today while looking at research topics related to it though

http://eds.b.ebscohost.com/ehost/de...3813-001&db=pdh

Look for "Reflecting on Explanatory Ability: A mechanism for detecting gaps in causal knowledge". It relates to how people draw the conclusions such as the PTSD or trumpian political leanings and examines a different way of thinking to draw better conclusions. Or something, I got distracted with prepping for a negotiations midterm and trying to finish a PCB schematic for a microelectronics lab I'm attending for fun.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Fister Roboto posted:

Yeah, ironically this is the exact same argument as welfare queens. Some people are buying lobster with their food stamps so that means we need to get rid of food stamps.

You get that SNAP is a limited amount of money per month. Yeah, you can buy steak and lobster, but you're not getting very much of it.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
The correspondent dinner is loving insanity. Michelle Wolf is just saying whatever. And :shehuck: is right there just taking it off to her right.

LMAO: "Mike Pence is what happens when Anderson Cooper isn't gay."

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Apr 30, 2018

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Brute Squad posted:

Didn't get exposed to Systems Engineering until my senior undergrad project because lol five year Aero program trying to cram all the other modern engineering poo poo you should know around the core math/fluids/control material, ended up getting my MS in SE with a Project Management certificate and never regretted it. Only downside is I scream silently whenever I run into what passes for typical SE process in government contracting and private industry nowadays.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
When I was on the stamps the state of Connecticut gave me 185/mo. If I got lobster that's almost 30 meals that I'm missing, assuming I could miracle having breakfast.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Lobster eating, Escalade driving welfare queens are one of those GOP boogeymen that they've spent decades building up and are now incapable of accepting that they don't exist.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
In several years working at a grocer, I saw someone buy steak and lobster with food stamps once. She was celebrating her last day on assistance in light of a new job.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Terrifying Effigies posted:

Didn't get exposed to Systems Engineering until my senior undergrad project because lol five year Aero program trying to cram all the other modern engineering poo poo you should know around the core math/fluids/control material, ended up getting my MS in SE with a Project Management certificate and never regretted it. Only downside is I scream silently whenever I run into what passes for typical SE process in government contracting and private industry nowadays.

I'm getting my MS in SE right now. Spending years in gov't seeing how badly the SE process can go almost seems like it should be a pre-req.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Lobster eating, Escalade driving welfare queens are one of those GOP boogeymen that they've spent decades building up and are now incapable of accepting that they don't exist.

There was a woman in Chicago in the ‘70s, a no poo poo con artist, who used all sorts of scams and grift and fake identities and the whole nine to scam the welfare system. Until she was caught and sent to prison, she stole thousands of dollars. Ronald Regan seized on this one con woman and used her behavior to paint with the broadest of brush over every welfare recipient. One case of massive fraud used to defame the whole system.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_...an_villain.html

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Fallom posted:

I'm getting my MS in SE right now. Spending years in gov't seeing how badly the SE process can go almost seems like it should be a pre-req.

Another MS in SE here. The private sector companies I now work with do a WAY better job of this than the government ever did.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

davecrazy posted:

There was a woman in Chicago in the ‘70s, a no poo poo con artist, who used all sorts of scams and grift and fake identities and the whole nine to scam the welfare system. Until she was caught and sent to prison, she stole thousands of dollars. Ronald Regan seized on this one con woman and used her behavior to paint with the broadest of brush over every welfare recipient. One case of massive fraud used to defame the whole system.

This got Dollop'd, and it's definitely worth a listen.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

davecrazy posted:

It's the most depressing poo poo in american domestic policy aside from all the other depressing poo poo

e: I do not have the goddamn fortitude to even dare to read those comments, because... internet comments.

Milo and POTUS fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Apr 30, 2018

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Torrannor posted:

What are we even talking about? What's a conventional war between Iran and Israel? Israel bombing Iran? Because it's hard to see how either side would get ground troops to the other. Iranians would be blown to bits by Israeli (and US) air forces. And Israelis would lose a good number of troops just trying to get through Syria and Iraq to reach the Iranian borders. They would then be facing the nightmare task of trying to conquer the Iranian plateau and subjugating 80 million Iranians.

Americans don't need maps for war, scrub. :colbert:

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009
Don't get high on the Jesus Juice
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...m=.5f894bf9797b

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Trump tweeted that the Korean peace summit should be held at the DMZ.

Replies are all about how he should get the Nobel Peace Prize.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

FrozenVent posted:

Trump tweeted that the Korean peace summit should be held at the DMZ.

Replies are all about how he should get the Nobel Peace Prize.

Thanks to Obama, doesn't he have to bomb a nobel peace prize winner first?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Torrannor posted:

What are we even talking about? What's a conventional war between Iran and Israel? Israel bombing Iran? Because it's hard to see how either side would get ground troops to the other. Iranians would be blown to bits by Israeli (and US) air forces. And Israelis would lose a good number of troops just trying to get through Syria and Iraq to reach the Iranian borders. They would then be facing the nightmare task of trying to conquer the Iranian plateau and subjugating 80 million Iranians.

I don't see Israel having a difficult time punching through Syria. Iraq would be far more challenging given the fact that the only realistic path would be through Kurdistan, and I'm not sure Turkey would be down with the Kurds allowing the Israelis through.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

quote:

They also confronted the individual who had caused the panic. According to CBS2 News, 28-year-old Michael Webber is a minister with Truth and Triumph Ministries. He told both the station and police he was preaching at the end of the movie but did not mean to cause a panic. Webber told the station he had his hands in the air so the crowd could see he was unarmed.

“The lights did not turn up for quite a few minutes, and so I really couldn’t see anyone’s reaction except those of the people just right around me,” he told the station. “It’s extremely unfortunate that anyone sustained injuries because of this. Again, I was unarmed.”

Webber told police he has done this at other movie showings.

Literally shouting God in crowded theaters. What a special boy.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
It's also insanely questionable how a country would be able to sustain force projection if they've never had wars outside of their immediate borders. Going all the way to Iran is not the same as occupying and bombing poo poo in Lebanon/Syria/Egypt.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Vasudus posted:

It's also insanely questionable how a country would be able to sustain force projection if they've never had wars outside of their immediate borders. Going all the way to Iran is not the same as occupying and bombing poo poo in Lebanon/Syria/Egypt.

who do you think is going to be handling all that

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Well yeah.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
I watched the 2018 correspondent's dinner jokes, and then I found the 2011 one. Trump is in the crowd, some jokes are made about him, and he's not liking it one bit.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Dance Officer posted:

I watched the 2018 correspondent's dinner jokes, and then I found the 2011 one. Trump is in the crowd, some jokes are made about him, and he's not liking it one bit.

The 2011 WHCD and Obama’s 15 minutes making GBS threads on Trump are specifically what caused him to run for president. He registered MAGA and a few other things almost immediately after.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

Mr. Nice! posted:

The 2011 WHCD and Obama’s 15 minutes making GBS threads on Trump are specifically what caused him to run for president. He registered MAGA and a few other things almost immediately after.

He wanted to become president so he would be the sole focus of the jokes during the correspondent's dinner?

the mind boggles

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
It's all Obummer's fault. :(

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
I'm inclined to agree that Wolf's bit at the WHCD was a bit inappropriate, but that's just her bread and butter right there. If you book her and are not expecting that then you done hosed up.

Inappropriate or not that poo poo was funny.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
It was no more inappropriate than Colbert’s was. And Colbert’s was probably the best one I’ve seen.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Dance Officer posted:

He wanted to become president so he would be the sole focus of the jokes during the correspondent's dinner?

the mind boggles

He wanted to become president to spite Obama for making GBS threads on him. It became his personal mission to undo everything Obama had ever done at that point. Why do you think he had hookers piss on the bed the Obamas slept in?

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Just a reminder that MilDog Month starts tomorrow!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
From the Army Times:

https://www.armytimes.com/news/2018...c_ILm1.facebook

Apparently, a couple Fundamentalist Christian Chaplains have gotten in at the 101st and promptly started dismantling programs for Jewish soldiers like organized Passover, pressuring the unpaid volunteers to resign. When the volunteers refused, the Chaplains dismissed them outright.

The MRFF filed for an investigation and apparently its gotten serious.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Roseanne Barr Wants to Run for Prime Minister of Israel: 'If God Calls Me, I'll Go'
http://people.com/tv/roseanne-barr-wants-run-prime-minister-israel/

Yet another person I'm probably mistaking as catholic.

E: she's jewish. Wouldn't have connected those dots.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl

psydude posted:

I don't see Israel having a difficult time punching through Syria. Iraq would be far more challenging given the fact that the only realistic path would be through Kurdistan, and I'm not sure Turkey would be down with the Kurds allowing the Israelis through.

The logistics of supplying an armed force through those areas are mind boggling. Yeah the US would help but no one seriously believes Israel would want to launch an invasion of Iran, surely?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Roseanne Barr Wants to Run for Prime Minister of Israel: 'If God Calls Me, I'll Go'

"Just please ignore my in-bad-taste Hitler/Holocaust gingerbread men cosplay, satirical or not."

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

CommieGIR posted:

From the Army Times:

https://www.armytimes.com/news/2018...c_ILm1.facebook

Apparently, a couple Fundamentalist Christian Chaplains have gotten in at the 101st and promptly started dismantling programs for Jewish soldiers like organized Passover, pressuring the unpaid volunteers to resign. When the volunteers refused, the Chaplains dismissed them outright.

The MRFF filed for an investigation and apparently its gotten serious.

Yeah, that’s pretty bad.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

E: she's jewish. Wouldn't have connected those dots.

Season 11 of Rosanne: The Connors move to Tel Aviv!

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
The past 20 years has all been stuff written by Rosanne since John died of a heart attack.

Her writing has been erratic as gently caress lately though. She's got to be hosed up on something if the audience is expected to believe that millions of people voted for noted life long retard Donald J Trump president

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

https://twitter.com/CBCPolitics/status/990988967779725312

:lol: if Amazon opens their new HQ in Toronto.

EDIT: Looks like they're just announcing a new tech hub.

Handsome Ralph fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Apr 30, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Atlanta was supposedly on the short list....before our Lieutenant Governor and our legislature decided to start going pants on head Fundamentalist Christian again and probably ruined the deal and then whine about NRA/Delta deals.

• Locked thread