Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which of these pink video game heroes is best
This poll is closed.
Kirby 126 71.59%
Jigglypuff 34 19.32%
Clefairy 16 9.09%
Total: 176 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Genuinely sounds like they should probably go through with the divorce

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
it takes two is one of if not the most tonally bizarre game i've ever seen

a soft and colorful co-op platformer about an already-uncomfortable subject that periodically turns into a coen brothers-esque black comedy

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

PunkBoy posted:

Also note

The doll is sentient and is begging for its life as the parents essentially torture it to death. It's genuinely uncomfortable to watch.

yeah that was the worst part of the game so far. i legit didn't want to watch it happen.

in short, the characters are awful, and not in a funny or entertaining way.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
even the basic conceit of the game is just off. reconciling a divorced relationship is already a thorny topic and they're constantly encouraged to do so by a wily anthropomorphized book who speaks in an accent that vacillates between "racist spanish" and "racist french." "JUU HAVE TO FIX YOU RE-LAY-SHON-SHIIIIP!" he joyously proclaims, shortly after the spoilered scene

the first boss fight is a talking vacuum cleaner that goes from standard "grr i'm gonna suck you up" banter to frantically begging for mercy as you clamp its suction tubes over its own googly cartoon eyeballs

it's like you took a Don't Hug Me I'm Scared skit and stretched it across twenty hours of gameplay

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
wow I wasn't sold on "your friend does half the work, slower and worse than you could alone: the game" but I'm interested in brutally murdering a vacuum cleaner and being bad parents in a lovely relationship.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

tithin posted:

sell me on it, what's the go

You and up to three other chefs have to make "simple" recipes (sushi, hamburgers, pasta) to serve to as many customers as possible until time runs out. There is typically a cooperative wrinkle involved, such as: the beef is on your side of the stage, but the skillet is on the other side, and a wall prevents passage (so you have to throw the beef to the cooker who hands it back to you to plate). Or, there is a platform that one of you has to move while the other transports food. etc etc.

It's got a steep learning curve and you and your partners actually do have to coordinate to get the higher star ranks on the levels, but it's a really cute game and it can be done (me and my relatively-non-gamer partner managed to 3 star all or most of the levels in the game).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcVISRmANIo

sounds better than It Takes Two at least

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
also why do movies and games always assume the kid is sad about the divorce. Maybe I was just too young but I never cared they divorced and they both seemed to really like me so I was good either way. It's actually pretty weird and gross to imagine my mom and dad together, hell I can't even imagine what they would have a conversation or make small talk about. Imo they shouldn't have ever gotten married but circumstantially the alternatives were either my mom try to run away and steal me, my mom accept dad's family offer to essentially buy me off her and they'll raise me, or get married and raise kid together apparently. i made it a point to not get anyone pregnant when I was 17 but both my parents are better off now than I'll ever be so dang maybe I blew it

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I have to imagine it's far more common for kids to be sad about it, I don't think many kids are happy their parents are splitting up. I was absolutely devastated when my mom and dad told me they were getting divorced, like instantly burst into tears, and was a wreck for a very long time afterwards because I didn't get to see my dad every day like normal.

Of course I'm 34 years old now and I can't even imagine them ever being together so it was all for the best :v:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

You just gotta hope you were the reason for their divorce and they split up long before you were old enough to even remember it. :waycool:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I was the reason for my parents divorce, they liked to make sure I knew it. :kiddo:

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
My parents divorced because my dad got another Woman pregnant, at least I knew I wasn’t to blame.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Progamer tip for divorcing parents: Tell the kid about all the cool new families and extra sets of christmas presents they will be getting as y'all collect new step-moms and step-dads + the bonus step-families! 4-5x or more christmas gift potential!*

* if the kid successfully endears themselves to a ex-step-family before the ex-ing, but probably don't tell the kid this one from the start.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
the true downside to divorce are getting step-family gifts from people who don't really know you and like, nobody ever wanted to collect those chevron cars but after a dozen of them as gifts over the years youre either a collector of them or you put them in your sisters closet and forget about em

edit: They never made a videogame of those cars. They made Cars videogames, but Cars only looks the way it does because they couldn't put the eyes in the normal place since Techron cars already did it.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 18:39 on May 29, 2021

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Proer protip don't have kids so you can avoid the conversation in the first place

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I don't know how common it is but I know I was only about 3 or 4 years-old when the parents got divorced and my mother got full custody with my father having some visitation. I didn't really understand what divorce was at the time and it didn't really set in until my mother remarried and I suddenly had a bunch of step-family.

For me the biggest concerns were less being sad about them not being together and more that I was afraid that a divorce meant that I was being split up as well, that I wouldn't have either of them anymore and would have to survive on my own. My other fear was mainly from how my mother reacted to my relationship with my father because my father is objectively a terrible person but I was a little kid so of course I loved him and would give him hugs during visitation and accept gifts on my birthday and be excited about them, all the while my mother would be incredibly angry with me because she said I'm supposed to hate him and that if all it takes to get my love is some hot wheels cars then she can just give up custody and I can go live with him and his roaches. I wasn't necessarily sad about them breaking up and divorcing so much as I was sad about having to go for visitation and then being punished for enjoying said visitation because I was too young to understand the gravity of the things my father had done to our family.

Lord knows there was no fixing that relationship.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
That's a lot for a kid to bear, kids is literally children and ain't know nothing, rude to assign them such agency in that stuff. I was split 6 months between both parents until I got to middle school and I wanted to stop switching schools every half a year so I was asked to "choose" who I wanted to live with primarily and visit the other in summer and holidays, so my mom basically just had the parental rights or agreement that apparently always existed enforced and I lived w/ her and my stepdad mostly but AFAIK dad never paid child support he was supposed to in either arrangement

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

As much as I complain about some of the incomprehensible nonsense in some of the games I like, like all the moon poo poo in FF9 or FFX's stuff with Sin/Zanarkand, I would take those any day over literally any Western game which tries to handle any "serious" topic. Feels like every one of these award harvesters are just a continual train of embarrassment

Electromax
May 6, 2007

FirstAidKite posted:

How are you making them? Recreating by hand or is it messing with ripped files? Either way is impressive.

e: also, idk if this is an issue with tomb raider games or not but does the map geometry ever intersect with itself in a way that doesn't make sense? If so, how do you handle that? Just make a separate map at the breaking point?

https://popov72.github.io/TRN2/
This guy built a TR level viewer because the game format has been pretty well disassembled. He made it open-source so I modified a local fork to display isometric and stitching screenshots etc. from there.

I found one place so far in TR1 where that happens, the blue #1 on this map: https://vgmaps.com/Atlas/PSX/TombRaider-TombOfTihocan.png
The secret room loads when you're in the room above it, but would intersect with the "sunken steps" room when both are loaded (like in the level viewer). In this case the overlap is small enough I could just ignore it:
https://twitter.com/hatersgonnahate/status/1392162305492783106
Hopefully it doesn't happen much in 2 or 3 because I don't have a way of untangling/rendering the rooms separately at the moment so it would just be stuck like that.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

I was heartbroken when my dad told me they were getting divorced because I had always hoped he and mom would work things out. Their marriage was not amicable.

Honestly though, our lives have only improved since he left. I don't even think about him anymore unless someone brings him up.

Also looking at my in laws, these are 2 people who never really had a life together. Dad was always at work or out of state/country for the military and mom had her own life. Now both are retired and they don't even spend time together except twice a day to eat and the only reason they aren't divorced is stubbornness and inertia.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
5D space, a perennial hazard of portal-based rendering

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

As much as I complain about some of the incomprehensible nonsense in some of the games I like, like all the moon poo poo in FF9 or FFX's stuff with Sin/Zanarkand, I would take those any day over literally any Western game which tries to handle any "serious" topic. Feels like every one of these award harvesters are just a continual train of embarrassment

What's the moon poo poo in FF9? The stuff with Terra?

Electromax posted:

I found one place so far in TR1 where that happens, the blue #1 on this map: https://vgmaps.com/Atlas/PSX/TombRaider-TombOfTihocan.png
The secret room loads when you're in the room above it, but would intersect with the "sunken steps" room when both are loaded (like in the level viewer). In this case the overlap is small enough I could just ignore it:
https://twitter.com/hatersgonnahate/status/1392162305492783106
Hopefully it doesn't happen much in 2 or 3 because I don't have a way of untangling/rendering the rooms separately at the moment so it would just be stuck like that.

That's pretty cool, I hope you're having fun with it :) And agreed, hopefully there aren't too many more cases of impossible geometry unless the game itself is specifically trying to call attention to it. I can't remember if there are any tomb raider games that purposefully feature impossible geometry as an aesthetic choice.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

FirstAidKite posted:

What's the moon poo poo in FF9? The stuff with Terra?

Yeah, everything involving Terra and Garland and even the final boss

A fair number of FF games feel like they're trying to emulate the FF1 twist which results in the final few hours just being insane and unintelligible. FF9 and Terra, FF8's whole timestream stuff, FFX's logistics of Zanarkand and The Dream

RazzleDazzleHour fucked around with this message at 19:23 on May 29, 2021

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
What was FF1's twist? I remember it being pretty straightforward, get some crystals fight the monsters.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Khanstant posted:

What was FF1's twist? I remember it being pretty straightforward, get some crystals fight the monsters.

The whole thing was a time loop set up by the antagonist.

I cant remember the specifics but someone will.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Khanstant posted:

Chaos is Garland

Also you go back in time

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I just groogled it and yeah I totally forgot the time-loop thing, nice try Garland. Never mess with no group of orb havers.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

edit: nvm

exquisite tea fucked around with this message at 19:52 on May 29, 2021

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

FF1's twist is fun and fine because the rest of the game is so basic. Later games spend hours setting up characters and motivations and overarching themes and then they throw in a 13 Sentinels twist. FFX's is particularly funny because it's so tacked-on

exquisite tea posted:

Personally, I think viewing a multibillion dollar franchise and one of the most recognizable game series on earth as somehow existing on some higher plane apart from the same global market pressures as "western award harvesters," whatever that means, is pretty naive.

I have no idea what this means

RazzleDazzleHour fucked around with this message at 19:48 on May 29, 2021

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I think I misread your post! Sorry.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

new pokemon snap can be a bit tricky sometimes but, it is still good

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Venusaur always looks so pissed

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I’m like 80% of the way towards buying Nocturne but I have so many other games i need to play... this is the worst part of being a gamer, and it’s the part They don’t tell you about...

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

My deadline for returning NieR is coming up, I'm about to finish Route B.

My original plan was to squeeze in Nocturne before Ratchet and Clank but it's looking unlikely

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
I also recommend Overcooked 1 and 2.

You always have to communicate with your teammate and help each other out. The obstacles stay pretty varied. And the art style and music is charming.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

Arrrthritis posted:

My wife and I were pretty big fans of the Trials of Mana remaster, so we'll probably be picking that up. Any advice you want to give to someone who hasn't played Legend of Mana before?

Sorry it took me so long to get back to this, it was a long night.

First time going into Legend of Mana the biggest advice I can give is to not worry too much about missing things and just enjoy whatever is happening. You sort of create the world map as you play the game and the way that you create it and what order you do things in will determine what storylines and quests you see and going in blind you are definitely going to miss things. But the world is beautiful and bizarre and the music is fantastic, so don't sweat it too much. It's a game that lends itself to multiple playthroughs, much like Trials of Mana, so enjoy your first ride and maybe use a guide on subsequent plays to see everything you missed. There are a ton of optional systems in the game that get rolled out at different times, monster taming and golem crafting, spell building and weapon forging, and they're all incredibly deep and not explained super well, but also insanely unnecessary as the game isn't that hard, so don't worry too much about min-maxing them and just do whatever you think is cool, and then, again, read a guide later and see that if you put forge 117 different items into a sword in a precise order you can beat the final boss in half an a press or whatever.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

legend of mana is secretly a SaGa game

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

I still have Saga Scarlet Grace I have yet to boot up.

Also, this week's curry featured apples, potato and steak with some chickpeas, corn and tomatoes on the side since the wife doesn't like those. Some bread and butter and it's a good Saturday dinner.

Bad Video Games fucked around with this message at 21:50 on May 29, 2021

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Why’s the G capitalized?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

it's the first letter in the word Grace

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames