Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Magni posted:

High-damage pistols in Act 2 I found are the inferno pistol in the crashed Black Ship and the Retobi-Pattern plasma pistol, which you can get from a vendor or on Kiava Gamma. Or Drukhari blast pistols, those hit anything in a straight single-tile line. Also there's two higher damage 2-hand meltaguns, one on Kiava Gamma and one from the Drusian vendor.

The Inferno pistol from the BS is strictly worse than the heretic one, and yeah, the plasma pistol is nice but I'd have to switch proficiencies which, ugh. The eldar/deldar melta pistols are considered single shots I believe (at least those I found were), so the AoE talents don't work with those, much to my chagrin. Finally, I don't have enough poo poo to give to the Drusians to climb their tree that high just for the one gun - I'm already deep into the pirates for a number of reasons, the rest into the Explorers for Pasqal.

Guess I'll just have to find Kiava Gamma. Meantime the pirates gave me an improved Foehammer and a Power Axe, which is a decent enough combo for general purpose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Jack Trades posted:

I'm like 2/3rds through Act 2, I got 18 Plasteel and nothing to use it on. There was one 5 Plasteel contract and that's it.

Push comes to shove, you can always trek back to those planets and pick the extractors back up. It's free (although don't pick up the one you need to fulfill the contract or you'll lose the PF)

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Kobal2 posted:

Push comes to shove, you can always trek back to those planets and pick the extractors back up. It's free (although don't pick up the one you need to fulfill the contract or you'll lose the PF)

YOU CAN DO THAT?!

Well, good to know.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I'm mostly done with Act 2 and I just found out there are merchant contracts..

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
I didn't find those until act 4

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Antifa Spacemarine posted:

I can't lez out with Argenta? This is very concerning...

The romance options are:

Cassia (straight)
Heinrix (straight)
Jae (bisexual)
Yrliet (bisexual)
Marazhai (bisexual)

Everyone else is either celibate or already spoken for and not willing to share.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

ChrisBTY posted:

So I just started playing this in earnest a few days ago. I'm about 6 hours in.
As somebody who only has piecemeal knowledge of 40k the first thing to strike me was how inauspicious a title like "Rogue Trader" is compared to the level of authority it wields.
I was expecting something more akin in scope to Han Solo, not...whatever pop culture reference is applicable to the governor of a spacefaring city-state.

The name goes way back to 1987. It was the subtitle of the first 40K edition. The term isn't going to change at this point though yeah it's goofy.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

why would you run away you're the rogue trader

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Warhammer has a lot of stuff with really dumb names like Lionel Johnson the Space Marine and Margaret Thatcher the Ork Warboss.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
What do skill numbers even do in space combat? Every post has an associated skill but there's seemingly nothing indicating what having higher skill does.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I did not expect this game to have a quest ripped straight from Postal 2 but I guess it's fitting.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador

The Lone Badger posted:

Does Idira have the ability that gives her +1 psy rating every time someone uses a Heroic? Her Scream damage can get disgusting that way (Scream is the best way to hurt this boss).

Give Argenta a longlas and kill the sniper first-up. Officer buffs help with this.

Remember that the boss has easy to manage aggro rules (read his description). Move Move Move! can help to get his target out of the way just before his turn.

Finally got the win on attempt #9 after successfully sniping the sniper. Y'all know why sometimes it just doesn't display a hit chance for ranged attacks? It's pretty aggravating. Also why it inconsistently shows which enemies will be in line of sight at a movement destination? Those are my biggest gripes with the game right now aside from the one fight we've been discussing. Just about every other fight has been a cakewalk.

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

I noticed a couple things that seemed like neat easter egg/references to classic CRPGs:

In chapter 4 I got strong Fallout 2 Arroyo vibes from the dead collector ship in Pasqual's companion quest. Specifically the computer screens lit from within by candles, the "shaman" who talks to the computer, and the general vibe of following the old procedures for technology without knowing the context. One really cool thing about that quest that got me was the tribe chief communicating *correctly* in binary with Pasqual.

Maybe the first one is reaching a bit, but in chapter 5 it felt like the "Lord Captains from alternate realities" was a direct reference to the encounter with the previous incarnations in the Fortress of Regrets in PS:T. Even the placement of the event right before the final boss makes it seem quite intentional, and there is a striking similarity to the personalities of the Lord Captains with the PS:T previous incarnations. Glorious Rogue Trader -> Practical Incarnation, Heretical Rogue Trader -> Evil Incarnation, Merciful Rogue Trader -> Good Incarnation. I do wonder if this event changes based on the alignment of the PC as I was dogmatic. If you're heretical does the heretical RT get replaced with a dogmatic one?

It's crazy how much I enjoyed this game despite the bugs. I also managed to finish it, which I have not done with either of Owlcat's previous games even though I enjoyed them quite a bit as well. It probably came down to the difficulty, which is an order of magnitude easier than the Pathfinder games. Stacking buffs/debuffs are OP. The chapter 3 boss drops a sword that gives stacking STR/BS/WS/AGI debuffs to anything it hits *and gives the wielder stacking buffs of the same*. Completely absurd on a melee assassin. Was hitting the final boss for 850 dmg x8 per turn with my melee/psyker/assassin PC.

GoodluckJonathan fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Dec 20, 2023

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Eschatos posted:

Finally got the win on attempt #9 after successfully sniping the sniper. Y'all know why sometimes it just doesn't display a hit chance for ranged attacks? It's pretty aggravating. Also why it inconsistently shows which enemies will be in line of sight at a movement destination? Those are my biggest gripes with the game right now aside from the one fight we've been discussing. Just about every other fight has been a cakewalk.

this didnt happen to me until chapter 3 where it permanently broke and hit chances just stopped displaying entirely.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

So if I have Cassia specced into damage at the moment, would it make sense to make her a Master Tactician or is Grand Strategist just better so I can focus on her Navigator stuff?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Nephthys posted:

So if I have Cassia specced into damage at the moment, would it make sense to make her a Master Tactician or is Grand Strategist just better so I can focus on her Navigator stuff?

I made her a Master Tactician and have no regrets. Then again, I think that Grand Strategist is kind of a poo poo archetype.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
How crunchy is character building in this? I've got a massive pile of games that came out recently to play but also have 2 weeks off coming up so I might pick this up.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Sloober posted:

this didnt happen to me until chapter 3 where it permanently broke and hit chances just stopped displaying entirely.

Quicksave/load fixes this for me generally. Its semi common sadly, prob a half dozen times in my run.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

Jack Trades posted:

What's with Plasteel being loving EVERYWHERE and used for nothing at all? Is that an Owlcat trap to make me waste my mining outposts?

You do end up needing a bunch of it for various colony projects, but generally speaking you shouldn't be mining the small (under 4 output) deposits of just about anything. Adamantine is rare enough that you probably will end up putting down extractors on small deposits.

Also, I have a UI peeve - you can't tell which systems are producing what from a mouseover. You can't even tell if you have a mine set up without going to a planet, as far as I can tell.

Nephthys posted:

Master Tactician will give her a self-buff for 0 AP that can increase a single shot's damage by up to about 400%. Grand Strategist is handy on one character, and if Cass is your only officer and you're having her buff an arch-militant or other damage dealer it's worth making her one but having the ability to light off a big fuckin' single shot on a boss is nice.

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Dec 20, 2023

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Deki posted:

How crunchy is character building in this? I've got a massive pile of games that came out recently to play but also have 2 weeks off coming up so I might pick this up.

It's kinda both very crunchy and not at the same time- There's a ton of options, but a large number of them are kinda pointless or are things you won't ever notice in practice, while a smaller number are laughably good. There's a lot of interconnected synergy possibilities between classes and room to build fun stuff if you consciously choose to avoid the one most broken method of playing, but the temptation will always be there to just go "Heavy bolter goes brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr" instead of setting up 5 different kinds of chains of buffs/debuffs/interactions.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

AnEdgelord posted:

I expect that we will get the Ork dlc at some point because the lack of Orks is GLARING since they are supposed to absolutely infest the galaxy and there are known Ork strongholds in the Koronus Expanse TTRPG setting. It might even possibly be tied in with an Ork companion since the TTRPG did actually have rules for Orks and an Ork Freeboota/Blood Axe hanging around a Rogue Trader is only slightly more unlikely than an Eldar Ranger hanging around a Rogue Trader.

:goonsay: Well Ackshually, it's a lot more likely for an Ork Freeboota to hang around a Rogue Trader than an Eldar Ranger because Ork Freebootas are mercenaries and thus are very easy to have hanging around with you so long as you pay them and get them into some fighting. Plus, they're pretty comfortable fitting into a command structure where the Rogue Trader is their boss.

Eldar are a lot trickier because it's usually an alliance of convenience and not only do they play their cards close to their chest, they typically hold the upper hand in said arrangement and they have a nasty tendency to see themselves as being above a mon-keigh even if they should be a Rogue Trader.

That aside, I really appreciate that you advance on the Path of Yrliet by not interacting with her in a way that would send you straight to horny jail.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Yeah I def like the Yrilet companion quest. Granted it bugged out on me Act 4 on jungle planet but still, very cool take on the concept

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired
The resource extraction feels extremely superfluous and undercooked after a while tbh, aside from not being very interesting it's not even your biggest source of material income, except for those scant few planets that have like 17 promethium on them or something. At least they're not making you probe planets though.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

I do wonder what the 5 archetypes they’ll be adding in the second DLC will be. Presumably one base and an every combination of advanced with that base, but what’s left? Especially as it has to fit with an Arbites concept. A (close)ranged tank designed around pistols and shotguns?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Whoa its 5 planned?

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Clerical Terrors posted:

The resource extraction feels extremely superfluous and undercooked after a while tbh, aside from not being very interesting it's not even your biggest source of material income, except for those scant few planets that have like 17 promethium on them or something. At least they're not making you probe planets though.

Resource extraction is more about hunting for rarer resources you can't get easily from your network, like xenotech and adamantium. You only really need to spend it on common things like plasteel in the beginning.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

CottonWolf posted:

I do wonder what the 5 archetypes they’ll be adding in the second DLC will be. Presumably one base and an every combination of advanced with that base, but what’s left? Especially as it has to fit with an Arbites concept. A (close)ranged tank designed around pistols and shotguns?

Yeah shotguns, pistols and shields but also a pet class for the Arbites surely? With a cyber dog.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Your move, heretic

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador

Sloober posted:

It usually still displays it. It seems like it's usually missing on long range shots, which I figured might be meant as a 0% hit chance indicator, except that I am still landing hits sometimes.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

"Are women the heresy?"

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Oh my god, game, you're loving killing me.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Is it possible to catch (Act 4 spoiler)The genestealer cult patriarch on Dargonus? I used the Persuade option because it was my highest chance of success, and succeeded but at the end still found the chrysalis for it and no sign of the actual thing. Does going the psychic attack route work better?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Lol the bolter that auto hits

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Jack Trades posted:

Oh my god, game, you're loving killing me.

Vigdis, I have successfully gotten laid. Inform the men.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

Nephthys posted:

Grand strategist going first always except for Seize the initiative is always handy and Cassia has the bonus that she can gather enemies in the front zone so they can be hurt more by her or whoever is in charge of mowing. You can afford a couple talent pics from it too

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

I'm trying to work out if Argenta's quest is stuck. I've gone to Footfall, killed everyone in the Shadow Quarter but it's still sitting in my log telling me to I need to go find the heretics den. I did, they're all dead.

I also need to work out how guns work in this. Got Jae with her Splinter Pistol and on barrage is says it'll do a little damage then toxin people, cool. What is actually does is obliterate everyone infront of her.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Deki posted:

It feels complicated and also not complicated at the same time. I think the first part mostly comes down to how bad the UI is. But also because there's a buttload of options shoved in your face from the getgo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Aramoro posted:

I'm trying to work out if Argenta's quest is stuck. I've gone to Footfall, killed everyone in the Shadow Quarter but it's still sitting in my log telling me to I need to go find the heretics den. I did, they're all dead.

I also need to work out how guns work in this. Got Jae with her Splinter Pistol and on barrage is says it'll do a little damage then toxin people, cool. What is actually does is obliterate everyone infront of her.

Did you get a conversation after you killed the heretics in the den? I got it and then she wanted to talk more on the ship. Just to check though, there are two areas to clear out for sidequests in that zone, there's the gang the governer dude complains about and then the chaos cultists, the Argenta one is that, it's a cult summoning a little daemon, if you killed it and didn't get a conversation after then yeah that's broken.