Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Weatherman posted:

he was defensive both in tone (that kind of rising tone like a child being scolded) and attitude.

Weatherman posted:

how over the last 30 years Kiwi have lost all respect for the quote sacrifice that people who go into politics make and he hopes it doesn't continue to degrade.

Spyderizer posted:

There was an incident in the Key government where Maggie Barry was being asked a pointed question and she asked who the person voted for. She was reminded that she's meant to be representing all her constituents, not just the ones that voted for her.

I believe this is a fundamental problem with democracy being a popularity contest and the amount of energy a career politician needs to devote to trying to amass that popularity. Most of them act like they have no interest in the people they are supposed to represent because votes are binary that either gave them a job, or didn't. I mean, if you found out that half your team at work actively tried to make sure you didn't get a promotion would you do them any favours or engage with them?

Also, it many cases (granted not all) it's a "skill issue". If you have to spend your life amassing power and influence to get to your eventual goal of being elected, have you been practising the skills you actually need to be in that role? Some of these people are making decisions that can affect the wellfare of hundres of thousands, potentially millions of people but how many of them have put in their "ten thousand hours" in any sort of equivilant role or responsibility?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

If i had a dollar for every story I've heard about Maggie Barry being a very unpleasant person I could buy a fairly fancy pint

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.
I got interviewed on Maggie Barrie's radio show once about a burglary that happened to me. The whole time she was trying to get me to admit to wanting vengence or punishment and I was like "well the burglar stole deodorant so he probably really needed it" lol

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

klen dool posted:

I got interviewed on Maggie Barrie's radio show once about a burglary that happened to me. The whole time she was trying to get me to admit to wanting vengence or punishment and I was like "well the burglar stole deodorant so he probably really needed it" lol

Victim of a clever all-woman crime ring stealing cans of lynx to throw the cops off the scent

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

Xik posted:

Some of these people are making decisions that can affect the wellfare of hundres of thousands, potentially millions of people but how many of them have put in their "ten thousand hours" in any sort of equivilant role or responsibility?

People want politicians to have "experience" but exactly what that experience is is much harder to define. Do we want them to have political experience? Maybe by starting at council level? Then they're a "lifetime politician" who's never "worked in the real world". Background in policy, probably working for a party or at a Ministry? Ugh, pointless bureaucrat who's also never "worked in the real world". Business background? Well, everyone here has an opinion on them!

Exactly to your point, what is an equivilant role or responsibility?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Leading a revolutionary cadre

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

The skills that make someone a good electorate MP are different from most of the other things that make people good politicians, like being a good communicator, knowing how to write/read/understand legislation, media skills, understanding systems/sector/industry, etc.

Electorate MPs farm out most advocacy poo poo to their admin person though, so being a good advocate is pretty much bottom of the pile in terms of beneficial skills.

Content to Hover
Sep 11, 2009
Experience is impacted by ethos. Dr Shane Reti is almost definitely aware of the negative health impacts of the coalition policies he is the face of. The most charitable interpretation of his actions is that he believes the comprise for neoliberalism is the greater good.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

i just assume that hes got a cushy tobacco industry seat waiting for him when hes ready to retire

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Auckland council has put out the 10 year plan for consultation and it has some bullshit in it:

https://akhaveyoursay.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/hub-page/long-term-plan-2024-2034

If you've got any time, the quick option is to go and just vote for the "pay more get more" option of the three rates proposals.

City Vision are putting together a submission guide if you want to wait and do a more informed submission and don't want to wade through the 200-page document.

IMO the other key submission points (other than the above) are:

- tell Wayne to go gently caress himself with his asset sales/slush fund plans.
(They want to sell the port and the airport and put the money into an investment fund, which future councils will simply treat as a rates subsidy until it's all drained and oops, now the council has no fuckin assets and a massive rates deficit. It's just privatising the assets by stealth.)
- say yes to the fairer funding plans
(allocates funding based on population, deprivation and land area of the local board. Currently local boards get funding based on the assets they own, so somewhere like Waitematā with four swimming pools, four libraries [I think] etc etc gets more funding than Puketāpapa with their 2 swimming pools and 2 libraries)
- say yes to all the public transport options, and building more cycle ways. One of the option is to build fewer cycleways.
- say yes to transferring Bledisloe wharf from the ports to the council for public purposes ASAP

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

quote:

Our central proposal includes rates increases for the average value residential property of:

• 7.5 % in year one
• 3.5 % in year two
• 8 % in year three
• no more than 3.5 % a year after that.
But there are alternatives. We could do more or do less than what’s in our central proposal and we are asking Aucklanders for your views on this.

Opening with this on the email is going make people foam at the mouths. Or maybe that's the point? "Encourage" people to submit feedback.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

voiceless anal fricative posted:

- say yes to transferring Bledisloe wharf from the ports to the council for public purposes ASAP[/b]

Why?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

sorry but i already responded telling him to hike rates and make business pay more in rates and also just stop paying for roads entirely.
and not to bother electrifying the ferries if he can't be bothered making them run on time.

also i told them not to bother transferring the wharves for public spaces because they were supposed to turn queen's wharf into a public space after the world cup and their interpretation of that has been a structure that is on paper temporary to bypass consents, tarmac for ports of auckland to transit their cruise passengers across, and a suite of ferry docks that chokepoint passengers into single file by design. i did tell him not to loving sell though.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Xik posted:

Opening with this on the email is going make people foam at the mouths. Or maybe that's the point? "Encourage" people to submit feedback.
the best part is how the rates are designed to drop back down to 3.5% increase in the election year :discourse:

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Ghostlight posted:

the best part is how the rates are designed to drop back down to 3.5% increase in the election year :discourse:

Meanwhile Christchurch is looking at rates rises of 14-15% (and 24% from the regional council).

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
They're proposing atleast 18.6% rise down here in Dunedin.

Confusedslight fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Mar 5, 2024

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014
Yeah i expect that >10% is going to be more like the norm across the country.
That said i think that Christchurch might end up under 10% if it weren't for that stadium...

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
I don't know if this is the right place but if someone can link me a discord invite to the nz one that would be much appreciated!

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010

Lobsterpillar posted:

Meanwhile Christchurch is looking at rates rises of 14-15% (and 24% from the regional council).

It fucks me off so much that we have this massive white elephant stadium that's turning into a massive money pit and rather than a tiny bit of introspection the council is just "welp, guess we need to increase the rates in a cost of living crisis"

Foods up what, like 50% for some things, my insurance went up about 20% rates maybe going to be similar...

My pay went up 4%.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Confusedslight posted:

I don't know if this is the right place but if someone can link me a discord invite to the nz one that would be much appreciated!

Sent!

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

public space for people to use, rather than for Ports of Auckland to park cars on

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

we paid the port 40 million dollars for queen's wharf so that we could pitch tent on it then lease it back to them for 1$ a year. we don't need more of their wharves to deliver public spaces, we need the one we already paid for.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

carrionman posted:

It fucks me off so much that we have this massive white elephant stadium that's turning into a massive money pit and rather than a tiny bit of introspection the council is just "welp, guess we need to increase the rates in a cost of living crisis"

Foods up what, like 50% for some things, my insurance went up about 20% rates maybe going to be similar...

My pay went up 4%.

Don't forget power; I just got an email from Electric Kiwi saying their daily flat rate is going up by about 50% and the kw/h charge by about 30%. Off-peak will be $0.02 kw/h cheaper though!

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Ghostlight posted:

we paid the port 40 million dollars for queen's wharf so that we could pitch tent on it then lease it back to them for 1$ a year. we don't need more of their wharves to deliver public spaces, we need the one we already paid for.

Agree that queen's wharf is poorly utilised, but part of that is because it's like a driveway to other wharves, which makes it pretty unattractive for events. Bledisloe wharf is much bigger and would make that whole precinct more attractive for events.

I also think anything that shrinks the port foothold is good.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Wafflecopper posted:

Don't forget power; I just got an email from Electric Kiwi saying their daily flat rate is going up by about 50% and the kw/h charge by about 30%. Off-peak will be $0.02 kw/h cheaper though!

What shits me is that email led with "we're introducing off-peak rates on all plans!", followed up with and we're raising your per-kWh charge by a fuckload, and then just buried the doubling of the daily charge in the table at the end.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Weatherman posted:

What shits me is that email led with "we're introducing off-peak rates on all plans!", followed up with and we're raising your per-kWh charge by a fuckload, and then just buried the doubling of the daily charge in the table at the end.

Yeah I noticed that too. Kind of undermines their whole “we’re the socially conscious plucky underdog taking on the big corporate suppliers!” schtick

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Yeah I recently chucked in electric kiwi because they're quite a lot more expensive than other plans now, and their prepay model is annoying as gently caress for budgeting purposes.

jizzy sillage
Aug 13, 2006

I was on Electric Kiwi a couple years ago and they were the cheapest by far. Moved to a new place in December 2023 and we wound up with Frank Energy, as Electric Kiwi was already about 150% of what we used to pay.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

exmarx can we please get the thread title changed to "Roads of National party significance"

Wayne's been on a tear recently

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

exmarx can we please get the thread title changed to "Roads of National party significance"

Surprise surprise, Nationals transport policy is poorly thought out

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I'll do this in a bit

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

Lol

Where’s that gif of the dude smoking weed while 2 people fight

And/or the simpsons monkey knife fight

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
That article been paywalled to me, anyone care to copy/paste, please?

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

been using frank energy and its funny that their emails still mention "EOL" (energy online)

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

carrionman posted:

My pay went up 4%.

My pay has gone up 0% since 2021. I make $56k/year. I am the sole person making the product that the business sells.
Production has increased by about 65%, quality and consistency is night and day from when I started in 2021, we have three more Sales Dudes on staff, but on my 45 hour contract I make not quite living wage.

Think I might retrain as a dentist tbh

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
Why haven't you delivered an ultimatum to your boss?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

yeah if you've already pushed for a substantial raise and haven't got one, it's time to find a new job. surely with your experience you could find someone else willing to pay you more to do the same thing?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

i believe dave is a victim of a niche industry that is almost half liquidations and receiverships after covid so there's not a lot of competition to go to.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Shithouse Dave posted:

My pay has gone up 0% since 2021. I make $56k/year. I am the sole person making the product that the business sells.
Production has increased by about 65%, quality and consistency is night and day from when I started in 2021, we have three more Sales Dudes on staff, but on my 45 hour contract I make not quite living wage.

Think I might retrain as a dentist tbh

Sounds like you need a good union

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/national/511160/kaipara-mayor-s-mum-with-broken-hip-waits-2-point-5-hours-for-ambulance
Waiting two hours for an ambulance seems pretty bad, I'll just Google who the mayor is surely he's in favour of more funding for it...