Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
From my understanding, Roman coins are usually relatively ethically sourced, it's the Hellenistic stuff that is basically guaranteed to have been looted and sold by warlords. This unfortunately makes the Greco-Bactrian stuff, some of the coolest coins ever made, extremely unethical to buy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

There are also fake coins. As long as you're finding a reputable dealer it won't be fake or looted, so it's fine. There are hundreds of millions of Roman coins around and they're mostly not worth anything once they've been excavated and documented (if it's an interesting coin and not number 894,287 of this type).

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Coinage is a funny thing since in both ancient and modern times, currency is a tricky thing to deal with as a country and an individual. It takes a certain level of resources and organisation to be able to mint currency after all. (and now I want to play Civ again...)

Fun fact: It took a long time for vikings to get their own coins. They were completely dependent on arabic dirhams. So when the arabic silver mines ran dry the entire norse economic basically collapsed, trading ports like Birka were abandoned and there were civil wars.
To solve this the vikings then decided to invade the British Isles again in order to get more silver.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
As far as Roman coins go, are there any that would actually be considered rare and important just on their own, even without the context of where they were found? I assume there are a lot more coins with Marcus Aurelius' face on them than, like, Otho's.

Koramei posted:

Wa is just generically Japan. Yamatai, Himiko’s kingdom / the most important part of Wa, had a big debate surrounding where it’s actual location was until the 2000s, but is now pretty firmly thought to have been near the later capitals in the center of the country.

skasion posted:

The character 和 read “Wa” in modern Japanese means “harmony”. The original character the Chinese used, 倭 also read “Wa” means “bowed, bent” or even “dwarf”. You can see why they changed it.

Wa refers to the entirety of Japan—the Chinese recognized there were different “countries” within it: Himiko’s Yamatai was the one they found most significant, but obviously was not a highly organized state controlling the whole archipelago or anything.

Tulip posted:

To get a little more into it, it's an exonym (not unlike "Japan"). The Wei used 倭國 (wakoku, koku being just "country" like in China 中國, so Wa is the Japan-specific element). 倭 is a homophone of 和, peaceful and is still used a lot in a lot of Japanese contemporary stuff, for example 和装 "wafuku" - Japanese clothing (as opposed to like suits), 和食 "washoku" - Japanese cuisine (as opposed to pizzas). Current Japanese imperial era is 令和, "reiwa", and the period that milhist nerds are going to be very familiar with was 昭和, "showa" (the Showa period was very long but importantly includes all of WW2).

The endonym that Japan used before 日本 "nihon" was 大和, which bear with me is not pronounced "daiwa" but "yamato." Kanji pronunciations are a nightmare.

Neat, thanks for the clarifications! I noticed that Taishi Ci's quotes mentioned the Emishi - would their territory be considered to be a part of Wa, or outside of it? Based on what you all have already said, I presume the former?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Medenmath posted:

As far as Roman coins go, are there any that would actually be considered rare and important just on their own, even without the context of where they were found? I assume there are a lot more coins with Marcus Aurelius' face on them than, like, Otho's.

One of the rarer are the 'remember when I stabbed Caesar' commemorative coins put out by Brutus.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Medenmath posted:

One that's never been found before would be, that'd def be staying in a museum. And there are some that are extremely rare that you aren't going to find on the market, or if you do we're talking millions of dollars. But for archaeological purposes once it's excavated and there are pictures of it, that covers you and the coin itself is not going to tell you anything new.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Alhazred posted:

Fun fact: It took a long time for vikings to get their own coins. They were completely dependent on arabic dirhams. So when the arabic silver mines ran dry the entire norse economic basically collapsed, trading ports like Birka were abandoned and there were civil wars.
To solve this the vikings then decided to invade the British Isles again in order to get more silver.

I have read that Ethiopia used Maria Theresa thalers till the after the second world war

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Grand Fromage posted:

One that's never been found before would be, that'd def be staying in a museum. And there are some that are extremely rare that you aren't going to find on the market, or if you do we're talking millions of dollars. But for archaeological purposes once it's excavated and there are pictures of it, that covers you and the coin itself is not going to tell you anything new.

There's also metallurgical analysis but there's probably not much of the coin left after that.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

There's also metallurgical analysis but there's probably not much of the coin left after that.

I mean, I'm not a chemist exactly, but I know of methods that do mass spectrometry to accurately detect heavy metals bound to protein tags in single cells.

So I'd imagine you could do at least mass spec with some pretty tiny coin shavings. (Like, literally microscopic.)

Lead out in cuffs fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jun 30, 2022

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Lead out in cuffs posted:

I mean, I'm not a chemist exactly, but I know of methods that do mass spectrometry to accurately detect heavy metals bound to protein tags in single cells.

So I'd imagine you could do at least mass spec with some pretty tiny coin shavings. (Like, literally microscopic.)

Eh, I wouldn't know.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
This site even have a thread to buy goon sourced ancient coins.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3884740&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

If you're using a destructive form of analysis, the more stuff you use the more reliable the results are (especially important if you're doing isotope analysis, since ratios of very small amount of randomly generated stuff is the whole game). So sometimes you can get away with shavings or even less (I remember one technique we used could get down to parts per trillion), but there's a lot of times where you're having to weigh "is the knowledge more valuable than the artifact." It is ENTIRELY reasonable as well to just say "let's shelve it in the hopes that better methods get developed in a couple years/decades," since we have made some really crazy advances in instrumentation within my lifetime.

There's some non destructive methods (I did one of my two senior projects on Raman spec in large part because of the historical/archaeological applications) but these methods only work for certain things. Raman can tell you stuff like "are these gems or are these colored glass," it won't ever tell you "was this pottery made with clay from Arizona or Utah."

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
We should have a few cesspits just so there's an archaeological record of our diet

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
So in ancient and medieval contexts there’s always talk of debasement of coinage causing inflation, but what about the opposite? Do we ever get old records talking about deflation? Whether or not they understood it, or merely knew something was wrong without understanding why but we can look at how they describe the symptoms and say “aha!”.
Coins get lost, they get worn out, they get sent out on the Silk Road never to return. So you always have to have some new coins being minted at somewhat regular intervals. But there’s so many times that it must have been disrupted. Like Western European late antiquity. Sure guys like Odoacer minted coins, but there’s no way he had either the precious metal supply nor the minting infrastructure to do it as much as the Empire had.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Azza Bamboo posted:

We should have a few cesspits just so there's an archaeological record of our diet

we have wow players' socks

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

A diet comprised entirely of cheese powder and ground corn? How did they survive?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The cheese powder has all 14 essential amino acids, and the corn provides the bulk of calories, jeez, they weren't just stupid barbarians

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
The blue horse was some kind of fertility symbol

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Azza Bamboo posted:

Well they have our shitposting recorded.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

The Cool S is going to fuel multiple PhDs.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

galagazombie posted:

Coins get lost, they get worn out, they get sent out on the Silk Road never to return. So you always have to have some new coins being minted at somewhat regular intervals. But there’s so many times that it must have been disrupted. Like Western European late antiquity. Sure guys like Odoacer minted coins, but there’s no way he had either the precious metal supply nor the minting infrastructure to do it as much as the Empire had.

I suspect in situations where things are hosed enough you're not minting coins, then your economy is also hosed enough that you have less people needing coins, which are something you see in more developed economies. Peasants don't need them, they tend to deliver goods in kind and otherwise operate through barter. The nice thing about coins is you can take them (as a merchant or w/e) from one end of a large polity to another and have their value uniformly recognised. If you're doing a lot less of that, you have less need of coinage.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

feedmegin posted:

I suspect in situations where things are hosed enough you're not minting coins, then your economy is also hosed enough that you have less people needing coins, which are something you see in more developed economies. Peasants don't need them, they tend to deliver goods in kind and otherwise operate through barter. The nice thing about coins is you can take them (as a merchant or w/e) from one end of a large polity to another and have their value uniformly recognised. If you're doing a lot less of that, you have less need of coinage.

Coinage is...a little more specialized than even that. Coinage entered Egypt with the Ptolemies, for example, and its not like the economy was just hosed before then. It was pretty good pretty frequently, with sophisticated tax collection and wage systems and finances. For the most part, among settled agrarians, the main economic activity was through debt ledgers: the Sumerian form (which I'm most familiar with) would be that a farmer would go to the alewife or temple or whatever and pick up stuff and the alewife/priest would record the total value of stuff given to the farmer in barley, and during the harvest time the farmer would deliver the balance of their debt in barley.

The hypothesis I'm familiar with on coinage links it to military adventurism: it makes it easier to pay your soldiers when you don't have to use weights & measures for handing out chunks of copper/silver and can just have a purser hand out a couple coins and those coins can be used without weights & measures.

Barter was of course also happening alongside all of this but its still happening y'know today I've bartered for things. It's never been particularly large because debt ledgers are just so much easier so much of the time.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Medenmath posted:

Coins with well known emperors like Augustus and Caesar is going to be worth a lot more than emperors that no one has heard of. Then there's the gold coins that's gonna be worth a lot simply because they're made of gold.

CrypticFox
Dec 19, 2019

"You are one of the most incompetent of tablet writers"

Alhazred posted:

Coins with well known emperors like Augustus and Caesar is going to be worth a lot more than emperors that no one has heard of. Then there's the gold coins that's gonna be worth a lot simply because they're made of gold.

Augustus coins aren't actually all that expensive, since there are so many of them. Looking at VCoins, they have a number of Augustus coins for sale under 100 dollars. He was on the throne for over 40 years and he had a lot of time to pump out coins with his face on them. Julius Caesar coins are a lot rarer and more expensive though, since they were only produced briefly.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I'd only collect ancient coins if they had dicks or boobies on em

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Brawnfire posted:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Brawnfire posted:

Plenty of dicks on Roman coins. Commodus, Caracalla, Tiberius...

King of False Promises
Jul 31, 2000

Grand Fromage posted:

Plenty of dicks on Roman coins...Caracalla...

:argh:

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I think he mean literally too as in early coins they have it swingin in the breeze.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Crab Dad posted:

I think he mean literally too as in early coins they have it swingin in the breeze.

:thejoke:

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
imagine putting your dickpic on a coin.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I think there was some concern for misgendering the little monster.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Imagine having the power of Imperium and not putting your dick pic on the coins

Eldoop
Jul 29, 2012

Cheeky? Us?
Why, I never!
Print my dick on the coins, call that a Solidus Snake.

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Imagine having the power of Imperium and not putting your dick pic on the coins

What are they going to do about it, stab me? :agesilaus:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

e:nm

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

,,Wanna come up to my apartment and look at my collection of ancient erotic coins?"

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

FreudianSlippers posted:

,,Wanna come up to my apartment and look at my collection of ancient erotic coins?"

Not after reading your av text

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Did the Carthaginians do human sacrifices? Is there any sort of consensus or proof on this? Was in a discord where it was randomly brought up with somebody claiming that there's a sort of woke narrative about how conquered people did nothing wrong and they, like the Aztecs, absolutely did sacrifice people.

Despite their claims, I've never heard anyone say the Aztecs didn't do human sacrifices, but in the random tidbits I've read/heard over the years it was more questionable about Carthage due to ancient sources being untrustworthy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

https://www.cambridge.org/core/jour...4B3230F6DA17389

If they did infant sacrifice is pretty controversial.