Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I forgot Windows 11 released already lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Why it does not happen to you on Mac/Linux
When two write to the same file are made simultaneously on POSIX, the behavior is to interleave the writes unpredictably, then report that both succeeded. There is an opt-in method intended for coordinating simultaneous file writes (flock), but it is advisory only. It's intended for things like a database with multiple processes coordinating access to parts of a shared database file; it won't stop a program that doesn't participate from changing anything.

There is a mandatory version of it, but :
- it requires that the filesystem support it
- the filesystem must be mounted with it specifically enabled or it does nothing
- The kernel implementation is buggy/broken on Linux and doesn't work
so basically nobody uses it.

The POSIX philosophy is basically "It is the user's problem to make sure you aren't saving things from two places simultaneously"

On Windows, the underlying function that creates/opens files (CreateFile) takes a sharing mode parameter and consequently every open file has a "Allow other readers?"/"Allow other writers?" value that determines whether a second CreateFile() fails if it tries to open the same underlying file for reading/writing/both.

tl;dr: You can get the error on Windows but not POSIX because Windows has a mechanism to detect & enforce exclusive writes. If there are multiple writers, POSIX silently corrupts the file instead.

(in your specific situation, probably some other drive sync/virus scanner/whatever is opening the file with more permissions than it actually needs)

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Well, whatever it is, it's happened in all 3 sign shops I've worked at.

Thanks for the replies though.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

I happened to think of something even more basic, since it's something I've run into a bunch of times lately: do you have permission to write to the folders you're working out of?

It's really annoying for me and I keep forgetting how often I need to use administrator privileges under Windows 10 to do the most basic poo poo when my home computer only has one user profile.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Meaty Ore posted:

I happened to think of something even more basic, since it's something I've run into a bunch of times lately: do you have permission to write to the folders you're working out of?

It's really annoying for me and I keep forgetting how often I need to use administrator privileges under Windows 10 to do the most basic poo poo when my home computer only has one user profile.

That may have had something to do with it but all the job folders were in one master folder and it didn't happen every time so I dunno

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/WhatTheADHD/status/1527617004336820228

This actually feels really helpful to me! I hope it becomes a standard accessibility opt...

https://twitter.com/KaijuChomps/status/1528045570740428801

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
I have adhd and the only thing that typeface does is make me read every word in bold voice which is quite annoying

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I was diagnosed with adhd just this week after decades of wondering wtf was wrong with me. That bolded paragraph thing works to me

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
So all it does is bold a certain number of letters based on the length of each word?

Yeah, I’m gonna love to see this company try to enforce a patent on a process that would be trivial to anyone who has started an Intro to JS class.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Baronash posted:

So all it does is bold a certain number of letters based on the length of each word?

Yeah, I’m gonna love to see this company try to enforce a patent on a process that would be trivial to anyone who has started an Intro to JS class.

I can't imagine it becoming a standard at all for several obvious reasons but something like a plug in for your browser, Kindle or email server might be really helpful for people like me with ADHD. I find it harder and harder to read as I age but that paragraph formatting worked well for me.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Baronash posted:

Thats what I was thinking. Seems something very trivial to do

edit: I would totally understand if they were selling this as wordpress plugin or something. The fact they are trying to make a profit from it with an API and a patent is both dumb and disgusting

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 15:56 on May 22, 2022

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Baronash posted:

All they would have to do is use a different algorithm to select which letters to bold in each word.

There's no way they've got the rights to partially bolding words in general.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

this is the patent

No idea what any of it means!

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/TorpedoGG/status/1528044352471171074

They are already getting into fights with other people doing the same thing.

Looking at their website, they do seem to have some non-trivial features, allowing the user to fine-tune the way words are highlighted, but I am still not sure how their algorithm is supposed to be special.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

BiggerBoat posted:

I was diagnosed with adhd just this week after decades of wondering wtf was wrong with me. That bolded paragraph thing works to me
FWIW the macOS RSS app Reeder has offered this feature for years, if that's a combination of things that is useful to you.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

TACD posted:

FWIW the macOS RSS app Reeder has offered this feature for years, if that's a combination of things that is useful to you.

Oh, right on, thanks! Is it only on Apple? I have a MAC but do most of my day to day stuff (bills, email, browsing) on my little Chromebook laptop. I love to read and just found out that I've apparently had ADHD forever. I never thought about it until my son was diagnosed, started to take long looks at the symptoms and then found a box of my old schoolwork after my mom died just filled with red flags.

Wish I would have known sooner.

It's only been recently that I notice myself having trouble reading though so I've been listening to more audio books. If it's just me reading a Stephen King book on a Sunday afternoon and I fail to retain info, that's one thing, but more and more I catch myself loving up at my job or on some important paperwork and am certain it has to do with my diagnosis.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

mandatory lesbian posted:

I have adhd and the only thing that typeface does is make me read every word in bold voice which is quite annoying

I read really quickly - my brain basically already does the equivalent of the bolding - so this is just annoying and slows me down.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

ozmunkeh posted:

Yeah WSL2 and the new terminal give you the best of both worlds. A functional desktop environment and the ability to drop into a shell when you need to without having to install a bunch of half-implemented windows ports of command line tools or, god forbid, something as hellish as cygwin. Integration with vscode is also pretty super.

MSYS2 is handy and convenient alternative to cygwin. Now to non-SH/SC tech nightmares:

1. The Math Prodigy Whose Hack Upended DeFi Won’t Give Back His Millions. An 18 year-old UWaterloo grad "hacked" a crypto index fund (yes, this seems to be as bad of an idea as it sounds) via some clever, possibly manipulative trades. Unfortunately, the story is a bit more complicated than that. First, the lolbertarian types managing this platform seem in way above their heads:

quote:

As he tried to sleep the morning after the attack, Day realized he hadn’t heard from one particular collaborator. Weeks earlier, a coder going by the username “UmbralUpsilon”—anonymity is standard in crypto communities—had reached out to Day and Kellar on Discord, offering to create a bot that would make their platform more efficient. They agreed and sent over an initial fee. “We were hoping he might be a regular contributor,” Kellar says.

Given the extent of their chats, Day would have expected UmbralUpsilon to offer help or sympathy in the wake of the attack. Instead, nothing. Day pulled up their chat log and found that only his half of the conversation remained; UmbralUpsilon had deleted his messages and changed his username. “That got me out of bed like a shot,” Day says.

He shared his suspicions with the team, who over the next few days combed the attacker’s digital trail. They discovered that the Ethereum wallet used to transfer tokens during the attack was connected to another wallet used to collect winnings in a recent hacking contest by a participant who sometimes identified himself as UmbralUpsilon. Pulling up the participant’s registration, they saw that it linked to a profile on the collaborative coding platform GitHub.

I like how they make it sound like they did some elite matrix forensics to track this fellow down, instead of just searching for his username and finding his public GitHub account. Which, you know, they probably should have done before offering a Discord rando cash to build a bot for their supposedly secure cryptofinance platform. Anyway, here's a summary of the "hack":

quote:

1. Borrow­ heavily: Medjedovic’s code takes out a $157 million “flash loan” consisting of DEFI5’s component tokens, specifying that the funds will be returned (with interest) before the contract is finished executing.

2. Hoard UNI: The program spends $109 million to buy nearly all of the DEFI5 pool’s UNI tokens, purchasing batches at rapidly escalating prices—eventually, 860 times UNI’s market price. UNI is the pool’s benchmark token, from which it extrapolates its total value, and with the amount of UNI dramatically reduced, DEFI5’s value is suppressed by a factor of 380.

3. Swap UNI for cheap DEFI5: Via a process known as “minting,” Medjedovic’s script swaps the UNI he’d bought plus more that he’d borrowed—worth a total of $53.2 million—for undervalued DEFI5 tokens worth $153.8 million.

4. Borrow Sushi: The code takes out another flash loan, this time for $2.4 million worth of Sushi, a token being introduced to the DEFI5 pool in a process known as “reindexing.”

5. Flood the pool with free Sushi: The program gives the Sushi to the pool, circumventing a limit on the amount of a new token that can be introduced. The script then trades Sushi for still-undervalued DEFI5 tokens.

The script “burns” the DEFI5 tokens, trading them for its component tokens, which now include Sushi. Through a repeated process of minting and burning that takes advantage of the DEFI5’s low valuation, the code then ultimately exchanges $4 million worth of Sushi tokens for $21 million worth of other tokens.

6. Cash out

7. Pay back the loans, keep the rest: The almost $160 million in flash loans is repaid. The remaining tokens, worth $11.9 million at the time, are stored in an Ethereum wallet.

Now, if "Flood the pool with free Sushi" sounds really loving stupid (but a good thread title?), that's because it is, and anyone who put money into this garbage deserves to lose it. Unfortunately, while this might seem like a David Robin Hood vs Goliath Sherwood Sheriff story, it this young adult prodigy unfortunately appears to be a huge piece of poo poo himself:

quote:

Some called out his use of racist language and tropes: The Ethereum address Medjedovic used for the attack included the number “1488”—shorthand for a neo-Nazi slogan—and he’d written the N-word into the code itself, 16 times. A Twitter user called him the “Dylan [sic] Roof of Balancer Pools,” a reference to the mass shooter who killed nine Black people at a church in Charleston, S.C., in 2015. Medjedovic liked the tweet.

In addition, while he was clever enough to turn fake bullshit into real money, he seems to be going into court battles in Canada without a lawyer and simply ignoring summons and judge's orders, which means he's quite likely to get his rear end handed to him for being a contemptuous moron irrespective of the details of the case, which might otherwise have been interesting in and of itself.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

eXXon posted:

In addition, while he was clever enough to turn fake bullshit into real money, he seems to be going into court battles in Canada without a lawyer and simply ignoring summons and judge's orders, which means he's quite likely to get his rear end handed to him for being a contemptuous moron irrespective of the details of the case, which might otherwise have been interesting in and of itself.
The best case scenario is he blows as much of the money as possible on stuff that immediately depreciates, then gets a judgement to pay it all back and has to declare bankruptcy. Everyone loses!

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Cryptocurrency is amazing. The one thing in history where the least shady thing you can do with it is buy drugs.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

"Flood the pool with free Sushi" is indeed a great thread title

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Stexils posted:

"Flood the pool with free Sushi" is indeed a great thread title

Mods please 🙏

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

mandatory lesbian posted:

It works for me while also being quite annoying.

It feels like reading a Facebook boomer screed where every word is either in capitals, bolded or underlined.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

https://cleantechnica.com/2022/05/23/production-f-150-lightning-has-more-power-capacity-range-than-ford-promised/

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Ooh, an advertorial.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

As someone who has opinions about typography in general, that poo poo makes me irrationally angry

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
https://twitter.com/morebuttertv/status/1529151981792727040

The sheer stupidity of modern culture is breathtaking.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

https://twitter.com/morebuttertv/status/1529151981792727040

The sheer stupidity of modern culture is breathtaking.
I have so many questions, yet I wouldn't care about the answers.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I hadn't realized that the Nazi Ape Club has piggybacked typical IP rights over ownership of their NFTs. :lmao:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
NFTs and everything surrounding them are loving hilarious. It's like a black hole of utter stupidity and lack of common sense.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Inferior Third Season posted:

I have so many questions, yet I wouldn't care about the answers.

Same.
I see things like that and my curiosity soars like a line on a crypto value graph.
Then I remember that it will ultimately be stupid and depressing, and my curiosity plunges like a crypto value graph.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Don't miss the trailer for Green's project if you like cringe!
https://twitter.com/FoldableHuman/status/1529205304478420994

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
Lol Gary Vee has to be involved in this.

Burn it all down and start anew, we're done

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Less Fat Luke posted:

Don't miss the trailer for Green's project if you like cringe!
https://twitter.com/FoldableHuman/status/1529205304478420994

I watched the whole thing and still have no loving idea what this show is about or why anyone would watch it.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
loving lmao at working class people being represented by an nft

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
Dan's reply starts a whole thread. You should read it if you want to laugh into the void.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Woolie Wool posted:

I watched the whole thing and still have no loving idea what this show is about or why anyone would watch it.
https://twitter.com/thebellyboy/status/1529209668609880064

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
So the only internet ads I ever recently seen on my home rig are either twitch ads or plutotv ads because they splice ads into their vids so ublock doesnt work at all.

What's senate bill 2992? my logic razor of "do the opposite of what they tell me to do" tells me that its actually good. gently caress amazon, gently caress google. they dont want this therefore I want this. Also the ad is telling me to call my AZ senators so lol good job pluto even though my ip isnt AZ.

https://www.congress.gov/bill/117th-congress/senate-bill/2992

e:
the CCIA is against it, 4/5 of the FAANG companies being against it seems pretty decent arugement to be for it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_%26_Communications_Industry_Association

PhazonLink fucked around with this message at 07:15 on May 28, 2022

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
As far as I can tell from reading it, it looks fine? I imagine that the platform owners are mostly unhappy about it because it opens them up to a lot of potential liability for their search and suggestion algorithms as far as presenting some products more prominently than others, among other vertical integration type stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

PhazonLink posted:

So the only internet ads I ever recently seen on my home rig are either twitch ads or plutotv ads because they splice ads into their vids so ublock doesnt work at all.
If you use Firefox there’s an addon called “alternate player for Twitch.TV” or something that removes ads. Might be available for Chrome as well, IDK