Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Max Wilco posted:

Not sure if I've posted it in this thread before now, but Manly Guy Doing Manly Things sort of portrayed Duke like this:

I love it so much. :allears:

i'd probably watch they live with duke nukem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Today I learned the weirdos at ACE Team (Zeno Clash, Rock of Ages, etc) were also responsible for Batman Doom and this crazy looking Quake 3 single player TC called The Dark Conjunction http://www.moddb.com/mods/the-dark-conjunction

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

My review of Duke Nukem Forever:

I love that review, I remember that and all your excellent Todd Howard posts of course, epic stuff! (in the Homer tradition)

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Dyz posted:

You're mostly right, but there definitely isn't a giant neoconservative subtext to a loving Duke Nukem game. He's just an rear end in a top hat.

It's pretty easy to get that impression though.

It's also worth mentioning that the DNF version of Duke was around for a while, but nobody really remembers poo poo like Time to Kill and Zero Hour because they were total garbage.

I don't think it's a bad thing to want the DN3D Duke to have a proper home and a better future because there was a lot of charm there. It just got pissed away over the following decades.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Yodzilla posted:

Today I learned the weirdos at ACE Team (Zeno Clash, Rock of Ages, etc) were also responsible for Batman Doom and this crazy looking Quake 3 single player TC called The Dark Conjunction http://www.moddb.com/mods/the-dark-conjunction

Dark Conjunction isn't great, but it's a really interesting look at trying to make singleplayer Quake 3 mods. Saves for example only load from the beginning of a level.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Heavy Metal posted:

I love that review, I remember that and all your excellent Todd Howard posts of course, epic stuff! (in the Homer tradition)

A thousand years from now nobody will remember Doomguy or Caleb or Bitterman (although maybe BJ), but they will recall and debate Duke Nukem for his scholarly complexity--the endless interpretations of his nebulous anti-hero qualities that have been bestowed upon him by Broussard's boobery...not unlike a father unwittingly imparting prejudice and spite upon his only son.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Dewgy posted:

It's pretty easy to get that impression though.

It's also worth mentioning that the DNF version of Duke was around for a while, but nobody really remembers poo poo like Time to Kill and Zero Hour because they were total garbage.

I don't think it's a bad thing to want the DN3D Duke to have a proper home and a better future because there was a lot of charm there. It just got pissed away over the following decades.

Yeah that's why I said Duke's had about 1 and 3/4 original 3D games by now. 1 is Duke 3D and the remaining 3/4 is every other 3D duke game since, including DNF.

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
I thought Time To Kill was alright.......

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

ETPC posted:

It's decent enough, but I'm not convinced it's aged especially well on account of the clunky Tomb Raider controls.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

ETPC posted:

Probably wasn't awful for a PS1 game, but wasn't that also the one where you killed the final (female) boss by cramming a grenade up her cootch?

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
Oh yeah, I bet playing it now would be *rouuuuuuugh* but at the time it was ok? Also, I can't remember that final boss, but it wouldn't be surprising at all.

I just remember liking the intro because it had that one Stabbing Westward song in it, and I was/am a total mall goth at the time.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

Lurdiak posted:

Duke's personality works fine in Duke3D, which is a game that barely has a story. His cheesy quips add to the atmosphere of the game and helps it feel like more than a mere "Doom clone". It does not work in DNF, not only because it's an outdated and unexamined cartoonish trope in a game that has an overall more serious tone(admittedly not TOO serious, but it's still a less arcadey world by a wide margin), but because the actual fleshing out Duke does get outside of his corny one-liners and love of violence makes him seem like a huge loving rear end in a top hat. This is a pretty uncontroversial thing I'm saying here, and it's really weird that you keep jumping in to say "Actually Duke is super awesome and has no problems at all and there definitely isn't a gigantic neoconservative subtext to Duke Nukem Forever!". My issue isn't with you liking something, but how weirdly and blindly defensive you are of it.

the fact you use 'neoconservative' kills whatever argument you're trying to make. keep political buzzwords on CNN and tumblr.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Well I'll be damned, that was the end boss of DN3D. Maybe I underestimated how quick it all turned to poo poo. :v:

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
Cool fact: all media is political

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Diabetes Forecast posted:

the fact you use 'neoconservative' kills whatever argument you're trying to make. keep political buzzwords on CNN and tumblr.

Lol that you're freaking out about people using normal words to make fun of Duke Nukem Forever

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

fishmech posted:

Lol that you're freaking out about people using normal words to make fun of Duke Nukem Forever

when did that become a normal word that people out in public say? it hasn't. it's a news word.
Also why are you saying 'freaking out' of all things?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

when did that become a normal word that people out in public say? it hasn't. it's a news word.

Like 2001? It's as old if not older than "watch Bush start a loving war." Please grow up and learn to talk to actual humans offline someday soon.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

when did that become a normal word that people out in public say?

Somewhere around the turn of the century. A little earlier in political science circles. It's roughly contemporary with the games that are the topic of the thread, so it's surprisingly apt here.

Tippis fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jul 9, 2017

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

I'm sorry you apparently never made it past middle school, and think words on the news aren't real.

Because you're freaking out, or you're trying to do an incredible life like simulation of someone really dumb freaking out at a normal word in a post about Duke Nukem Forever sucking.

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
Not to continue this derail, but Neoconservativism has been a 'thing' since like the 90's and prob even before that. Wikipedia says the earliest mentions were in the 60's.

Also, deriding words for being 'news words' is a bad look.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

ETPC posted:

Cool fact: all media is political

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

Arivia posted:

Like 2001? It's as old if not older than "watch Bush start a loving war." Please grow up and learn to talk to actual humans offline someday soon.

in my whole life I never saw this word used anywhere but in the past 4 years and really only ever on the news. I live in the south, you'd think I would have heard this word here but nope never has it come up in conversation with real human beings.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

in my whole life I never saw this word used anywhere but in the past 4 years and really only ever on the news. I live in the south, you'd think I would have heard this word here but nope never has it come up in conversation with real human beings.

Why does it sound like you're bragging about that?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Then you need to get out more. Proud ignorance like yours is a disservice to everyone and is exactly the kind of attitude that thinks Duke Nukem is acceptable in 2017.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Duke Nukem is acceptable in the year 2017

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

In fact, I bought a Duke Nukem game not one week ago

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
I've been spending a lot of time recently watching long-form video essays of game crit and I thought Noah Caldwell-Gervais's stuff would be relevant to the thread. This one on HL mods gave me a lot of Feelings. I strongly recommend diving into the others too because they are all excellent. The FEAR one is super good, as is the Wolfenstein video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpbFtCUqM0M

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

Arivia posted:

Then you need to get out more. Proud ignorance like yours is a disservice to everyone and is exactly the kind of attitude that thinks Duke Nukem is acceptable in 2017.

Duke Nukem is not political, it's a joke character from the 90s. a joke does not necessarily need to be political.
Where should I get out more to then? Where can i find people who use neoconservative in real conversation? I'd rather just know how someone's day has been and talk about quaint things.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Duke Nukem is not political, it's a joke character from the 90s. a joke does not necessarily need to be political.
Where should I get out more to then? Where can i find people who use neoconservative in real conversation? I'd rather just know how someone's day has been and talk about quaint things.

One of the cornerstones of cultural criticism is that things can be (and often are) political, even if they're not intended that way. Duke is very much promoting a model of masculinity and ways to interact with the world at large; he is a political actor.

And I don't know where you are. But by god, if your response to something you don't hear often is to attack it as one of those ivory tower news words, you've got some work to do.

Douk Douk
Mar 17, 2009

Take your pervert war elsewhere.
I'm loving this Duke chat too much.

ETPC posted:

I've been spending a lot of time recently watching long-form video essays of game crit and I thought Noah Caldwell-Gervais's stuff would be relevant to the thread. This one on HL mods gave me a lot of Feelings. I strongly recommend diving into the others too because they are all excellent. The FEAR one is super good, as is the Wolfenstein video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpbFtCUqM0M

Speaking as someone that generally doesn't give a gently caress about games journalism, Noah Caldwell-Gervais is a phenomenal games journalist. Not only does he cover niche subjects like singleplayer HL1 mods, but he puts forth such a massive amount of effort and is incredibly knowledgeable about whatever subject he's talking about. I can't speak highly enough of his channel.

He also has a great video on Doom 3 and explains in great detail on the awkward position Doom 3 was in when it was released that led to its lukewarm critical reception.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vn0IMQIlUMQ

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
Joseph Anderson, Hbomberguy and Errant Signal are also fantastic. Long form video essays are extremely my poo poo.

cl_gibcount 9999
Aug 15, 2002

now that I've thoroughly demonstrated my mental superiority, allow me to state in detail how a video game character makes me fuming angry and that it needs to be eradicated

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Duke in DNF is political feeling in the way Duke 3D wasn't and that was the complaint being levelled. You know, the complaint you freaked out about and refused to finish reading.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Douk Douk posted:

I'm loving this Duke chat too much.

Speaking as someone that generally doesn't give a gently caress about games journalism, Noah Caldwell-Gervais is a phenomenal games journalist. Not only does he cover niche subjects like singleplayer HL1 mods, but he puts forth such a massive amount of effort and is incredibly knowledgeable about whatever subject he's talking about. I can't speak highly enough of his channel.

He also has a great video on Doom 3 and explains in great detail on the awkward position Doom 3 was in when it was released that led to its lukewarm critical reception.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vn0IMQIlUMQ

Nthing the Noah kudos. The one on Homefront was good too. I ended up getting Homefront Revolution and had a decent time with it. It's basically a janky urban FarCry and I eat those up like the dirty consumer whore that I am.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Meanwhile, as a quick break from this thread's quarterly habit of staring at its collective hands in mortal terror and realising that we're all horrible monsters, here are some retro FPS'y speedruns from Summer Games Done Quick this year.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VHZwQqshsk&t=1037s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOkypDxI0T4&t=416s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLrDS-3Qs-4&t=416s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DT4IOmDKR68&t=370s

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Duke should be more Johnny bravo, less 'cool'. He's a buff nerd who watches oprah and b movies. He's confident but socially inept. As soon as they made everyone (literally) want to suck his dick they ruined the character. And so many of the new lines for dnf just made him spiteful and misogynistic.

He's meant to be the goofy side of masculinity, not the toxic side. He didn't offend or 'trigger' me in dnf, he just made himself someone I didn't like.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Duke should go away because his games weren't and aren't much fun.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

fishmech posted:

Duke in DNF is political feeling in the way Duke 3D wasn't and that was the complaint being levelled. You know, the complaint you freaked out about and refused to finish reading.

I refuse to acknowledge DNF is a game or exists so

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

juggalo baby coffin posted:

Duke should be more Johnny bravo, less 'cool'. He's a buff nerd who watches oprah and b movies. He's confident but socially inept. As soon as they made everyone (literally) want to suck his dick they ruined the character. And so many of the new lines for dnf just made him spiteful and misogynistic.

He's meant to be the goofy side of masculinity, not the toxic side. He didn't offend or 'trigger' me in dnf, he just made himself someone I didn't like.

That's sort of along the lines of what Terminus said. You don't have to totally abolish Duke's personality. There's a right and wrong way of doing a character like Duke. If he's written in the right way, he can be endearing, but if written the wrong way, you get DNF. You could have a script where they poke fun of Duke, but he just rolls with the punches.

A new Duke game sounds incredulous, but in the past few years, we not only got a reboot of Shadow Warrior, but that reboot got a sequel, and I never dreamed that would happen. The only other game that tops it in terms of 'reboot I never thought would happen' was Rise of the Triad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I refuse to acknowledge DNF is a game or exists so

It seems like you refuse to acknowledge a lot of reality.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Duke should go away because his games weren't and aren't much fun.

Duke 3D was fun and is still fun. It's a landmark game, ignoring what it achieved because some of what it did was icky is just dumb.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Jul 9, 2017