Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Judge Tesla posted:

As far as I know, the Forlorn show up when you revisit areas after you've killed one of the bosses there.

When I came into the Bastille from the Wharf I got invaded by the Forlorn on the wall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Ok I need to know, is the Catarina Helmet still only in one of the DLC areas if I don't wanna farm that NPC invader?

Rage McDougal
Jul 28, 2013

ChaosArgate posted:

Ok I need to know, is the Catarina Helmet still only in one of the DLC areas if I don't wanna farm that NPC invader?

Yeah, the DLCs are pretty much unchanged from before.

In fact, are there any changes? I don't think I noticed anything.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Rage McDougal posted:

Yeah, the DLCs are pretty much unchanged from before.

In fact, are there any changes? I don't think I noticed anything.

The biggest change is an indirect one: you don't just start with the keys to the DLC areas; you have to find them in the world.

Nuebot posted:

I wish they'd make a hack or something to get rid of that snowstorm, I'd use it in a heartbeat. Without a doubt the frozen wastes is my least favorite part of this whole game, despite the fact that I otherwise loved the DLC.

Are you using GeDoSaTo? Apparently that graphics mod massively reduces your visibility in that area.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Mzbundifund posted:

Poison is literally the only way I ever managed to kill Licia, although I doubt anybody thinks she's exactly good encounter design.

Everyone says she's very difficult but the one time I fought her (not having any idea what I was doing because I got the weird orb thing that triggered in her area) I just beat her face in fairly easily?

What makes her hard? I had more trouble with Dennis in the new version than I did with her.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

Everyone says she's very difficult but the one time I fought her (not having any idea what I was doing because I got the weird orb thing that triggered in her area) I just beat her face in fairly easily?

What makes her hard? I had more trouble with Dennis in the new version than I did with her.

She has a very fast casting nearly full heal, meaning that anyone without a fast, low-Stamina weapon to constantly interrupt her is stuck in an infinite loop of being unable to outdamage her healing.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Vermain posted:

She has a very fast casting nearly full heal, meaning that anyone without a fast, low-Stamina weapon to constantly interrupt her is stuck in an infinite loop of being unable to outdamage her healing.

Huh, maybe she didn't do it with me because I just smacked her head in with a greatsword until she died. I think she healed a bit but again, more face beating solved that problem.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

OwlFancier posted:

Huh, maybe she didn't do it with me because I just smacked her head in with a greatsword until she died. I think she healed a bit but again, more face beating solved that problem.

Which is always wonderful to hear. Sometimes the simple solution is best :allears:

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Well, sometimes she'll heal. Other times she'll do an AoE blast which does more physical (despite looking like a miracle) damage than Vendrick's greatsword. They both have basically the same windup animation.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

I've been trying to stay as fresh as possible for Dark Souls II. I've never played it and I finally have a few days to sit down and go through the game. Should I even bother with Dark Souls II or jump straight into Scholar of the First Sin? The few things I've read makes the initial release of the game sound redundant but I don't want to buy it if it's missing anything important.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

fennesz posted:

I've been trying to stay as fresh as possible for Dark Souls II. I've never played it and I finally have a few days to sit down and go through the game. Should I even bother with Dark Souls II or jump straight into Scholar of the First Sin? The few things I've read makes the initial release of the game sound redundant but I don't want to buy it if it's missing anything important.

Go right for it, it's all improvements as far as I can tell. Less frustrating and more content.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
So Straid is selling every piece of the Forlorn set except the torso. What did I miss?

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

victrix posted:

Bonkers how many upgrade materials this game throws at you, I have three +10 primaries, need a few chunks for a +10 bow, and I have a set of armor at +5 that I can raise a bit more with some farming.

Except for Dragon Bones though. I don't know what to upgrade with them :ohdear:

I've noticed that there seem to be a lot more Petrified Dragon Bone in SotFS. I was able to get my Pursuer's UGS up to +5 before I even finished Undead Crypt. I remember the last time I played on the DX9 version that if I wanted to get a boss soul weapon leveled up before end-game, I needed to get every last bone out of the Aerie, and even then still sometimes had to farm some of them from the acolytes in Aldias Keep. There seems to be a lot more twinkling titanite too.

edit: Maybe it's just because I've been more careful about exploring everything in this run since I didn't want to miss anything cool

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Seems like the drangleic castle doorkeeper gives the llewellyn set now. Also the armour gives poise now. I wonder what other armour stats they have changed.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Bellkeeper kills now also reward twinkling occasionally.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Go right for it, it's all improvements as far as I can tell. Less frustrating and more content.

Less frustrating as in easier content or as in better UI and tutorial sections? Sorry to be That Guy, I've gone this long without spoiling anything I don't want google or control+f to ruin it now.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Improved content, enemy placement and encounter design. Annoying encounters have been tuned down and boring ones hqve been made interesting. There is overall more variety. You can also bring three phantoms instead of two.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

fennesz posted:

Less frustrating as in easier content or as in better UI and tutorial sections? Sorry to be That Guy, I've gone this long without spoiling anything I don't want google or control+f to ruin it now.

It seems a bit easier, though some sections are certainly harder. The places where it got "easier" are generally the ones that were hard in an annoying way, not a clever puzzle-this-out sort of way. You could generally easily beat them by doing boring stuff like shooting single arrows from far away to draw in one enemy at a time, and now you can choose how you approach them. I haven't finished or anything but generally the changes have all been good.

I wouldn't suggest an "easy mode" dark souls if that's what I thought it was - this is a proper "lets think about how to improve the encounter design in the game", it doesn't seem like easier or harder was a design goal at all.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I'm in Dragleic castle at the second bonfire - in the golem room just past it, none of the stone soldiers wake up. How am I supposed to trigger this? I've bonfired in and out, they still won't wake up.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Those do not wake up. If it is the room with one golem at the end which I am thinking of, go to the next room and pull a mannikin over to the golem.

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment
Were the spiders always pacified by the torch or was that added in SotFS?

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

Bear Retrieval Unit posted:

Were the spiders always pacified by the torch or was that added in SotFS?

Pretty sure that's how it always was.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
If you have a weapon with poison damage, is it possible to apply more than one poison debuff at a time and stack them?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Trip report: teaching newbies how to burn the windmill in Earthen Peak is still just as adorable. :3:

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

It seems a bit easier, though some sections are certainly harder. The places where it got "easier" are generally the ones that were hard in an annoying way, not a clever puzzle-this-out sort of way. You could generally easily beat them by doing boring stuff like shooting single arrows from far away to draw in one enemy at a time, and now you can choose how you approach them. I haven't finished or anything but generally the changes have all been good.

I wouldn't suggest an "easy mode" dark souls if that's what I thought it was - this is a proper "lets think about how to improve the encounter design in the game", it doesn't seem like easier or harder was a design goal at all.

Thanks for the swift responses you guys! This is exactly what I was hoping it'd be but I wanted to be sure before I plunked down $40 on potentially the 'wrong' version of the game.

Thanks! :tipshat:

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

For someone not playing a pure caster, are there any good utility spells I should burn my miracle/sorcery spices on? I have no idea what to use these for.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

victrix posted:

For someone not playing a pure caster, are there any good utility spells I should burn my miracle/sorcery spices on? I have no idea what to use these for.

the weapon buffs are usually good ideas. Magic/crystal magic/flame/lightning weapon basically apply additional int/fth scaling to your right hand weapon.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Anybody else having a bug where enemies sometimes won't aggro on you? In the Huntsman's Copse before the first bridge and all through the runup to the mr. skeltal boss fight the bandits just stood there while I walked up to them and murdered their faces. Very odd, and I'm wondering if its because I used SteamMover to push most of the game off my SSD and onto my storage drive (never been a problem in other games).

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

victrix posted:

Personally I'm a big fan of Repair on a melee character. There are also quite a few miracles, several sorceries, and a few pyromancies which offer various buffs, utility effects, support, healing, etc. with relatively low int/faith requirements (or none at all for pyro), making them easy to spice.

NB that many buffs with duration, particularly weapon buffs, have duration scale with the appropriate stat(s). This also means that if you spice them down and use them at a lower stat than their baseline, their duration will get considerably shittier.

e: Yearn is also a solid choice with a lot of utility.

Vil fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Apr 7, 2015

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Does SotFS add the desert sorcerer/ess set as purchasable anywhere? Because they've made it way more annoying to farm. :(

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Wait, am I reading the wiki correctly? I need to either win 150 blue invasions or get to NG3 before I can get Wrath of the Gods in this game? :aaa:

Get Innocuous!
Dec 6, 2011

come together

Smol posted:

Wait, am I reading the wiki correctly? I need to either win 150 blue invasions or get to NG3 before I can get Wrath of the Gods in this game? :aaa:

Some of the max rank covenant requirements are completely ridiculous, like in Brotherhood of Blood you need 500 duel points to get Great Chaos Fireball.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Welp, there goes my build then... I'm not planning of playing this game that much.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Smol posted:

Unless they changed it for SotFS you can also just ascetic that bonfire up twice in order to get it.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Or wait for Cheat Engine tables to get refined enough to give you all the weapons and magic.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
This feels like a stupid question, but I have to ask it anyway because I've been burned before by how lovely the original Dark Souls played on my computer before it was switched over to Steam: Is the dx11 version as optimized as the dx9? Cus I don't want to buy the same game twice only to have it run shittier.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

It feels pretty nice on my rig, though if you were annoyed by the 60 FPS weapons degradation bug, you might not like that it's now considered a feature.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Unless they changed it for SotFS you can also just ascetic that bonfire up twice in order to get it.

Wellager's NG++ poo poo is specifically NOT something you can obtain with Ascetics, neither in vanilla nor SotFS

If you want those spells for a PvE build then yeah forget it. If you want them for PvP then it's a moderate hassle to get: Buy the Agape Ring to lock yourself at a low level then "merely" run through the game two and a half times. Which is challenging at low levels but nothing quite like the ridiculous amounts of PvP you'd need to consistently win at in order to get GCF or WotG or whatever.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Mr Dog posted:

Wellager's NG++ poo poo is specifically NOT something you can obtain with Ascetics, neither in vanilla nor SotFS

Huh. I was 90% sure I got WotG off him in NG+1 via an Ascetic. Guess I misremembered, sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
About a week ago I was considering a Dark Souls 2 replay, so I just went ahead and got this gay game. gently caress this gay game, gently caress this Earth, gently caress this From Software.

I can't wait to replay it.