Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

WickedHate posted:

By the way, a lot of people added me as a friend recently, so I wanted to say: I've actually literally never had friends on Steam before, so I don't know if like, adding something to your wishlist notifies other people or not. I'm sorry if it does and I'm not trying to do that to hint at people to buy me stuff, I just like queuing up stuff I wanna buy eventually in a convienent list, and I'm browsing Steam right now while Resi 4 installs.

Well, in 'friend history' (or whatever it's called) it'll add a one-liner stating that you added X game(s) to your wishlist that day, but it's pretty easy to miss and doesn't send out any notifications or anything, so it's perfectly fine to use as a 'to-buy' list - I think a lot of goons use it for that purpose, anyway. (I do too, although I never look at the wishlist itself - I use it so that Steam emails me when it goes on sale for 50+% off)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

awesmoe posted:

i haven't friended you but this is like, THE WORST faux pas anyone ever made on steam. Wishlisting poo poo is SO gauche

That can't be right, because I never wishlist so that would make me the best, which is clearly untrue.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Major Isoor posted:

Well, in 'friend history' (or whatever it's called) it'll add a one-liner stating that you added X game(s) to your wishlist that day, but it's pretty easy to miss and doesn't send out any notifications or anything, so it's perfectly fine to use as a 'to-buy' list - I think a lot of goons use it for that purpose, anyway. (I do too, although I never look at the wishlist itself - I use it so that Steam emails me when it goes on sale for 50+% off)

Okay! I was afraid I might be overreacting but I just got paranoid it'd look bad if everyone started seeing me add a bunch of poo poo there after someone gifted me something and I got a bunch of new friends. Thanks.

Orv posted:

That can't be right, because I never wishlist so that would make me the best, which is clearly untrue.

Believing in yourself is the true magic.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I add to my wishlist whenever, I don't give a gently caress

Although I guess I only added 4 games to my wishlist this month (Oceanhorn, Woolfe, White Night, Jumpjet Rex) and I always add indie games which end up being in bundles so my wishlist never stays too big

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Without a wishlist, there wouldn't be a christmas sale gift train. It is therefore nothing but pure goodness. :colbert:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

So much stuff's on sale anymore I keep a wishlist just so I can scan it everyday and see what games I actually care about are on sale for that day.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

RBA Starblade posted:

So much stuff's on sale anymore I keep a wishlist just so I can scan it everyday and see what games I actually care about are on sale for that day.
Yeah, I do this too. I don't even bother to scroll to the sales, just check the list and move on.

Then add like six more bundle games to my account.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Adding something to your wishlist doesn't send a nagging alert to your friends. They don't see it at all unless they go to your profile and specifically look.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Wishlisting is a good way to keep track of sales as well games that look interesting to you that you're going to wait on. That's how I've always used it.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Mzbundifund posted:

Adding something to your wishlist doesn't send a nagging alert to your friends. They don't see it at all unless they go to your profile and specifically look.

It'll show up on the Friend Activity page at the time they're added, amid all the achievement notifications, which is after all the purchases and screenshot uploads. It's still not obtrusive, but I have found out some titles going up I was unaware of through seeing friends adding them to their wishlists.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

But does any of that show if your profile is set to private?

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

I've been playing Backbreaker again and this is the type of game that would have been a massive success if on the PC and with a proper replay tool. It's not amazing but it's using the euphoria engine so the tackles and such happen in the most amazing way.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Testekill posted:

I've been playing Backbreaker again and this is the type of game that would have been a massive success if on the PC and with a proper replay tool. It's not amazing but it's using the euphoria engine so the tackles and such happen in the most amazing way.
I still think Backbreaker Vengeance would of been a top seller for a week or two if it got a PC release.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
Just bought Nuclear Throne. Fun little game.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
So, as someone who enjoys the old MGS games and is interested in their change in direction regarding map linearity (since the various MGS V 'operations' are all meant to be open-world, right?), would MGS V: Ground Zeroes be considered worth the $10 and ~4GB download?

Keeping in mind that I was surprised to notice that they had replaced David Hayter with Kiefer Sutherland, which made watching the trailer slightly jarring. (seeing as I've seen 24 in the past, and don't really associate Sutherland with 'stealth' - plus I think Hayter fits the 'Snake' bill perfectly) So, how easily/quickly did other long-time MGS fans get used to the change in VA? Like, does Sutherland do it well, and becomes a good replacement for Hayter?

Thanks

EDIT: Oh, and what's it like with KB+M? I wouldn't imagine it'd be too bad, but I've only ever played MGS on the PlayStation before, so I thought I should check.

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Mar 25, 2015

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:
I add stuff to my wishlist to remind me that there's something about the game that makes me want to buy it, not in the hope someone will gift it to me (I prefer they don't, I've got enough poo poo on my backlog already), plus steam sends out helpful emails for when it's on sale.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Major Isoor posted:

So, as someone who enjoys the old MGS games and is interested in their change in direction regarding map linearity (since the various MGS V 'operations' are all meant to be open-world, right?), would MGS V: Ground Zeroes be considered worth the $10 and ~4GB download?

Keeping in mind that I was surprised to notice that they had replaced David Hayter with Kiefer Sutherland, which made watching the trailer slightly jarring. (seeing as I've seen 24 in the past, and don't really associate Sutherland with 'stealth' - plus I think Hayter fits the 'Snake' bill perfectly) So, how easily/quickly did other long-time MGS fans get used to the change in VA? Like, does Sutherland do it well, and becomes a good replacement for Hayter?

Thanks

Pandoras box man, you just ripped it in half. For $10, if you're willing to play all the missions even though they're all on the same map, Ground Zeroes is a steal. Getting 100% will take you at least 7 or 8 hours and that's if you know what you're doing. First time out, it'll take you a lot longer. I couldn't be more excited for MGSV at this point, especially given how slick and enjoyable GZ is. As for the Keifer situation, it's practically null for GZ because BB has all of a couple lines, but I don't really mind him after spending the time I did with the game.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

Major Isoor posted:

Thanks

Snake barely talks in MGSV. To be honest, he had only a few lines in MGS4, too, so it's not that jarring. Mostly you'll be hearing Kaz Miller blabbering about mission objectives over and over again.

GZ is absolutely worth it at :10bux:. Apart from the side missions you also get two "secret" ones after collecting all XOF emblems.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Major Isoor posted:

Thanks

as a fan of the series since the old 8bit days, about 2 minutes to get used to everything. Sutherland hardly ever talks so it's not that big a deal. It also has some of the best stealth gameplay I've seen, kind of like a combination of MGS 4 and Splinter Cell (though MGS 3 is still my favorite).

The main mission is like an hour long, there are a few other missions for you to do which may be like 30-60 minutes each. But it's fun going through each mission over and over again trying to perfect your run. I've probably got like 20 hours out of it and still haven't perfected it.

It's a good game, runs like butter, will scratch the itch till TPP comes out.

edit: gently caress those xof badges though. i keep trying to find them and then get distracted trying to wipe out the entire base.

Leper Residue fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Mar 25, 2015

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Cool, thanks guys, you've sold me on it. Purchase going through as I write this! (Also, I too thought that MGS3 was the best - not MGS1, shock horror - so it's good to hear that it's a least of a similar quality, albeit shorter)

EDIT: Oof, and by being too quick to jump on buying the game after three recommendations were posted in rapid succession, I ruined Terminally Bored's PM gift. :shobon: I really appreciate the thought though!

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Mar 25, 2015

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

WickedHate posted:

Okay! I was afraid I might be overreacting but I just got paranoid it'd look bad if everyone started seeing me add a bunch of poo poo there after someone gifted me something and I got a bunch of new friends. Thanks.
Don't get anxiety over this. Nobody really gives a poo poo about friends activity window unless there are some screenshots or something interesting, nobody will notice when you update something like a hundred times, it's not Facebook.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

awesmoe posted:

i haven't friended you but this is like, THE WORST faux pas anyone ever made on steam. Wishlisting poo poo is SO gauche

I wishlist poo poo that I may want to buy later when it comes on sale or whatever so that I don't have to remember what catches my eye, I don't expect anyone on my friends list to buy me anything and indeed the last time anyone got me anything on Steam was for a gift exchange thread here in Games, and before then like my birthday three years ago.

Basically:

RBA Starblade posted:

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Oh the wishlist is an actual wishlist that others can see?
I use it as a quick sales scanner, too of course and assumed everyone would

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...
Smite complete pack is 20$! (33% off)

http://www.hirezstudios.com/smite/latest-news/view/smite-blog/2015/03/24/smite-1-year-anniversary-sale

monny
Oct 20, 2008

dollar dollar bill, y'all

:britain:

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Pillars of Eternity is taunting me from my library, just sitting there in its pre-downloaded state.

We'll see who's laughing 29 hours from now you smug-rear end piece of software

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

There's a special edition of Devil May Cry 4 coming out this summer. Three new characters, a new difficulty setting and gameplay changes. Since DMC4 seems to have really bad load times for me, I might jump on this.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Kanfy posted:

Pillars of Eternity is taunting me from my library, just sitting there in its pre-downloaded state.

prob obsidian

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

duckfarts posted:

prob obsidian

Because they get to put out a game and don't have to put up with Bethedsas quality control?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Testekill posted:

Because they get to put out a game and don't have to put up with Bethedsas quality control?

Obsidian released plenty of broken things without Bethesdas help, don't even try to play that card.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!
No more broken than Bethesda's or BioWare's stuff.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Only 4 is worth getting as it it legitimately one of the best games ever made.

6 has the best version of mercenaries but unfortunately you have to play through the terrible campaigns to unlock all of that first.

5 is completely poo poo. The only good thing is that Chris punches a rock, presumably out of frustration from falling from grace and being in such a worthless lovely game.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Ddraig is wrong. RE5 is probably the best one out of 4/5/6, even if the co-op partner's AI is a bit dumb. 4 is solid and has the novelty factor going for it, but 5 is where they really managed to fine-tune the mechanics added in 4.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Mar 25, 2015

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

drat, this thread's regulars got really angry over the years. It's like you don't know what will trigger somebody next to start a rant with no argumentation other than 'it's poo poo from rear end'.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
RE5 is meh. RE6, you only have to play Ada's Campaign to get Ada and Carla for Mercenaries - everything else comes unlocked from the get go or gets unlocked through playing Mercs.

Lastly, RE4 is a great game married to an absolutely awful control scheme. The fact that you have to stay still to aim and fire was claustrophobic as poo poo.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I'll have you know my opinions regarding resident evil are unquestionable and i will fight you

Resident Evil 5 tries to refine re4 but fails to understand that certain things might seem like limitations but are actually necessary for creating a balanced and fun game.

RE4 is a game of chess, perfectly balanced in every way with every single piece and move carefully constructed. Re5 is a turd.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Azran posted:

Lastly, RE4 is a great game married to an absolutely awful control scheme. The fact that you have to stay still to aim and fire was claustrophobic as poo poo.

Yeah, RE4 unfortunately shows its age if you've at all played 6 or either of the Revelations games. 5 has the same "stand still to aim" thing but enemies tend to come at you from further away and with clearer sightlines, so it's less of an issue.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

RE4 is bad because it doesn't have co-op, which is the only way I will ever play a Resident Evil game.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Kanfy posted:

Thanks for making me go check for my key, I didn't know they were available yet. :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

WickedHate posted:

The only thing I notice from friends is what they are currently playing when I look at the friends list. I am always hitting the friend list cap though, so I turned off the pop-up notification whenever someone starts a game. It wouldn't be a bad feature if it didn't have to display every single person in a game when Steam starts. Just show new notifications! I don't need to see a list of what 100 people are playing every time I start Steam, and have them display 3 at a time!

• Locked thread