Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

ultrafilter posted:

The oracle said that Durkon would return home posthumously. That's been fulfilled.

You're thinking of belkar, maybe. And his would be a great time for a hero's death for him saving durkon...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

sebmojo posted:

You're thinking of belkar, maybe. And his would be a great time for a hero's death for him saving durkon...

Right, right, that was it.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I know things are definitely gonna go to poo poo and probably subsequently to a deus ex machina or the Order showing up, but I'm choosing to assume things are still going according to Durkon's plan. He knew Redcloak and Xykon were working at cross-purposes, Thor told him what Redcloak was actually planning, and Durkon got him to admit as much. Xykon may well slow down long enough to listen, especially when he assesses that the dwarves are no threat. Team Evil versus Team Dwarfs is a no contest, but team clerics versus Xykon is a much more interesting encounter, particularly with Oona and the MitD's loyalties being up in the air.

Also noticing that Minrah's dinky little hammer is drawn flat in every panel, while Durkon's Hammer of Thunderbolts gets actual geometry. It's always been drawn that way, while it wouldn't make sense for most other weapons, but it's the first time I've spotted it.

Ponsonby Britt
Mar 13, 2006
I think you mean, why is there silverware in the pancake drawer? Wassup?

Regalingualius posted:

I’m guessing that Durkon and Minrah are pretty soundly defeated, but before Xykon can finish them off, O-Chul, Lirien, and/or whoever their captors are make their grand reentrance to distract him long enough for them to escape.

Lien is the paladin who's with O-Chul. Lirian is the elf druid from the Order of the Scribble.

Actually, thinking about this, I wonder if Lirian and/or Dorukan are going to show back up? Xykon has their souls trapped in a gem still, so if they could be broken out they would be a really useful source of exposition about the Snarl. I mean, I also think that the mysterious invisible paladin-captor is Serini, so she could also be a good source of exposition, but then she would also have a vested interest in freeing her friends' souls.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

sebmojo posted:

And maybe reveal that he finally started taking his Tracking skills seriously and trailed the dwarves without their awareness?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I love it when someone gets turned into a skeleton for a panel. Great effect.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I don't know to what extent book spoilers are kosher, but we do also know that at some point during this book, Belkar is going to save Hinjo's life.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

ultrafilter posted:

The oracle said that Durkon would return home posthumously. That's been fulfilled.

So far, Durkon has returned home three times after dying (two if you don't count Nokrud).

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Before Belkar dies, he will betray Hinjo 3 times

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I don't know to what extent book spoilers are kosher, but we do also know that at some point during this book, Belkar is going to save Hinjo's life.

He's done it already.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

sebmojo posted:

He's done it already.

Spoilers for a book 3 bonus strip: He's done it once already, but the prophecy said he'd do it twice.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I know things are definitely gonna go to poo poo and probably subsequently to a deus ex machina or the Order showing up, but I'm choosing to assume things are still going according to Durkon's plan. He knew ...

William of Occam just screamed loudly enough to be heard down the centuries.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Oh right, thanks I forgot that

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Ponsonby Britt posted:

Lien is the paladin who's with O-Chul. Lirian is the elf druid from the Order of the Scribble.

Actually, thinking about this, I wonder if Lirian and/or Dorukan are going to show back up? Xykon has their souls trapped in a gem still, so if they could be broken out they would be a really useful source of exposition about the Snarl. I mean, I also think that the mysterious invisible paladin-captor is Serini, so she could also be a good source of exposition, but then she would also have a vested interest in freeing her friends' souls.

I don't believe the soul thing has ever been brought up in the main comic, and Rich has talked about not wanting people to be lost if they only read the main comic, so I think it would probably get introduced at some point during downtime if it's going to become super important.

Remalle
Feb 12, 2020

John Wick of Dogs posted:

but Xykon's always been a skeleton

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Remalle posted:

but Xykon's always been a skeleton

It would make for greater foreshadowing if he hadn't literally appeared in the panel below.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Absurd Alhazred posted:

It would make for greater foreshadowing if he hadn't literally appeared in the panel below.

I was viewing on a phone so I didn't see him till I scrolled down

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Rich uses panels for timing really well. It's kind of like fast cuts in Hong Kong cinema.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I guess what I'm wondering is what will Xykon make of the fact that some clerics were attacking his cleric all on their own. Like it seems that they were isolated and not worrying about any kind of attack in general, and all of a sudden a cleric battle?

It's not much of a leap to conclude that some kind of god-stuff is involved, but I don't know how much the fact that he doesn't exactly know the details of the spell weighs on his mind.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Ooh, what if Redcloak reveals the overly-generalized truth that the two of them were parlaying on behalf of their gods... And Xykon gets pissed at him because he figures that if the gods are trying to negotiate with them now, then that means that they’ve practically already won from his perspective? Basically, why go to the extraordinary effort of finding and binding the last Gate to them when they apparently already have the gods backed against the wall and willing to make concessions to him?

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Kerning Chameleon posted:

I'm impressed with with how quickly we degenerated from "okay, it's risky but let's see how it goes it could win big!" to "okay, wow, Durkon really screwed the pooch this time, what an awful plan." :allears:

reignofevil posted:

Plus he's just the kind of guy who'd play along, be very reasonable about listening, come to a fine agreement about where and when the party could meet him for a face to face talk to hash things out, conclude the sending spell, then he'd order Xykon onto the necrodragon and set out to turn the order into hamburger meat.

I didn't even think they should cast a sending!

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

What if the order already defeated Xykon off-screen and this is an illusion created by Vaarsuvius/Elan?

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

Personally, I’m a huge fan of the theory that the party is still trapped in a Draketooth mega-illusion.

Teaming up with gods to save the multiverse? Pfft. They’re all wigged out in a pyramid’s basement in a desert.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
This doesn’t look good

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
It feels like deadass a decade since Xykon has been front and center in this strip.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

SKULL.GIF posted:

Snarl breaking through like in the desert.

Nah, can't be. Besides being repetitive this is the last Gate so that would trigger instant end-of-world wouldn't it?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

SuperKlaus posted:

Nah, can't be. Besides being repetitive this is the last Gate so that would trigger instant end-of-world wouldn't it?
We've been lead to believe it would, but Rich has gone on record as saying that anything drawn in crayon is in-universe story, not things that for sure actually happened. That's yet to actually come up.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

PMush Perfect posted:

We've been lead to believe it would, but Rich has gone on record as saying that anything drawn in crayon is in-universe story, not things that for sure actually happened. That's yet to actually come up.

Lends more credence to the theory that all crayon drawings are either outright falsehoods or stories so distorted by time and retellings that they might as well be outright falsehoods.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Yeah, it’s a gun on the mantelpiece that’s yet to be fired, so it’s pretty obvious that it’s going to be a Big Deal in the last book.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

SuperKlaus posted:

During the Godsmoot, or at some point, I dont recall when, the Gods said they would have a period of time before the Snarl noticed, after the last gate was blown.
Something like 5-15 minutes or there abouts.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

paradoxGentleman posted:

This reminded that MitD has seen Durkon gently caress. I hope he brings it up at some point.

So has Redcloak.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I read Good Deeds Gone Unpunished this weekend. It was really nice to read 160 pages of OotS without waiting two weeks and change between each. Good stuff too, I wonder if Zhou survived the events of the siege of Azure City. Hope she will at least show up in the background of a scene in the Azure Islands', since she did have knack for surviving. Anyways, I think the Therkla story is the one that will stick with me the longest, which surprised me since I didn't really like her character in the main comic.

Other than this, Origin of the PCs and Start of Darkness, is there any book made up entirely/mostly of new comics?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

ZearothK posted:

Other than this, Origin of the PCs and Start of Darkness, is there any book made up entirely/mostly of new comics?

Snips, Snaps, and Dragon Tales only contains extra strips (most of which cannot be considered canonical).

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

There's Snips, Snails, and Dragon Tales which has a few new stories and a bunch of comics that never appeared on the web. I don't even know if that's in print, though.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Thanks! And yeah, I just checked and it isn't available in digital format and the only place that sells it is sold out, oh well, at least it is not really part of the continuity, so I don't really feel that invested in collecting it.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

There's also Uncivil Servant (12 pages) and Haleo and Julelan (25) on Gumroad. Only the first one is a part of the continuity, second is a story made up by Elan (though still pretty good).

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

I was disappointed to find that Dim Sun wasn't out yet when I last remembered to go and check, but, eh, it's a huge undertaking when everything else is considered.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

How Wonderful! posted:

Trying something new can be fun and educational, and I think that even if someone is to say "I only care about this one thing, I'm happy with it, it suits my needs" there's still value in knowing what else is out there. I like tofu wings but having seitan wings once in awhile can give me a fresh perspective and new ideas. It doesn't mean I'm giving up on what I already like. Exploring and learning is just a nice and good thing.

This is especially true in a case like this where one of the things in question is by far the most popular and easily available version of what it is. In the name of fairness I'll also open this mod challenge up to anybody who wants to go out and try a new ttrpg and come back and write about it. I'm even going to do it myself, a friend agreed to run the Kill Six Billion Demons PbtA for me and a few other people this weekend. It'll be fun.

I have said I would do it, and I have done this. I GMed a game of The Sword, The Crown and The Unspeakable Power, from here on out SCUP.

It's a PbtA game whose aim is to simulate "dark fantasy" settings with intrigue and struggles for power, a la Game of Thrones; it was published in 2018, when that particular well wasn't completely poisoned, so there's that. It takes many cues from Apocalypse World, to the point that several playbooks are direct ports of those: the Hardholder is now the Crown, the Chopper is now the Spur and so on.

Before this, we had a session 0 sort of deal where we worked on the mythology of our setting and what was going on with it. The manual provides you with some tools to smooth this out, which is nice since freeform collaborative worldbuilding runs the risk of becoming pretty rambling and aimless. We ended up with a wizard aristocracy that in times past bound the great dragons (beings that are as much animals as they are natural disasters) with the help of the common people, but nowadays they don't contribute much and are basically just a ruling class controlling magic and oppressing the people.

The game also makes you establish a faction that your character belongs to, and a couple of my players had some difficulty doing that. It worked out in the end but I needed to do some prompting; the Blach Hood (an assassin) wanted his faction to be an heretic cult that had a schism with the main religious body, but he was fearful of establishing too much about religion in the world. I solved the issue by asking "what's the one thing your cult believes in that's considered heretical?", he said "reincarnation" and I was like "yeah that makes sense with you being an assassin and all" and we were off to the races. They all ended up with factions opposed to the ruling class (even the Crown, who's the leader of criminal syindicate trying to go legit and turn itself into a metalwork union) in their own way, and so natural allies. I think the game kind of expects your group to have differing agendas, but I don't think this is going to be a problem.

I used a lot of the tricks I know from my PbtA experience to good effect, especially giving the players a prompt and letting them give you something to work on, so I feel confident saying that if you have experience with these you'll feel right at home.

The game does have some problems that maybe some extra playtesting before publication could've solved. Our Adept (magic hacker syphoning magic from the ziggurath that imprisons the Dragon of Volcanic Eruptions) had, as part of their starting equipment, a magic object that he decided was a mirror that he could use for divintation, and it had the following drawback:

quote:

It hates you (you must make a Persuade With Leverage roll against the object to make it comply, treating it like a named NPC that talks only to you).

When it came time for this to come into play, we found ourselves at an impasse. How do you get leverage on a mirror? Do you threaten to break it? But that's a different move, Threaten With Force. What other leverage can you possibly get on something that only you can talk to? What's worse, here's how that move works:

quote:

When you Persuade With Leverage, tell your target what you want from them and what your leverage is and roll+Wily. For NPC targets: on a 10+, they will accept your offer and do/say what you want. On a 7–9, the MC picks one:
† They want even more than what you’re offering or suggesting.
† They want concrete proof or upfront payment of the leverage immediately, before they do anything.
† They want something else than what you’re offering or suggest-ing, instead

See how all the 7-9 options depend greatly on what you're using for leverage? This really put me in a hard spot during the game, since there was no obvious leverage. In the end I made the executive decision that the mirror actually could talk to ther people, and it wanted to say something to an NPC friend of the Adept, who was already emotionally troubled at the time. Said NPC told the Adept that the mirror said that something horrible would happen to them if they shared what the mirror said, so now I have a juicy secret in my back pocket for future use, so at least I managed to eke that out of that whole situation.

Honor is a score that represents basically your reputation. You get it from showing off how cool and competent you are, by ingratiating yourself to useful allies, by spreading infoormation that people are interested in etc., and you lose it by appearing weak in public or being rejected and repudiated publcially. You use it to call upon your faction or to impress someone with how important you are. The problem with that is that if your character, because of bad decisions or bad luck with the dice, is already kind of looking like a chump, having it repeated mechanically to you is probably not good for morale; I don't know if this would encourage a player to strive more to redeem themselves in the eyes of the people or if it would make them want to disengage with the whole mechanic.

So there. This is my analysis of my experience with the game. I hope it's good enough.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

paradoxGentleman posted:

When it came time for this to come into play, we found ourselves at an impasse. How do you get leverage on a mirror? Do you threaten to break it? But that's a different move, Threaten With Force. What other leverage can you possibly get on something that only you can talk to? What's worse, here's how that move works:

You could read the Lyonesse books from Jack Vance, there's a lot of examples of this kind of things. But in short, assume the magic item is magic (and has a personality of its own) because it's powered by a spirit that is imprisoned in the item. It wants to be freed. So breaking the mirror might actually be what it wants; however threatening to stick it in a chest and burry it somewhere deep in an abandoned mine that you collapse afterward so nobody will ever find it? Then you can promise to free it after it has served "its sentence". Come up with a unit of service (maybe some old currency with a cool name, like the talent). Haggle on how much of this unit is each use of the mirror's magic power. Have the mirror count down how much it still has to earn. Threaten to deduct points if what it shows is misleading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

paradoxGentleman posted:

So there. This is my analysis of my experience with the game. I hope it's good enough.
...I'm kinda interested in this game now.