Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

christ those wheels are ugly

I'll allow it if they're trackday wheels but yes who the hell does a proper M swap e39 touring and puts...those on there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:
Is there a favorite brand of battery for e90s? Dunno if M3 is different. And are there inexpensive DIY solutions to recode the battery to the car or should I just take it somewhere?

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

rscott posted:

18s look like poo poo on E30s, really 16s are about as big as you can go without it looking dumb

It's not about the radius,
it's about the width :getin:

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

KillHour posted:

Not when you find one sitting on the lot for 6 months and they offer you 30% off MSRP to please just someone take it already.

this is the way

I got my M5

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Ultimate Mango posted:

this is the way

I got my M5

They're doing 30% off M5s!?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Residency Evil posted:

They're doing 30% off M5s!?

It was sitting in the basement of the dealer from March to October. It had like 20 miles on it.

I shopped the price around and I was laughed at or hung up on by pretty much every dealer in LA, OC, Riverside, and San Diego counties. One guy said he’d match but then did t have a car to sell. Oops.

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

Is there a favorite brand of battery for e90s? Dunno if M3 is different. And are there inexpensive DIY solutions to recode the battery to the car or should I just take it somewhere?

Not sure about favorite battery, but switching battery type OR remaining charge needs to be coded/registered with car; the alternator charging function needs to know about the capacity of the battery and will kill a battery early if this is not done. Carly and some other iOS apps + a dongle can do it in your garage...

Kritzkrieg Kop
Nov 4, 2009
Boring question, what is actually the real difference between putting in regular unleaded fuel vs premium? Manual says go for higher octane minimum but literally everyone in real life says don’t bother and there’s no consensus online.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Kritzkrieg Kop posted:

Boring question, what is actually the real difference between putting in regular unleaded fuel vs premium? Manual says go for higher octane minimum but literally everyone in real life says don’t bother and there’s no consensus online.

This is entirely dependent on the car in question. What car?

Edit: go with what your manual says. Your car will be working as designed, with the correct power/fuel Economy.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It's not just a marketing scam by Big Octane, if that's what you're worried about. It does matter.

Lower octane fuel has a higher tendency to produce "knock", which is an innocuous-sounding term for what it really is: premature detonation. If it happens it means the fuel in your engine is exploding when it isn't supposed to, outside of the right point in the cycle, which is super bad and stressful for the engine and leads to pitting and fatigue and eventually can blow up your pistons or conrods. Higher-octane fuel is called for by higher-compression engines that are tuned to produce more power but also have less tolerance for detonation and will be more easily damaged by it.

It's especially important if you have turbos, because when you're doing forced induction the fuel/air ratio is super sensitive and everything is carefully tuned to avoid leaning-out the mixture (which happens if you shove in too much air without enough fuel to go with it), which causes a cycle to burn super-duper hot and will melt a hole right through your piston. Premature detonation will do the same thing, lean it out and turn your engine into a calliope. So don't cheap out on your fuel especially if you have turbos, and especially if you have turbos that have been tuned outside the factory because they'll be even more high-strung and without such considerations as warranties.

(Did I get that right?)

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Kritzkrieg Kop posted:

the consensus online, non moron edition, is that you should do what the manual tells you to do, because the engine is tuned and designed for what's in the manual

Kritzkrieg Kop
Nov 4, 2009

Residency Evil posted:

This is entirely dependent on the car in question. What car?

Edit: go with what your manual says. Your car will be working as designed, with the correct power/fuel Economy.

2020 320i. Thanks everyone! I’ll stick with high octane from now on.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Modern cars will adjust the timing to prevent knock at the expense of less power and worse gas mileage. This allows people to think things are fine if they don't notice these things, but you should still use the octane rating the manufacturer suggests.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Cojawfee posted:

Modern cars will adjust the timing to prevent knock at the expense of less power and worse gas mileage. This allows people to think things are fine if they don't notice these things, but you should still use the octane rating the manufacturer suggests.

right and the way timing adjustment works is that the knock sensor first has to detect knock before making the adjustment

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I always hear people claiming that octane ratings are a conspiracy to get you to have to spend more money on gas, but car manufacturers have no incentive to do that. In fact, car manufacturers have an incentive to recommend the lowest octane gas that is safe for the engine, because it factors heavily into the TCO of the car. BMW isn't trying to screw you over to help their friends over at Chevron.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Oh gently caress, it's finally here!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

fknlo posted:

Oh gently caress, it's finally here!

:sickos:

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
oh....

OH MY

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender
Jeeeesus

:eyepop:

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Aftermarket vs factory charge pipes.

You need that super extension and universal joint to get to the bottom bolt on the rear pipe if you don't pull everything out. In reality you have to pull everything out to install the aftermarket ones though since you need to be able to get an 8mm wrench in there because the fatter pipe prevents the socket from going on. I totally knew that from the start :v:

I got the charge pipes on the car tonight, I'll do the charge cooler and cold side J pipe in the morning and I'll be able to regularly drive the car again!

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Double post!

Alright, new charge cooler and hot and cold side charge pipes are on the M3.

Stock everything

Stock vs aftermarket hot side charge pipes

Inside of the stock J pipe

That's coolant from the leaking charge cooler

Throttle body. Looks better than I thought it would

I went with Mishimoto for the charge cooler and hot side pipes. They don't make the J pipe and I went with VRSF because even though they have issues with some things, it's a relatively simple thing they can't gently caress up, right? Wrong.

If you can't tell what's going on there, the clip won't go in on the side that doesn't face the engine. I don't know if it would actually be possible to put the clip on the engine side when mounted and you'd sure as hell never be able to get it off again.

So I had to hit it with a loving file

Are you impressed by that high quality powder coating?

I also don't care for the fitment at all. I might be able to get it on there better but this was the best I could do today. There's a really good chance I buy something better and replace it when I do the heat exchanger

All done!

Not a hard job, it's just a bitch to try and get all 3 parts of the intercooler to attach to a pipe. I'm hopefully going to do the heat exchanger sometime in the next couple of months. I also need to order front rotors and pads for all 4 corners. That's way less effort than the heat exchanger so I'll hopefully get that done in the not too distant future.

I won't be buying anything from VRSF again. I knew they were garbage tier quality but god drat. If you have an S55 you should probably expect to have to do this at some point. I'll eventually pull off everything on the intake side and see how nasty it got from the coolant leak. There are people putting tens of thousands of miles on their car with the intercooler leaking so it can't be too big of an issue?

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

fknlo posted:

All done!

Not a hard job, it's just a bitch to try and get all 3 parts of the intercooler to attach to a pipe. I'm hopefully going to do the heat exchanger sometime in the next couple of months. I also need to order front rotors and pads for all 4 corners. That's way less effort than the heat exchanger so I'll hopefully get that done in the not too distant future.

I won't be buying anything from VRSF again. I knew they were garbage tier quality but god drat. If you have an S55 you should probably expect to have to do this at some point. I'll eventually pull off everything on the intake side and see how nasty it got from the coolant leak. There are people putting tens of thousands of miles on their car with the intercooler leaking so it can't be too big of an issue?

Looking great. Agree with VRSF; they are cheap clones of every product offered. I have experience with their outlets, chargepipes and intercoolers and I can only recommend them for intercoolers. They don't seem to 'make things right' and love to ship wrong size couplers, issues with finish, etc... At the end of the day I recommend a different brand such as BMS, Mishimoto, etc and spend the extra.

I say all of this with an unopened intercooler box from VRSF in my garage for my N54... I should have gone BMS but I wanted to replace it for a track day which didn't happen and now I am dreading issues.

Anyway, I am living vicariously through you and your awesome M3! :)

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

fknlo posted:

I won't be buying anything from VRSF again.

Thanks for this. I"ve been eyeing some parts for my e60 535, and they keep coming up. I'm somewhat relieved to see they're the re-branded ebay parts I'd suspected they were.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
Hrmmm...I knew I needed to do this to the M2, no VRSF is interesting. Where should I go, fknlo?

No problems with Mishi, jink, just curious if there are other opinions.

Crunchy Black fucked around with this message at 22:59 on May 4, 2021

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Crunchy Black posted:

Hrmmm...I knew I needed to do this to the M2, no VRSF is interesting. Where should I go, fknlo?

No problems with Mishi, jink, just curious if there are other opinions.

Mishi seems to be the best bang for the buck. You can get the package with the cooler, pipes, and heat exchanger for the same price as just the charge cooler from CSF, Garrett, Wagner, etc... The alibaba rebrand that literally everyone else sells is probably fine too but I think it looks like poo poo. I'm not sure what J pipe I'll grab to replace the VRSF one though.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Spotted by my friend

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

fknlo posted:

I'm not sure what J pipe I'll grab to replace the VRSF one though.

Let us know what you end up going with; bizarre that Mishi doesn't just make both. I was just going to do the pipes as I don't plan to tune but 2 grand for the kit ain't bad....

Need to finish the e30 first though lol and seeing as the 2 gets like 120 miles a week highway at worst put on it, I think she'll be okay.

Pimp Cauldron
Aug 3, 2002

A twisted pictoral of phoenix, AZ

Got my 540 back from getting the bumpers painted and getting detailed. The M-tech bumper I had on it had a terrible crack and was generally falling apart. After three years of owning the car, it finally looks good. There is only one pesky dent right on the top edge of the trunk lid. Probably will need a replacement one but it doesn't bother me that much.

I'd like to get some 18s or 19s for it one day. Holding out for a set of style 128s...

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
Don't you guys have PDR in USA?

Pimp Cauldron
Aug 3, 2002

Yes. The guy who did my bodywork outsources this to another person who was out of town at the time. Since the dent is right on a edge and there's no easy way to get to it from behind estimated this person could get it to 65-70% of original quality. Which on second thought doesnt sound so bad.

Pimp Cauldron
Aug 3, 2002

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

christ those wheels are ugly

They're Hartges and they're fine.

BMW people are so picky when it comes to other people's wheels. I swear there are only like three wheel styles per chassis you're allowed to use.

Pimp Cauldron fucked around with this message at 04:23 on May 11, 2021

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

just because they're name brand doesn't mean they're at all attractive

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

Pimp Cauldron posted:

They're Hartges and they're fine.

BMW people are so picky when it comes to other people's wheels. I swear there are only like three wheel styles per chassis you're allowed to use.

Rightly so, most people have awful taste in wheels and BMW does a generally nice job on their wheels.

Except the pre-lci F30 320i wheels, gently caress those.

Pimp Cauldron
Aug 3, 2002

kronix posted:

BMW does a generally nice job on their wheels.

There is no denying this, but I don't get why something as fun as wheels turns into aggressively wanting everything to be the same.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Pimp Cauldron posted:

There is no denying this, but I don't get why something as fun as wheels turns into aggressively wanting everything to be the same.

sorry we're making fun of the unattractive wheels you designed

i would rather that car have ronal bears than those wheels

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

a lot of aftermarket wheels are bad it's not just a bmw thing, especially when they don't fit well as is commonly the case

it's just extra obnoxious when people replace good bmw wheels with bad aftermarket ones

you do you though

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Speaking of wheels. One of my best buds has just finished his build.

Custom multi piece Alpinas.

Also this car has some very extensive but subtle work. Can anyone spot it!

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Knowing you, Ima say it's got a Hellcat engine in it and £19,800 in armco-induced body repairs to the driver front/passenger rear quarters?

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

I dig it a lot. I assume you mean besides the air? Are the fenders flared a bit more than stock?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
Are the hood and body lines sharper? Or is that just the lighting?