Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Moo the cow posted:

Also great for when you are a lazy bastard whilst working from home, but want to pretend that you are at your laptop and working hard at 9.05am

God bless advanced email features that most people are unaware of.

It’s good, but on outlook/exchange you can still get rumbled if the recipient displays their inbox with “time sent” rather than “time received” so it’s not 100% reliable as a ruse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Thanatosian posted:

Among a lot of other stuff, part of my job (in IT) is escalations from desktop, sometimes about home office stuff. I can tell you this: our internet infrastructure in this country loving sucks. Anytime I'm getting "I'm disconnecting from the core software and phones," it's always network. We've found that using an ethernet cable resolves about 85% of problems where it's tried. The other 15% or so just have internet that's too lovely, or roommates streaming Netflix. For us, it's usually not the down that's the problem (we actually don't use anything terrifically bandwidth-intensive), it's the up speed, where some people are lucky to see 5mbps up, while pulling 90 mbps down.

We don't want to support home networks, so the ethernet cable is the simplest solution, where viable. A lot of people don't like it, but we'll send a 100' ethernet cable to whoever. I highly recommend it if you're having issues; home wireless routers frequently also suck, because people buy whatever's cheapest, or just use whatever they get from their ISP. I have gigabit fiber, and the ISP gave me a router that couldn't even do wireless AC.

Sorry for going dark over the weekend. I more or less just burrowed myself into a hole and didn't move to rest and recuperate since I'm in broken pixel's shoes right now w.r.t. a project that is rapidly turning to spaghetti if not for me meticulously plotting and holding people to task (and I'm not even the goddamn manager :mad:).

Since people seem to be assuming I'm a homeowner, lol I'm not. I rent maybe 350-400sq feet of 1 bedroom with a combination kitchen/living room. This does make the internet situation much simpler, since my topology looks like Modem > long-ish cable > Router > short cable > device for everything. The WiFi is for fun stuff like my phone and iPad and whatever IoT gizmo I'm playing with that week. Anything that has an RJ45 port gets a hard line.

I obviously don't have accurate demographics, but most everyone I've interacted with owns a home, and as other posters have pointed out, there are a variety of solutions for people who can't make permanent modifications like running CAT6 through the walls to junction boxes where their hardware is set up. I know powerline wouldn't work well in my situation because the wiring is something like a 60 year old fire hazard, but plastic raceway that can be mounted with command adhesive exists, and gives a good solution to the 100' cable running along the baseboard.

Again, my company might be an exception here, but we surveyed the company mid-February when things started looking like this might be more than SARS part 2 to assess WFH readiness, and began programs to make sure people had things like printers, monitors, and whatever else was necessary to support a long-term work from home solution. I didn't need much of this because my office (in West Michigan) already had long term WFH procedures in place because of lake effect snow.

I still hold that if you weren't reading the writing on the wall when stuff like that comes out, you're being intentionally dense.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I live in a 550 square foot apartment with a roommate. My "home office" is me moving my keyboard and mouse from my personal desktop to my work desktop, and switching the monitors over to the other inputs. It sucks, but nothing else is really viable. My roommate works in the living room.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Unrelated, but delayed delivery on e-mail is great for those situations where you're working at odd hours but don't necessarily want to broadcast that.

Whoever recommended setting up a rule to delay outbound email by a minute, earlier in the thread, is a genius; it's great for catching 'whoops wrong attachment' cases, and it's not a long enough delay to be noticed otherwise.

[e] I wish you could specify a signature to use based on the time, so email between xx:xx and yy:yy was tagged with 'sent from my smartphone' or something

spincube fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jul 27, 2020

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Unrelated, but delayed delivery on e-mail is great for those situations where you're working at odd hours but don't necessarily want to broadcast that.

I was always paranoid that there was a way Outlook would tell on you if you used this feature.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

With COVID, I've stopped giving a poo poo.

Yeah, I'm sometimes working at 3am after staying up all night; it's quarantine, if anyone ever asks why some days I don't roll into work until 11, I'll just point at that.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

HiroProtagonist posted:

I was always paranoid that there was a way Outlook would tell on you if you used this feature.

It doesn’t directly tattle but you can configure your inbox to make it obvious when someone does it.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Thanatosian posted:

With COVID, I've stopped giving a poo poo.

Yeah, I'm sometimes working at 3am after staying up all night; it's quarantine, if anyone ever asks why some days I don't roll into work until 11, I'll just point at that.

time is meaningless at this point

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

time is meaningless at this point

Except that it's almost August and what the gently caress where is Q3 going?!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

i dont know what either of those things you mention are

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Yeah, it's still March and I'll fight anyone who says otherwise.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Moo the cow posted:

Yeah, it's still March and I'll fight anyone who says otherwise.
The hell it is, after 37 months of smarchtobuary I'm ready for 2020 to end.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Yawgmoth posted:

The hell it is, after 37 months of smarchtobuary I'm ready for 2020 to end.

Gesundheit!

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Sundae posted:

I literally just bought a place a month ago., so I'll be staying here for a bit. Plus, I like Genentech. It's really not bad! ;)

You work for Genentech? FYI- your clinical management people are a pain in the rear end to work with. The most annoyingly micromanage-y pharma co I’ve ever done work for.

My wife and I are thinking about moving back to RTP. Our previous neighbor was the comptroller for UNC chapel hill and moved back to Raleigh as a real estate agent, so we got the hook up.

E: Shionogi was probably the most pain in the rear end to deal with to date, but Genentech is a close second

Cacafuego fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Jul 28, 2020

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Maybe someone here would have some ideas or advice on pushing a new product idea on the inside. I (still) work at a big B2B software company and recently we had a "intrapreneurship" competition where some chosen ideas were given advice and resources to develop further. Pretty late on I came up with something that is kind of in the same general industry as my independent startup idea I've been kicking around for a bit, but solves en entirely different problem for a different audience. I pitched it as a companion product to our existing solution that would increase our addressable market and open new revenue streams. Unfortunately it didn't get selected and they provided no feedback.

Still I think there's some potential here, at the very least to get some startup experience. Unfortunately I'm kind of stuck now - I don't know anyone on the product side (architects, devs, product owners) and taking this independent (potential legal issues aside) as a stand-alone solution would probably be challenging because of missing functionality or having to compete with our own product if those features are added.

There are a couple of people with sales and business development experience I could try to bring onboard. They might have someone in their networks, but it seems like I'd be giving up influence even before anything got really started. Really frustrating that I have no one IRL to bounce some ideas off.

Moo the cow posted:

Also great for when you are a lazy bastard whilst working from home, but want to pretend that you are at your laptop and working hard at 9.05am

God bless advanced email features that most people are u aware of.
Even better to set it to send at like 9pm to make it look like you're making great sacrifices for a task that took 15 minutes.

In case someone calls you out on this, it's possible it was just stuck in "outgoing":

Thanatosian posted:

Among a lot of other stuff, part of my job (in IT) is escalations from desktop, sometimes about home office stuff. I can tell you this: our internet infrastructure in this country loving sucks. Anytime I'm getting "I'm disconnecting from the core software and phones," it's always network. We've found that using an ethernet cable resolves about 85% of problems where it's tried. The other 15% or so just have internet that's too lovely, or roommates streaming Netflix. For us, it's usually not the down that's the problem (we actually don't use anything terrifically bandwidth-intensive), it's the up speed, where some people are lucky to see 5mbps up, while pulling 90 mbps down.

We don't want to support home networks, so the ethernet cable is the simplest solution, where viable. A lot of people don't like it, but we'll send a 100' ethernet cable to whoever. I highly recommend it if you're having issues; home wireless routers frequently also suck, because people buy whatever's cheapest, or just use whatever they get from their ISP. I have gigabit fiber, and the ISP gave me a router that couldn't even do wireless AC.
Just gonna second this. I've had horrible issues with our VPN solutions for days, it'd just randomly lose connection every couple of minutes before reconnecting. But it was enough to drop calls, interrupt sessions etc. I opened a ticket and IT couldn't do poo poo. Turned out it was a problem with the built-in WiFi card (at least in combination with my router). Using ethernet or even a $10 chinese USB card solved the problem :shrugs:

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
I have a ton of issues with VPN but I have an ethernet connection and it's still hosed.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
I found the 1990s. They were hiding in our corporate intranet.

"https://internalcompanysiteURL/searchscript.php"

Just need to go get some PERL going and we're all set.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

mobby_6kl posted:

Maybe someone here would have some ideas or advice on pushing a new product idea on the inside. I (still) work at a big B2B software company and recently we had a "intrapreneurship" competition where some chosen ideas were given advice and resources to develop further. Pretty late on I came up with something that is kind of in the same general industry as my independent startup idea I've been kicking around for a bit, but solves en entirely different problem for a different audience. I pitched it as a companion product to our existing solution that would increase our addressable market and open new revenue streams.

Well there's where you hosed up son. Re-read the paperwork you signed when they hired you. Look for the part about inventions and assignments. You likely just made things very complicated for yourself.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Never, ever give your employer ideas you could feasibly market by yourself. :v:

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

mobby_6kl posted:

I (still) work at a big B2B software company and recently we had a "intrapreneurship" competition where some chosen ideas were given advice and resources to develop further.

I pitched it as a companion product to our existing solution that would increase our addressable market and open new revenue streams. Unfortunately it didn't get selected and they provided no feedback.

Still I think there's some potential here, at the very least to get some startup experience. Unfortunately I'm kind of stuck now - I don't know anyone on the product side (architects, devs, product owners) and taking this independent (potential legal issues aside) as a stand-alone solution would probably be challenging because of missing functionality or having to compete with our own product if those features are added.

There are a couple of people with sales and business development experience I could try to bring onboard. They might have someone in their networks, but it seems like I'd be giving up influence even before anything got really started. Really frustrating that I have no one IRL to bounce some ideas off.

I’m a startup founder and had some reactions to what you said:
-as you surmised IP wise you might maybe have issues but don’t let that stop you
-100% of the successful (ipo or major acquisition) founder led startups I know of started selling it themselves. If the founder can’t sell it, it won’t work. 0% chance of success if you can’t sell it.
-if it solves a problem you have that you know others at your company have, great push it inside. Otherwise, sell it externally.
-large company people are usually bad at recognizing good opportunities. Don’t take encouragement or discouragement by not getting selected.
-solve one problem at first, don’t worry about missing functionality. Your first big risk is that your idea is bad. If the problem you solve is painful enough that people part with their money and they bitch, then maybe you have something.

Most of what I’m saying is better said by YCs startup school which is free and will give you in person and online people to bounce your idea off of.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
If there's one thing I hate more than meetings, it's being invited to meetings and then when the time comes, being told they had it earlier and forgot to tell me.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

SpartanIvy posted:

If there's one thing I hate more than meetings, it's being invited to meetings and then when the time comes, being told they had it earlier and forgot to tell me.

So ... you didn't have to attend a meeting? Sounds like a win.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Boss just said I'm free to go perma-remote so... My wardrobe's gonna change a whole lot :comfyoot:

That includes relocation, which is looking (again) more and more like something we'll be considering.

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

Plant life is taking its tole on me, i must he broken because i miss corporate. Been doing physical inventory all week, feeling very uncorporate.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
We have quite a serious investigation happening at work with people rather senior currently suspended. Apparently it concludes this time next week so I should be able to say more soon

But I just want to get something off my chest in the mean time.

One of the complainants confided in me their side of the story (pre covid we used to confide about managing our staff so a level of trust is there)

This person was clearly quite distressed and anxious about the investigation but I sensed they were exaggerating their anecdotes, probably as a reaction to the anxiety of having to wait for the investigation to conclude, whilst knowing the other party is guilty and should be gone - I assume it's the fear of the possibility they might be back.

This person just wanted to vent these anxieties at me, they also said they have done their fact finding bit of the interview, so there was no point in me picking holes in their story. I just hope they did a better job of sticking to facts when they were questioned.

There is loads of surrounding politics which I'll probably get into once we find out if this guy gets the sack or not, as that will reveal how much pull he has and with whom

It's a bit sick because something quite serious has happened but I do find it fascinating

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Just keep your mouth shut. Either the investigators are good in which case they will pick the same holes in the story or it's a kangaroo court in which case you want no part.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Lockback posted:

Just keep your mouth shut. Either the investigators are good in which case they will pick the same holes in the story or it's a kangaroo court in which case you want no part.

it's always the latter

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

Lockback posted:

Oh of course! I just ended up being a shoulder to cry on for someone involved. (Metaphorically, thankfully, no tears but we were close)

I think that's what I'm waiting to see. The guy has obviously done wrong, the witness is making a mess. So the investigator could say "hang on, stick to the facts and there is still plenty to hang this guy on"

Or they could say "this guy is very guilty but because the witness is spouting hyperbole it casts too much doubt for a guilty" (although there are at least 4 other witnesses who could be more or less calm than this particular one)

I've not seen the cold hard evidence but I sense the guy has done enough to go. It could end up in a 6 month project away from here until a new job appears or something. It's very curious

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
This story is so intentionally vauge that the guilty guy in question could have either slaughtered everyone in a village somewhere or stolen from petty cash.

You absolutely should keep facts out of here to not associate you with any part of the story leaking out

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Roundboy posted:

This story is so intentionally vauge that the guilty guy in question could have either slaughtered everyone in a village somewhere or stolen from petty cash.

You absolutely should keep facts out of here to not associate you with any part of the story leaking out

To be fair, we know that neither of those scenarios are possible: if he slaughtered a village, he'd have been promoted to CEO and if he stole petty cash, he'd have been fired on the spot.

But your point is a good one.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

I bet they printed an email without considering the environment first.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

Roundboy posted:

I'm probably being overly paranoid

Its somewhere in the middle. ;) I think I'll be able to spill a bit more soon. I believe it's getting concluded soon

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

stole from petty cash to hire akademi to raze a village?

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
Worse. Much, much worse. (grimacing, lifting a half-empty fish tin from the breakroom garbage while the ashen-faced rookie pukes in the corner)

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

spincube posted:

Worse. Much, much worse. (grimacing, lifting a half-empty fish tin from the breakroom garbage while the ashen-faced rookie pukes in the corner)
"he microwaved this whole thing."

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

theHUNGERian posted:

I bet they printed an email without considering the environment first.

:gonk:

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

spincube posted:

The best revenge when leaving a workplace is to stay late the night before your last dau and remove the bottom desk or file cabinet drawer of your nemesis, and stuff as much fresh raw shrimp underneath there as you can and still have it operate normally. It will take them some time to determine why their cubicle smells so bad and by then you are long gone.

See also tilapia in car vents and squid in catalytic converter.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006
Got an offer Friday and tenured my resignation as soon as my shift started. Jobs in Boston and I hate cities generally but staying at my current job was slowly killing me and I don't want to fall into the trap of taking a counter offer again.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Shrieking Muppet posted:

Got an offer Friday and tenured my resignation as soon as my shift started. Jobs in Boston and I hate cities generally but staying at my current job was slowly killing me and I don't want to fall into the trap of taking a counter offer again.

Nice!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Shrieking Muppet posted:

Do you mind telling us more of what happened last time you took a counter offer (or linking to it if you already posted about it in the past)? I'm curious, and more than that, it's always helpful to have such stories to point to when people periodically come into here or the Negotiation Thread and argue about why :actually: my situation is different and accepting the counter offer is a great idea in my case.