Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

EmmyOk posted:

How does Steam work with Ubuntu? If I install the client I can hardly play my games normally can I?

It will only let you play games that actually run on Linux.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

kapalama posted:

Also coconut husk fibers, depending on whether that is wood to you or not. There are also fibers made from nut husk material but not directly.

Are you thinking traditional manufacture? Or material sourcing?

Thanks for the answers. I was just curious and couldn't turn up anything on google.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Nintendo Kid posted:

It will only let you play games that actually run on Linux.

Is there a quick way to check which games in my library can be downloaded to linux?

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
Install steam on Ubuntu and look at the list

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

EmmyOk posted:

Is there a quick way to check which games in my library can be downloaded to linux?

On the Store they'll have a little Linux logo, there's no convenient way on Mac or Windows to see which games right in the library run in Linux.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Nintendo Kid posted:

On the Store they'll have a little Linux logo, there's no convenient way on Mac or Windows to see which games right in the library run in Linux.

It is installing now on my ubuntu, but very slowly because my internet doesn't do well when it rains. Thanks!

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Jonathan Yeah! posted:

How did Marble Hornets end? I got up to when Jay was wandering around a school, or something.

Alex is apparently overshadowed/mindcontrolled by Operator AKA slenderman. This happens after his GF finds a video camera and starts filming him, thus re-infecting him from his Marle Hornets time, or allowing Operator to find him. Operator shows up and the tape ends with them jumping out a window. Apparently Alex knew what/who Operator was.

Jay eventually finds Tim again and they team up, in a way. Tim is/was pissed at Jay initially lied about his reason for tracking down Tim but got past that once they both started getting stalked. Masky turns out to be Tim btw.

Tim has mental health problem since he was a child due to being stalked by Operator. There was an entry dedicated solely to this if you're interested. When his friend Brian tried out for Alex Kralie's Marble Hornets film, he was pushed into auditioning as well. That's how they all know each other. Jay and Tim fight, the reason being Tim had tapes he was withholding from Jay. I'm not sure what's happened to Jay. He was tied up by Tim in a house, but freed by Hooded Man, whois Tim's friend Brian. Brian dies in Entry 86. Jay was wounded in Entry 79 at Benedict Hall, and is either dead or on the run.

Alex and Tim remain. Alex burns down Tim's house, knowing that Tim's mental health problems stemmed from Operator 'haunting' him. The abandoned-school/-hospital/-??a factory?? is where the final act takes place. Tim mortally wounds and kills Alex, who is assisted by Opterator insofar that Operator is hindering Tim via teleporting him between multiple places. The end of Tim's tape of this incidence ends with Tim collapsed at the top of the stairs, bloody with Alex's and his blood.

I suggest watching the final tape from the timeline to see the end of the story. FYI most Entries has transcripts so you don't have to sit through 2-13 minutes of tinnitus inducing static shrieks.

All from the summary timeline here:

Dragyn posted:

Yes it was finished, there's a summary in the wiki it seems: http://marblehornets.wikidot.com/comprehensive-timeline

Most people here will tell you not to bother. I was a big follower of the series, but the third season really ruined the atmosphere they built by dragging it out way too long. The end was decent enough.

TATPants
Mar 28, 2011

Powered Descent posted:

I prefer to block them at the hosts file rather than use a browser plugin: http://someonewhocares.org/hosts/

Is this a real thing? It seems like a "too good to be true" situation.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

TATPants posted:

Is this a real thing? It seems like a "too good to be true" situation.

It actually doesn't block a lot of things and doesn't let you block site elements you don't like, but it will lock out a ton of ads and more importantly blocks a ton of malware domains and those used for malware command and control.

The best thing to do is to have the hosts file and have an actual adblocking extension in your browser. The hosts list gets like 90%,your adblock gets the rest.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I'm networking-stupid, is there any way to put that hosts file or a rough equivalent on a router so it affects all devices on your network (and therefore isn't lost every time I have to reformat my PC [loving hell not AGAIN :argh:])?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Ciaphas posted:

I'm networking-stupid, is there any way to put that hosts file or a rough equivalent on a router so it affects all devices on your network (and therefore isn't lost every time I have to reformat my PC [loving hell not AGAIN :argh:])?

Some third party router firmwares might allow it, but if you're having to reformat your computer often, you're probably not going to be able to dig through all the arcane necessary details. And even if you could you'd likely need a new router to do it.

Best to just slap a sticky note with the url to the site to re-download it on your computer.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

Ciaphas posted:

That site has some directions about how to load it onto your router. YMMV

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Looks like it does indeed require custom firmware for my Asus RT-AC66U. Last time I did custom router firmware was, god, five years ago maybe. What the hell, may as well give it a bash.

if i don't post again in ten minutes i internet-died

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

loving edit not reply argh

edit I'll just steal this to say hooray I'm not dead, but PuTTY chokes hard on trying to paste in that huge hosts file to vi :(

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Jul 29, 2015

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
Is there any way to stop things popping up in the youtube video window, those little overlays that say "if you like this video you'll love watching albert fish do some hosed up poo poo"

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Crankit posted:

Is there any way to stop things popping up in the youtube video window, those little overlays that say "if you like this video you'll love watching albert fish do some hosed up poo poo"

Go into your YouTube settings and under "Playback" is an option "Show annotations, channel promotions and interactive cards on videos". I think that should be what you want.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Tiggum posted:

Go into your YouTube settings and under "Playback" is an option "Show annotations, channel promotions and interactive cards on videos". I think that should be what you want.

Does this actually stick now? Last time I put some effort into turning those off I couldn't find anything that lasted beyond the current session.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
I am currently obsessed with making diy alcohol camping stoves. Is there something I can add to denatured alcohol to make the flame visible in daylight? It's annoying to do all my testing at night.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

Tiggum posted:

Thanks!

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

bunnielab posted:

I am currently obsessed with making diy alcohol camping stoves. Is there something I can add to denatured alcohol to make the flame visible in daylight? It's annoying to do all my testing at night.

I thought maybe table salt would work and this guy has some positive results using the same: http://hikethru.com/hiking-information/backyard-science/alcohol-stove

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.
Seeing a couple security questions floating around the past few pages. Security experts tend to agree that your top priorities should be keeping on top of those dump update popups, followed by using different passwords everywhere, and two-factor where you can. Our security operations guys recommend using Chrome or Firefox, setting plugins to be click-to-enable and using an ad blocker like uBlock Origin or Adblock Plus. A dumb amount of exploits are delivered just through flash ads on otherwise harmless websites. If you've got the ads blocked, and you only run flash explicitly where you want to, you're going a long ways towards keeping yourself safe.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

If I play a loud stereo in an apartment am I more likely to be heard by neighbors above, below, or to the sides?

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Below, if the stereo has a substantial subwoofer.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

dwarf74 posted:

So my kid picked this out of a loose action figures bin at the local comic shop for $2. I can't figure out who he is. Anyone recognize him?

I used to have that. It's a Karate Fighter.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Oscillatory belt, third dan.

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled

Baron Porkface posted:

If I play a loud stereo in an apartment am I more likely to be heard by neighbors above, below, or to the sides?

A tricky question that depends on a lot of factors. Is there a subwoofer? How big is it? What materials are used in the buildings construction? Are the floors carpet or hardwood? Is the ceiling sheetrock or is a drop-tile ceiling? I would agree with the initial assessment of downstairs just because the subwoofer's driver is pointing down. However, bass tends to travel in all directions so the difference may be imperceptible to the human ear

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Diabolik900 posted:

I used to have that. It's a Karate Fighter.
You are my hero. Thanks!!

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Does anyone have a clue what these doodads are? Baking? Though they're too small for cookie cutters.

American ruler for scale.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

I'm no expert, but they look like pastry bag tips to me.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
They look to me like what you might use to cut fancy holes in top pie crusts.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
making decorations out of icing

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

They're for decorative pooping.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
They're for making fancy XTC tablets

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

DNova posted:

I thought maybe table salt would work and this guy has some positive results using the same: http://hikethru.com/hiking-information/backyard-science/alcohol-stove

Thanks! Sadly, I knew about adding salt to the priming pan but I really want something I can mix into my fuel bottle and forget about.

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush

Wedemeyer posted:

Does anyone have a clue what these doodads are? Baking? Though they're too small for cookie cutters.

American ruler for scale.

These are for cookies. They attach to a pastry bag or press.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Diabolik900 posted:

I'm no expert, but they look like pastry bag tips to me.

I'm not sure that'd work. . . .

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

They look to me like what you might use to cut fancy holes in top pie crusts.

:confused: But that would free the blackbirds

spog posted:

making decorations out of icing

Icing is soft and tasty though. You can't stamp icing, silly.

Flipperwaldt posted:

They're for decorative pooping.

Popping what?

EricBauman posted:

They're for making fancy XTC tablets

:stare: grandma!

[thank you every one + XmasGiftFromWife, I will ice up some poo poo immediately!]

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Hey do old people understand emoticons? When a republican politician looks at this picture does he think "haha that stupid rear end in a top hat accidentally put random punctuation on his card instead of a picture"?

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

ChairMaster posted:

Hey do old people understand emoticons? When a republican politician looks at this picture does he think "haha that stupid rear end in a top hat accidentally put random punctuation on his card instead of a picture"?

I imagine that old people deal with pareidolia just as much as younger people do. Especially when you don't even need to tilt your head to see the resemblance.

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush

Wedemeyer posted:

[thank you every one + XmasGiftFromWife, I will ice up some poo poo immediately!]

Google press cookies. That is what they are for. Not icing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

ChairMaster posted:

The first (modern) emoticons were being used by people who were in their 20s through 40s in the 80s, so I'd say a reasonable amount of people coming up on retirement age would get it.