Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

The Deleter posted:

Hussie has done a lot of pointing and laughing at traditional story and hero clichés/templates in later acts, so it's not unreasonable he'd subvert it again and go back to a more traditional but suitably Hussie-esque ending with a clear victory. I'm going to point to Brain!Dirk's emphatic "Jake believes in me" as a sign so this doesn't look like totally unfounded conjecture.

Best Karkat moment is when Sollux is telling him not to run a virus and Karkat runs it anyway because he's a stubborn little twat.

I posit that the best Karkat moment is when he gets trapped in a recursive loop of arguing with himself from ten minutes ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Yeah, the epilogue of Problem Sleuth convinces me he won't shy away from doing a somewhat more traditional, gratifying ending rather than a joke anticlimax.

I do remember thinking there was no way he could get a handle on the runaway story around the end of Act 5, but Cascade proved that wrong and really pulled everything together in an effective way. This time, though, things feel like an order of magnitude more messy and convoluted and I'm skeptical he can pull off such a feat again, but he's certainly taking the right steps to try like taking a hiatus and plenty of time to work it all out.

Hussie's made a real habit of shunting development off-screen, defusing interesting conflicts or confrontations, ending showdowns with anticlimaxes and just generally enjoying messing with our expectations. Anything that seems like it's getting too serious he's quick to undercut, which can be funny but doesn't help if he's trying to build up to the climax. Hopefully not having to write in a joke every update for serial readers will help him drop that particular habit.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

I am also hoping for an happy ending, or at least as happy as it can get given the circumstances. I think Hussie can pull it off.

Going back to what is clearly the more important issue here: the best Karkat moment is his memo with John and Dave, the one with the shipping grid.

Jizz Festival
Oct 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Do you actually say this? An happy? An 'appy?

I don't get why people do this and I know this is a weird place for this conversation but I need to know.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

paradoxGentleman posted:

Going back to what is clearly the more important issue here: the best Karkat moment is his memo with John and Dave, the one with the shipping grid.

Oh god, yeah. "Outfoxed by simple utensils buckaroo".

Also I retract my previous statement. Karkat's best moment is "I'M PUTTING YOU ON SPEAKER CRAB."

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Jizz Festival posted:

Do you actually say this? An happy? An 'appy?

I don't get why people do this and I know this is a weird place for this conversation but I need to know.

The decision of which indefinite article to use is based on the pronunciation, not the spelling, of the word, when it is written rather than spoken. In some accents, a leading "h" is silent, in which case it is appropriate to use "an" rather than "a."

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Karkat, as a character, is a series of Best Moments. He's creative enough to be fun, hostile enough to be interesting but ineffectual enough to be lovable, all wrapped around a heart of gold that makes him a sympathetic character.

Jizz Festival
Oct 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Bongo Bill posted:

The decision of which indefinite article to use is based on the pronunciation, not the spelling, of the word, when it is written rather than spoken. In some accents, a leading "h" is silent, in which case it is appropriate to use "an" rather than "a."

Yes which is why I'd like to know what the poster in question actually says. I've seen plenty of Americans write "an history" despite not saying "an 'istory" and if that's the case here I need answers.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Parsley posted:

I took it to mean that he's intentionally written to be accidentally amusing? In that, Karkat as a character believes himself to be pretty serious but all he's doing is throwing hilarious tantrums.

Yeah, pretty much this. Karkat is hilarious, but never because he's trying to be hilarious - most of the time because he's desperately trying NOT to be.

He's also way more hilarious if you know someone in real life who's exactly like that!

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

Seoinin posted:

Oh god, yeah. "Outfoxed by simple utensils buckaroo".

Also I retract my previous statement. Karkat's best moment is "I'M PUTTING YOU ON SPEAKER CRAB."

"Nah man dont put me on speaker crab"

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Just like Equius, there isn't a single chat with Karkat that isn't hilarious. It's just that Karkat has been in a LOT more chatlogs than Equius, and never seems to get old.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I know I'm in the minority here, but I still say pretty much every one of the early Gamzee chatlogs is gold.

I mean, Karkat is still the best character though, no question.

Parsley
Jul 17, 2012

Blackheart posted:

Just like Equius, there isn't a single chat with Karkat that isn't hilarious. It's just that Karkat has been in a LOT more chatlogs than Equius, and never seems to get old.

Equius shot up to becoming one of my favourites after 'horse dick poetry', I can not deny it.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Jizz Festival posted:

Yes which is why I'd like to know what the poster in question actually says. I've seen plenty of Americans write "an history" despite not saying "an 'istory" and if that's the case here I need answers.

It's blindly taught for "proper" written English, which I think is based on received pronunciation, aka Queen's English. Since it's drilled into lots of kids in the same manner as other made-up or outdated "rules", lots of people write that way habitually even though it bears no resemblance to their speech.

It's not worth getting worked up over though, once you realise that there are a million other ways that written English barely resembles the language as spoken ("wh-" was/is pronounced "hw-", the christ?)

EmperorFritoBandito
Aug 7, 2010

by exmarx

Seoinin posted:

My favorite Karkat moment is that one scene where he's just sadly talking to himself about Troll Christmas.

The Deleter posted:

Best Karkat moment is when Sollux is telling him not to run a virus and Karkat runs it anyway because he's a stubborn little twat.

Oxxidation posted:

I posit that the best Karkat moment is when he gets trapped in a recursive loop of arguing with himself from ten minutes ago.

The best Karkat moment was Penis Ouija, which is also the best part of the comic in general. :colbert:

Y'all are high or something.

EmperorFritoBandito fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Dec 17, 2013

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

EmperorFritoBandito posted:

The best Karkat moment was Penis Ouija, which is also the best part of the comic in general. :colbert:

Y'all are high or something.

That was Dave's party and everyone knows it.

Indie Rocktopus
Feb 20, 2012

In the aeroplane
over the sea

Oxxidation posted:

That was Dave's party and everyone knows it.

Are you sure man? That's the spooky thing about penis ouija, you can never be sure who did the dicks. Was it you or me or maybe a ghoooost???

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Does anyone know when Hussie's next magnum opus, Namco High is supposed to drop? We're in the right forum for it if it's soon, won't even need a new thread. I'd heard it's tomorrow but can't remember where I heard it.

Angry Walrus
Aug 31, 2013

Quinn it
to
Win it.
It drops tomorrow, George Rohac (one of the producers) has had a countdown on his blog for it.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
I lost the thread of the plot somewhere around the same time of the Meenah walkabouts that I skipped, and sort of muddled through the rest of the plot with no idea about who's doing what or why and am now awaiting the final flash with nothing more than the numb understanding that I will still have no idea what's going on. I can't remember why Arenea is in service to Lord English, why the HIS is interested in anything for any reason, what the original trolls and the original kids were planning on doing, that one thing with Diamonds Droog using Red Miles (which wasn't that a Game Over button for the universe or what?) something something Karkat gave a universe cancer, there's some kind of Tribute or Trade that Dave maybe did with the Forge or something? Some kind of Question that needs to be Asked of a Denizen? Did we figure out how to awaken the fishes or w/e with Rose and her planet, or is that not important? How does Rose's 'actual mom' know about the game? Why cherubs? There's a red sun versus a green sun? Are the horrorterrors doing anything?

And then the leadup to the finale happened and I honestly can't remember why half of the people are there.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

RoboCicero posted:

I lost the thread of the plot somewhere around the same time of the Meenah walkabouts that I skipped, and sort of muddled through the rest of the plot with no idea about who's doing what or why and am now awaiting the final flash with nothing more than the numb understanding that I will still have no idea what's going on. I can't remember why Arenea is in service to Lord English, why the HIS is interested in anything for any reason, what the original trolls and the original kids were planning on doing, that one thing with Diamonds Droog using Red Miles (which wasn't that a Game Over button for the universe or what?) something something Karkat gave a universe cancer, there's some kind of Tribute or Trade that Dave maybe did with the Forge or something? Some kind of Question that needs to be Asked of a Denizen? Did we figure out how to awaken the fishes or w/e with Rose and her planet, or is that not important? How does Rose's 'actual mom' know about the game? Why cherubs? There's a red sun versus a green sun? Are the horrorterrors doing anything?

And then the leadup to the finale happened and I honestly can't remember why half of the people are there.

-Aranea isn't in service to Lord English. She thinks she can be the hero by coming to life, forcing a beta-timeline where Lord English never happens, then using her god-tier powers as a healer to "heal" the timeline and make it Alpha. There's no reason to believe she can do this besides Serket arrogance, so she's just loving poo poo up.

-HIS... do you mean HIC? The Condesce? All she cares about is herself. She served Lord English when he was her only ticket out of a dying universe, but as soon as she saw her chance she made a play to mind control two important players and lock up several others. Her hope is to escape into a new universe and rule it without having to deal with Lord English.

-The original trolls (who are still alive) and the original kids didn't really have any plan at all. They made plans to get out of their dying universes and escape into the new session, hopefully leaving Bec Noir behind, but then that three year gap happened and they didn't do much of anything. They either didn't know what to expect (John, as usual, is oblivious) or stopped planning due to personal problems (Rose's drinking, Dave's fear of being a hero). They're just bumble-loving along.

-Red Miles is just an attack the ring gives you. Bec Noir used it on the Genesis Frog that represents the universe, so that's why it destroyed the universe that time.

-Karkat giving a universe cancer is just Karkat blaming himself like always. He helped Kanaya, their session's space player, breed the Genesis Frog which represents the next universe, but he hurried her and it came out flawed. I don't think it mattered much in the end since Bec Noir murdered it anyway.

-Pretty much everything to do with Sburb and the Denizens and stuff has become pretty obsolete and forgotten. Rose doing stuff with the rain was part of her personal planetary quest and meant to represent some character growth, but she never got round to it and probably never will.

-Rose's actual mom knew about the game because she was connected to the company that Jade's Grandpa funded. There was probably some sort of conspiracy involving the guardians who seemed to know a little bit about what was going to happen, but not enough to do much about it. They probably all died knowing less about what was going on than their kids.

-The cherubs were introduced to provide some backstory for Lord English and to help foreshadow how he'll be defeated. It's still unclear how exactly Calliope and Caliborn relate to Lord English, Caliborn might actually become him at some point or he might be some kind of authorial avatar for Caliborn.

-The red sun is just the sun Caliborn and Calliope's home planet was orbiting around, nothing particularly special about it. It's not *against* the green sun, it's just being used for contrast.

-The horrorterrors aren't doing much of anything anymore. Lord English has been popping their dream bubbles trying to find Calliope's ghost and that's clearly killing them as collateral, but they're not really interacting with anyone.

Hopefully that covers everything and I haven't got any of it wrong.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

RoboCicero posted:

Others will have better and more detailed explanations, but here goes:

1. Aranea is trying to stop Lord English by creating an offshoot timeline where he never succeeds and then using her god-tier powers to make that offshoot the alpha timeline. This is a Serket idea and is thus incredibly stupid and mainly an effort to make herself the center of the action

2. HIC is trying to bring back the empire and screw over Lord English behind his back. She's trying to get all the kids to follow her plans to use Earth as the new homeworld for a resurrected troll race in the next universe. This plan wasn't all that hot, but was severely disrupted by Aranea's even worse one.

3. They were planning on regrouping and coming up with a plan. Instead, because they're teenagers, they hosed about with relationship drama and dream bubbles and getting addicted to things they shouldn't.

4. Diamonds Droog was using Red Miles on Derse to seek out and kill Dirk and Roxy because they're so good at hiding and the miles are supposedly impossible to get away from. Circumstantially Simultaneous to that, Bec Noir's Red Miles attack on the entire universe that the trolls created was reaching Earth. They're two entirely separate attacks that just look like they're the same.

5. Because Karkat skipped a crucial sequence in creating the new universe (that the kids live in), the universe has something drastically wrong with it. We're not sure whether or not it's The Tumor that was used to create the Green Sun or not, but come on. It's named THE TUMOR.

6. You're probably thinking of Davesprite, but either way no details on this deal were revealed.

7. It seems like when someone playing the game meets up with a denizen, they're supposed to be faced with a crucial choice to make which has major consequences for the session/everything. The ones we know about are Jade's/Kanaya's (take basically the entire instance with you to the new universe and get the final sequence for the DNA) and the one Caliborn faced (sacrifice your life to prevent a great evil/try to win an unwinnable scenario to attain ultimate power)

8. That was never answered because she decided to tell her entire questline to gently caress off.

9. Uncertain how the guardians know about the game. Maybe as they're part of the game they will naturally come into information about the game and what they should do to help those they're guarding.

10. Cherubs are there to make fun of fandom. I mean, they're also there to explain why Lord English looks the way it does, but it's basically just to make fun of fandom.

11. The red sun is just a supergiant that earth got parked in front of somehow. There's no "vs" about it.

12. They're trying to survive Lord English's killing all of them by putting up dream bubbles to distract him and by doing things like contacting Rose to try and get tools to fight back. It's not going very well.

e: and goddammit someone else beat me to it with better explanations.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
So am I the only one who found it way more interesting when the actual game was still a thing to pay attention to? I remember being hyped about the denizens and the kids meeting them and maybe even having to fight with them, and it looks like sincerely everything connected to the game has been completely forgotten and thrown away.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

ProfessorCirno posted:

So am I the only one who found it way more interesting when the actual game was still a thing to pay attention to? I remember being hyped about the denizens and the kids meeting them and maybe even having to fight with them, and it looks like sincerely everything connected to the game has been completely forgotten and thrown away.

No, you're not the only one. There's been glimpses of the game stuff in Act 6, like Jane's Myst adventure and the strange game loopholes that allowed Caliborn to become so powerful, but otherwise the game system's pretty much entirely collapsed. Streamlining out an exact account of the players' current grist levels is fine, but some of the charm of Act 5 was the sense of being inside a corrupted video game as it slowly collapsed in on itself.

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

ProfessorCirno posted:

If the Homestuck game ends up being a continuation of the story i've gotten really tired of now instead of a Sburb game where you make your own adventure i'm going to be really salty about the 200$ I donated in my own hubris.

EmperorFritoBandito
Aug 7, 2010

by exmarx

whowhatwhere posted:

5. Because Karkat skipped a crucial sequence in creating the new universe (that the kids live in), the universe has something drastically wrong with it. We're not sure whether or not it's The Tumor that was used to create the Green Sun or not, but come on. It's named THE TUMOR.

Jack's the cancer, empowered by the tumor and driven by Gamzee's Rube Goldberg plan to make him wear ugly clothes.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Angry Walrus posted:

It drops tomorrow, George Rohac (one of the producers) has had a countdown on his blog for it.

Is there a link to this, if it's hours? I couldn't find it on his tumblr or any of the other blogs.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

zolthorg posted:

If the Homestuck game ends up being a continuation of the story i've gotten really tired of now instead of a Sburb game where you make your own adventure i'm going to be really salty about the 200$ I donated in my own hubris.

I really hope they rename it Sburb and just make Homestuck a specific instance of it. That part has always been far more interesting than...whatever it is now.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Grrl Anachronism posted:

Is there a link to this, if it's hours? I couldn't find it on his tumblr or any of the other blogs.

I think the countdown they were talking about was this (and corresponding images at 48 and 72 hours), so nothing quite that specific.

Angry Walrus
Aug 31, 2013

Quinn it
to
Win it.

Grrl Anachronism posted:

Nah, it was just a countdown of days for just the last three days.

edit: beaten

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

drat. I was hoping to figure out whether I would have a chance to play it before bed, but I will just check it in the morning.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

oh my god, how did I catch up on this poo poo. I haven't read this since the scratch shenanigans and the 3 year trip started.

binge. 3 days is too little time.

God I love Homestuck :geno:

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

Pladdicus posted:

God I love Homestuck :geno:

Statistically, you'll feel quite different about it once you finish catching up. Or maybe you won't, as an archival reader.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
The ShiftyLook twitter just announced that Namco High will be available at 5 PM US Pacific Time, 8 PM Eastern (about sixteen and a half hours from the time of this post).

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Meanwhile, an interview on Namco High came out.

http://www.siliconera.com/2013/12/16/namco-high-interview-never-expected-imagined-namco-dating-sim/

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Ananth Panagariya is on the Namco High writing team? That's cool, Ananth is a cool guy.

Angry Walrus
Aug 31, 2013

Quinn it
to
Win it.
The Namco High team is basically all super cool people which is why I went ahead and spent the money for the first "pack" tier. That, and the soundtrack.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

quote:

When trying to come up with an idea, I consulted with my team of advisors. I said "What about a dating sim? Maybe we should do one of those." They asked me if I was sure. I said yes, absolutely. [*months pass*] ...what’s a dating sim?

This guy :cripes:

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

I am actually a little worried about this. Isn't there the risk that he will not be taken seriously, if this is the first interview released in the game industry? I know that he already has a reputation because of MSPA, but still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
One thing that it takes a little while to realize about Andrew Hussie is that he doesn't just portray his sense of humor in the comic, he portrays it in real life too. I met him once way back near the start of Homestuck and seemed like a pretty nice guy, but he acts in real life basically the exact same way he acts on the internet (if a bit less talkative).

I do agree with you that there is the risk that he won't be taken seriously but at the same time I don't think he really cares.

Case in point here is Andrew Hussie climbing statues for some reason:

And, more importantly, holding aloft his most prized possession:

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Dec 17, 2013