Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
only if she has this outfit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Gammatron 64 posted:

I didn't realize that either until I saw it on iOS. I wonder if that version is less poo poo, because after years on th Wii looked like a fan game and not even an official product.

I'm one of the idiots who bought The After Years on Android and I'd say it's probably the best version of the After Years. If you didn't like AY before, you still won't like it now. The gameplay's been refined, a lot of things have been smoothed out, for better or for worse; the encounter rate is lower, in exchange overall EXP gain is higher, which is a nice change, but then also the Devil's Road was simplified to such an extent that it's just a straight line masquerading as a labyrinth. Kain's Holy Dragoon stat growth was readjusted so you're not as screwed out by stats if you let the Hooded Man level up. A bunch of other minutia fixes that make it the best version, but there's no saving that storyline. :negative:

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Coughing Hobo posted:

I'm one of the idiots who bought The After Years on Android and I'd say it's probably the best version of the After Years. If you didn't like AY before, you still won't like it now. The gameplay's been refined, a lot of things have been smoothed out, for better or for worse; the encounter rate is lower, in exchange overall EXP gain is higher, which is a nice change, but then also the Devil's Road was simplified to such an extent that it's just a straight line masquerading as a labyrinth. Kain's Holy Dragoon stat growth was readjusted so you're not as screwed out by stats if you let the Hooded Man level up. A bunch of other minutia fixes that make it the best version, but there's no saving that storyline. :negative:

How do the team attacks look in 3D?

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
Please change my name to "The Guff Machine"
One thing that they apparently changed about the iOS version of After Years that wasn't for the better was cutting out a large part of the final dungeon: basically, they removed most of the cameo bossfights and the floors they were on, replacing them with palette swaps of the various summons and compressing the items gotten from the missing floors into a much smaller area. Whether or not that's a good or a bad thing is a personal preference, though: I assume this was done so that they wouldn't have had to model/remodel a large number of bosses from previous games for what're basically throwaway fights, as opposed to just being able to take their sprites from the original games and throwing them in.

AnotherGamer fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Apr 23, 2015

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

AnotherGamer posted:

One thing that they apparently changed about the iOS version of After Years that wasn't for the better was cutting out a large part of the final dungeon: basically, they removed most of the cameo bossfights and the floors they were on, replacing them with palette swaps of the various summons and compressing the items gotten from the missing floors into a much smaller area. Whether or not that's a good or a bad thing is a personal preference, though: I assume this was done so that they wouldn't have had to model/remodel a large number of bosses from previous games for what're basically throwaway fights, as opposed to just being able to take their sprites from the original games and throwing them in.

Considering that final dungeon is some GameFAQs-grade fanboyism I'd be ok with it being cut entirely and the Mysterious Girl being made the actual Big Bad.

Attitude Indicator posted:

"We feel that every person within the party [in Final Fantasy VI] is a main character, but we feel Lightning is very impactful as the main female protagonist in the Final Fantasy series." Toriyama says. "Not only is she the first female protagonist, she is very powerful, cool, calm, and collected. So we believe that is another attractive feature of hers."

"Upon considering the development of Lightning Returns, throughout this Lightning Saga she has been depicted as this cool and powerful woman, but by the same measure she's been so cool that she's also come off as aloof. We want to expand on her character some so we can have everyone fall in love with her even more."

Toriyama please stop embarrassing yourself

Lightning Returns With a Retraining Order

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you
I remember when I was 12 I wished Square would have made an FF4-2 because it was my first FF and I loved the characters and setting

I guess if After Years had come out when I was still 12 I probably would have enjoyed it

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I'm kinda tempted to grab the TAY remake when it hits a Steam sale just to see how the 3D version works out. Though them cutting the long-as-gently caress final dungeon kinda sucks since 90% of the fun of that game was taking a shitload of characters and doing a massive boss rush against a giant variety of tough bosses and trying to strategy your way through them. The random encounters weren't even that bad in the final dungeon since the game gave you save/healing spots to change your party and restock items every two or three floors. Cut all that and you have a bunch of boring poo poo with a terrible story.

Did they at least remove the challenge dungeons?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

pretty soft girl posted:

I remember when I was 12 I wished Square would have made an FF4-2 because it was my first FF and I loved the characters and setting
poo poo man you were a dumb kid, when I was eight I knew a storybook ending when I saw one.

Well no, maybe I was the dumb kid. SE's the one that made a lovely cash-in sequel worth millions of dollars :v:

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Mega64 posted:

I'm kinda tempted to grab the TAY remake when it hits a Steam sale just to see how the 3D version works out. Though them cutting the long-as-gently caress final dungeon kinda sucks since 90% of the fun of that game was taking a shitload of characters and doing a massive boss rush against a giant variety of tough bosses and trying to strategy your way through them. The random encounters weren't even that bad in the final dungeon since the game gave you save/healing spots to change your party and restock items every two or three floors. Cut all that and you have a bunch of boring poo poo with a terrible story.

Did they at least remove the challenge dungeons?

I bought FF4 on steam recently when it was on sale and my only problem with it is how goddamned zoomed in the camera is when walking around towns and dungeons. You have absolutely zero peripheral vision and it's just obnoxious. I don't know why it didn't bother me more on handheld. I assume TAY is the same way since it was also designed for tablets.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

They should release a big pack of old Final Fantasy games (like 1 through 9) on a Wii U disc just so they can sell Final Fantasy Amiibos.

Wherein they print a million clouds and 15 of everything else globally and goons pay upwards of 80 bucks for their terra amiibos

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

i'd pay hardcore cash money for a sabin amiibo

AbsolutZeroGI
Sep 14, 2013

Don't tease the octopus kids!
I would love a Moogle amiibo... Or a chocobo. Would be boss and I would drop a lot of money on that.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
The Static Arts moogle and chocobo don't cost much more than an amiibo and are both pretty badass in my opinion.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
I don't think my wallet would be able to handle Final Fantasy Amiibos. Especially if we're talking FF IV, V, and VI.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Fungah! posted:

i'd pay hardcore cash money for a sabin amiibo

I'd pay hardcore cash for Sabin anything.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I would buy 3 Lightning Amiibos, one for each game.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

abagofcheetos posted:

Square is hosting their own E3 conference?????!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!

http://na.square-enix.com/us/blog/square-enix-e3-2015-conference

I, for one, welcome the Eidos power hour once again. Tomb Raider, Deus Ex, Sleeping Dogs Triad Wars, and reveal for the new Hitman game.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Sunning posted:

Sleeping Dogs Triad Wars

I looked this up on Wikipedia a while back to see if there was ever gonna be a new Sleeping Dogs and my interest in it died immediately

Why can't they just make a normal sequel where I get to drive around Hong Kong and beat up more guys

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Help Im Alive posted:

I looked this up on Wikipedia a while back to see if there was ever gonna be a new Sleeping Dogs and my interest in it died immediately

Why can't they just make a normal sequel where I get to drive around Hong Kong and beat up more guys

Because that doesn't make Call of Duty money.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Help Im Alive posted:

It's also a free to play microtransaction insanity, I believe. Complete bummer to waste that potential so quickly.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Help Im Alive posted:

Darrell Gallagher- Head of Product Development and Studios at Square Enix posted:

This level of engagement is exciting as a developer. For Sleeping Dogs this continued support has now enabled us to turn this into a profitable game for the business, a critical milestone for a new intellectual property and something I’ve seen our sales, marketing and studio teams across Europe and America work hard together to achieve. It also shows that we are creating content which is keeping millions of people entertained enough to want to spend their time in our world.

Overall as a games business – studios and publishing - we have walked away too early from some of the worlds that we have invested so much time and energy in. If we were to ask people that loved our games whether they would enjoy new content or deeper experiences in these digital playgrounds the answer would overwhelmingly be “yes”.

And for me, this is where the future starts. We see the opportunity for some of our games continuing beyond a traditional beginning, middle, and end. We can have them become extendable and more persistent - with an opportunity to build and grow across games. To design in a way to keep our games alive for years instead of weeks. I’m not talking about an MMORPG – although the concept is similar - I’m talking about creating persistent online experiences built on the foundations of the games we are well known for. Now, this doesn’t apply to every game, there is no one solution that works in every case, but as a wider goal it’s certainly something which some of our franchises are incredibly well suited to and something I want to explore further.

http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/DarrellGallagher/20130822/198839/How_do_you_tackle_industry_change.php

Management wants games that they can provide a stream of revenue over a long period of time through a focus on online features. If a traditional Sleeping Dogs 2 was greenlit after the sales of the first game, then it was probably turned into Triad Wars after the great post-FFXIV 1.0 purge. United Front is also working with Nexon on F2P game.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Help Im Alive posted:

Yeah, it's crazy bad too. oh no i broke my nda

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
Grinding limits in FF7 sucks.

I'm not even sure why I'm doing besides an OCD need to use up all these limit manuals I got.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

MarsDragon posted:

Grinding limits in FF7 sucks.

I'm not even sure why I'm doing besides an OCD need to use up all these limit manuals I got.

Nah man, for the ones that require you to kill a certain number of enemies you can just go to the crystal cave equip someone with enemy skill and use matra magic all day in the room with like 4 or 5 enemies per fight. For the limits that require you to use the first limit a ton just equip cover(?) and hit them with hypers till their furied and go run around wherever you'd take a decent amount of damage. End game that would be the Sunken Plane probably.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Good loving god, The After Years is getting a 3D remake on Steam. I regret playing that game on the PSP version, why the gently caress would I waste my money on it again?

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

I mean, TAY 3D got rid of the parts of it I liked.

The Challenge Dungeons and the hilariously massive Final Dungeon, so what's the point?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Good loving god, The After Years is getting a 3D remake on Steam. I regret playing that game on the PSP version, why the gently caress would I waste my money on it again?

Because they made it so why not put it on pc for more money

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Dr Pepper posted:

I mean, TAY 3D got rid of the parts of it I liked.

The Challenge Dungeons and the hilariously massive Final Dungeon, so what's the point?

:wtf: Really? I mean, I quit playing halfway through the Final Dungeon, but the Challenge Dungeons were the only reason I even continued playing up until that point. gently caress Square Enix.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

Epi Lepi posted:

Nah man, for the ones that require you to kill a certain number of enemies you can just go to the crystal cave equip someone with enemy skill and use matra magic all day in the room with like 4 or 5 enemies per fight. For the limits that require you to use the first limit a ton just equip cover(?) and hit them with hypers till their furied and go run around wherever you'd take a decent amount of damage. End game that would be the Sunken Plane probably.

Yeah, I'm on the Gelkina, it's just that three times now Tifa's gotten a full limit, then got wiped before I could heal her because she went and Covered someone. One time I was literally doing her reels when that happened. She's got full endgame armour, so...I guess I should just move her to the back or something. Everyone in the back but Cloud.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

MarsDragon posted:

Yeah, I'm on the Gelkina, it's just that three times now Tifa's gotten a full limit, then got wiped before I could heal her because she went and Covered someone. One time I was literally doing her reels when that happened. She's got full endgame armour, so...I guess I should just move her to the back or something. Everyone in the back but Cloud.

Definitely move everyone to the back, that's probably what's making it a slog.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Soon you can get FF characters in puzzle and dragons which is basically amiibos right ?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Gammatron 64 posted:

I'd pay hardcore cash for Sabin anything.

You can whale in FFRK for his relic weapon once the Figaro bros event comes around. :retrogames:

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Sunning posted:

I, for one, welcome the Eidos power hour once again. Tomb Raider, Deus Ex, Sleeping Dogs Triad Wars, and reveal for the new Hitman game.

It should actually be pretty good. On top of all those FFXV (with a release date?), almost certainly a new KH3 trailer, XIV stuff, Type-1?, something DQ?, and I'm going to dream big and say a new TWERTY. But even if all of that speculative stuff is a no-show they have enough in the pipeline to give a good show anyway.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

CottonWolf posted:

It should actually be pretty good. On top of all those FFXV (with a release date?), almost certainly a new KH3 trailer, XIV stuff, Type-1?, something DQ?, and I'm going to dream big and say a new TWERTY. But even if all of that speculative stuff is a no-show they have enough in the pipeline to give a good show anyway.

At most we'll get a release window for FFXV, and release details for Dragon Quest Heroes.

Next-Jin Engine
Dec 7, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yZXjxuoEGA

Just in time for Evo 2015, little bit late for April 1st.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Next-Jin Engine posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yZXjxuoEGA

Just in time for Evo 2015, little bit late for April 1st.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Minfilia stealing the pose was the highlight of the video :allears:

Oppai Garlean style

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

This after the guy's website has been "temporarily" down for the last month, right before the game was supposed to be released.

Maybe it's just me but I keep getting a kick out of this whole Mystic Quest HD trainwreck.

e: I also like how the twitter feed is 99% Likes of random RPG Let's Play videos.

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Apr 26, 2015

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool
From a distance, the Kisareth logo looks like a hand with an extended thumb and middle finger. That seems oddly appropriate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

TARDISman posted:

At most we'll get a release window for FFXV, and release details for Dragon Quest Heroes.

FFXIV: Heavensward will probably be the big focus from the Japanese side. SE has started to become an online/mobile publisher in earnest. Last year, they didn't have many major retail releases. However, were profitable due to revenue from MMO/mobile/digital distribution. They recently succeeded with a Telltale episodic model with Life is Strange.

It'll be interesting what direction they will take their Japanese AAA retail games since their Japanese side is more successful with online/mobile games. The current AAA market is unforgiving to anything that isn't a shooter with a multiplayer component, an open world game with sandox gamepaly/a bunch of bars to fill, or a licensed sports game. A lot of Eidos games can fit that mold. Deus Ex is now a a stealth action shooter with RPG gameplay. The new Tomb Raider game will have its multiplayer developed in-house at Crystal Dynamics. Just Cause 2 sold 6 million copies over three years.

However, their Japanese AAA lineup will have its work cut out for them. They're not games like Resident Evil or Metal Gear which can appeal to shooter fans in overseas markets. They also face the issue of the domestic Japanese market contracting while overseas markets become more difficult to compete in. It honestly doesn't seem that big of a concern since their mobile games are largely successful, their HD remasters do well, MMO subscription rates are stable, and Eidos games fit the current AAA landscape. It's just an identity change from when Final Fantasy and JRPGs in general defined the company.