Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

exquisite tea posted:

Was that the one where Kratos abandons her via QTE.

That was badass

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

SkeletonHero posted:

No, but the original plan was for Kratos to meet Egyptian Kratos and Hindu Kratos after murdering their respective pantheons and then they see a bright star shining in the east.

3 angry gods strong enough and ferocious enough to murder their way through their entire pantheons single-handedly

vs

1 human baby

Seems like it would have been a short game.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Kratos fighting his way through Biblically accurate angles would be the loving poo poo.

Final boss is fighting God whose multistage battles includes him changing into the Holy Spirit and Jesus.

The crucifixion QTEs would be awesome.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
The 3 Gods of War are the original 3 wise men here to deliver gifts of a vicious rear end kicking.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Jaffe planned to have Kratos kill Zeus in 2, then 3 would be Kratos fighting the Norse and Egyptian pantheons moving into the power vacuum.

Balrog, when he directed 2, instead started setting up that Kratos was clearing out the Olympians to make room for Christianity to arise (with the Blade of Olympus meant to be Excalibur, the Spear of Destiny being a weapon, etc).

Asmussen, director of 3, instead went for atheistic aesthetic where the Olympians were the only gods and killing them fucks up the cosmos, leaving only Primordial Chaos by the end.

Then Barlog got a Nordic wife and formed babby, had a midlife crisis, and remade God of War into a Fatherhood game set in wife's culture.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

How babby is formed??

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

Biplane posted:

How babby is formed??

Circle, Circle, Triangle, Half circle left, Half circle right, Spin stick once in each direction, Rapidly spin stick, mash Circle.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

SkeletonHero posted:

Circle, Circle, Triangle, Half circle left, Half circle right, Spin stick once in each direction, Rapidly spin stick, mash Circle.

I have no time for this

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

haveblue posted:

I have no time for this

Doctor, coming out of ward, excited: it's a ...
Kratos, glowering:

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

I guess it's more than a little thing, but man I finished playing it takes two with my wife last weekend and that game is incredible

If I had to pick a single little thing, it's that the game really doesn't penalize death. So even as the puzzles and challenges get trickier it still remains super fun and never really gets frustrating

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

SkeletonHero posted:

Surely it's just hold back, forward-punch, it's not like he's Zangief

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

SkeletonHero posted:

Well poo poo. Now I have all these babby's.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Biplane posted:

Well poo poo. Now I have all these babby's.

Hello, my name is Ares. How would you like to solve two problems at once?

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

Elvis_Maximus posted:

I guess it's more than a little thing, but man I finished playing it takes two with my wife last weekend and that game is incredible

If I had to pick a single little thing, it's that the game really doesn't penalize death. So even as the puzzles and challenges get trickier it still remains super fun and never really gets frustrating

I can second this. My wife and I are playing through it right now. It's a lot of fun, not too difficult, lots of teamwork and puzzle solving. I really like the squirrel Street fighter on the plane.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

SkeletonHero posted:

No, but the original plan was for Kratos to meet Egyptian Kratos and Hindu Kratos after murdering their respective pantheons and then they see a bright star shining in the east.

Hindu Kratos, isn't that basically the Asura's Wrath guy?

Lobok posted:

3 angry gods strong enough and ferocious enough to murder their way through their entire pantheons single-handedly

vs

1 human baby

I'm more picturing an ultraviolent 3 Men And A Baby

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Hindu Kratos, isn't that basically the Asura's Wrath guy?

Now there’s a crossover I wanna see

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

One of the things I like about Unpacking is how it reveals little bits of story using the items you unpack and the 'right' places for them to go.

So, the game is a series of levels where you unpack the main character's belongings from moving boxes at various stages in her life: the first room she gets to herself as a kid, her college dorm room, etc. You get a bit of flexibility on where items can go, but there are 'wrong' places for items to go that you'll have to fix before you can finish the level.

Minor spoilers: One of the levels is the MC moving into a partner's apartment. One of the items you unpack is a picture of (presumably) the MC and her partner, which goes on the fridge.

The next level is the MC moving back into the room she had as a kid, now by herself. You unpack this same picture of the MC and her partner, and your first instinct will be to tack it to a corkboard along with all of your other photos and drawings. If you do this, one of the tacks will be placed through the partner's face, rather than in the corner of the photo. Also, the corkboard ends up being the 'wrong' place for the picture. The 'right' place? Hidden inside a cabinet, where you won't have to look at it.

Honestly the game is full of these little moments/observations, the developers did a good job telling the MC's story indirectly through how her possessions change over time, and also in capturing some of the challenges that come with moving ("I'm just going to move my partner's underwear to a different drawer so I can fit my socks in the dresser. Now why the hell did I put my left and right boots in different boxes?!")

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Lobok posted:

vs

1 human baby

Who would win? The answer might surprise you!!

Service 10.30 on Sunday, all are welcome

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Didn't Jesus have a "strike me down and I will become more powerful than you can possibly imagine" thing going on?

Edit: Religious Studies was quite a while ago, but I remember Pilate got a Fatality then Jesus said "this isn't even my final form!". Then he revealed his Stand.

Edit2: I had been taking a lot of cough medicine that week ao my recollections might not be completely accurate.

The Lone Badger has a new favorite as of 00:20 on Jan 27, 2022

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Paper Tiger posted:

One of the things I like about Unpacking is how it reveals little bits of story using the items you unpack and the 'right' places for them to go.

So, the game is a series of levels where you unpack the main character's belongings from moving boxes at various stages in her life: the first room she gets to herself as a kid, her college dorm room, etc. You get a bit of flexibility on where items can go, but there are 'wrong' places for items to go that you'll have to fix before you can finish the level.

Minor spoilers: One of the levels is the MC moving into a partner's apartment. One of the items you unpack is a picture of (presumably) the MC and her partner, which goes on the fridge.

The next level is the MC moving back into the room she had as a kid, now by herself. You unpack this same picture of the MC and her partner, and your first instinct will be to tack it to a corkboard along with all of your other photos and drawings. If you do this, one of the tacks will be placed through the partner's face, rather than in the corner of the photo. Also, the corkboard ends up being the 'wrong' place for the picture. The 'right' place? Hidden inside a cabinet, where you won't have to look at it.

Honestly the game is full of these little moments/observations, the developers did a good job telling the MC's story indirectly through how her possessions change over time, and also in capturing some of the challenges that come with moving ("I'm just going to move my partner's underwear to a different drawer so I can fit my socks in the dresser. Now why the hell did I put my left and right boots in different boxes?!")

There's something else in the level prior to that you missed; You can't move your partner's belongings - He was probably a controlling dickhead.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Also your diploma which goes on the wall wherever you go, proudly displayed, won't fit on any wall and needs to be put out of sight in that level.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Y'all sold me on unpacking and I installed it from gamepass last night. I think I'm on stage 4 now? I just finished unpacking her nerd house with d&d playing roommates

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

There's something else in the level prior to that you missed; You can't move your partner's belongings - He was probably a controlling dickhead.
I seem to recall you can actually, just not the posters on the walls and major decoration; but you do have to move his plates and clothes and stuff around to fit yours, which is a brilliant bit of design - it shows how concerned he is with appearance, how little thought he's given to you moving in, makes you feel like an intruder rather than a welcome partner (especially after the very accomodating previous move), and most of all highlights how the apartment is not fit for two and what a terrible idea that move is in general. All just through the game's one mechanic.

And the diploma has one spots where it fits. Above the toilet. Such a perfect insult to injury moment.

Although I think the game kind of ruins that great moment for itself later on: It wouldn't have worked out between them even if he'd been the most accomodating guy in the world. I thought in retrospect it came across a bit like setting up a villain just for the sake of having one.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Kitfox88 posted:

Now there’s a crossover I wanna see

that would be SICK

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
Man the valkyrie fights in God of War do not mess around. Very Dark Souls-y in the approach you have to take to them where you need to memorize their tells and know when it's safe to punish them. I cut my teeth on the one on top of Mt. Doom or whatever that place is which apparently was a bad idea because it's one of the harder ones in the game. Took me ~20 tries and the better part of an hour to kill her. It's funny how different it is from the rest of the game - where spamming runic powers and just beating enemies into submission works pretty well. If you go straight at Valkyries, they dismantle you pretty quickly (cannot be interrupted and only stagger if you counterattack at the proper times).

God of War has a lot of nice little quality of life things you barely even notice that it does to make players' lives easier. Little things that happen in the background so you barely even notice. Stuff like:

* If you just stand still when traveling with the Bifrost on the world tree, the game eventually figures out you're sick of it and will just open the door right in front of you rather than forcing you to run around.

* No manual saving at all. The game saves constantly with no player maintenance required.

* You don't have to worry about interrupting Mimir's stories by getting out of the boat/arriving at your destination because the next time you're traveling, Atreus will start up with "So hey, about that last thing you were talking about...?" and Mimir will resume his story.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Another nice detail is that Atreus will always stand in the direction of the critical story path so you know exactly where NOT to go when first exploring an area.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
Probably belongs in the other thread but I do NOT like the Mustafar / mist maze armor component grind - although I have the “don’t get hit” challenge down to a science now.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
You CAN interrupt valkyries using certain runic moves, and are throws when they are in the air. In fact, you HAVE to do that for the queen or she will put you in the ground.

Just finished the game last night and man, what a great game. Just completely enjoyable at every level from start to finish

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

You CAN interrupt valkyries using certain runic moves, and are throws when they are in the air. In fact, you HAVE to do that for the queen or she will put you in the ground.

Only at certain points where you are supposed to. The Mt. Doom Valkyrie did that too but I used Atreus’ shock arrows to knock her down. Most of their attacks are not interruptible though and they will wreck you if you try. Best case is you use your own uninterruptible runic vs. their attack, you’ll trade damage but that rarely ends in your favor.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
PS4 God of War really impressed me with how, versus the scale of the other games, boss fights still feel like a chip damage war between two powerful entities. It's one of the only games I've played where you (a normal size dude) are unable to stumble anything more than a head taller than you and you just swing at their ankles and they don't react, WITHOUT this detracting from the satisfaction of the combat at all. I could hack away at giant ankles and valkyries going hhhhuuuuuuuAAARRGGG for 10 straight seconds as they charge their spirit bomb all goddamn day without caring that they're not even flinching, the special effects when I hit em are enough to get across that my axe still hurts.

edit: Nier Automata is an example I feel of a game being dragged down by having awful hit feedback. Gorgeous animations with a lot of clear love put into them with no weight to the resulting attacks whatsoever. Enemies just freeze in place for a second and wiggle even if you launch them.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 16:30 on Jan 27, 2022

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

CJacobs posted:

PS4 God of War really impressed me with how, versus the scale of the other games, boss fights still feel like a chip damage war between two powerful entities. It's one of the only games I've played where you (a normal size dude) are unable to stumble anything more than a head taller than you and you just swing at their ankles and they don't react, WITHOUT this detracting from the satisfaction of the combat at all. I could hack away at giant ankles and valkyries going HUUUAAAAAARRGGG for 10 straight seconds as they charge their spirit bomb all goddamn day without caring that they're not even flinching, the special effects when I hit em are enough to get across that my axe still hurts.

The combat is extremely satisfying. Not sure who said the Dark elf captain guys were the worst in terms of annoying enemies - and they're up there for sure, but there aren't that many of them. My vote goes to those horrible teleporting witch things that come in different elemental flavors. You can't lock them down for long even with shock arrows and they absolutely have to be dealt with before you take on other enemies or they will ruin your day.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Frank Frank posted:

The combat is extremely satisfying. Not sure who said the Dark elf captain guys were the worst in terms of annoying enemies - and they're up there for sure, but there aren't that many of them. My vote goes to those horrible teleporting witch things that come in different elemental flavors. You can't lock them down for long even with shock arrows and they absolutely have to be dealt with before you take on other enemies or they will ruin your day.

The trick to those fuckers is light arrows and fists. You pop em with light arrows as you run up and then beat them into stagger, then do a finisher. Once you get the rhythm down they die instantly.

All of the enemy types can be horrifyingly annoying UNTIL you figure out the trick to them, which is awesome.

I loved the "Shattered Gauntlet of Ages" talisman that you socket certain enchantments into to make it a stupidly strong ranged nuke.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

The trick to those fuckers is light arrows and fists. You pop em with light arrows as you run up and then beat them into stagger, then do a finisher. Once you get the rhythm down they die instantly.

All of the enemy types can be horrifyingly annoying UNTIL you figure out the trick to them, which is awesome.

I loved the "Shattered Gauntlet of Ages" talisman that you socket certain enchantments into to make it a stupidly strong ranged nuke.

It’s an infinity gauntlet reference.

Later versions of those witch things don’t stun in 1 round of arrows/melee. I’ve found it more effective to lock them down with lightning arrows and then do a charged axe R2/use runic. Same for those little fuckers that dive underground. Shock + 1 charged R2 and they’re dead.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Frank Frank posted:

It’s an infinity gauntlet reference.

Yes, I know

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

The infinity gauntlet is the glove Thanos wore

<——————————

oldpainless has a new favorite as of 01:42 on Jan 28, 2022

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

oldpainless posted:

Until this past I actually forgot about that game sequence and generically misread "infinity gauntlet" as some game I didn't recognize.

Joke denied :smugbert:

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

oldpainless posted:

<——————————

Arrow's going to have to turn 90° to the right to point up to your av on the Awful app.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

You don’t browse the app while wearing your prop accurate replica of the gauntlet? I thought that was a rule or something.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Warbird posted:

You don’t browse the app while wearing your prop accurate replica of the gauntlet? I thought that was a rule or something.

Jeffrey has as an Infinity Gauntlet replica hooked up to the admin panel and he can ban people just by snapping his fingers. I learned this while I was a mod. Don't tell anyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

nine-gear crow posted:

Jeffrey has as an Infinity Gauntlet replica hooked up to the admin panel and he can ban people just by snapping his fingers. I learned this while I was a mod. Don't tell anyone.

You said you would never betray the Wu Tang secret, crow! What's wrong with u