Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

killstealing posted:

why are people defending this gay rear end bug

Because it's now a feature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Infinity Gaia posted:

Because it's now a feature.

Wait, that wasn't a joke post?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Granted I'm using the mace which probably has decent durability anyway. It's probably a lot more annoying if you're using a katana or something similar.

Back in Vanilla, I could kill literally everything in earthen peaks or any other area and not have my Mace, craftsman's hammer, shortsword, etc smaller weapon break. I thought all the talks about durability bugs were wildly exaggerated or even made up... Riiight until I started trying to use bigger weapons.

Then for example, my large club while wearing the bracing ring was basically balsa wood, because-

dis astranagant posted:

Pretty much anything that pokes or ground smashes gets wrecked on the last hit. And then there's garbage like the twinblade.

poo poo like this. One swing per kill loving murders the durability on things like that, compared to just swinging wildly, bashing walls, not giving the slightest of fucks with smaller weapons working out much better. Which is a shame because caveman combat is FUN.

killstealing posted:

why are people defending this gay rear end bug

Because putting up with it is a nice and easy way to say they are totally great at :darksouls:

Section Z fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Apr 8, 2015

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
So apparently nobody in Florida can connect to the servers, and Texas can't connect either. Goddammit Fromsoft.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

killstealing posted:

Wait, that wasn't a joke post?

No it wasn't.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

This game is great. I've only reached the second or third bonfire past Majula but thus far I've sussed out all of the classic Souls Dick Moves. Lone ranged enemy in the distance? Yeah, he's got a bunch of buddies lurking behind rocks all over the place. Dead bodies? Not dead :ssh:

Feels good so far. Can't wait until complacency sets in and I and promptly get crushed. I also can't wait until I get more weapons and armor so I can play dress up! :v:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

fennesz posted:

I also can't wait until I get more weapons and armor so I can play dress up! :v:

You've got the right attitude!

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Yeah, fashion souls is the best souls. Soon you too will be making red-skinned malformed-claw-wielding characters to Zoidberg is up.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Speaking of fashion, tons of people in Alva's set. It looks good yeah but I thought I was more special, guess I'm not :(

I did have a weird Sinner's Mask/Alva's Armor/Lion Mage Cuffs/Alva's Boots combo for going through Amana when I was abusing being a shade to get free estus/health restores.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
Quick question about the small white soapstone and how long it lasts... if I put my sign down in the tower apart and get summoned, I can make it through the royal swordsman swarm and the boss no problem. If I put it down in heide's ruin, I can't make it past the room with the three big knights without my duty being fulfilled. Does the size of the enemy or something affect how much longevity is subtracted with each kill? Also I swear being able to make it to old dragonrider before...

Edit: ok looks like some enemies do in fact reduce the time more than others, sometimes drastically so. Not a huge deal, if anything it'll make farming smooth and silky stones faster.

Kibbles n Shits fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Apr 8, 2015

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
I hope no one currently working at From, A or B team, work on multiplayer for the next Souls game. I hate dying with souls, not because I lose them, but because I'm slowly drifting away from being able to match make with other players due to SM. Every death feels a little more like I'm ruining the character a little more.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Small Soapstone has a timer AND a soul limit. The regular Soapstone has a HUGE timer and no soul limit.

^^^^

I do wonder what they will take from Bloodborne for the next Souls game. I hope they switch over to trick weapons (or use those sexy weapon animations) and streamline the stat system.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

So this Shrine of Amana area is pretty fun :shepface:

I'm like two seconds from looking up the location of the next bonfire, this is loving tedious

edit: Jesus christ gently caress this area. It would actually be a pretty cool place if you didn't have to clear 90% of the too many enemies and die to the hidden 10% last one in the water or a mile away.

victrix fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Apr 8, 2015

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsK3hm4qKZ8

I've watched a fair few DS2 speedruns but this one was absolutely awe-inspiring.

He does die. Eventually. First deliberately, to rapidly escape an NPC invader, and the second time he was heart breakingly close to killing invisible Aava but didn't quite make it. Then promptly runs into the ancient cathedral and goes Rambo on the Ivory King with just the one knight for backup and destroys everything :stare: like this guy doesn't even know what a gently caress IS. Most impressive of all is probably the fact that he goes through half the game with the Explorer's base (awful) roll iframes

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I just had my first Forlorn invade while I was exploring around the second Huntsman's Copse bonfire. Hadn't killed any bosses there, yet.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

victrix posted:

So this Shrine of Amana area is pretty fun :shepface:

I'm like two seconds from looking up the location of the next bonfire, this is loving tedious

edit: Jesus christ gently caress this area. It would actually be a pretty cool place if you didn't have to clear 90% of the too many enemies and die to the hidden 10% last one in the water or a mile away.

There's a pretty useful NPC summon for the run to the third bonfire. Both bonfires are in a straight line, too, so don't worry.

dis astranagant posted:

I just had my first Forlorn invade while I was exploring around the second Huntsman's Copse bonfire. Hadn't killed any bosses there, yet.

Yeah, Forlorn invasions seem to be completely random

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Mr Dog posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsK3hm4qKZ8

I've watched a fair few DS2 speedruns but this one was absolutely awe-inspiring.

That's MrTakahashi, who's been the world record holder for DS2 speedruns multiple times in a row. Dude is really good.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
So question. Can I use DSR with this and only this game? I don't want to downsample all my games, just this one, is there a way to do that?

E: don't suppose I can use borderless windowed too eh?

E2: Nor is my 360 controller working. I can go into big screen mode on steam and disabled the game controller HID in device manager, but nada for SOTS? Nor for any of my games actually.

E3: controller problems fixed after a restart :downs:

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Apr 8, 2015

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Is there any reason to do the ridiculous trick jump where the one and only claw manikin was?

e: looks like no, just 2 of them, one of the big sickle dudes and a heavy crossbow+3.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Apr 8, 2015

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Mr Dog posted:

Non-monotonic soul memory (i.e. your soul memory going down) for a particular playthrough ID is something that the server checks for and it will, after a delay, get you banned.

This includes backing up and restoring a save file from an earlier point in your playthrough.

Is this new? I did that a bunch in the old game to co-op with someone and help them with some bosses. I never got banned.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Rat King still best Souls character.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Argh. Still having problems with my wireless 360 controller. I never used to have this problem months ago. Every time I launch a game the little circle lights in the middle flash and the game no longer detects it. I've tried calibrating the controller, disabling the HID game controller interface thing in the device manager and I can't figure out what's wrong. I got it working for a bit after I restarted but it's stopped now and I can't figure out what's wrong.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Is it just me or is poison a lot stronger now? You used to be able to counter it easily with a life gem but now it wrecks me in seconds.

Also, what does a red gas chest trap do? I only remember the poison and crossbow ones.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Apr 8, 2015

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!

The Iron Rose posted:

So question. Can I use DSR with this and only this game? I don't want to downsample all my games, just this one, is there a way to do that?

DSR just makes new resolutions available in your games' settings. After you enable a DSR mode you need to set that new resolution in game.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Sauer posted:

DSR just makes new resolutions available in your games' settings. After you enable a DSR mode you need to set that new resolution in game.

Thanks. Do you have any advice for the 360 controller? The light ring on the controller says it's the first controller, but when I press the center button it shows up as controller 2 on my monitor.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
^ - Do you have any other devices that could be seen as controllers plugged in? I had a joy stick set up plugged in that I have to unplug when I play or else its broken.

If the areas with red borders are all areas that I've already done and are an area or two back should I go back and coop for a bit? I got to Undead Passageway and it wasn't red bordered and I never found a single non-NPC summon there and that sucks because I have a lot more fun when I've got buddies killing dudes with me.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

I swear, while progressing though content as a strength build my setup always tends to converge to this.

The item finding, fire blocking, blunt-wielding caveman jester.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Reason posted:

^ - Do you have any other devices that could be seen as controllers plugged in? I had a joy stick set up plugged in that I have to unplug when I play or else its broken.

I don't think so? I've tried enabling and disabling everything I thought could possibly interfere, but all I have connected to my computer is a keyboard and a mouse. Rosewill mechanical keyboard and a logitech g700s mouse. I've used those perfectly with a 360 pad before and I haven't changed anything else.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

is there anywhere i can find a list of changes in the re-release? im wondering if the covenant rewards/requirements have changed, and if there's any major new hidden goodies

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Hahaha got the controller to work and holy poo poo character creation is the hardest boss

Orv
May 4, 2011
That dark realization that The Gutter and Black Gulch really aren't that bad and actually kind of fun. I should probably just :suicide:

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
An entire year and a new release, and getting a controller to work is still a pain in the rear end, thanks japan.

Face buttons are mapped wrong, using l2 or r2 both controls the camera and brings up a menu, the camera constantly spins if my controller is plugged in at all.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Bobnumerotres posted:

is there anywhere i can find a list of changes in the re-release? im wondering if the covenant rewards/requirements have changed, and if there's any major new hidden goodies

I made a list that SHOULD be in the OP. Covenant stuff hasn't changed from the last patch they did to the Dx9 version (like reducing by half the BoB and Bluecops requirements, Bellbros giving more than just chunks, etc etc). And I can't think of new items aside from Forlorn equipment.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Pomp posted:

An entire year and a new release, and getting a controller to work is still a pain in the rear end, thanks japan.

Face buttons are mapped wrong, using l2 or r2 both controls the camera and brings up a menu, the camera constantly spins if my controller is plugged in at all.

Are you using a program to run an xinput wrapper, or?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Pomp posted:

There's a fixed x360ce on the Steam forum.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JThCO9LNOM

One of the best gimmick PVP videos I've seen.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Genocyber posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JThCO9LNOM

One of the best gimmick PVP videos I've seen.

Oh, I saw that guy's character in a Reddit post. That's DSP, isn't it? I've never watched a single one of his videos or even a picture, but I think that was the idea?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
I don't see the appeal. The video is mostly just that guy saying "dick lightning" over and over again and then laughing to himself...

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

I don't see the appeal. The video is mostly just that guy saying "dick lightning" over and over again and then laughing to himself...

Every goon mumble server I've been on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The gimmick is to challenge yourself to see how long you can watch without muting it.