Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
Tbf he's only a metaphorical human being. I would have gone with pedo for improved accuracy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

MrSlam posted:

The master-theory is just all the theories he has linked together. Every theory is true. Colony world suffering from nuclear war, Children are telepathic mutants, the Dornish masterminding literally everything that's happened to the Lannisters, Euron summoning Cthulhu* to bring about the Long Night, all prophecies are poo poo, every dream is psychological warfare from the Children, Sweet Robin is the Kwisatz Haderach, Littlefinger's only goal is to recreate the tourney at Harrenhal; everything, it's all true and it's all connected.

Alt Shift X showcases theories too but he also plays a skeptic to himself and provides other viewpoints. PJ will squeeze whatever plausibility from the words or the most strenuous connections he can find and mock you for thinking otherwise. But of course, it's all okay because He's Probably Wrong About Half These Things which is weak.

*hyperbole

The fact that you think he's mocking his audience for being skeptical says more about you than it says about him. For christsake, you quote his catch-phrase expressing humility in regard to his own theories yourself, are you forgetting that? How is it weak to follow up your goofy but interesting book theory with an admission that you might be wrong? Since when is admitting that you might be mistaken a weakness?

I think he's wrong about Westeros being a colony world, but he definitely makes some good points about other stuff.

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

HOW ABOUT I LASH YOUR SHIT

The Mountain that Does Not Write posted:

You want to know what the Sand Snakes, Prince Doran, Areo Hotah, Ellaria Sand, Darkstar, and the rest will be up to in 'Winds of Winter?

no we don't you fat gently caress

worthless fucks all of them and you

gently caress

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I think people are a little frustrated that Preston is probably making an extra 10k$ every month by making silly conspiracy videos about an incomplete fantasy book series but honestly he's an amiable fella despite the various tumblr accusations, he also makes entertaining videos that are fun to tune into every once in a while. Whatever bullshit he's coming up with is of much better quality than what the writers employed by HBO are seemingly capable of.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

emanresu tnuocca posted:

I think people are a little frustrated that Preston is probably making an extra 10k$ every month by making silly conspiracy videos about an incomplete fantasy book series but honestly he's an amiable fella despite the various tumblr accusations, he also makes entertaining videos that are fun to tune into every once in a while. Whatever bullshit he's coming up with is of much better quality than what the writers employed by HBO are seemingly capable of.

never even occurred to me he was making money. good for that sperglord.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

kcroy posted:

All those nerds have patreons + youtube view money. The video he put out about someone flagging his video and it being taken down was kind of depressing though.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

kcroy posted:

Yeah, same here, I hope he makes more and more, maybe he'll have enough to buy the rights to the series from Paris when Gurm kicks the bucket and he can make his theories canon

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

savinhill posted:

Yeah, same here, I hope he makes more and more, maybe he'll have enough to buy the rights to the series from Paris when Gurm kicks the bucket and he can make his theories canon

The darkest timeline

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

This last episode showed the limits of Tyrion's abilities in Meereen. He does not speak the language. His decisions are only respected when Grey Worm and Missandei agree. They are "not political" but are being thrust into a political situation and seem to be learning from him. Tyrion is setting up the city in a way that seems to be a reasonable compromise. I don't see Dany just coming in and laying things to waste given that we've already been beaten over the head about the difficulties of not giving the slavers some compromise or taking their self-interest into account. We've seen how difficult it is for the Unsullied to stand against a clandestine insurgency. I think that Dany heads west and that maybe the thread of the Dothraki is enough to make the untrustworthy Masters trustworthy. That leaves the former slaves in charge in the East.

Im thinking that probably Tyrion's plan is going to backfire somehow, the masters are going to betray the deal and perhaps send their armies to Meeren.

Then Dany arrives with the Dothraki horde and destroy then all at once. And then she will look smug riding Drogon while triumphant music plays

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Elias_Maluco posted:

Im thinking that probably Tyrion's plan is going to backfire somehow, the masters are going to betray the deal and perhaps send their armies to Meeren.

Then Dany arrives with the Dothraki horde and destroy then all at once. And then she will look smug riding Drogon while triumphant music plays

I agree. They are basically giving Tyrion parts of Danys ADWD plot where she tries to make peace with the slavers. There is no way they let him succeed with his appeasement politic against the ex-slave power couple.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
We're definitely not going to jump-cut to Seven Years Later. Either they're going to stab him in the back, Wormy and Missy are going to stab him in the back, the Sons of the Harpy are going to stab him in the back, or Dany's going to come back and everyone's going to forget about it. Or alternatively, Tyrion finds a loophole or has a situation thrust upon him and it's never brought up again.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

MrSlam posted:

We're definitely not going to jump-cut to Seven Years Later. Either they're going to stab him in the back, Wormy and Missy are going to stab him in the back, the Sons of the Harpy are going to stab him in the back, or Dany's going to come back and everyone's going to forget about it. Or alternatively, Tyrion finds a loophole or has a situation thrust upon him and it's never brought up again.

That's kinda of what Im thinking: the Sons of Harpy will lay low for a coulpe of episodes. And then strike again when they are feeling safe, probably killing some semi-important character in the process (grey worm?), by backstabing of course.

And simultaneously, Yunkai and Astaphor will send their armies and surround Meeren. The situation will look hopeless, they will be ready to capitulate, and then Dany arrives and backstap then all with a full horde of dothraki and Drogon

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Elias_Maluco posted:

That's kinda of what Im thinking: the Sons of Harpy will lay low for a coulpe of episodes. And then strike again when they are feeling safe, probably killing some semi-important character in the process (grey worm?), by backstabing of course.

And simultaneously, Yunkai and Astaphor will send their armies and surround Meeren. The situation will look hopeless, they will be ready to capitulate, and then Dany arrives and backstap then all with a full horde of dothraki and Drogon

That sounds really predictable, stupid and it would mean we'll basically get no new plot development post-DWD this season.

...Yeah, that's exactly what's gonna happen.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

GaussianCopula posted:

I agree. They are basically giving Tyrion parts of Danys ADWD plot where she tries to make peace with the slavers. There is no way they let him succeed with his appeasement politic against the ex-slave power couple.

Yeah, I think they're setting Tyrion up for a major owning from Dany at the end of the season that puts a fine point on why exactly she's in charge of him. Sort of like what they did for Daario at the end of this episode where they let him in on the hero worship side of Dany after having him talk about her as just a sexy gal earlier. He's probably going to spend the season setting up a deal with the masters, which will look reasonable and workable...then they'll betray everyone and he'll look like a giant idiot, and then Dany shows up with the Khalassar and tells all the slaves "WE OUT THIS BITCH! GET ON THESE IRONBORN SHIPS!" and sails to Westeros.

Or doesn't because that seems totally impossible to me still.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you
You are all forgetting that Tyrion is GURMs Mary Sue, and he has told HBO what the major character arcs are. I don't think any other POV "hero" will be allowed to put him in his place

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Anders posted:

You are all forgetting that Tyrion is GURMs Mary Sue, and he has told HBO what the major character arcs are. I don't think any other POV "hero" will be allowed to put him in his place

lol if you believe Gurm has an idea how anything ends.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013
people really like throwing around the term Mary Sue.

everyone is a Mary Sue according to this and the TVIV thread.

what the hell is a Mary Sue?

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

TommyGun85 posted:

She's the brunette that hangs out with Gilligan.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Anders posted:

You are all forgetting that Tyrion is GURMs Mary Sue, and he has told HBO what the major character arcs are.

Well yeah. You can tell he told them the character arcs because they did exactly what everyone else who rcvd 3.75 books worth of character arcs did: Tossed them in the trash and dreamt up something a lot better.

Shroud
May 11, 2009

Anders posted:

Lol, just lol, if you think the lazy fucker has arcs planned out.

As a reminder, this is how he planned the books before HBO went and stole his thunder:

1) Daenerys goes East
2) ???????????
3) Daenarys does something back in the West

This is what we got:

1) Daenerys goes East
2) Does nothing to advance the plot
3) Gets diarhhea

Honestly, I'm hoping that if he ever does put out another book, it's greeted with yawns and no sales, just to spite him. Even better, a million blog posts and comments are posted about how he's using his own fanfic to profit off of an HBO series.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Anders posted:

GRRM fantasizes about being a gross, short, misshapen freak? Well, OK, it would be a big step up in sexual appeal.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

Spun Dog posted:

She's the brunette that hangs out with Gilligan.

ya but what is her significance in her comparison to asoiaf characters? im being serious when I say I have literally no idea what everyone is talking about when they seemingly call every character a mary sue

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

TommyGun85 posted:

ya but what is her significance in her comparison to asoiaf characters? im being serious when I say I have literally no idea what everyone is talking about when they seemingly call every character a mary sue

It's a reader/author self-insert character that shows up mostly in fan fiction, and a member of the latest collection of phrases and words that goons have wrung the life out of with a fiery passion, likely due to seeing them one in every piece of fiction that has a character at all.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 19:49 on May 18, 2016

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

TommyGun85 posted:

The author's self insert.

But TVIV also uses the term indiscriminately so it's not like you could really get that from context.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
This thread is not as bad as I remember.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I know what Areo Hotah will do in TWOW.

gently caress all.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

RC Cola posted:

This is the worst insult this thread has ever received.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
In the threads defense the actual story has also improved, there had to be a correlation.

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

HOW ABOUT I LASH YOUR SHIT

TommyGun85 posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Sue posted:

The term "Mary Sue" comes from the name of a character created by Paula Smith in 1973 for her parody story "A Trekkie's Tale"[2]:15 published in her fanzine Menagerie #2.[3] The story starred Lieutenant Mary Sue ("the youngest Lieutenant in the fleet — only fifteen and a half years old"), and satirized unrealistic characters in Star Trek fan fiction.[4] Such characters were generally female adolescents who had romantic liaisons with established canonical adult characters, or in some cases were the younger relatives or protégées of those characters.[citation needed] By 1976 Menagerie's editors stated that they disliked such characters, saying:

Mary Sue stories—the adventures of the youngest and smartest ever person to graduate from the academy and ever get a commission at such a tender age. Usually characterized by unprecedented skill in everything from art to zoology, including karate and arm-wrestling. This character can also be found burrowing her way into the good graces/heart/mind of one of the Big Three [Kirk, Spock, and McCoy], if not all three at once. She saves the day by her wit and ability, and, if we are lucky, has the good grace to die at the end, being grieved by the entire ship.[5]

"Mary Sue" today has changed from its original meaning and now carries a generalized, although not universal, connotation of wish-fulfillment and is commonly associated with self-insertion. True self-insertion is a literal and generally undisguised representation of the author; most characters described as "Mary Sues" are not, though they are often called "proxies"[6] for the author. The negative connotation comes from this "wish-fulfillment" implication: the "Mary Sue" is judged as a poorly developed character, too perfect and lacking in realism to be interesting.[7]

When Star Wars: The Force Awakens came out a bunch of nerds whined about how 'unrealistic' Rey's character is, and turbosperg Max Landis helped with them latching onto calling her a Mary Sue even though it doesn't really fit. The term has since become watered down, overused, and one of things where it tells you more about the person using it than whatever it is they're talking about.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
The longer he doesn't publish the more the stink from the recent volumes fades.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Elias_Maluco posted:

They're absolutely going to go "yeah your offer is poo poo and we're going to enslave you all" to Tyrion and attack the city so that Dany can use her horde and dragons to launch an attack against the slavers new armies while (re)freeing legions of people living in slaver's bay.

Shroud posted:

As a reminder, this is how he planned the books before HBO went and stole his thunder:

1) Daenerys goes East
2) ???????????

This is what we got:

1) Daenerys goes East
3) Gets diarhhea

Honestly, I'm hoping that if he ever does put out another book, it's greeted with yawns and no sales, just to spite him. Even better, a million blog posts and comments are posted about how he's using his own fanfic to profit off of an HBO series.

If TWOW ever comes out it's going to have record breaking sales because it will spend months in the news getting hyped by everyone and they can even (maybe) include stuff like "in this version Sansa isn't turned in to Ramsay's rape slave."

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Number Ten Cocks posted:

The longer he doesn't publish the more the stink from the recent volumes fades.

Dany's shitwater had to dry eventually.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

RC Cola posted:

Take it back, fagdick.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
I think a lot of people here are getting a sense of relief from the show's rapidfire plots and all the trimming of background characters and sidequests. Like, GRRM was giving you blueballs in his basement all these years and D&D sneaks in and tickles your fat pink mast by giving Dany an unstoppable army who is definitely on track to actually doing something and will be back taking her posse out of Mereen within two episodes. I'm on a high from things actually happening. Yeah it's poo poo TV writing and it's going to be an unsatsifactory mess, but it's better than a Wildcard update.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the thing i don't get is why martin wrote all the boring things. wouldn't it be boring to write all those boring chapters and boring plotlines and boring characters? wouldn't he notice how boring they were during revision?

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

"Boring chapters where nothing happens" are a staple of fantasy tomes. Writers love doing it because it's easy to write: if nothing happens and the plot doesn't move forward then you can just scrawl fluff for pages and pages. By the time I got to Storm of Swords I was just skimming over entire pieces of the book because it wasn't interesting at all. Plot-wise, there are two books' worth of story in the entire extant series. Someone should abridge the books and release them for show-watchers.

poo poo, apparently there's an entire Wheel of Time book where nothing of import happens. I don't know why it's specifically fantasy writers that get away with this.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

Groovelord Neato posted:

the thing i don't get is why martin wrote all the boring things. wouldn't it be boring to write all those boring chapters and boring plotlines and boring characters? wouldn't he notice how boring they were during revision?

because he has no idea how to get himself out of the holes hes created so its easier to just switch focus to other characters and places and describe those for a thousand pages.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you

Shroud posted:

1) Daenerys goes East
2) ???????????

This is what we got:

1) Daenerys goes East
3) Gets diarhhea

I assume the arcs he gave was in the same format. For Tyrion it was probably

1) Hooks up with Dany
2) Saves Dany
3) Is best at everything - also secret targ

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Beef Hardcheese posted:

When Star Wars: The Force Awakens came out a bunch of nerds whined about how 'unrealistic' Rey's character is, and turbosperg Max Landis helped with them latching onto calling her a Mary Sue even though it doesn't really fit. The term has since become watered down, overused, and one of things where it tells you more about the person using it than whatever it is they're talking about.

Let's be fair, those nerds were really just upset that Rey was a woman. Which is part of the problem with the modern use of Mary Sue; it's become shorthand for "I don't like this female character, most likely because I'm a colossal baby who can't enjoy fiction unless it's about a male, which I also am." Like, sure, she's a nobody from some backwater hellhole who goes on an adventure and triumphs over a powerful evil with hardly any training but I also literally just described Anakin and Luke's first adventures. Nerds got pissed because she's got a vag, not because of anything that goes on in the movie.

Much of the same group were also upset that Finn was an urban feral Dindu, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
The GRRMy Sue has three heads.

The ego is Varys. He's behind the scenes weaving the fabric of the universe.

The superego is Tyrion. The bestest best smartest smart who is so clearly best at smart but why smart not known as best by idiot dumdums around me?

The id is the yellow whale. A horrible piss drenched fat golem that's so grotesque it needs its rear end wiped continuously from the stream of poo poo pouring out of its rear end but no one dares insult its horrifying nature because it is tentatively in control.