Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Also the new Connor just SHOWS UP every single time, no one gives Hank a call or a text or an email or anything to let him know "hey a new android is on its way"

That's gotta be a little shocking.

Honestly the Connor/Hank stuff is the best stuff in the game because the buddy cop dynamic is one of the easiest loving dynamics to write.

I'm more amazed that David Cage, overseeing a team of professionals, many of which who are Americans who have lived in America their whole lives, still can't understand how an American bathroom looks.

THE TOILET GOES IN THE SAME ROOM AS THE BATHTUB, DAVID!

WampaLord fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jun 9, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

WampaLord posted:

Also the new Connor just SHOWS UP every single time, no one gives Hank a call or a text or an email or anything to let him know "hey a new android is on its way"

That's gotta be a little shocking.

https://i.imgur.com/LdSi3ui.mp4

Greetings, detective Anderson.

WampaLord posted:

I'm more amazed that David Cage, overseeing a team of professionals, many of which who are Americans who have lived in America their whole lives, still can't understand how an American bathroom looks.

THE TOILET GOES IN THE SAME ROOM AS THE BATHTUB, DAVID!

I REFUSE

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

I guess it makes more sense if it's just Cage being funny about it like "lol I'm gonna sneak in a European bathroom as a weird troll" but I somehow highly doubt that.

Remember the doorknob in the middle of Shelby's door in Heavy Rain? That's still the weirdest poo poo I've ever seen!

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Most normal people don't have separate rooms for that in Europe either

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

WampaLord posted:

I guess it makes more sense if it's just Cage being funny about it like "lol I'm gonna sneak in a European bathroom as a weird troll" but I somehow highly doubt that.

The argument was just 'Potion seller. I'm going into battle. And I require your strongest potions.'

WampaLord posted:

Remember the doorknob in the middle of Shelby's door in Heavy Rain? That's still the weirdest poo poo I've ever seen!

What?! No! What the gently caress?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

What?! No! What the gently caress?

Andrast posted:

Most normal people don't have separate rooms for that in Europe either

Yea and literally no one in America has it, lmao.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War
Oh yay, a Jarrell, TX reference

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

I'm really surprised Woolie isn't calling out these blatant Jesus metaphors with Marcus.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Powerful end on today's detroit, jesus.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Is it wrong that I"m sorta disappointed they read the comments and everyone is like NO be nice to hank. Let them play they want drat it.

Let CHAOS reigns.

Though Pat screaming NO NO NO when he failed a QTE and Matt was cheerfully hoping he dies was great.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Shindragon posted:

Is it wrong that I"m sorta disappointed they read the comments and everyone is like NO be nice to hank. Let them play they want drat it.

Let CHAOS reigns.

Though Pat screaming NO NO NO when he failed a QTE and Matt was cheerfully hoping he dies was great.

No, you're not wrong at all. I've seen the Connor/Hank stuff in another stream I watched and it's not that great (though it is probably the best writing in the game, which is not saying much, obviously), it's much more fun having this full chaos version instead.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Powerful end on today's detroit, jesus.

Also yeah WTF woolie.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
It's a Kanye West thing.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Ahhh ok. I take blame for not using social media as much as others.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
sometimes I think you fucks just thirst for a legit blowup because goddamn

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

BaDandy posted:

So, is there a reason why we don't see most of America, let alone Detriot, on fire from all the riots that should be happening at a 40% unemployment rate, or does the game just...not address or think about that? Do any Cyberlife execs end up getting guillotined? Or is it just used as an excuse for humans to treat androids like garbage? :v:

So, the word "Robot" comes from a 1920 play, Rossum's Universal Robots, which is about artificial humans made from goo. In the play having cheap obedient slave humans means that, yes, all labor normal humans immediately are fired from every blue collar position, but because production costs are so dirt low, everyone can afford food and shelter and clothes with whatever pennies they can scrape together. There's a period of social upheaval, but society stabilizes around cheap, commonly available labor.

Then the robots kill everyone.

The plot, themes, and details of this dumb game are nearly a century old. But all these polygons will capture emotions better than any czech playwright could have!

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
I was willing to let the whole "8k bucks for a robot" detail slide, but the whole thing about resources being depleted and the planet being on its last legs kinda brought it back for me. If stuff like plastic and ore and such are running out, not only would hi-tech products like robots be really expensive, but we'd NEVEr see them just tossed aside in a junkyard where they just fix themselves with the abundant functional, compatible parts. There'd be some insane recycling and refitting going on.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Mystic Mongol posted:

So, the word "Robot" comes from a 1920 play, Rossum's Universal Robots, which is about artificial humans made from goo. In the play having cheap obedient slave humans means that, yes, all labor normal humans immediately are fired from every blue collar position, but because production costs are so dirt low, everyone can afford food and shelter and clothes with whatever pennies they can scrape together. There's a period of social upheaval, but society stabilizes around cheap, commonly available labor.

Then the robots kill everyone.

The plot, themes, and details of this dumb game are nearly a century old. But all these polygons will capture emotions better than any czech playwright could have!

See, if the game gave a tidbit like this

quote:

but because production costs are so dirt low, everyone can afford food and shelter and clothes with whatever pennies they can scrape together. There's a period of social upheaval, but society stabilizes around cheap, commonly available labor.

Then fine. Great! Or if there was some kind of hint that this is right before mass societal upheaval, that's fine too. If it delved into just a bit more than what it only implies, I'd be down.

But in addition to that, we also have this

Sephyr posted:

I was willing to let the whole "8k bucks for a robot" detail slide, but the whole thing about resources being depleted and the planet being on its last legs kinda brought it back for me. If stuff like plastic and ore and such are running out, not only would hi-tech products like robots be really expensive, but we'd NEVEr see them just tossed aside in a junkyard where they just fix themselves with the abundant functional, compatible parts. There'd be some insane recycling and refitting going on.

The planet is dying and we're running out of resources, in addition to androids also being blamed for some kind of new opioid crisis? That's literally made with their blood? And then there's some kind of mystical cult thing hinted at with some deviants? AND the "actually, this is racism, but with androids" thing? They're doing it again! They're trying to bring in a bunch of different things that end up clouding up the main story! Why do we have the resources to make these androids if the planet is dying? How can they afford to have all those Conner models? If everyone hates androids so goddamn much, who's buying them, to the point where they're made as affordable as a used car? Why is there only one company making these things? Were there more? Who the gently caress thought it was a good idea to make some subservient androids look black, and why wasn't there a huge PR disaster when that happened? Why even make them look like humans if you want to tell them apart from actual humans?

I was gonna say that, so far, this game is coming across like Heavy Rain but I'm having about a many questions as I did with Beyond: Two Souls. I'll see it through to the end like I did the others, but Jesus. :v:

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

also i'm pretty sure one of the magazines says that the cheaper models like Kara are more like $900

remember, this is a vision of our future

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

WampaLord posted:

I've seen the Connor/Hank stuff in another stream I watched and it's not that great

The actual wrongest take.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Yardbomb posted:

The actual wrongest take.

Is this the only cop fiction you've ever seen?

Like I said, it's probably the best writing in the game, but that's damning with faint praise in a game with lines like "Your choices will shape our destiny"

WampaLord fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jun 10, 2018

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

WampaLord posted:

Is this the only cop fiction you've ever seen?

Robertcop and Clancy Brown team-up is cute and v. good. At least when you're not shittin it up like Pat.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
pat tries to act smart and confuses marcus garvey with the marquis de lafayette

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture

BaDandy posted:

The planet is dying and we're running out of resources, in addition to androids also being blamed for some kind of new opioid crisis? That's literally made with their blood? And then there's some kind of mystical cult thing hinted at with some deviants? AND the "actually, this is racism, but with androids" thing? They're doing it again! They're trying to bring in a bunch of different things that end up clouding up the main story!
I think David Cage is whatever the writing version of a cargo cult is. He knows what good stories look and sound like but has no idea how or why they work.

I know it's like asking a child how he actually plans on becoming an astronaut, but the magical power source and/or battery that these androids run on would have solved so goddamn many other problems that everybody in the game should be living like the humans in wall-e by now and it makes me crazy how nothing in the game makes in-universe sense

Wallrod fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Jun 10, 2018

standard owl
Jan 9, 2011

It's the unnecessary specificity that really undermines the world-building imo (especially when the game's trying to be like "this is our future! ;)"). 40% unemployment + $8000 android MSRP + 79% rainforest reduction = ?????

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I haven't played the game so this might be bullshit but doesn't some log somewhere imply the source of the blue blood is alien in origin, just for the hell of it?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I haven't played the game so this might be bullshit but doesn't some log somewhere imply the source of the blue blood is alien in origin, just for the hell of it?

This would be the only lore piece i'd find believable. Find alien gatorade, try to A) Make big silicon valley profits and B) get blazed on it

Justice Sloth
Jun 10, 2012

Damn skippy.
Don't be silly, this is quantic dream. Blue blood is clearly milked from the ethereal teats of vaguely ethnic ghosts.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Wow, I'm catching up on the Detroit episodes and I honestly never expected one of the best friends to reference What Dreams May Come. I feel like nobody has ever seen that movie or know what it is.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Justice Sloth posted:

Don't be silly, this is quantic dream. Blue blood is clearly milked from the ethereal teats of vaguely ethnic ghosts.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
gonna cut the tension and say that it doesn't matter and doesn't come up in the story at all

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

I can't wait to see their reactions to the Microsoft conference. A drat good show even for those without an Xbone.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Kay Kessler posted:

I can't wait to see their reactions to the Microsoft conference. A drat good show even for those without an Xbone.

Yeah, Microsoft actually had a good conference. Although, the guy in charge of the camera still needs to be smacked in the head every time he cut away from the trailer to get an audience shot.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
gently caress Woolie, it’s 5

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Captain Baal posted:

gently caress Woolie, its 5

What dumb poo poo did Woolie say now?

zerofiend
Dec 23, 2006

Dias posted:

What dumb poo poo did Woolie say now?

He keeps calling it DMC "Vee"

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Isn't that the SFV joke?

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Dias posted:

Isn't that the SFV joke?

Woolie has been trying to push DMC "Vee" for a while now because he has bad taste.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Dias posted:

Isn't that the SFV joke?

That's more of a Metal Gear V thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

what the gently caress even is tokyo mirage session