Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Gammatron 64 posted:

Eh. As far as I'm concerned, the industry has changed, and for the most part, video games aren't for me anymore. I'm a fuddy duddy stuck in the past. Most of the really hot things right now (multiplayer fpses, open world RPGs, MOBAs, minecraft, angry birds etc.) just don't appeal to me. I'm actually okay with this, because as I grow older, I have to devote more time to well, non-videogame things.

As someone who is mainly used to Japanese console games, I can kind of understand why the Japanese are a little leery towards totally open ended games like Skyrim. I could never get into the Elder Scrolls games because they are so open ended that I'm not sure what I want to do or what my immediate goals are. Not to mention that Bethesda games generally lack polish.

Of course, as with everything thing, moderation is the key. FF13 took things to the opposite extreme in that it was so linear that the game was a series of very pretty hallways.

What I have found when I want to scratch that same itch that you are feeling (odds are we are probably a similar age) is that I need to spend more time looking into games which do not get quite as much media attention. This also almost always requires PC gaming. I browse Steam and I do google searches looking for games released that fit the genre I am looking for. I spend more time looking at what indie is offering and so forth. You often have to accept that you are not going to get a game with state of the art graphics but there is a lot of fun stuff out there to play. That or stop looking for something familiar and instead try a game that simply looks interesting and different to you which also might not be getting a ton of media attention. Thankfully, the market still allows for a decent amount of experimentation as long as it does not require a AAA budget. There is a lot of crap but there are also enough gems to keep you entertained. That is how this industry has always been though as long as I can remember.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Steam basically saved PC gaming by giving every game a long tail market, independent of shelf life or physical retail space. Valve might gently caress things up, but you can't deny that Steam practically is synonymous with PC gaming at this point.

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

This is true though, since most of the majors who aren't making Marvel movies are having to shrink and refocus on smaller gambles or just poach critical darlings from the festival circuit.

Honestly yeah, AAA games and blockbuster movies in general have both been going through a downturn for years as they get more and more expensive to make, but the people paying to make them are more and more risk-averse. For good reason, too.

It's smaller games and films that can take some chances. Not necessarily indies per se, but stuff that some people would consider double-A or less (which is a pretty vague metric for this sort of thing!) Monster Hunter 4U on 3DS is doing surprisingly well but it's really only pushing single-A numbers. Bravely Default, too, though their own devs were surprised it performed even that well.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Japanese developers reading this thread, please put more lower budget JRPGs on Steam, thank you arigatou.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Terper posted:

Japanese developers reading this thread, please put more lower budget JRPGs on Steam, thank you arigatou.

You just had some Neptunia games, what more do you want?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Speaking of lower budgets.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

Sorry, I should specify, good games.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Terper posted:

Japanese developers reading this thread, please design all future hand held consoles so that their games can easily be ported to PC and released on Steam.

Hugs and kisses,

Xavier

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Xavier434 posted:

What I have found when I want to scratch that same itch that you are feeling (odds are we are probably a similar age) is that I need to spend more time looking into games which do not get quite as much media attention. This also almost always requires PC gaming. I browse Steam and I do google searches looking for games released that fit the genre I am looking for. I spend more time looking at what indie is offering and so forth. You often have to accept that you are not going to get a game with state of the art graphics but there is a lot of fun stuff out there to play. That or stop looking for something familiar and instead try a game that simply looks interesting and different to you which also might not be getting a ton of media attention. Thankfully, the market still allows a decent amount of experimentation as long as it does not require a AAA budget. There is a lot of crap but there are also enough gems to keep you entertained. That is how this industry has always been though as long as I can remember.

Oh yeah, this is true. Sometimes you'll find gems like Azure Striker Gunvolt, Shovel Knight, Citizens of the Earth and so on. However I do feel that the majority of indie games will lazily use a pixel art style without really understanding how old school games worked or what made them fun (i.e. Fez, Minecraft, etc.) They try to make "retro" games because "retro" is the in, "hip" thing, but rarely do these games look or feel like the games of old.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gammatron 64 posted:

Oh yeah, this is true. Sometimes you'll find gems like Azure Striker Gunvolt, Shovel Knight, Citizens of the Earth and so on. However I do feel that the majority of indie games will lazily use a pixel art style without really understanding how old school games worked or what made them fun (i.e. Fez, Minecraft, etc.) They try to make "retro" games because "retro" is the in, "hip" thing, but rarely do these games look or feel like the games of old.

Well "some games are fantastic, most are poo poo" is kind of how it's always been. We remember the good games and forget the more numerous poo poo.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Yup. That is the "crap" I mentioned.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
The 90's were filled with so many movie tie-in shitfests. The SNES and PS1 days were really good overall but it's easy to forget the sheer amount of trash that was piled everywhere as well.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru
What have I done to the Final Fantasy thread?! We could have talked about the Square-Enix JRPGs that arrived on time and fulfilled all of our expectations!

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

This is true though, since most of the majors who aren't making Marvel movies are having to shrink and refocus on smaller gambles or just poach critical darlings from the festival circuit.

We're already seeing Hollywood do whatever to takes to keep up growth. Many big budget movies are targeting growing overseas markets, especially in Asia. Some are even incorporating Chinese locations and Chinese actors into the plot of the movie, such as Iron Man 3, Looper, Skyfall, and Transformers Age of Extinction, in order to better appeal to local audiences.

This February, China's box-office beat America's box-office gross. This is expected to become the rule rather than the exception. With China's protection clauses limiting the number of foreign films, it's important that they don't give a reason for the Chinese government to reject their movie.

Videogame publishers are also taking precautions when enter the Chinese gaming market. Before its demise, THQ allegedly changed the invading country in Homefront from China to North Korea since they didn't want to alienate any of their Chinese business partners.

Think we'll eventually see the Avengers starring Chinese actors?

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Steam basically saved PC gaming by giving every game a long tail market, independent of shelf life or physical retail space. Valve might gently caress things up, but you can't deny that Steam practically is synonymous with PC gaming at this point.

Honestly yeah, AAA games and blockbuster movies in general have both been going through a downturn for years as they get more and more expensive to make, but the people paying to make them are more and more risk-averse. For good reason, too.

It's smaller games and films that can take some chances. Not necessarily indies per se, but stuff that some people would consider double-A or less (which is a pretty vague metric for this sort of thing!) Monster Hunter 4U on 3DS is doing surprisingly well but it's really only pushing single-A numbers. Bravely Default, too, though their own devs were surprised it performed even that well.

I'm not sure we'll see the Bravely Default series continue, especially on handhelds. The sequel just came out in Japan and it didn't perform particularly well. It seems that Square-Enix and Silicon Studios had already budgeted for the sequel before overseas sales made the first game into a success. The first Bravely Default was a success but a minor one for a company as large as Square-Enix. Square-Enix Japan seems more interested in mobile/social games and the handful of AAA games they publish. Silicon Studios seems more interested in their middleware solutions and their forays mobile gaming.

Terper posted:

I think the future looks good for JRPGs on Steam. I don't know whether it's Valve's outreach efforts or the domestic market contracting but we're seeing more PC ports from various developers. Dark Souls 2 is at million copies according to Steamspy. Ys Origin sold 200,000 copies on Steam. SEGA was very happy with Valkyria Chronicles sales. Tales of Zestiria showed up in the Steam database. It seems JRPG centric sales events, curation, and a personalized storefront have helped these games get exposure.

Speaking of which, the PC will have a conference at e3. Yes, the PC. Sean "Day[9]" Plott of Starcraft 2 fame will host it.

Square-Enix will be attending it along with many others. Think we'll see a wacky 'FFXV coming to Steam' announcement similar to Metal Gear Solid 5? I'd expect Eidos games and FFXIV: Heavensward to be featured since they're actually coming out this year. They also have Gamescom for PC-centric announcements.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
The Revenge of Local Heroes.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Gologle posted:

The Revenge of Local Heroes.

We can read. Wish you could!

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Sunning posted:

Think we'll eventually see the Avengers starring Chinese actors?

I would've loved that for Doctor Strange but no, we get Benedict Shitlord. :barf:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Kyrosiris posted:

I would've loved that for Doctor Strange but no, we get Benedict Shitlord. :barf:

Considering Strange's origins is that he's a self-assured, skilled, egotistical prick; I think Cumberbatch is pretty much a perfect casting.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Gammatron 64 posted:

minecraft looks old because notch is a poo poo artist and cubes are real easy to model. the avatars look the way they are because it's literally the best he could do. its not an affectation, its just made that way because it was easy.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Zaphod42 posted:

Considering Strange's origins is that he's a self-assured, skilled, egotistical prick; I think Cumberbatch is pretty much a perfect casting.

I dunno, I think Doc Strange is supposed to be human. Not whatever lizard man Cumberbatch is.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Terper posted:

Sorry, I should specify, good games.

A new Ys game just came out, go get it.

Sunning posted:

Tales of Zestiria showed up in the Steam database.

:frogon:

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

that's it, there's nothing more to say. Tales of Zestiria showed up on the Steam database

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Kyrosiris posted:

The fact that we're getting a Doctor Strange film at all, and it'll almost assuredly be canon to the rest of the MCU, is baffling to me. I understand that it's almost entirely because Dr. Strange was an important player in the Infinity Gauntlet, but like...Adam Warlock was already teased in the GotG movie. Just have Adam Warlock interact with the Avengers, when adapting to movies something always gets left out from the original, and honestly, I think that they should just cut Dr. Strange out. Maybe it's just me, but I don't want him getting, uh, normalized, although to be fair, the comics over the past few years hve already done a pretty bang up job at that. Thanks, Hickman and Bendis!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Please don't start talking about Marvel movies in the Final Fantasy Megathread

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

The best way to get the Final Fantasy Megathread back on track is to start talking in great detail about why we dislike Final Fantasy.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Cumberbatch for Noctis's new VO please.

That or whoever voiced Mikhail in Drakengard 3.

Sunning posted:

I'm not sure we'll see the Bravely Default series continue, especially on handhelds. The sequel just came out in Japan and it didn't perform particularly well. It seems that Square-Enix and Silicon Studios had already budgeted for the sequel before overseas sales made the first game into a success. The first Bravely Default was a success but a minor one for a company as large as Square-Enix. Square-Enix Japan seems more interested in mobile/social games and the handful of AAA games they publish. Silicon Studios seems more interested in their middleware solutions and their forays mobile gaming.

Didn't BD do significantly better internationally compared to Japan? Could very well be wrong here, but thought I heard that somewhere, possibly in this thread even.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

Xavier434 posted:

The best way to get the Final Fantasy Megathread back on track is to start talking in great detail about why we dislike Final Fantasy.

Which hero will Nomura make a stupid amazing awful great design for next is the actual real answer.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Evil Fluffy posted:

A new Ys game just came out, go get it.

:frogon:

It was shown as Tales of Zestiria before being changed to TOZ: https://steamdb.info/sub/61325/

Is it being released? We just know Tales of Zestria was listed and its ID has been linked to recent activity. There are also rumors about a PS4 port.

Could we see an announcement at Tales Festival? Namco-Bandai has had success with Steam ports. In addition to Dark Souls' incredible success, they've had more modest hits from Naruto and Dragonball Xenoverse.

Xavier434 posted:

Square-Enix is sort of in this weird place of zen and we might be following them. The company has actually turned a corner, even if it will never be the AAA mega-publisher it wanted to be. It was hard watching them spiral for the last few years.

Now, they're doing quite well. Eidos has found its footing and a selection of titles that can succeed in AAA. Life is Strange has been a successful start for their episodic business model. Management in Japan is cracking the whip on its teams. They want games shipped even if it means removing creative leads, using middleware engine, or rebooting the entire project.

The polarizing FFXIII trilogy has ended and much of the staff seem to be working on a mobile spin-off title. The new FFXV team seems like they're actually interested in actively working with fans to create and ship a quality product. FFXIV has been successfully rebooted. In fact, their MMO subscriber base across FFXI, FFXIV, and DQX has been very solid. Their MMOs, mobiles games, and digital sales helped carry them through last year which had an anemic lineup. Even if people aren't happy with their mobile games, Final Fantasy Record Keeper seems well-received here. They're looking to a strong 2015 lineup.

I wonder how they'll screw it up.

Mega64 posted:

Cumberbatch for Noctis's new VO please.

That or whoever voiced Mikhail in Drakengard 3.

Didn't BD do significantly better internationally compared to Japan? Could very well be wrong here, but thought I heard that somewhere, possibly in this thread even.

The split is supposedly 400K for Japan and 600K for the rest of the world. It was also said to have outperformed Lightning Returns in North America. The game almost wouldn't have made it to Europe and North America if it wasn't for Nintendo taking up publishing duties. Bravely Second began development around September 2013 which would before the Europe and North American release dates.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Xavier434 posted:

Or talk about which FF is the best FF. That's always good to burn a few thread pages.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Zaphod42 posted:

Or talk about which FF is the best FF. That's always good to burn a few thread pages.

I mean, only one final fantasy has a yearly charity fundraiser devoted to it, so... :colbert:

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Look, we all know that Final Fantasy Tactics is the best Final Fantasy.

All other Final Fantasy's are pale imitations of its greatness.

Even if they came out beforehand.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Sunning posted:

Square-Enix is sort of in this weird place of zen and we might be following them. The company has actually turned a corner, even if it will never be the AAA mega-publisher it wanted to be. It was hard watching them spiral for the last few years.

Now, they're doing quite well. Eidos has found its footing and a selection of titles that can succeed in AAA. Life is Strange has been a successful start for their episodic business model. Management in Japan is cracking the whip on its teams. They want games shipped even if it means removing creative leads, using middleware engine, or rebooting the entire project.

The polarizing FFXIII trilogy has ended and much of the staff seem to be working on a mobile spin-off title. The new FFXV team seems like they're actually interested in actively working with fans to create and ship a quality product. FFXIV has been successfully rebooted. In fact, their MMO subscriber base across FFXI, FFXIV, and DQX has been very solid. Their MMOs, mobiles games, and digital sales helped carry them through last year which had an anemic lineup. Even if people aren't happy with their mobile games, Final Fantasy Record Keeper seems well-received here. They're looking to a strong 2015 lineup.

I wonder how they'll screw it up.

Yeah, this sums up how I actually feel beyond all of the jokes and goofing off that I have been doing lately in this thread.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

The only good Final Fantasy is Theatrhythm Curtain Call.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Andrast posted:

The only good Final Fantasy is Theatrhythm Curtain Call.

Playing that today and 1000 Words on Ultimate is seriously tricky. I can at least Perfect Chain the other EMSes based on rhythm but this one just messes me up as it gets faster.

I'm still sad Basch isn't in the game so I can make an team comprised just of my favourites.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
My favorite Final Fantasy is the one where all the space dads help a guy and his girl friends beat up an evil tree man.

I also like the one where the teenage girl performs an opera so her burglar boyfriend can hijack a flying casino but they get caught when an octopus tries to drop a weight on her.

Of course, I'm one of the few that likes the one where you get an airship thirty minutes in and then blow it up and have to get another one only for it to also get blown up but it's OK because you get a third one that some guy casts a spell on to make it a submarine so you can use it to get a fourth airship.

I could do this all day.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Tbh, the worst one is where the bad guy dies but becomes ruler of heaven and hell.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

bloodychill posted:

The 90's were filled with so many movie tie-in shitfests. The SNES and PS1 days were really good overall but it's easy to forget the sheer amount of trash that was piled everywhere as well.

Most memorable to me was the Home Improvement game with abysmal controls and Family Dog, a tie-in game for an animated show that didn't even last a single season. Fortunately, my dad's friend from work was all 'bout those emulators even back in the mid-90s, so my folks never actually had to waste money on those two games for me to find out how bad they were :v:

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
^^^ I enjoyed any Gameboy tie-in because the game, by nature of the limited console, almost always had nothing remotely to do with the movie.

Best FF is the one where you spend the beginning of the game raping and pillaging towns full of innocent people before having to save a little girl after, in a panic, she summons a god who causes an earthquake that destroys her burning home village (which yeah, you burned down). At this point, your dude starts to turn a corner.

Even better will be any with Benedict Cumberbatch as a VA because he's a good actor. I kind of wish who voiced Doctor Orpheus starred as Doctor Strange because he's even better.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Square Enix, Microsoft, NVIDIA Point Way Through Uncanny Valley at Microsoft BUILD - See more at: [url posted:

http://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2015/04/30/build-demo/#sthash.WeMG6BMQ.dpuf[/url]]Many tech demos end in tears. Square Enix’s moving demo during the keynote at Microsoft’s BUILD 2015 developer conference this week might be the first where that’s exactly the point.

In collaboration with NVIDIA and Microsoft, Square Enix – maker of the Final Fantasy series of video games – stunned the BUILD audience with a research project called WITCH CHAPTER 0 [cry].

The project portrays human crying — considered one of the most difficult emotions to recreate digitally — at a level of quality never seen before with a real-time, computer-generated character.

It’s a demo that may come to represent a milestone in an industry that has long-struggled to cross the “uncanny valley.”

Square Enix – maker of the Final Fantasy series of video games – stunned the BUILD audience with a research project called WITCH CHAPTER 0 [cry].

Coined by pioneering roboticist Masahiro Mori nearly 50 years ago, the term describes the boundary where emotional realism in the digital world begins to blur with reality — and creates a sense of the strange, or even revulsion, in human observers.
Overcoming this sensation has been a stretch goal for computer-generated graphics for decades. It’s a task that’s even tougher when performed in real time.

WITCH CHAPTER 0 [cry] project, powered by Microsoft’s new DirectX 12 application programming interface (API) and NVIDIA GeForce graphics, points to a way through the uncanny valley.

Bringing more reality and depth to character expressions will better immerse players in stories during game-play, and deepen their connection to characters.

NVIDIA GameWorks Effects Studio and GeForce GTX graphics were among the next-generation technologies Square Enix put to use. Square Enix also conducted extensive research on real-time CG technology using DirectX 12. The results will be incorporated into Square Enix’s Luminous Studio engine.

Art, and science: NVIDIA GameWorks Effects Studio and GeForce GTX graphics were among the next-generation technologies Square Enix put to use.
During the BUILD conference, Microsoft unveiled the research project running on four of our flagship NVIDIA GeForce TITAN X GPUs. It’s a stunning example of what they can do with the DirectX 12 API, due to arrive with Windows 10, Microsoft’s next-gen operating system.

Much of the know-how achieved by this project will surely trickle down to tomorrow’s games. That’s reason enough for tears of joy.

- See more at: http://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2015/04/30/build-demo/#sthash.WeMG6BMQ.dpuf

During LiveBuild 2015, Hajime Tabata appeared in a video to announce that they have worked with Microsoft and NVIDIA to create a new demo for Agni's Philosohy. In fact, the Luminous Studios is now running on Direct X 12. There was then a demonstration on a new Agni's Philosophy tech demo running on a high-end PC. All of this accompanied by footage and music of FFXV.

You can find it here at 3:34:00: http://channel9.msdn.com/

It's running on four Titan Xs with SLI. So they've taken the trouble to port the Luminous Studios engine to Direct X 12 and make a new demo for Agni Philosophy with help from NVIDIA. Announcement for FFXV for PC incoming at e3 or Gamescom?

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Quadrupling down on special effects that are way too expensive to create given current market trends and content creation pipelines. You asked how SE might gently caress up their recent string of successes and you might just have an answer in your hands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
Out of all the Japanese publishers, Nintendo and Square-Enix are going to be the last to go. Things were looking pretty dire for SE when most everyone outside of Japan hated FF XIII and XIV 1.0 was a colossal failure of epic proportions. That kind of gave them a bit of a wake up call though and they seem to have turned around. XIV's second chance has been surprisingly successful and XV is looking like it'll be a quality product. All the money they get from their MMOs and Edios will keep them good for a while.

Things are looking bad for Capcom, Sega and Konami, though. Especially Konami. It's looking like they're gonna wind up like SNK. I hope you guys are pumped for Metal Gear Solid Pachinko games.