Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

I'm pretty sure "nunchuck" actually means "nutcracker". They don't seem designed to do anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Byzantine posted:

I'm pretty sure "nunchuck" actually means "nutcracker". They don't seem designed to do anything else.

They chuck nuns, too.

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

Website GeekNation decides to open a publishing arm and attempts to get their first book, a YA novel, onto the NYT bestseller list by buying up all the copies.

It goes about as well as you'd expect.

Wow, small world!

I worked with GeekNation briefly. They did so many insane and stupid things during that brief time that this Saturday-morning cartoon villainy doesn't surprise me at all. These are the same people who had a mission objective to make a "viral video" and also insisted on only posting video content directly to their site instead of Youtube because they didn't want to "share the hits."

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

From a supermarket in Houston, where floodings and maybe a hurricane are due:

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://i.imgur.com/g13LeCZ.mp4

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
http://i.imgur.com/iU0Ciwi.gifv

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

IMALITTLETEAPOT

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost
Recently the Australian conservative government created a plebiscite in order to "give all Aussies a say" on gay marriage rights, ultimately a $122 million delaying tactic so they can try to kick the can down the road and avoid a simple parliamentary vote (which everybody knows would win in a landslide).

It was bitterly fought against by the left and centre-left opposition parties - who prefer not to subject LGBT people to a bitter public debate about their basic rights and they were able to block it initially. In the end the govt forced it through parliament in the form of a 'voluntary postal plebiscite'.

However, because they tried to apply arcane election rules to what is essentially a non-binding opinion poll, in order to cast a vote for marriage equality you need to be on the electoral roll first. The deadline to sign on to the roll if you want to vote for SSM was yesterday...

The result; the most successful youth enrollment campaign since federation.

Sydney Morning Herald posted:

"Young people care more about same-sex marriage than they do about elections. They're more interested in whether their friends can get married than choosing between Malcolm Turnbull and Bill Shorten."

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Fun note; Australia has mandatory voting once you're registered.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
You still can rock up, cross your name off, draw dicks all over the ballot then go eat a democracy sausage.

Actually putting down a clear mark within a box, still counts. Even with added dicks.

Or vote ahead in the post.
And turn up for the sausage anyhow.

If you don't show up you pay a fine that is pretty small but blows up if overdue. A few people try to stick it to the Gov and end up eating humble pie regretting this.

BogDew has a new favorite as of 10:00 on Aug 25, 2017

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
http://i.imgur.com/z4vKAqa.gifv

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

hosed up putting minority rights to a popular vote however certain it is to pass.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Slugnoid posted:

the most successful youth enrollment campaign since federation.

Oh man that is beautiful.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

bitterandtwisted posted:

hosed up putting minority rights to a popular vote however certain it is to pass.

Yeah it's loving shameful. The government here is using a spectacularly outdated system to decide whether or not a portion of our population gets human rights.

The even more hosed up thing is that it's not even a real vote, it's basically an opinion poll. It has no legal status and is in no way binding.

They could just change the definition of marriage in parliament but they pretend like they can't, ignoring the fact that they did exactly that in 2004.

du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

BEHEAD THOSE WHO INSULT GENTOO

Powaqoatse posted:

Oh man that is beautiful.

For a non-Aussie I read this as being dumb and possibly an unintentional prisoner reference? Can someone explain this to me its funny but I also dont understand it :saddowns:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

du -hast posted:

For a non-Aussie I read this as being dumb and possibly an unintentional prisoner reference? Can someone explain this to me its funny but I also dont understand it :saddowns:

I read that as more the plebiscite is going to backfire on the party that pushed for it over the long term. Seeing as it drove to one of the largest registration of the demographic that is antithetical to their platform.

Aussie goons, feel free to correct since this is how I'm seeing it from the outside.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

idgi. WTF happened here? Someone cast greater flame elemental?

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost

Proteus Jones posted:

I read that as more the plebiscite is going to backfire on the party that pushed for it over the long term. Seeing as it drove to one of the largest registration of the demographic that is antithetical to their platform.

Aussie goons, feel free to correct since this is how I'm seeing it from the outside.

that's a bingo.

100,000 newly registered young voters might not seem much, but remember our population is only about 24 million, and voting in Australia is compulsory so the Liberal party has motherfucked itself not just for their precious opinion poll but for the next general election too.

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost
also, if aussie voting systems make your brain hurt you can still laugh at the other headline in that screenshot; "Abbott admits missing key vote in Parliament as he was drunk"

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

...God? What are you doing God.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Trump retweets some eclipse meme a guy makes, turns out the guy (SURPRISE) has a history of posting anti jew tweets, gets his online store shut down, all in about an hour.

http://www.rawstory.com/2017/08/man-behind-trumps-eclipse-meme-laughed-at-liberals-then-lost-his-t-shirt-store-for-hating-jews/

du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

BEHEAD THOSE WHO INSULT GENTOO

Slugnoid posted:

also, if aussie voting systems make your brain hurt you can still laugh at the other headline in that screenshot; "Abbott admits missing key vote in Parliament as he was drunk"

Believe me, Aussie voting systems a chaotic parlimentary but at least make some sense. Come to California and see how hosed up the voting systems are here in the good ol' USA, where we elect presidents with a minority of the popular vote on a regular basis.

Also the drunk MP is both fantastic and also one of the most loving Aussie things I've read recently.

Anyway TY for the explanation.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

du -hast posted:

Also the drunk MP is both fantastic and also one of the most loving Aussie things I've read recently.

Thats not just an MP, it's the former Prime Minister.

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost
the drunk former prime minister :pseudo:

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Slugnoid posted:

Who once took a bite from an onion like an apple:

Certified Crazy Person.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Slugnoid posted:

Like that narrows it down?

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
I only now just noticed that he didn't even remove the outer skin. Jesus gently caress.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Australians elected an actual lizard person.

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost

VanSandman posted:

Australians elected an actual lizard person.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

He also wanted to become a priest until he found out how "pro poor people" the Catholic Church was.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
It's literally in his authorised biography, it's not like it's his enemies saying it to smear his reputation.

He spent several years training to enter the priesthood, but the basic Christian concept of compassion to those in need made his skin crawl so he had to leave.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Can this thread please just stop until this poo poo is explained?

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

kazil posted:

Crabbe cast Fiendfyre it did not go well for him

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

kazil posted:

Heavier-than-air gas leak iirc from last time it was posted.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!

kazil posted:

"I wish it wasn't so drat cold out."

*evil genie laughter echoes*

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
They are getting "friendzoned".

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

kazil posted:

You've heard about placing a small quantity of bread or butter in a slow fire? This is the opposite of that

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

kazil posted:

You see, outside the US most countries list the date in day/month/year format rather than month/day, so its the 16th of February, not the 2nd of the 16th month which, as you know, would be a fictitious date as the earth year is divided into 12 months. Hope that helps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
also http://i.imgur.com/SuTGZkD.mp4