Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Flowers For Algeria posted:

Dear Bethesda,

Please allow me to remap the keys in workshop mode. You see, I have a non-standard keyboard and my movement keys are ZSQD. You bound Z and Q which means that I can only move backwards and to the right.

Thanks in advance mate,

- Flowers

I have right mouse as forward which means when I'm in workshop mode all I can do is go backward. I've actually gotten pretty good at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Re: exploration NV vs FO3

I think the big reason that FO3 was better for exploration is that NV made the world feel like a coherent world while FO3 had a bunch of weird disjointed crazy nonsense areas. In NV you could explore but had a general sense of what you'd find. Things mostly fit in the world they created. In FO3 you could find basically any weird rear end thing and they had a ton of just totally crazy stuff to stumble into. Nothing in capital waste made sense or fit together but it was way more a feeling of "anything could be out there" than NV where it was "some thematically appropriate stuff could be out there laid out in a reasonable pattern" where you kinda quickly understood the range of things you might be encountering.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Can you do Danse's companion quest AFTER finishing the main mission? I didn't side with BoS. Will this lock me out of his quests?

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Reeoorb posted:

I've been building, a lot. I thought I would share a trick I haven't seen elsewhere, though I haven't been through the thread so forgive me if this common knowledge already.

I use a lot of foundations and bridges with junk fences to make things appear they could actually exist. Try this.

Build a stilted foundation, high enough to snap a prefab roof and wall, and far enough away to select them both, instead of selecting the foundation select the prefab bit with a long button press. This allows you to sink the foundation past the ground plane.

As an example, check this short video below. I try to build things organically, and have a floating foundation which I want supported. Normally this would involve building something under it, and rug clipping some junk to make it look real. No more!

http://youtu.be/OZBc1sJs4aY

if you've been doing lots of building without using console move and rotation, I feel bad for you son

the lack of real angle control and comically bad snap mechanic is the worst

rocket_Magnet
Apr 5, 2005

:unsmith:
Does anyone have a link to the mod that increases spawn numbers? I'm sure I saw it posted much earlier in the thread but I can't find the page. I'm at level 60 and there's little challenge anymore I'm hoping having more mans to shoot will make things more enjoyable :black101:.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
I really don't understand why you can't swap weapon mods out on the fly after you've made them at a workbench.

I want to be able to attach and remove my suppressor, scope and such. It's not hard to field strip a weapon if you know how. :(

Reeoorb
Jun 25, 2006
is...is...is got communisms in it...

Zodium posted:

if you've been doing lots of building without using console move and rotation, I feel bad for you son

the lack of real angle control and comically bad snap mechanic is the worst

They really should have done something to tell people about that. I literally just saw it. I kept thinking it would be nice if the upper triggers would do something, sigh.

Dr.Cthulhu
Jan 19, 2005

Earache! Earache!
Cthulhu Fatigue!
Trouble Brewing quest. For some strange reason I can't get a dialogue wheel from Buddy. He just keeps talking 'bout the weather. This happen to anyone else?

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

Falken posted:

I really don't understand why you can't swap weapon mods out on the fly after you've made them at a workbench.

I want to be able to attach and remove my suppressor, scope and such. It's not hard to field strip a weapon if you know how. :(

Yeah, this shits me no end and given the presence of weapon stations in various locations it doesn't seem like it will be possible, at least not without mods.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Dr.Cthulhu posted:

Trouble Brewing quest. For some strange reason I can't get a dialogue wheel from Buddy. He just keeps talking 'bout the weather. This happen to anyone else?

Dunno if it works on that NPC but try to attack him with something that won't kill him and then holster your weapon. I've had some luck resetting stuck AI that way.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Jastiger posted:

Can you do Danse's companion quest AFTER finishing the main mission? I didn't side with BoS. Will this lock me out of his quests?

His quest is actually part of the BoS main questline so yeah, you have to follow the BoS missions up to a certain point to deal with his issues. You have to rebuild Liberty Prime, then you'll get the order to go see Maxson urgently.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

eating only apples posted:

His quest is actually part of the BoS main questline so yeah, you have to follow the BoS missions up to a certain point to deal with his issues. You have to rebuild Liberty Prime, then you'll get the order to go see Maxson urgently.

So if I've passed that point, I can never go back and do the quest? Not as a companion quest?

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Advice posted:

On my second playthrough and I went for pure punchin' - I was having a lot of difficulty early, perhaps because I went 9 STR 9 LCK thinking that the VATS/Crit perks were what would save me. Now I'm thinking I wanted AGI for Action Boy/Girl and Blitz? I ended up cheesing Swan for his fist and that carried me for a bit, but now I got my BOS power armor and I'm wondering if it's worth it to wear the stuff for the dmg resist/awesome aesthetic of being a walking Rock-Em Sock-Em Robot, especially since without the fist equipped I get more rolls for the luck VATS procs, right?

How does a good punching build work? Google is surprisingly ineffective, most hits are to short articles written by gaming websites that offer very bane-bones knowledge, many written before the game even came out and we knew all about it.
Stack points equally into luck agi, and str, and keep raising them until they're capped, this will help your damage scale as well as VATS and crits however ou want to rock them. I'd wear power armor as well, it makes things simpler when you're not popping 3 stimpacks while approaching an enemy, and it will of course give you a nice boost to STR for more damage.

Kalaxus posted:

I made a Harley Quinn clone, Str 2 Agi 9 Lck 9. She uses a standard sledge, with Blitz and Ninja, I'm sure strict punching would work same way but replace ninja with melee perks. Iron Fist only requires Str 1. I haven't had much luck with melee outside VATS, my character takes nearly a full second to execute a punch/swing after I press attack. Not sure if it's my comp or if its super slow skyrim sword swinging returning.
You're using a sledgehammer with 2 str, and you're shocked that it's poo poo? :downsrim:

Slow melee weapons are pretty poor in any case, but especially without enough STR to pack a punch. Get a serrated steak knife instead.

Alabaster White posted:

NPCs shouldn't be able to take power armor if you remove the core, but maybe these are special cause they're stolen.
According to the wiki some of the BoS knights around the prydwyn and airport will put another core into their suit and get back in it, effectively allowing infinite pickpocketing. At least that's what I ran into on the wiki the other day when I was looking up fusion core locations I could reach at low level.

Perhaps that knight is the one from the airport which is specifically abloe to get back into his armor, coming to retrieve it? :psyduck:

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Dec 15, 2015

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Von_Doom posted:

I remember looking about while creeping on girders kilos high and the view being cool. Maybe I remember wrong. I remember the story being rather awkward with a choice to help or harm slavers with a magic cure baby thrown in. I wouldn't call it the worst. Zeta wanted to be fun and corny but it just didn't click with me. Even a cowboy and a samurai couldn't make me play it again. Hated it.
Funny, what I remember of The Pitt seems to be different from the rose-tinted one people keep talking about. In the Pitt I explored I had to find a million iron bars which were hidden in ridiculous places, in order to get the most powerful automatic+scoped+suppressed assault rifle in the game, while I was forced to quicksave+load and inch across a rooftop to keep from falling through the geometry and being unable to complete my quest. I must've had to load that loving spot 30 times because the engine kept getting overloaded by something in the area and then the floor would just randomly stop holding you up while you were inching toward the item you had to grab.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The Pitt was pretty good but it really sucks that you're forced to go through the quests to get the key to get to Ashur to get out. If you're good enough you can murder your way to the door starting with nothing but since the guy with the key is on the other side, you're hosed.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

Squirrel Burger posted:

Is there any word on mods for PS4 because I will throw money at the first person who lets me finally turn off the goddamn compass markers so I can actually EXPLORE the world they took so long to build

This is an ini setting. I forget which file it's in, but I turned it off day 1 and couldn't be happier :)

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Jastiger posted:

So if I've passed that point, I can never go back and do the quest? Not as a companion quest?

No, of course not.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I have right mouse as forward which means when I'm in workshop mode all I can do is go backward. I've actually gotten pretty good at it.

Is this a joke? Why would you use right mouse?

Falken posted:

This is really dumb. It cost materials to make the standard parts, but you don't get this mod when you build something else. You have to keep wasting screws and adhesive to make the base part to get the other mod back.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Does this apply to any other companions questline?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
If a companion is attached to a faction, you have to get their perk before you destroy that faction and the person hates you. It's complicated.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Cojawfee posted:

If a companion is attached to a faction, you have to get their perk before you destroy that faction and the person hates you. It's complicated.

But if you don't join the BOS they don't hate you. Unless I've missed something?

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Cojawfee posted:

I dunno that seems pretty simple and straightforward to me

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

At what point do I have to commit to a faction? Will the game make it clear?

Also, what happens to my base at the Castle if I don't side with the Minutemen? I've built it up a bunch but the Minutemen are really boring.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

coyo7e posted:

Funny, what I remember of The Pitt seems to be different from the rose-tinted one people keep talking about. In the Pitt I explored I had to find a million iron bars which were hidden in ridiculous places, in order to get the most powerful automatic+scoped+suppressed assault rifle in the game, while I was forced to quicksave+load and inch across a rooftop to keep from falling through the geometry and being unable to complete my quest. I must've had to load that loving spot 30 times because the engine kept getting overloaded by something in the area and then the floor would just randomly stop holding you up while you were inching toward the item you had to grab.

Boy, it must've been a real letdown when you finally did it and discovered that said rifle was a lovely inaccurate mess! Though I recall the 'ultimate' reward being a tribal power armor you get at 100 iron bars, and the rifle being something like 80 bars, so even before they fixed that one glitched roof in a patch you should've been able to get every other iron bar but that one?

Of course, I never really bother doing any of the 100% completionist poo poo in these games, so maybe that's why I was able to enjoy it. Even then you would think collecting all the audio logs in Zeta would be worse, as it has to be done the very first time through since it locks you out of most of the ship permanently at the end of it.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Bold Robot posted:

Also, what happens to my base at the Castle if I don't side with the Minutemen? I've built it up a bunch but the Minutemen are really boring.

You always side with the minute men, you basically are that faction.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Wolfsheim posted:

Boy, it must've been a real letdown when you finally did it and discovered that said rifle was a lovely inaccurate mess! Though I recall the 'ultimate' reward being a tribal power armor you get at 100 iron bars, and the rifle being something like 80 bars, so even before they fixed that one glitched roof in a patch you should've been able to get every other iron bar but that one?

Of course, I never really bother doing any of the 100% completionist poo poo in these games, so maybe that's why I was able to enjoy it. Even then you would think collecting all the audio logs in Zeta would be worse, as it has to be done the very first time through since it locks you out of most of the ship permanently at the end of it.

By that point I remember the gun looking pretty cool but I already had like ten better weapons yeah, LOL. The Pitt WAS a terrible buggy mess with a horrible busywork slog though, and I don't recall anything else but the ambience being okay.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Bold Robot posted:

For the BOS and the Institute, it will say "If you do this, the other one will hate you." And that's the point of no return. Except, you're already past the point of no return. Even if you see the pop up and back out, it's already too late. At least with the institute side. I was given a quest to do a thing or inform the brotherhood. Since it tacked on that "inform the brotherhood" that's all I could do at the BOS. I couldn't continue any other quests there until I informed them.

For the railroad, it's weird. For the BOS they say "go kill the railroad" and you're instantly hostile and fail all current railroad quests.. For the Institute they say "go kill the railroad" and then it's left up to you. I wasn't made hostile and I could still work with them.. I haven't tried to do the railroad ending because they are stupid and I hate them.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus

Wolfsheim posted:

I loved that rifle.

Mind you Fallout 3 lacked weapon modding so a silenced scoped rifle was amazing for me.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
One of the biggest missed opportunities in this game is how so few of the faction related quests yield unique legendary items. Had Tinker Tom sold unique upgrades for the deliverer instead of crap you can just craft yourself or unique sets of ballistic clothing that also had some legendary effects or some poo poo it would have made following through with the faction quests a lot more rewarding.

Not to mention just dumb ambient poo poo like people recognizing certain clothing items you're wearing like the Minuteman General outfit or idk what.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

emanresu tnuocca posted:

One of the biggest missed opportunities in this game is how so few of the faction related quests yield unique legendary items. Had Tinker Tom sold unique upgrades for the deliverer instead of crap you can just craft yourself or unique sets of ballistic clothing that also had some legendary effects or some poo poo it would have made following through with the faction quests a lot more rewarding.

It seems weird to use tinker tom in this example, pretty much every faction is devoid of this but tinker tom is unique in having a bunch of stuff.

He has the tinker tom special, which is a unique gun (although one with a generic legendary effect)

He has ballistic weave which is a whole gameplay mechanic and is one of the only unlocks of new crafting options.

He has the weird joke railway 1 damage railway rifle prototype.

He also will sell mods for the deliver that unlock over time which is pretty pointless but seems to be unique in the entire game.

Like tinker tom specifically seems like the place besthedia added a ton of new systems that pretty much never show up any other place in the game. He is by far the most systems rich merchant in the entire game.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
He is the faction vendor which sucks the least but other than the legendary items he has nothing else he carries that can't be crafted by the player, even the ballistic weave thing (which is just about the only faction specific crafting recipe) can't compete with the player's crafted poo poo.

I used him as an example cause he constantly goes "Yo dude I have some new toys" and you go over the entirety of his inventory just to see he's selling some mid-tier receiver for the Deliverer, give me something I can't craft myself instead, that's all I'm saying.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

emanresu tnuocca posted:

even the ballistic weave thing (which is just about the only faction specific crafting recipe) can't compete with the player's crafted poo poo.

I otherwise agree but that's just not true :shrug:

You can't take something like Elder Maxson's coat and upgrade it to have the same amount of DR that ballistic weave would give you otherwise. 110 energy and kinetic damage resist with the armor perk maxed out.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

emanresu tnuocca posted:

He is the faction vendor which sucks the least but other than the legendary items he has nothing else he carries that can't be crafted by the player, even the ballistic weave thing (which is just about the only faction specific crafting recipe) can't compete with the player's crafted poo poo.

I used him as an example cause he constantly goes "Yo dude I have some new toys" and you go over the entirety of his inventory just to see he's selling some mid-tier receiver for the Deliverer, give me something I can't craft myself instead, that's all I'm saying.

I mean it's lose/lose.

If the crafting system lets you craft everything why buy anything you can just craft it.

If you can buy things you can't craft why not just design a bunch more levels in the crafting system till it lets you build anything anyone else could.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Moridin920 posted:

You can't take something like Elder Maxson's coat and upgrade it to have the same amount of DR that ballistic weave would give you otherwise.

I meant to say that the items sold by Tom (which all have Level 1 ballistic weaving) can't compete with what the player can craft once he unlocks the recipe.

Just give him some unique and ultra expensive Mark VI Experimental courser's uniform or something and I'd be all over that, just you know, something I can't produce a better version of all on my own.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Moridin920 posted:

You can't take something like Elder Maxson's coat and upgrade it to have the same amount of DR that ballistic weave would give you otherwise.

What are you getting at? From what I understand, emanresu tnuocca was saying that the things you can buy from Tinker Tom aren't even the highest level of ballistic weave. You can buy what he has or you can literally take the same thing to an armor station and make something way better.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
^^
Yes that is what I meant but I can see how what I wrote could have been understood the other way around.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I mean it's lose/lose.

If the crafting system lets you craft everything why buy anything you can just craft it.

If you can buy things you can't craft why not just design a bunch more levels in the crafting system till it lets you build anything anyone else could.

It really isn't, it can be easily worked around by having unique items with unique effects that can still be upgraded by the player, basically just like all the legendary items in the game work.

It's as trivial as giving tinker tom some unique hat that gives you +2 Endurance or some poo poo that has level 4 ballistic weaving by default, it can still be upgraded and thus both systems get showcased and the player enjoys the best of both worlds.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Just give him some unique and ultra expensive Mark VI Experimental courser's uniform or something and I'd be all over that, just you know, something I can't produce a better version of all on my own.

Then why even put 5 entire skill points into crafting if at the end you just buy something better? Specing deeply in crafting seems like it SHOULD give you some reward and not just "lol, wasted points, spend some caps to obsolete everything you could build"

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Then why even put 5 entire skill points into crafting if at the end you just buy something better? Specing deeply in crafting seems like it SHOULD give you some reward and not just "lol, wasted points, spend some caps to obsolete everything you could build"

idk, I feel like quest and faction rewards being unique and powerful is cool and good and I think a proper balance can be found.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The solution is some good things you can buy and other good things you can make. They are equally good in their own respects but you can't craft one and you can't buy the other. You can either choose or get both or whatever you want.

Edit: Like you could make a hat that gives you charisma or something. But you can't make a hat that gives you intelligence. So you could make the charisma one, or you can buy the int one and add ballistic weave to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Cojawfee posted:

The solution is some good things you can buy and other good things you can make. They are equally good in their own respects but you can't craft one and you can't buy the other. You can either choose or get both or whatever you want.

This should have been the answer to all the crafting perks and every faction quest line.

• Locked thread