Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

new BR album is kinda poo poo, it's really boring. I was pretty pumped because I think Won't Somebody is one of the best songs they've ever written, but the version on this album isn't that great. The acoustic version is so much better, an to a lesser extent the live version on 30 Years Live. Resist Stance is also good and I guess a couple of the tracks are ok but god it's so boring. The Devil In Stitches is so awful I cringed the first time I listened to it. It's pretty embarrassing when the tracks written by Greg are way better than the ones Brett wrote, considering part of the reason the band went to poo poo in the late 90's was because he left. I'm also pissed because of how fantastic New Maps of Hell was, I dunno how they could've put out this so soon after. It's like night and day.

Jokes on me I guess, I'm gonna see them Oct 8th at Riotfest in Chicago and then again 6 days later in Toronto so they've still got my money and devotion!

EDIT: also I just got a free download of the album for preordering the vinyl, and it is a "Deluxe" version that includes an extra song and four live tracks, Best For You, Pessimistic Lines, How Much Is Enough? and Generator. Unfortunately, the mp3 of Generator is completely silent :wtf: also why three songs off Suffer that's weird!

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Sep 27, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh
because Suffer owns

also New Maps of Hell came out three years ago, it's not exactly "so soon" after

Moe_Rahn fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Sep 27, 2010

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
New Maps of Hell was loving incredible, and Dissent of Man isn't terrible but it certainly isn't as good as the previous three albums.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
It's not as good as Empire or New Maps, but I definitely like it more than Process of Belief

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Toaster Beef posted:

New Maps of Hell was loving incredible, and Dissent of Man isn't terrible but it certainly isn't as good as the previous three albums.

I echo these thoughts. Better than most of the Atlantic albums (Grey Race :love: ), but the last few were as good (in a different way) as the first round of Epitaph albums, and this just isn't there.

But the worst Bad Religion album is still mostly good, so I'm OK. Curious to see what the setlist will be in a few weeks.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Dickeye posted:

It's not as good as Empire or New Maps, but I definitely like it more than Process of Belief

I can't possibly agree with you on this, I consider it one of their best albums. The A side is loving incredible. I consider it their third best album, after Recipe for Hate and Against the Grain.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
Can we at least all agree that New America sucked?

With the possible exception of You've Got a Chance?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Toaster Beef posted:

Can we at least all agree that New America sucked?

With the possible exception of You've Got a Chance?

New America and No Control were turds, without argument

Stranger than Fiction and Gray Race were OK, but not great, but they had a few really good tunes each that saved the album.

Those two though? Like someone dipped their balls in my ear and called it music

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Dickeye posted:

New America and No Control were turds, without argument

You should probably stop talking before you embarrass yourself again

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

FateoMcSkippy posted:

You should probably stop talking before you embarrass yourself again

No Substance

gently caress

I always get the names mixed up. No Control is the loving awesome one, No Substance is the lovely one right before New America

Stormageddon
Jan 16, 2008
I am actually just a sentient program made to shitpost, and am still getting my human speed calibration down.
Listened to the album, doesn't really stick with me like Empire or Maps, I also feel really out of place because I liked Process, but I completely acknowledge it isn't because it's like BR, but it's good despite being so unlike them. I still think Dissent is worth picking up for the book, since I could seriously read Greg's writings all day, lyrically or otherwise.

Still think I'm gonna give it a few more listens, though, since I didn't really like Maps right away, but now I think it's probably my third favorite release from them.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Yeah, I'm seriously considering picking the book up when I get some cash

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I preordered the limited edition orange vinyl of the new album and it came with Greg's first book and his new one. All first print copies of his new book are signed :smug:

No Substance has a couple of really good songs on it, (Hear It, The Biggest Killer In American History, No Substance, and Raise Your Voice! which features Campino from Die Toten Hosen :love: on the Punk Rock Songs version he sings some of the verses too) but yeah overall it's pretty bland. Although I read some reviews of it online and apparently a lot of people consider In So Many Ways one of BR's best songs and I can't help but laugh at that. And New America. . . well there's a reason they never, ever play any songs live off of those two albums. It's pretty amazing that in the three times I've seen them live (all within the past three years or so) I've heard Stranger Than Fiction, Come Join Us, and Them And Us, songs I wasn't expecting at all. They also played God Song once which they apparently rarely play live so that was pretty cool! It's one of my favorites.

EDIT: Stranger Than Fiction and Gray Race are both good but from Recipe For Hate on the next four albums slowly decline in quality until they saved themselves finally with Process of Belief.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Downloading Dissent of Man right now. I liked Process of Belief but Empire and New Maps weren't nearly as memorable, though I still think that they're solid. I'll give it a listen after class.

DoHimJob
Nov 30, 2005

GIANT SPACEBALL

DoHimJob fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Apr 22, 2018

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

After listening to the new BR album, I put it on a level slightly below Empire Strikes First. I'm sure that it will grow on me in time when it comes up randomly on my iPod.

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
but count this money
and put my team on
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh
right now for me the new BR has settled at "good tier", next to Stranger Than Fiction and Into The Unknown

cheapandugly
Jul 6, 2007
Every time a new BR album comes out since No Substance I give it a listen and find it a complete disappointment aside from one or two tracks (this time around Wont Somebody), but by the time their next album comes out I love it. Got Greg's new book as well, which I could not put down and read in one sitting.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

cheapandugly posted:

Every time a new BR album comes out since No Substance I give it a listen and find it a complete disappointment aside from one or two tracks (this time around Wont Somebody), but by the time their next album comes out I love it.

You know, I started thinking about it and realized this is exactly what happens to me. I'm listening to the new album again and goddamn if I don't already love it so much more this time around. I'm sure that'll continue. Sigh.

answersyouseek
Aug 19, 2003

No Moderation
I'm pretty sure it's a fact that How Could Hell Be Any Worse is the best Bad Religion record. They haven't even made anything worth listening to since No Control.

Stormageddon
Jan 16, 2008
I am actually just a sentient program made to shitpost, and am still getting my human speed calibration down.
My favorite album is against the grain, but this may have a lot to do with it being the first cd I've ever owned.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

answersyouseek posted:

I'm pretty sure it's a fact that How Could Hell Be Any Worse is the best Bad Religion record. They haven't even made anything worth listening to since No Control.

man I'm glad you said this, I've just now realized that all those hours listening to the albums released after No Control was such a waste and I hated every second of it, even though I thought I enjoyed it at the time. Thank you for this wonderful epiphany you've helped me have.

I dunno if any of you saw this, but there is a Bad Religion tribute album ebing made called "Germs of Perfection," and they seem to be releasing one track from it per day. The first was Tegan and Sara (who?) covering Suffer, and it's pretty goddamn hilarious. The second is Polar Bear Club (who?) covering Better of Dead, but it's kind of lame because it sounds almost exactly the same and what's the point of a cover that sounds exactly like the original? Today's is My Poor Friend Me covered by Frank Turner, and it's pretty awesome. Then again I love the acoustic versions of BR songs.

That reminds me, they really need to release a full acoustic album. The acoustic versions of BR songs that are floating around are all pretty awesome, and I love Greg Graffin's solo albums.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
I watched some special on YouTube not too long ago wherein Gurewitz talked about how Bad Religion songs work in so many different formats because they're musically very simple and rely more on melody or lyrics. Hard to disagree. All There Is would sound good played by a goddamn jug band.

There's a girl on YouTube (this thread has probably mentioned her at some point) who has a ton of acoustic covers of BR songs, and almost every one of them is pretty drat good. Part of that is her own ability (which is somewhat limited) and part of that is the fact that the songs just work.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

man I'm glad you said this, I've just now realized that all those hours listening to the albums released after No Control was such a waste and I hated every second of it, even though I thought I enjoyed it at the time. Thank you for this wonderful epiphany you've helped me have.

I dunno if any of you saw this, but there is a Bad Religion tribute album ebing made called "Germs of Perfection," and they seem to be releasing one track from it per day. The first was Tegan and Sara (who?) covering Suffer, and it's pretty goddamn hilarious. The second is Polar Bear Club (who?) covering Better of Dead, but it's kind of lame because it sounds almost exactly the same and what's the point of a cover that sounds exactly like the original? Today's is My Poor Friend Me covered by Frank Turner, and it's pretty awesome. Then again I love the acoustic versions of BR songs.

That reminds me, they really need to release a full acoustic album. The acoustic versions of BR songs that are floating around are all pretty awesome, and I love Greg Graffin's solo albums.

The whole thing is gonna be up on October 19 on SPIN, for free. I'm pumped. Also if you seriously don't know who Tegan and Sara are I'm surprised.

e: Toaster, if you have links to either that video or that girl's channel I'd be interested.

Stormageddon
Jan 16, 2008

Dickeye posted:

The whole thing is gonna be up on October 19 on SPIN, for free. I'm pumped. Also if you seriously don't know who Tegan and Sara are I'm surprised.

e: Toaster, if you have links to either that video or that girl's channel I'd be interested.

I assume he's referring to her:
http://www.youtube.com/user/2hamsters1couple#p/a

She is okay, but she does have a few vids of meeting the band and whatnot that are pretty cool

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

Kipory posted:

I assume he's referring to her:
http://www.youtube.com/user/2hamsters1couple#p/a

She is okay, but she does have a few vids of meeting the band and whatnot that are pretty cool

Yup, that's the girl. I find her cute as hell, too, so that helps.

Oh! And the video I was talking about starts here (the subsequent parts are linked through the related videos and such):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ha_NlrmTe6U

Man, it never gets old watching Greg Graffin on stage. He's so awkward.

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
but count this money
and put my team on
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh
greg graffin wrote and recorded the song "i love my computer" and thought it was good enough to put on a record and actually put it on a record that was released and people bought it

greg graffin is goony as gently caress and is probably reading this thread right now

RagingPawn
Nov 29, 2007
the next few months should actually be quite good show wise, especially for the uk.

Touche Amore, Transit and Man Overboard, then in january Tigers Jaw, which im so psyched about

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Apparently Glassjaw released 2 singles this year that I didn't know about until yesterday. gently caress I want the new album already.

EDIT: Also some guy at the Envy show was telling me about a band that was 2 dudes from Ceremony and 2 from some other bands that he said sounded like Glassjaw but I totally forget the name, anybody know what I'm talking about?

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Sep 30, 2010

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Moe_Rahn posted:

greg graffin wrote and recorded the song "i love my computer" and thought it was good enough to put on a record and actually put it on a record that was released and people bought it

greg graffin is goony as gently caress and is probably reading this thread right now

yeah I try not to think about that song. . . so loving bad. . .

speaking of New America, the title track is a bad song with a totally awesome music video. Which is weird because pretty much all of the rest of the videos from their Atlantic era are poo poo. Nothing compares to American Jesus, Struck A Nerve, and Atomic Garden for BR videos, except maybe New Dark Ages which has a cool video.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I always liked the one for Los Angeles Is Burning

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010
http://www.comadreblog.com/

It's that time again. Everyone go and download the new Comadre mixtape for free.

Stormageddon
Jan 16, 2008

Moe_Rahn posted:

I always took that song as one making fun of the goony sorts, not relating to them. Nothing about that song strikes me as pro-geek at all.

The song, however, is still quite bad, yeah. But New America v:v:v

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
Everyone's bitching about bad Bad Religion albums but not one mention of "Into The Unknown"?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Ferrule posted:

Everyone's bitching about bad Bad Religion albums but not one mention of "Into The Unknown"?

We just pretend that didn't happen, much like the band itself

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
but count this money
and put my team on
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh
it's better than anyone will ever give it credit for, but at the core it's still a bunch of 17-year-olds trying to be pink floyd

aniero
Oct 11, 2009

Who can forget classics like "Billy Gnosis" "Losing Generation" and, of course the epic ballad "Time and Disregard".

Pretty sure the band hates that record and wish it never existed.

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
but count this money
and put my team on
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh
if you thought i was kidding with the pink floyd thing, listen to "the dichotomy" and then the middle part of "pigs (3 different ones)

exact same song

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

speaking of New America, the title track is a bad song with a totally awesome music video. Which is weird because pretty much all of the rest of the videos from their Atlantic era are poo poo. Nothing compares to American Jesus, Struck A Nerve, and Atomic Garden for BR videos, except maybe New Dark Ages which has a cool video.

This is correct, just about every video they did for Atlantic are total trash.
For example, from the Streets of America video

It's as if the director said "Oh my god! Look at this Video Toaster! Let's use every loving effect in the most useless and insane way possible!" They took a half way decent song and make the video totally and utterly unexplainable.

The Raise Your Voice video is also just as lovely. It takes a very simple song and places it in a video that makes no sense what so ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

act five
Jul 13, 2007

the industry is a fagfest, rappers wearin they boxers backwards for easy access
Oh man, Touche Amore ripped poo poo up tonight. Envy was amazing, as expected. It's a shame Trash Talk had to cancel though