Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe

kilky posted:

That's awesome! I too regret buying the CF Quad version of the 28G Nano-cube. I can't stand the noise and it could look so much better. Can you link to the kit you used here?

Sure - http://shop.stevesleds.com/Nanocube-28-LED-Light-System-NC28RF.htm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

After weeks of seeing no movement on the cycle, I'm finally getting heavy nitrite readings and detectable nitrates. Hopefully it will be done in a few more weeks now. I also picked up a hi fin goby and tiger pistol shrimp, and added them to the quarantine tank with my two clowns. My plans for a final stock list are:

2 clowns
1 hi fin goby
1 tiger pistol shrimp
1 royal gramma
1 sailfin blenny
1 banggai cardinal
1 fairy wrasse (maybe? unsure if 40g will work out)

Plus whatever various snails and crabs I get for CUC.

Sound good?

e: forgot the blenny!

Enos Cabell fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jan 10, 2015

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:
I know some wrasses get loving massive! The fairy off hand I can't remember. Cardinals are awesome :)

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I guess I actually meant the carpenters flasher wrasse, but sounds like they are both too much for a 40g anyway.

Wandering Orange
Sep 8, 2012

Sanchezz, good to hear from ya even if not the best news. What are you gonna do for lighting on the new hotness?

Enos, those clown photos are loving crisp, man. What'd you shoot those with? And have you done any test photos under reef lighting yet?

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Wandering Orange posted:

Sanchezz, good to hear from ya even if not the best news. What are you gonna do for lighting on the new hotness?

Enos, those clown photos are loving crisp, man. What'd you shoot those with? And have you done any test photos under reef lighting yet?

Using the same light, its way overkill for the 30 so I'll be able to turn down the brightness a bit. Everything is cycling currently!

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor

Enos Cabell posted:

After weeks of seeing no movement on the cycle, I'm finally getting heavy nitrite readings and detectable nitrates. Hopefully it will be done in a few more weeks now. I also picked up a hi fin goby and tiger pistol shrimp, and added them to the quarantine tank with my two clowns. My plans for a final stock list are:

2 clowns
1 hi fin goby
1 tiger pistol shrimp
1 royal gramma
1 sailfin blenny
1 banggai cardinal
1 fairy wrasse (maybe? unsure if 40g will work out)

Plus whatever various snails and crabs I get for CUC.

Sound good?

e: forgot the blenny!

I'd avoid the gramma if you've got 40 gallons, 5 or 6 fish is good enough for that tank. Grammas can be total dicks man, especially when there's not a lot of room to go around.

For another tiny, adorable splash of color consider a gumdrop goby. They are yellow little guys that pop around the tank resting on various things.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

visuvius posted:

I'd avoid the gramma if you've got 40 gallons, 5 or 6 fish is good enough for that tank. Grammas can be total dicks man, especially when there's not a lot of room to go around.

For another tiny, adorable splash of color consider a gumdrop goby. They are yellow little guys that pop around the tank resting on various things.

A clown goby? They also come in green marbled and black, but be weary sometimes they can irritate corals if they find them to be comfortable sitting spots.

Warsteiner
Jan 14, 2006

I was finally able to capture some pictures of this guy after many months of hearing things clanging around at night. I caught sight of it just last month. The hard part was luring him out of his rock to get a picture.
I knew it was a worm of some sort and luckily it seems to be pretty docile and likes to eat reef pellets and not my crabs and snails. I have no fish to worry about.
After much research I believe the worm to be a eunice torquata. I like this very much and will keep it.

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

And now I knew that while my body sat safe in the cheerful little church, he had been hunting my soul in the Court of the Dragon.

Warsteiner posted:

After much research I believe the worm to be a eunice torquata. I like this very much and will keep it.

Awesome picture. Definitely some sort of Eunice worm, and definitely not the feared (and loathsome) aphroditois variety. I had one in my tank for about a year before the tank sprung a leak - mine was of an undetermined species and was extremely shy and light sensitive. It was also extremely aggressive to snails (and, I suspect to clams). It killed off most of my CUC and made an interesting little fortress wall out of empty snail shells.

I'm really surprised you were able to get such a great shot. There must be species differences in how cryptic these guys are; mine would shoot into the rock work at the slightest hint of light or motion on my end.

How did you arrive at the torquata species identification?

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Cleaned up the old tank a bit in anticipation of getting everything out, I haven't really been able to see inside the tank in a few months, so I didn't know what the damage was. It basically turned into one of those things that you're scared to look at, but you keep thinking it's fine, so you don't look even though you know it's not fine.

I took out all of the dead corals, which pretty was pretty much everything. Huge acro colony gone, all the euphylia, gone, the brain, leather, blastos, BTA and maxi-minis are all fine, but they'll need to be pried from the rocks they're on as they're covered in GHA. Most of the huge red monti is toast, as is most of the purple monti. I'm going to frag those and grow them out again though. The small frags that did survive are in teh tupperware with a herd of hermits to try to remove any GHA that might be on the plugs/skeletons.

At this point I'm basically starting over, which is a shame.

Here's some pics:

The new tank hasn't been scaped yet, but will be after I shuffle everything around.

I got attacked by my clown, the fucker drew blood! You can barely see it in the crook of my ring/pinkie finger but man did that catch me by surprise :)

Anyway, here's to hoping I can keep this tank in good shape. I'm going to try!

Warsteiner
Jan 14, 2006

Thank Castaign! I'm glad you asked. When I speek about my worm adventures to other people it doesn't really excite them. Really! Weird non SW people.

I stalked this worm for a long time. Like yours it was building a little fortress which is just adorable. I could hear things being tossed around at night time for 6 MONTHS. As soon as I would get up from bed or the couch it was dead silent and the only sign of something being thrown around was shells and my annomia alert thing stuck to a rock (one of these things: http://www.seachem.com/Products/product_pages/AmmoniaAlert.html) lol.
You're right, they do jet back home at the slightest thing. I was lucky enough to spot it once and since that sighting I have been determined to get a picture. During the holiday season I had lots of time off work and decided that I would get a picture of this worm on my holiday. I mean there was no stopping me. I sat and waited and waited. One day it all just came together and he didn't jet away when I went to press the camera button. It's a Christmas miracle.

I came to the conclusion that it was a torquata by reading a lot on marinespecies.org and eol.org. I found a really good paper that went into great detail about behaviors of eunice worms and identifications but I can't find it now. It was probably linked in one of the two websites.
Completely uneducated guess though. It could be something else.

In short I spent my Christmas holiday stalking my tank and reading about worms.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Warsteiner posted:

In short I spent my Christmas holiday stalking my tank and reading about worms.

That's so rad, it's quite often you hear about people seeing/hearing things in their tanks but at the same time so rare that they actually get a photo of the culprit. Great photo, too!

Here's the jerk that bit me last night:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Big female clowns are assholes. Mine nip at me all the time, too.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Hit the one month mark on the cycle, and still not quite there yet. Ammonia has dropped to zero, but still have quite a bit of nitrite. Hopefully those drop off over the next week or so, and I'll get a clean up crew started. Took a few shots of the tank, and the hair algae that is cropping up.

DSC_8908.jpg by meramsey, on Flickr

DSC_0018.jpg by meramsey, on Flickr

DSC_0046.jpg by meramsey, on Flickr

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

That looks like Cyanobacteria, get that out as quick as you can with a turkey baster or something :) Those spots that are popping up could also indicate low flow areas, I'd rearrange your powerhead positioning to try to spread the flow more if you can. I really like your rockwork too, btw!

Also, dunno if there's any SoCal fish folks here, but I figured I'd try to peddle my wares here as well.

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/356476-40-breeder20-sump-full-setup-with-pumpheater-socal-175/

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Well, tank is cycled and I've got a handful of hermit crabs and nerite snails in there doing their thing now. Next weekend I should be able to move my quarantined fish in, and then start to think about picking up another fish or two to keep that QT going.

Gillingham
Nov 16, 2011
On the subject of hawking stuff to socal people, does anyone need a chiller? http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv/for/4859390995.html has been sitting in my garage for a year

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Gillingham posted:

On the subject of hawking stuff to socal people, does anyone need a chiller? http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv/for/4859390995.html has been sitting in my garage for a year

Where in SoCal? Jim's Exotic will probably give you some credit for it?

And, it took only 10 hours, but the tank swap is done. Draining, cleaning, cleaning, cleaning, scrubbing, cleaning, filling, acclimating, filling, acclimating etc. etc. forever.

Tote-o-fish

This is the smaller YWG, he immediately found the tube that was in his old tank.

And of course the clowns couldn't wait until the nem wasn't pissed as heck.

That's everything that survived, and surprisingly most of the stuff that did survive for almost a year without a water change were all of the nems. Hardy mofos if you ask me. Also included, blastos, leather, some monti pieces, the brain sort of, a group of three ricordeas that I didn't know were in there, and.. the fish.

I also acclimated both YWGs at the same time, in the same bin so hopefully they don't kill eachother. This whole project was to clear up some tanks and make room in the house. The bigger YWG came out of the 40br and the smaller one has lived by himself in an 8g cube for 6+ years.

Sheesh, I'm so done.

Frozen Pizza Party fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Jan 27, 2015

Gillingham
Nov 16, 2011

SaNChEzZ posted:

Where in SoCal? Jim's Exotic will probably give you some credit for it?
Pasadena, unfortunately credit doesn't do me much good, I don't have any running tanks right now and only tank I have is a small fluval EBI. May just keep re-posting to craiglist or who knows use it maybe

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Welp, woke up this morning to a YWG shrimp chip. T'was the smaller of the two, had him for 6 years :rip: colonel mustard.

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor
So he jumped or what? Had a firefish do that last year, it was the craziest poo poo to come home to a dried out fish sitting on your counter.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

visuvius posted:

So he jumped or what? Had a firefish do that last year, it was the craziest poo poo to come home to a dried out fish sitting on your counter.

Yep, found him about 5 feet from the tank.

In other news though, this is the second consecutive tank move in which one nem has become two!

Pretty neat that in a matter of hours it's split and already taken off to find a new home.

Frozen Pizza Party fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jan 28, 2015

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

So, goby #2 jumped early this morning. Luckily we found him before he dried up and he seems ok. Running the tank with the lid on for a while I guess. Sidenote: the new JBJ glass lids are terribly designed.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Got my 2 clownfish, the hi-fin goby, and the pistol shrimp out of quarantine and into the display now. Everyone seems to be doing great so far.

Today I picked up a banggai cardinal, firefish goby, royal gramma and bi-color blenny. All are in quarantine for the next month, and I think I'm done stocking fish at this point.

Also, ordered an mp40 after the price drop, and might be picking up a DIY led fixture from of the LFS guys. Can't believe how much I've spent on sw stuff in the last few months, drat!

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor
For that price you weren't feelin' the new Maxspect Gyre?

I think I might be pulling the trigger on the smaller version in the next couple of weeks.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

visuvius posted:

For that price you weren't feelin' the new Maxspect Gyre?

I think I might be pulling the trigger on the smaller version in the next couple of weeks.

The current gyre is too big for my 40b, and I really like the motor/cord being on the outside of the tank. Really interested in how the smaller one pans out, I may end up switching over.

Wandering Orange
Sep 8, 2012

Credit card data breach at Bulk Reef Supply. No official notice or timeline yet though, just word of mouth from locals.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Wandering Orange posted:

Credit card data breach at Bulk Reef Supply. No official notice or timeline yet though, just word of mouth from locals.

drat, glad I've used paypal when buying there.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Probably upgrading from my 29g Biocube to a 54g corner tank...

:shepspends:

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Wandering Orange posted:

Huh. I just bought some stuff from there. Oh well, maybe I'll get a chip-and-sign card this time.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Reef Breeders Photon 32 is on the way, gently caress this hobby!

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Quarantine tank has paid off already, discovered ich on my royal gramma last night. This morning my bi-color blenny was flashing, but no spots on him yet. I think I'm going to try the tank transfer method to treat, rather than cupramine. Anyone else tried it before?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

MrYenko posted:

Probably upgrading from my 29g Biocube to a 54g corner tank...

gently caress me sideways. This deal was just too good to pass up. Factory-drilled 54 corner with a sump, return pump, dimming 40w single-chip LED white pendant and dual dimming LED actinic strips, an RO/DI system, stand, hood, all the plumbing, heater, auto-topoff, a bunch of chemicals, test stuff, supplements, etc...

I need a protein skimmer, a piece of acrylic cut to fit in the top of the hood to prevent wet-cat syndrome, and some dry rock. And I think I'm going to add an additional weir to the sump for a refugium, and put my Tunze ATO on it instead of the float-switch DIY that it came with.

I'm in deep, guys. :shepspends:

Any suggestions for protein skimmers? I'm looking at the Reef Octopus 110 space saver.

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor
Cool man, I like corner tanks. I really like my AquaMaxx Cone 2. Well built, solid pump, pulls out a ton of poo poo. Its fairly well regarded on ReefCentral.

Also have you considered something like Real Reef instead of Dry Rock? That stuff worked out great for me. The shapes are great.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

visuvius posted:

Cool man, I like corner tanks. I really like my AquaMaxx Cone 2. Well built, solid pump, pulls out a ton of poo poo. Its fairly well regarded on ReefCentral.

Thanks. They're a bit oversized for the room I have, though. Even the 2 is pretty hugeish.

visuvius posted:

Also have you considered something like Real Reef instead of Dry Rock? That stuff worked out great for me. The shapes are great.

I had never actually heard of this stuff. It looks great, but it costs almost twice what I can get fresh aquacultured live rock for, here. :(

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

I have a bubble magus NAC 3.5 if that will work for you I'll cut you a good deal on it.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Tank is doing great, finally!

Took a picture and all of the fish decided to come out to see what was going on. including the YWG who is always camera shy:

Also picked up the first coral addition, a small pocillopora frag. It's nice and happy with great extension.

Frozen Pizza Party fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Feb 17, 2015

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

MrYenko posted:

Any suggestions for protein skimmers? I'm looking at the Reef Octopus 110 space saver.

I basically switched to all Reef Octopus plumbed equipment (except a kalk stirrer) and couldn't be happier. CR 3000D dual chamber calcium reactor, then BR-110 biopellet reactor in-line with a DNWB 110 recirculating skimmer.

The recirc skimmer model is really absurdly good but you need to get a separate feed pump IIRC (which was perfect for me since I needed it all in-line with a bio-pellet reactor which needed a feed pump to begin with). But it's well worth the money.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Feb 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/security-update

Bulk Reef Supply compromised at some point since July through end of January.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Feb 19, 2015

• Locked thread