Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

What the fuck is up, Denny's?!
I've tried to find this game for more than a decade or maybe two, with absolutely no luck.

The only thing I remember is that it's a 2d side-scroller. You're some kind of guy on a spaceship, don't remember if you're the owner or not. I remember you end up going to all sorts of different planets and you get to walk around a bit. I remember them being pretty colorful, some quite full of vegatation. You can't spend too much time outside on some of these planets because your oxygen starts to run out. The spaceship itself is pretty big. I think at some point it breaks down and you need to run around finding spare parts. You might or might have not had some kind of laser blaster weapon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
Can you approximate the year? Because "a decade or two" is a huge range to work with. Commander Keen and Cosmo's Cosmic Adventure are the first "find spaceship parts" games I can think of.

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

I'd say at least 15 years ago if not older. I don't remember the characters being particularly cartoony, and the action was more slow paced and RPG-like rather than fast paced side-scroller.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.
you're not thinking of one of the space quest games, are you? there are points where you get to shoot a laser gun.

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

Drunk Tomato posted:

you're not thinking of one of the space quest games, are you? there are points where you get to shoot a laser gun.

That's a pretty good guess, although I don't think so. Some of memories I have are definitely reminiscent of the earlier SQ games though, for sure.

Flopstick
Jul 10, 2011

Top Cop

StickFigs posted:

I never had an Atari but I wouldnt be surprised if it was like a MS-DOS fan port of that game.

Universal Hero was what I was thinking of, but after reading up on it I don't think it's what you're after.

Chedranian Girl
Sep 15, 2008

IS THAT A WEAPON?
I asked about this one before but never got an answer... that was right near the start of the thread so I'm hoping maybe I can refresh someone's memory. I'd love to find this one and play it again but my memory of it is SO vague, I doubt anyone can help.

Old Amstrad CPC 6128 game. You're a space man in space, it's a platformer, and you can get in this round little bubble shaped space ship to move about the levels. The space ship can fly around but there are some areas it can't access I think. I think you might have to dock someplaces to get oxygen.

Sorry it's so vague. Like I say, it's a shot in the dark really. I remember most of our old Amstrad games but this one completely eludes me.

alejandro
Dec 18, 2006

dirty sanchez

THE PWNER posted:

I'm thinking of a game that I think was for the PS1. All that I remember is that it was a futuristic combat sports game which I *think* vaguely resembled hockey, except you could kill/fight dudes and it was encouraged. I think it was top down? Not sure, don't remember much, this was probably pre-2000.

If i'm remembering right (keep in mind that its entirely possible these things were not even in this game and i'm remembering something else) it had a career mode type thing where when your players died they were gone for good and you had to replace them? Or maybe it just had a career mode and I made that part up.

If it isn't Speedball 2100, try Dead Ball Zone:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RNyGClQw8w

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

Nope. I played it in elementary school (so no later than 1989) from diskettes on a black-and-green monitor. It wasn't a game in an encyclopedia program - it was a game where you had to use a physical copy of an encyclopedia to play it.

Yup, same here...around the same time too. You didn't live in Illinois at the time, by any chance, did you?

Mouser..
Apr 1, 2010

THE PWNER posted:

I'm thinking of a game that I think was for the PS1. All that I remember is that it was a futuristic combat sports game which I *think* vaguely resembled hockey, except you could kill/fight dudes and it was encouraged. I think it was top down? Not sure, don't remember much, this was probably pre-2000.

If i'm remembering right (keep in mind that its entirely possible these things were not even in this game and i'm remembering something else) it had a career mode type thing where when your players died they were gone for good and you had to replace them? Or maybe it just had a career mode and I made that part up.

Are you thinking of Hyperblade ?

EDIT:Hyperblade trailer

Mouser.. fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Feb 3, 2013

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

JPrime posted:

Yup, same here...around the same time too. You didn't live in Illinois at the time, by any chance, did you?

No, but only because my family moved in '85.

Project1
Dec 30, 2003

it's time
A BBC Acorn game, or whatever those things were. It was a hotseat multiplayer game, and in it you were stranded on the wrong side of a river. You could catch fish and cook it on the fire, chop down trees for firewood or materials, build a bridge, or possibly make a raft. Rain could happen, and it would put out the fire, and possibly damage you, if you didn't shelter in a cave.

Greaseman
Aug 12, 2007
An old text-based CYOA type game, where you're in a company and rise or fall through the ranks depending on your choices.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Greaseman posted:

An old text-based CYOA type game, where you're in a company and rise or fall through the ranks depending on your choices.

Try this.

general chaos
May 20, 2001
There was a game I've personally never played before. It was in the early days of the Let's Play subforum where it was billed as a customizeable Megaman. It had NES-era graphics and you could swap out different parts of your character to change the gameplay. Put on a pair of tank treads or a different head, etc.

Anyone else remember it?

MPLS to NOLA
Aug 14, 2010

i gotta little trigger
twitchin in my brain
and when that doesn't start
there's murder in my heart

Joey Vaporwave posted:

OK smarties Let's Help: you play as a writer who comes across old reels of an apocryphal self directing hispanic (Jew actually) silent film comedy star's acting and after publishing basically a run down of his known works and why you love them a correspondence begins with A Lady who eventually invites you to New Mexico where there is a full archive of the man's work. Any ideas?

this isn't a joke somebody please

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Joey Vaporwave posted:

I went looking for it actually, never played the game but it sounds interesting. Didn't turn up anything but I want to keep looking. Was it an adventure game?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Joey Vaporwave posted:

Platform? General date that you played? Gameplay style or something?

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

al-azad posted:

Platform? General date that you played? Gameplay style or something?

Yeah, the description is pretty woeful for information to help narrow it down.
I'm going to go with "R-Type".

Chunderstorm
May 9, 2010

legs crossed like a buddhist
smokin' buddha
angry tuna
Cross-posted from Yahoo Answers because I couldn't find this drat thread.

I remember this old game from when I was 2 or 3 years old, playing on a Gateway 2000 computer. Must have been running Windows 95. I remember two distinct images from this game:

1. An elephant watching something that looked like a peanut on TV. The 'peanut' says: "How do you make an elephant float?! A glass of root beer, a scoop of ice cream, and an elephant!" The elephant then laughs a really hearty laugh.

2. A weird portrait of a cartoony ghost in a cemetery. The ghost screams, and a hand pops out of a nearby grave wagging its finger and says, "Shhhh... this is a no screaming zone!" to which the ghost replies, "Oh, sorry."

I wish I had more info than this, but that's all I've got.

Belle Isle Tech
Aug 28, 2009
This might get better results in the MAME thread but it appears to be dead. I'm looking for the name of an arcade game I played a long time ago on an AstroCity cab, and because of the fact that it was on an AstroCity cab (and it was in Japanese) I'm not sure if it was a NeoGeo, CPS, or whatever type game. Basically it's like a beat-em-up with a different type of view than normal side scrollers, kind of like Power Stone but it didn't have 3D graphics, and it had selectable characters with power ups and weapons. I'm pretty sure at the end of each level there was a boss and after you defeated it there were treasures with power ups and stuff. I remember playing as a girl and you could do special moves that would deplete your HP. Hopefully my description narrows down the possibilities somewhat since I know there are so many different beat-em-ups out there.

edit: I just came across a video for Light Bringer/Dungeon Magic on YouTube which is just like the game I was describing and could very well be it, but I'll leave this here to see if anyone recognizes it and knows of any other games like it. One thing I remember about the game that I don't see in the video was fighting indoors/in a bar and being able to pick up objects like bats and maybe even guns:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_s9f3FMVKcg

Belle Isle Tech fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Feb 11, 2013

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The very first level in Light Bringer is a tavern but I don't think there are any guns in the game.

Growl also begins in a bar and has firearms but there's no real powerups and no female character.

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

Don't smoke, kids... Unless you have to.

general chaos posted:

There was a game I've personally never played before. It was in the early days of the Let's Play subforum where it was billed as a customizeable Megaman. It had NES-era graphics and you could swap out different parts of your character to change the gameplay. Put on a pair of tank treads or a different head, etc.

Anyone else remember it?

Cocoron?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I548U59HoTc

Belle Isle Tech
Aug 28, 2009

al-azad posted:

The very first level in Light Bringer is a tavern but I don't think there are any guns in the game.

Growl also begins in a bar and has firearms but there's no real powerups and no female character.

Thanks, I figured since it was so long ago that I might be mistaking certain things from other games.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Has to be, with him mentioning tank treads. He's specifically thinking of Deceased Crab's LP of it, with "Singing Ninja Tank" being the memorable part of the LP.

Malorie
Jun 2, 2008

Oh god... I think there's someone... Behind me!
This might have an obvious answer, but I'd like at least some kind of confirmation of the title of something I vaguely remember from my childhood...

It was a DOS comic creator, that ran in EGA graphics mode... it might have been CGA, but I think EGA is more likely. Low resolution, lots of black, white, and dithered colours. You could set a background, choose characters to put in the panels, write speech bubbles, and then print off your comic page on your printer. If I were to guess a date of when it was made, I'd say anywhere from mid-80s to early-90s. That's all I can really remember from it!

I remember it just being called something generic like 'Comic Creator', but I can't find a single trace of it online, and I'm not completely sure I'm even googling for the correct title. It's not technically a game, which is probably why it's not on anything like MobyGames, but... hey, it was a game to me at least! :v: I'd love to just find even a screenshot of it again for the sake of nostalgia.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

Malorie posted:

This might have an obvious answer, but I'd like at least some kind of confirmation of the title of something I vaguely remember from my childhood...

It was a DOS comic creator, that ran in EGA graphics mode... it might have been CGA, but I think EGA is more likely. Low resolution, lots of black, white, and dithered colours. You could set a background, choose characters to put in the panels, write speech bubbles, and then print off your comic page on your printer. If I were to guess a date of when it was made, I'd say anywhere from mid-80s to early-90s. That's all I can really remember from it!

I remember it just being called something generic like 'Comic Creator', but I can't find a single trace of it online, and I'm not completely sure I'm even googling for the correct title. It's not technically a game, which is probably why it's not on anything like MobyGames, but... hey, it was a game to me at least! :v: I'd love to just find even a screenshot of it again for the sake of nostalgia.

Was it something like this? Apparently it was released on DOS as well. Oddly enough, it's not the one I remember playing with on an Apple IIe back in the 80's...so I guess I get to ask if anyone remembers something like this, but more kid-oriented and with alien graphics.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

Malorie posted:

There was a licensed Disney comic creator like this, I don't know if it was the same program or part of bundle but it had a crossword puzzle creator too.

Malorie
Jun 2, 2008

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

Was it something like this? Apparently it was released on DOS as well. Oddly enough, it's not the one I remember playing with on an Apple IIe back in the 80's...so I guess I get to ask if anyone remembers something like this, but more kid-oriented and with alien graphics.
Ah, I think that may be it! I think I remember that blobby dude on the title screen being one of the characters you could choose. Now to try and hunt down a way to actually try this program out to see if it matches up with my memory or not!

Malorie
Jun 2, 2008

Hooray!

Thanks so much for the help, Kugyou no Tenshi. This is exactly the program I was thinking of! I could only find the Apple IIgs version instead of the DOS version I had, but it works exactly the same and has all the same art. My nostalgia is sated!

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person

Soarer posted:

This has been bugging me for years. I remember playing an online CCG that was set in a futurist world. The game basically revolved around setting up a "base" card that was hidden from the other player and you had to find and destroy theirs before they found yours. There was sort of a board with lines connecting points where a players base could be and you had character cards that could move and infiltrate. I believe they also had equipment card. The game gave you a free starter deck but boosters cost money (which I couldn't buy online as a kid) but you were able to re-roll your starter deck until you had something you were happy with. That's all I really remember but I'm sure there were other goons that played this.

ChronX

Supposedly still running, but with 6 years of a promised sequel it's not looking too good.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Malorie posted:

Hooray!

Thanks so much for the help, Kugyou no Tenshi. This is exactly the program I was thinking of! I could only find the Apple IIgs version instead of the DOS version I had, but it works exactly the same and has all the same art. My nostalgia is sated!

This is like, the best 'that's it thanks!' post ever

Nerdfest X
Feb 7, 2008
UberDork Extreme
An arcade vector graphic green screen-only game from early 80's. You were a square spaceship that stayed in the middle of the screen. Baddies fly around your space ship, do a lap or two around you, then attempted to crash into you, and you had to shoot them. As them game progresses, more and more baddies come, they get faster, and they wait less time before they start to kamikazi, until it becomes overwhelming. You had one button for "fire' that you spammed like mad, and 4 other buttons in each cardinal direction that pointed the laser, which could only point in one direction a time. Baddies were one shot kills, and a single baddies crashing into you was a life lost. Although not intended to be a co-op effort, we would play this game in pairs, with one person doing the aiming, pushing one of the 4 buttons (up, down, left or right) and the other person using 2 hands to push the fire button as fast as humanly possible repeatedly to increase the firing rate.

Red Mike
Jul 11, 2011
I'm trying to remember a DOS game from around 1991, or so. I believe it was a puzzle game, mostly, but the only thing I vividly remember is a main screen which depicts a wizard/mage in dark clothing complete with pointy hat, standing in the foreground, with a green landscape in the foreground. The wizard was holding a staff, and to his side, text showed up, consisting of the game's narrative. The point of the game was somehow helping the wizard recover some treasure of his. I seem to remember the landscape being quite well-drawn, but I'm definitely imagining things that aren't capable with technology available at the time, so I'm probably conflating two games into one. Long shot, but yeah.

e: Might have been 1990, unlikely to be earlier than that.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Nerdfest X posted:

An arcade vector graphic green screen-only game from early 80's. You were a square spaceship that stayed in the middle of the screen. Baddies fly around your space ship, do a lap or two around you, then attempted to crash into you, and you had to shoot them. As them game progresses, more and more baddies come, they get faster, and they wait less time before they start to kamikazi, until it becomes overwhelming. You had one button for "fire' that you spammed like mad, and 4 other buttons in each cardinal direction that pointed the laser, which could only point in one direction a time. Baddies were one shot kills, and a single baddies crashing into you was a life lost. Although not intended to be a co-op effort, we would play this game in pairs, with one person doing the aiming, pushing one of the 4 buttons (up, down, left or right) and the other person using 2 hands to push the fire button as fast as humanly possible repeatedly to increase the firing rate.

There were a lot of clones of the basic idea, but most famously this was the pack-in game with the Vectrex home vector graphics arcade system: Minestorm

Kamer Kamer Cola
Dec 25, 2009

Red Mike posted:

I'm trying to remember a DOS game from around 1991, or so. I believe it was a puzzle game, mostly, but the only thing I vividly remember is a main screen which depicts a wizard/mage in dark clothing complete with pointy hat, standing in the foreground, with a green landscape in the foreground. The wizard was holding a staff, and to his side, text showed up, consisting of the game's narrative. The point of the game was somehow helping the wizard recover some treasure of his. I seem to remember the landscape being quite well-drawn, but I'm definitely imagining things that aren't capable with technology available at the time, so I'm probably conflating two games into one. Long shot, but yeah.

Solstice?

Red Mike
Jul 11, 2011
Pretty good guess, especially considering the title screen, but I didn't have a NES/SNES, so it can't have been. The gameplay itself doesn't look familiar, either.

Nerdfest X
Feb 7, 2008
UberDork Extreme

chairface posted:

There were a lot of clones of the basic idea, but most famously this was the pack-in game with the Vectrex home vector graphics arcade system: Minestorm

Sorry, that's not it. This was a stand up cabinet game at the arcade. Your ship stayed in the middle of the screen. It didnt move, you could only control when it fired, and which direction. In gameplay terms it was like asteroids, except you did not control the ship, just shoot, and instead of spinning to aim, you pressed one of the four directional buttons. The enemies didn't float aimlessly, they moved in a circle around you. The ship was larger than the asteroids ship as far as screen area (asteroids was nickle sized, this ship is baseball sized). The game was basically a whack-a-mole. Very little strategy other than 1)press fire really, really fast 2) aim the laser in the right direction.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Red Mike posted:

Pretty good guess, especially considering the title screen, but I didn't have a NES/SNES, so it can't have been. The gameplay itself doesn't look familiar, either.

Did you have a Genesis? Because it could be rings of power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Red Mike posted:

How sure are you that it was a puzzle game? You might be thinking of a screen from Hocus Pocus or something like that around those times.

http://www.myabandonware.com/media/captures/H/hocus-pocus/thumbs/hocus-pocus_3.jpg

I played a whole bunch of puzzle games around that time, do you remember any more details?