Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

To keep my cat (5 months old) from clawing furniture and hopping on the kitchen counter I've tried putting down double sided tape and tinfoil.

He doesn't mind the tape, and he tried to eat the goddamn tinfoil.

What else do I try?
Kitchen counter: wet down the counter maybe? Get one of those motion sensing compressed air SCAT things?

Clawing furniture: are you providing your cat with enough good scratching alternatives nearby(VERY IMPORTANT)? You trimming your cats nails? You try double-sided tape on the furniture?(different than the table, seeing as tape is weird to claw through) Maybe try Feliway spray? Maybe try a citrus scent spray(tends to be temporary)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

I just adopted a 3 year old cat and i'm curious if she'll automatically use the litter box I put out for her? I have no idea if its the same brand of litter she had at the foster parents so i'm a little worried that she won't figure it out even though I kind of know that cats like soft loose material to do their business. The litter box is in my laundry room, which was the first place she ran and hid when I let her out of the carrier (she hid behind my washer for about an hour before coming out and exploring).

I'm sure i'm worrying about nothing, but this is my first cat (had dogs growing up) and my first pet since moving out on my own.

ATP5G1
Jun 22, 2005
Fun Shoe
Drop her in it so she knows where it is. Hopefully she'll be fine.

My cat never loves me so much as when I come home sweaty and disgusting from the gym. Oh kitties, your love for smelly things!

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

Schroedinger posted:

Drop her in it so she knows where it is. Hopefully she'll be fine.

My cat never loves me so much as when I come home sweaty and disgusting from the gym. Oh kitties, your love for smelly things!

Mine seem to really love smelling and rubbing against my feet...?!

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

marshmallard posted:

Mine seem to really love smelling and rubbing against my feet...?!

I've heard the the smell a cat associates with you, sort of an identifying smell, is strongest at your feet. The person who told me this went on to explain that that's how an angry cat knows whose shoes to poop in, an event I've never witnessed and cannot confirm. Still a neat idea, though.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Leela likes to roll around in my husband's dirty boxers :gonk:

watchoutitsabear
Sep 8, 2011

I'm just going to post here all the goddamn time, sorry all...

I'm going to bite the bullet and get a second cat to keep my little bloodthirsty monster company. I'm worried about her being aggressive but I'm prepared to keep them separated for a few weeks, do slow introductions, all that jazz.

I'm looking at a little 4 month old female black cat. Are two females a bad idea?

All of my friends are telling me "DON'T DO THIS YOUR CATS WILL PEE EVERYWHERE!!!!!!!!" Is that really something I need to be worried about??

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

I'm no expert, but I've read in many places that, out of all the possible two cat combinations, two females is the worst. Not saying it wouldn't work, just that they are more likely to not get along or cause issues than if you had two boys or one of each.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Klungar posted:

I'm no expert, but I've read in many places that, out of all the possible two cat combinations, two females is the worst. Not saying it wouldn't work, just that they are more likely to not get along or cause issues than if you had two boys or one of each.
I think that's bullshit, but then again, I've never had a male cat(not by choice, just happened that way). Is there an actual rationale for 2 females being the worst?

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

duckfarts posted:

I think that's bullshit, but then again, I've never had a male cat(not by choice, just happened that way). Is there an actual rationale for 2 females being the worst?

Neutered males tend to lose their territorial nature, whereas even a spayed queen will tend to be more protective of her space. That's the reasoning I've always been given, but of course a plurality of anecdote is not data.

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Is it odd for a cat new to a place to not want to play with toys? Mine seems content to just rub her head/body everywhere in my condo and is wholly uninterested in either of the toys I bought nor does she give a poo poo about the cat tree. Does she just need to get more comfortable before she feels like playing around?

Since she came from a busy household and now she's the only living thing in the house besides me i'd like to be able to play with her and tire her out when I get home from work so she sleeps at night.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Don't worry, she's just adjusting. My cat came from a busy household with a fair amount of other people/animals (my parents place) and now lives in my single-bedroom apartment with just me, and it took her like a week or two before she completely settled down into a more normal rhythm.

Also, your cat is rubbing up against everything because she's scent-marking her new home. When a cat is in a new place it usually smells really weird to them, and it takes them a while to get their proper scent into all their favorites spots and nooks and crannies. One of the things I did for my cat, was I brought some stuff from her previous home into my apartment. A small cat tree, a couple blankets/cat pads she liked to sleep on, and one of the litter boxes that she used in her previous home. This made the adjustment a lot easier for her, I think. I don't know if you know the people who owned your cat previously or if they're friends or family, but it might be helpful to get some stuff like that if it's at all possible. If not, it's probably not that big a deal - she'll get used to your place before long, worry not. And she will more than likely be very appreciative of your willingness to tucker her out with playtime :3:

pandasmustdie
Feb 2, 2005

He deserved it

MakaVillian posted:

Is it odd for a cat new to a place to not want to play with toys? Mine seems content to just rub her head/body everywhere in my condo and is wholly uninterested in either of the toys I bought nor does she give a poo poo about the cat tree. Does she just need to get more comfortable before she feels like playing around?

Since she came from a busy household and now she's the only living thing in the house besides me i'd like to be able to play with her and tire her out when I get home from work so she sleeps at night.

Neither of our cats played when we first got them - in fact they used to run and hide from toys. One was a stray who we had to teach how to play, and the other was a rescue from a house with 8 other cats - the only playing he knew was being chased by his bigger brothers.

Now he does this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVr0P6LvUcg

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

MakaVillian posted:

Get Da Bird. You can get it here for less than $7. My cat was similarly non-plussed by all the toys I had bought for him (little stuffed mice, jingly balls, etc.), but my God, watching that little guy go crazy, running around the room and jumping all over the place because of some feathers on a string definitely made it the best purchase I've ever made in my cat.

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

Klungar posted:

Get Da Bird. You can get it here for less than $7. My cat was similarly non-plussed by all the toys I had bought for him (little stuffed mice, jingly balls, etc.), but my God, watching that little guy go crazy, running around the room and jumping all over the place because of some feathers on a string definitely made it the best purchase I've ever made in my cat.

I also use the Thing On A String On A Stick toy with my Hettie for the same reason, although in a pinch just a Stick will do

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Thanks for the responses. I'm totally over thinking almost everything she does or doesn't do right now even though she seems to be adjusting (not hiding under my bed or behind the washer anymore) but cats are almost totally foreign to me.

I wish I could've got some familiar things from her foster parents kaworu but they still have another cat of their own and i'm sure they'll foster some more cats. Also I figured she was marking her territory by rubbing on everything, just surprised she has to do it so many times in a row.

MakaVillian fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Sep 28, 2011

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

MakaVillian posted:

Thanks for the responses. I'm totally over thinking almost everything she does or doesn't do right now even though she seems to be adjusting (not hiding under my bed or behind the washer anymore) but cats are almost totally foreign to me.

I wish I could've got some familiar things from her foster parents kaworu but they still have another cat of their own and i'm sure they'll foster some more cats. Also I figured she was marking her territory by rubbing on everything, just surprised she has to do it so many times in a row.

You're definitely over-thinking. It's taken Hat the rescue cat over a month to come out of his shell and start playing. Before that he hid under the sofa every single day.

It's a big change - just give it time :)

Shed
Apr 13, 2005

You stupid bitch.
Tigger (my kitten) is at the Humane Society getting neutered tonight, and my cat Pixel won't shut up. She acts like she doesn't like him when he is around, but now that he's gone for a day it's like the end of the world. I have to constantly pet her otherwise she'll start meowing like crazy.

My 6' Armarkat cat tree just came in today tho, Tigger is gonna be psyched when he comes home tomorrow :3:

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Shed posted:

Tigger (my kitten) is at the Humane Society getting neutered tonight, and my cat Pixel won't shut up. She acts like she doesn't like him when he is around, but now that he's gone for a day it's like the end of the world. I have to constantly pet her otherwise she'll start meowing like crazy.

My 6' Armarkat cat tree just came in today tho, Tigger is gonna be psyched when he comes home tomorrow :3:

Let me know if yours is as wobbly as mine. I got the A7463B model and it wobble-wobbles to the point that my cat is uncomfortable to go above the first step.

Shed
Apr 13, 2005

You stupid bitch.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Let me know if yours is as wobbly as mine. I got the A7463B model and it wobble-wobbles to the point that my cat is uncomfortable to go above the first step.

Mine doesn't seem too wobbly, but I got the premium x7001 one. My cat is also kinda small, she is only like 7lbs. We'll see when Tigger grows though, he's 6 months old and already 5lbs (not a fatty).

Bahunter22
Jul 3, 2010

watchoutitsabear posted:

I'm just going to post here all the goddamn time, sorry all...

I'm going to bite the bullet and get a second cat to keep my little bloodthirsty monster company. I'm worried about her being aggressive but I'm prepared to keep them separated for a few weeks, do slow introductions, all that jazz.

I'm looking at a little 4 month old female black cat. Are two females a bad idea?

All of my friends are telling me "DON'T DO THIS YOUR CATS WILL PEE EVERYWHERE!!!!!!!!" Is that really something I need to be worried about??

From my experience, that is a whole big crock of bullshit. We had three females and never had a problem with them being territorial with each other, now we still have two. The only time we did have an issue with one of them being territorial was when Mia turned 6 years old. Mia got really pissed off about neighborhood cats being in the yard during mating season and the fact that she couldn't get to them to tell them to gently caress off made it worse. We put her on a mood stabilizer for three months to reset her and haven't had a problem since.

We've got other friends that have two females with no problems. I've kept a male and a female with no problems. The only issue that I had was with two males that were both neutered and pissed all over everything trying to mark their territories. Two females might be catty toward each other but I doubt you'll have an issue if they are introduced properly.

watchoutitsabear
Sep 8, 2011

Bahunter22 posted:

From my experience, that is a whole big crock of bullshit. We had three females and never had a problem with them being territorial with each other, now we still have two. The only time we did have an issue with one of them being territorial was when Mia turned 6 years old. Mia got really pissed off about neighborhood cats being in the yard during mating season and the fact that she couldn't get to them to tell them to gently caress off made it worse. We put her on a mood stabilizer for three months to reset her and haven't had a problem since.

We've got other friends that have two females with no problems. I've kept a male and a female with no problems. The only issue that I had was with two males that were both neutered and pissed all over everything trying to mark their territories. Two females might be catty toward each other but I doubt you'll have an issue if they are introduced properly.

Thanks! And thanks to everyone else who gave advice, too :) I went and adopted the little 4 month old black cat last night after work- you guys were right, kittens are assholes. She was very shy when I brought her home but after about an hour of hiding under the bed she came out for love and cuddles, and then she just started biting EVERYTHING. Hands, blankets, toys, carpet, everything. If it's automatic reinforcement I don't know how I'm gonna get her to stop... this will be fun for my behavior analyst boyfriend.

I can't think of a name for her yet... the boyfriend is pushing Jiji, but that's a boy's name! I like Ruto, then I'd have the two annoying bitches from Ocarina of Time as my cats. Boyfriend says that's too much Zelda.

Anyway, so far they both seem fine. Navi has been sniffing at the door and acting curious, and we've been worshiping the poo poo out of her since New Kitty came home. Thank you for not being a kitten, Navi. Thank you for letting me sleep.

ATP5G1
Jun 22, 2005
Fun Shoe
Anyone have tips on transitioning a cat to a new litterbox? I made one of these litterboxes by cutting a hole in a giant Rubbermaid tub. She used it once last night (I think) but now my kitty would prefer to poop on the bathroom floor than get in. I thought she'd welcome a bigger box since her current one was one of those sink wash basins and sometimes she'd pee on the towel around it instead of in the basin itself.

Anyone have suggestions for getting her used to it?

Alternatively, would she prefer the real thing? It's slightly shorter than the tub I got her, though the length and width are smaller too. Maybe the shorter height would help her out? I bought it, but was planning on returning it since it pretty much is just a Rubbermaid bin with a hole cut in the top.

Bahunter22
Jul 3, 2010

Schroedinger posted:

Anyone have tips on transitioning a cat to a new litterbox? I made one of these litterboxes by cutting a hole in a giant Rubbermaid tub. She used it once last night (I think) but now my kitty would prefer to poop on the bathroom floor than get in. I thought she'd welcome a bigger box since her current one was one of those sink wash basins and sometimes she'd pee on the towel around it instead of in the basin itself.

Alternatively, would she prefer the real thing? It's slightly shorter than the tub I got her, though the length and width are smaller too. Maybe the shorter height would help her out? I bought it, but was planning on returning it since it pretty much is just a Rubbermaid bin with a hole cut in the top.

We did this also but we didn't put the hole in the top, we cut it in the side since our old lady cat didn't jump. I don't know if its just a logistics issue with having a hole be in the top all of the sudden, which it could be. I would almost think that if kitty is sick and whatnot it might be easier for her to climb in the side rather than jump up and in. Just a thought.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Schroedinger posted:

^^^There's some flak about those litterboxes in that they force the cat to jump out of the tub, and doing this on sand and stuff can cause leg problems or something over time(I don't know if this is a f'real problem or not). The general recommendation for the DIY Rubbermaid tub is to put a big hole in the side, and it can be a bit higher than normal if you want.

watchoutitsabear
Sep 8, 2011

duckfarts posted:

^^^There's some flak about those litterboxes in that they force the cat to jump out of the tub, and doing this on sand and stuff can cause leg problems or something over time(I don't know if this is a f'real problem or not). The general recommendation for the DIY Rubbermaid tub is to put a big hole in the side, and it can be a bit higher than normal if you want.

Yikes, really? Anyone else heard anything about this?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I've decided it's time to toilet train my 4 month old kitties. I bought the Litter Kwitter on sale and while they seem to be okay with using the first insert, litter is just getting everywhere when they try to bury their stuff.

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!
My cat really loves his da bird toy. But he also loves to drag the feathers around the house in his mouth and chew on them when we aren't playing.

He really chews it down so much that I've become concerned he might ingest something harmful and so I hide the toy where he can't get to it when I'm not actively playing with him. Am I right to be concerned or is there really no possible danger of this behavior?

Do they make any sort of toys for cats that they can just safely chew on?

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

The same people that make Kong and Nylabone make cat chew toys, too. You can put treats in them and everything. They're a sort of rubbery plastic I guess, but since your cat is into to feathers he might not care for them much. Here's an example.

My cat just likes to gnaw on her soft catnip toys, as well. Maybe try those?

Cryptic Edge
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Josh Lyman posted:

I've decided it's time to toilet train my 4 month old kitties. I bought the Litter Kwitter on sale and while they seem to be okay with using the first insert, litter is just getting everywhere when they try to bury their stuff.

I'm on stage two with this, and bologna (5 mos old) is the same way. Throws litter everywhere. Oscar (1 year +) is going down the hole.

Edit: I hope you have them on a flushable litter and not clay. Stage 2 if yours is like mine will end up with you coming home to half of the tray of litter in the toilet, and clay will be a problem for sure.

Cryptic Edge fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Sep 30, 2011

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!

Radio! posted:

The same people that make Kong and Nylabone make cat chew toys, too. You can put treats in them and everything. They're a sort of rubbery plastic I guess, but since your cat is into to feathers he might not care for them much. Here's an example.

My cat just likes to gnaw on her soft catnip toys, as well. Maybe try those?

Thanks. I'll pick up a nybalone toy and see if that's something he will chew on consistently.

He does have catnip toys which he will really get into from time to time, but he is totally obsessed with chewing on feathers and will choose to do that 100% of the time if available.

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

They're very good and intelligent, these tapa-boys...
edit: meh, suggestion of parrot shredding toys for feather-obsessed cats may be too out there

Is he interested in things like cat grass? Or does that just lead to constant tiny grass throw-ups?

Andrias Scheuchzeri fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Sep 30, 2011

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Does anyone else's cat seem to PREFER cold food? My cat used to be pretty enthusiastic about feeding time but would only eat a few bites before grazing on it for the next two hours. Now that I've switched from the single serving cans to the 4x serving cans, he absolutely loses his poo poo every time I go to the fridge and wolfs it down in about 30 seconds.

On that note, I can't find a pet food lid that actually fits the Wellness 12.5oz cans. They seem to be in that magical spot between cat food and dog food sizes.

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

At what point do you just put two cats together and let things happen as they may?

I just adopted a new kitty, and my old kitty hates him. It's been a few days (admittedly not a super long time), and he's been separated into his own room. I've switched them so they could get used to each other's scents, and I've let them see each other through a partially open door. The problem is, though, my old cat is fine only smelling or hearing the new cat, but when she sees him she freaks out: growling, hissing, attacking me, the works. New cat seems pretty okay with it so far; he's obviously wary of her but isn't reacting violently. He does have a history of being easily stressed, so I'm worried anyway.

I'm terrified my new cat won't warm up to him and even more terrified they'll get into a fight. All my childhood cats were declawed (not something I had control over), so this is my first experience with cats that could really hurt each other.

Is there anything else I can do to make this go more smoothly? Both cats came from multiple cat homes previously.

Why you got to be so difficult, cat :ohdear:

edit: I've also tried shoving my old cat full of treats while she can see the new cat, but she just ignores them. I always give her a good long play session after I let the new cat wander around "her" area of the apartment, or after she sees him, in hopes that she'll associate it with something fun, but no luck so far.

Radio! fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Oct 2, 2011

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Radio! posted:

At what point do you just put two cats together and let things happen as they may?

I just adopted a new kitty, and my old kitty hates him. It's been a few days (admittedly not a super long time), and he's been separated into his own room. I've switched them so they could get used to each other's scents, and I've let them see each other through a partially open door. The problem is, though, my old cat is fine only smelling or hearing the new cat, but when she sees him she freaks out: growling, hissing, attacking me, the works. New cat seems pretty okay with it so far; he's obviously wary of her but isn't reacting violently. He does have a history of being easily stressed, so I'm worried anyway.

I'm terrified my new cat won't warm up to him and even more terrified they'll get into a fight. All my childhood cats were declawed (not something I had control over), so this is my first experience with cats that could really hurt each other.

Is there anything else I can do to make this go more smoothly? Both cats came from multiple cat homes previously.

Why you got to be so difficult, cat :ohdear:

edit: I've also tried shoving my old cat full of treats while she can see the new cat, but she just ignores them. I always give her a good long play session after I let the new cat wander around "her" area of the apartment, or after she sees him, in hopes that she'll associate it with something fun, but no luck so far.
Obvious reminder: THIS TAKES TIME. Read OP, give it time, be patient, maybe try a feliway diffuser but don't expect results to happen overnight.

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

Yeah, I know. I guess I am just overly paranoid because my childhood cats never got along, even after years. These are my first cats that are all my own, so I'm super worried about loving up. Thanks for the reassurance :)

RheaConfused
Jan 22, 2004

I feel the need.
The need... for
:sparkles: :sparkles:

Radio! posted:

Yeah, I know. I guess I am just overly paranoid because my childhood cats never got along, even after years. These are my first cats that are all my own, so I'm super worried about loving up. Thanks for the reassurance :)

The only way you can gently caress up is to put them together too soon. Keep that in mind.

ATP5G1
Jun 22, 2005
Fun Shoe

Schroedinger posted:

I left this guy out there until I got a chance to cut a hole in the side and the little bitch is TOTALLY using it. There's litter all over the top and presents left in the litter itself. She doesn't even get the excuse of using one box for pee and one for poo, she's doing both in there. But when I tried to pick up her wash basin box, the next time I was around when she had to go she meowed at me a bunch and then threatened to pee on the rug again so I put the thing back down. rear end in a top hat.

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

Is there a reason you can't have two litter boxes instead of just the one?

edit: progress on cat introductions! The hissing has stopped!

Radio! fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Oct 3, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ATP5G1
Jun 22, 2005
Fun Shoe
The tub I have is quite big and I don't live in a large enough place to have a lot of space taken up by litterboxes. I don't want to keep the small one because it's not really big enough for her to comfortably sit in and cover her stuff.