Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

laughterhouse five
Feb 17, 2011

by elpintogrande

DrewkroDleman posted:

I know this was on the last page and a little off topic but I got really pissed when I got to Cuba's aid.

We are too stubborn to even accept AID for a natural disaster. :wtc:

What, did you really think that human lives were more important than politics?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

laughterhouse five posted:

Better dead than red, right New Orleans?

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Public Health and Safety, citizen. Those Cubans would probably send in poisoned cigars and rum. :patriot:

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
I recently learned that it is illegal for an American Citizen to purchase a Cuban cigar anywhere in the world. That situation strikes me as bizarre. How can US law control my behavior in other national jurisdictions?

We should have ended the embargo in 1990 after the fall of Communism. Just declared victory and been done with it.

What does the US gain from the embargo? We're not going to "win", and we've supported much worse regimes than Castro's. It's such a strange relic of the Cold War.

laughterhouse five
Feb 17, 2011

by elpintogrande

Armyman25 posted:

I recently learned that it is illegal for an American Citizen to purchase a Cuban cigar anywhere in the world. That situation strikes me as bizarre. How can US law control my behavior in other national jurisdictions?

There are plenty of cases like that, where as an American citizen you fall under U.S. jurisdiction no matter where you are.

The same principle apply to sex tourism laws.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Southern Florida votes are lost.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

There are plenty of cases like that, where as an American citizen you fall under U.S. jurisdiction no matter where you are.

The same principle apply to sex tourism laws.

It still seems strange to me. As a Soldier I fall under the military's laws anywhere I go, but that's due to my contract and the rules I've sworn to follow. That's a much different relationship with authority than being a citizen of a country.

As far as sexual tourism, it's wrong to go and abuse children, but if the criminal act didn't occur within the US, how can the US claim jurisdiction?

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Armyman25 posted:

As far as sexual tourism, it's wrong to go and abuse children, but if the criminal act didn't occur within the US, how can the US claim jurisdiction?

It's illegal in many states to cross state lines with the intent to have sex with a minor. Similarly I believe it is illegal to cross the US national border with the intent to have sex with a minor. Proving intent is usually pretty difficult, but it's been successfully done in cases like these.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

ErIog posted:

It's illegal in many states to cross state lines with the intent to have sex with a minor. Similarly I believe it is illegal to cross the US national border with the intent to have sex with a minor. Proving intent is usually pretty difficult, but it's been successfully done in cases like these.

So, if it's against the law in Iowa to cross the Iowa-Minnesota border with the intent of having sex with a minor, that would apply to Iowa residents going into Minnesota, or would it apply to Minnesota residents coming into Iowa?

I would think that Iowa's jurisdiction ends at the state line. Could Iowa make a law against crossing state lines with the intent of having sex with a prostitute and prosecute me if I went to Nevada or Germany and did so?

There is the Mann Act http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mann_act, but that's a Federal Law covering crimes within the US.

laughterhouse five
Feb 17, 2011

by elpintogrande

Armyman25 posted:

So, if it's against the law in Iowa to cross the Iowa-Minnesota border with the intent of having sex with a minor, that would apply to Iowa residents going into Minnesota, or would it apply to Minnesota residents coming into Iowa?

I'm pretty sure that law would apply to Iowa residents in Minnesota, since the latter case would be covered under Iowa's normal jurisdiction.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
The most basic way to think about this is that you are a citizen of a country and you are bound by it's law because you are a citizen. You (theoretically at least) receive all the benefits of the country as well.

Mainly, it is used for making sure you don't say stupid things like well murder is legal in this country, so you can't do anything about it.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

DrewkroDleman posted:

I know this was on the last page and a little off topic but I got really pissed when I got to Cuba's aid.

We are too stubborn to even accept AID for a natural disaster. :wtc:

Hey, it's a fine tradition of bickery going both ways:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/168987.stm

BBC posted:

Friday, September 11, 1998 Published at 07:15 GMT 08:15 UK

Cuba to reject US aid

The Cuban authorities say they will reject any aid for drought victims from the United Nations if it includes donations from the United States government.

Last week, the UN World Food Programme (WFP) made an urgent appeal for $20.5m to ease the effects of a continuing drought in Cuba.

In the worst-hit eastern provinces, lack of rain has wiped out food harvests, not to mention cash crops such as sugar and tobacco, and more than 600,000 people are at risk from malnutrition, the UN agency says.

Narbo
Feb 6, 2007
broomhead

Armyman25 posted:

I recently learned that it is illegal for an American Citizen to purchase a Cuban cigar anywhere in the world.

What if you're in international waters?

Thenipwax
Jun 20, 2001

by Ozmaugh

Narbo posted:

What if you're in international waters?

I am pretty sure that falls under the "anywhere in the world" part.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Thenipwax posted:

what if you were on the moon? Now what Mr SmartyPants? :colbert:

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Thenipwax posted:

What about the moon?

^^drat you!

Narbo
Feb 6, 2007
broomhead

Thenipwax posted:

I thought there were no rules in international waters and that's why sailors can get gay married on an aircraft carrier (but it doesn't count when you get back to land).

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Narbo posted:

I thought there were no rules in international waters and that's why sailors can get gay married on an aircraft carrier (but it doesn't count when you get back to land).

So you gave an example of something that happened that is non-binding.

Again, it's fairly simple you are ruled by the citizenship of the country you claim.

Narbo
Feb 6, 2007
broomhead
Well then I am a citizen of the international water nation Atlantis, where everyone is gay married and smokes cigars :colbert:.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Narbo posted:

Well then I am a citizen of the international water nation Atlantis, where everyone is gay married and smokes cigars :colbert:.

I am starting to think you are making things up...

Neptr
Mar 1, 2011

Armyman25 posted:

We should have ended the embargo in 1990 after the fall of Communism. Just declared victory and been done with it.

What does the US gain from the embargo? We're not going to "win", and we've supported much worse regimes than Castro's. It's such a strange relic of the Cold War.

There's a lot of Cuban-Americans in Florida who don't like Castro, and Florida is the 4th most valuable state in the electoral college.

No, really.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Neptr posted:

There's a lot of Cuban-Americans in Florida who don't like Castro, and Florida is the 4th most valuable state in the electoral college.

No, really.

Can we just get rid of the electoral college already?

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

Armyman25 posted:

Can we just get rid of the electoral college already?

We all know college is just full of LIEberal elitists anyway.

21stCentury
Jan 4, 2009

by angerbot
I`m not well-acquainted with the American electoral process...

What's the Electoral college? Is it a thing where citizen vote for someone else to vote for them instead of just voting for a candidate and tallying all the votes up, giving some states more weight when it comes to votes?

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

21stCentury posted:

I`m not well-acquainted with the American electoral process...

What's the Electoral college? Is it a thing where citizen vote for someone else to vote for them instead of just voting for a candidate and tallying all the votes up, giving some states more weight when it comes to votes?

Every state is worth a certain value that equals the number of reps and senators it has. RI has 4 for example, MA 12, TX 34(?). In most states if you win the majority of votes in state you get the state's value. Get 270 electoral votes and win.

It is a way to protect smaller states from being over run by bigger states.

21stCentury
Jan 4, 2009

by angerbot

Mooseontheloose posted:

Every state is worth a certain value that equals the number of reps and senators it has. RI has 4 for example, MA 12, TX 34(?). In most states if you win the majority of votes in state you get the state's value. Get 270 electoral votes and win.

It is a way to protect smaller states from being over run by bigger states.

I don't think I understand the purpose of that. It just seems fairer to go with a straight tally. It makes little sense to me that if there's a 51%/49% split, it turns into a 100%/0%. (Maybe I misunderstand, though)

How does that protect anyone but the majority in a state?

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

21stCentury posted:

I don't think I understand the purpose of that. It just seems fairer to go with a straight tally. It makes little sense to me that if there's a 51%/49% split, it turns into a 100%/0%. (Maybe I misunderstand, though)

More like lower population states have a bigger effect on the election. Off the top of my head Massachusetts has 6 million people, Maine has 1 million. Maine gets 4 votes, Mass. gets 12. So instead of a 6:1 advantage, Mass now only has has a 3:1 advantage. It allows rural states to have a say in the government and have presidents tailor some policy towards them.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

21stCentury posted:

You understand perfectly. It's why Gore won the popular vote, and Bush won the electoral vote by a landslide. Gore had the electoral lead, but Bush won Florida by 500 votes, so ALL of Florida's votes then went to Bush, and Bush ended up winning. Even though, in total, far more people voted for Gore.

It's basically a disgrace.

21stCentury
Jan 4, 2009

by angerbot

Mooseontheloose posted:

More like lower population states have a bigger effect on the election. Off the top of my head Massachusetts has 6 million people, Maine has 1 million. Maine gets 4 votes, Mass. gets 12. So instead of a 6:1 advantage, Mass now only has has a 3:1 advantage. It allows rural states to have a say in the government and have presidents tailor some policy towards them.

Wouldn't it be a lot more efficient to have the presidential elections work independently of state elections? I would assume the rural states would have a lot more luck getting a say with a statesman than by helping one president over the other...

Then again, I guess this is really all about ways to make it easier for presidential candidates to get votes rather than to have "fairer" elections.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

21stCentury posted:

Wouldn't it be a lot more efficient to have the presidential elections work independently of state elections? I would assume the rural states would have a lot more luck getting a say with a statesman than by helping one president over the other...

Then again, I guess this is really all about ways to make it easier for presidential candidates to get votes rather than to have "fairer" elections.

Surprisingly, states are decent at handling elections and creates a clear delineation of who is charge and who to sue if something goes wrong.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

21stCentury posted:

Sure, it'd make a lot more sense. But America's fundamental law (the constitution) is all but impossible to change. I find it a little bizarre that the basic mechanics of government are fixed in place by an experimental 18th century constitution, but I don't see what you can do about it.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Well, for one you can amend it.

VVV Well, that would be the same thing it took to amend the constitution every other time.

I'll be here all night if anyone else needs help.

nsaP fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Mar 17, 2011

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

nsaP posted:

Well, for one you can amend it.

I can't imagine what it would take to amend the constitution in our time.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Sure, it'd make a lot more sense. But America's fundamental law (the constitution) is all but impossible to change. I find it a little bizarre that the basic mechanics of government are fixed in place by an experimental 18th century constitution, but I don't see what you can do about it.

An interesting argument, since the constitution has been amended 16 times since the 18th century. (The first amendment to be enacted in the 19th century was a revision of the Electoral College: Amendment XII)

Edit: beaten, and yeah trying to get any amendment passed in the current climate of constitutional fetishism would be hilariously futile

Plank Walker fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Mar 17, 2011

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Plank Walker posted:

Edit: beaten, and yeah trying to get any amendment passed in the current climate of constitutional fetishism would be hilariously futile

No kidding. That was my point.

Parity Bit
Apr 1, 2010
Aren't there one or two states that distribute their electoral votes proportionally instead of going all or nothing? Or am I thinking of primaries?

Either way, I'm not sure if it would be easier to amend the constitution or encourage change at the state level, since say, once a blue state went proportional it would be in the Republican's interest to keep a red state all or nothing, and vice versa.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
^^^ Nebraska distributes their votes proportionately, because the Lincoln/Omaha metro area was tired of getting lumped in with the rural western part of the state (or vice versa).

To contribute, just saw a blog post that's not crazy and really drat refreshing. Warning: was written by a religious person, so there is a bit of religion at the end. But it's a response to solider-worship, so it's definitely reasonable.

quote:

This is the Son of God. These are Men in Uniform. Don’t Confuse the Two.

A slight acquaintance, into whose mass-email-forwarding address book I have had the misfortune to fall, regularly sends me … stuff. Political stuff. Religious stuff. Sometimes stuff that combines the two in ways I find ludicrous, or offensive, or awash in sentimentality.

Much of this stuff is military-related.

It started with the general theme of “We Support Our Troops.” Fine. I do, too. If we’re going to send them out there, regardless of whether we support the specific political agenda that sent them, we should make sure they have what they need, where and when they need it.

It progressed to “We Love Our Troops.” Okay. I do, too. When men and women put their lives on hold to answer the call of their country, and as long as they act legally and honorably and morally in their individual conduct, they deserve respect – love is an alternate term for that.

But now it has reached the point of “We Worship Our Troops.” No. This is where I draw the line.

The last email began with some xenophobic anti-immigrant bad taste. The kicker, though, was this:

“Remember, only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you: Jesus Christ, and the American Soldier.”

This is not true, for starters.

My mother offered to die for me when she went through the valley of the shadow of death to bring me into this world.

My father offered to die for me when he stepped between me and a snarling dog that threatened to attack.

If I were ever trapped in a burning building or under an earthquake-flattened one, or were caught in a flood, or fell over a ledge while hiking, I am 100% certain that there are men and women in my community who would offer to give their lives in the attempt to save mine. I worked for the Clark County [Nev.] Fire Department for a couple of years — it’s the only job I’ve ever had where my starry-eyed admiration for heroes grew stronger instead of fading through familiarity. Those men (they were all men in the ’70s) would help a stranger with no questions asked, at the risk of their own lives. That’s what I think of whenever I hear a siren in the distance: Someone is in trouble, and someone else is rushing to help.

The epidemiologists who lock themselves into sealed rooms with deadly viruses and toxins in the quest to understand and conquer them are offering to die for me. The storm chasers and volcanologists who deliberately head into the most dangerous spots on earth in the pursuit of knowledge that will protect future generations are offering to die for me. The drug enforcement agents who investigate reports of marijuana fields in our national parks are offering to die for me. The highway patrolman who stands unprotected next to speeding traffic while he checks out a suspected drunk driver is offering to die for me.

And yes, the soldier is offering to die for me.

None of those people wants to die. They may be willing, they may have made the offer, they may eventually pay the price, but they don’t expect or hope to die in the line of their vocations. Every one of them would rather go home safely at the end of the day, to play with their kids or throw a football around or take that class in New Testament Greek or do whatever else is meaningful in their lives.

Jesus Christ, on the other hand, was born with the explicit anticipation that he would die, that he must die, for all and every soul on earth. He didn’t expect to avoid it; he didn’t hope to make it through his shift day after day and eventually retire to a villa on the Sea of Galilee. Whereas mere mortals, like law enforcers and firefighters and chemists – and soldiers – count it a success when they aren’t hurt on the job, the mission of Jesus Christ would have been a failure – indeed, all of Creation would have been a failure – had he not only been willing to die, but in fact died, in the way and at the time and for the purpose that was necessary to bring about the Atonement.

I am grateful to soldiers – and teachers and doctors and search-and-rescue teams – who are willing to put themselves at risk in the service of others. But I don’t worship them as I do my Heavenly Father and his son Jesus Christ. It bothers me that misplaced patriotic hyperbole confuses deity with unselfish mortal service. Stop it. Just stop.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Childlike Empress posted:

^^^ Nebraska distributes their votes proportionately, because the Lincoln/Omaha metro area was tired of getting lumped in with the rural western part of the state (or vice versa).
Maine also has a non-standard electoral vote system, although I'm not sure I'd call it proportional.

Foyes36
Oct 23, 2005

Food fight!

quote:

It started with the general theme of “We Support Our Troops.” Fine. I do, too. If we’re going to send them out there, regardless of whether we support the specific political agenda that sent them, we should make sure they have what they need, where and when they need it.

It progressed to “We Love Our Troops.” Okay. I do, too. When men and women put their lives on hold to answer the call of their country, and as long as they act legally and honorably and morally in their individual conduct, they deserve respect – love is an alternate term for that.

But now it has reached the point of “We Worship Our Troops.” No. This is where I draw the line.

I think this is pretty well put.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Childlike Empress posted:

To contribute, just saw a blog post that's not crazy and really drat refreshing. Warning: was written by a religious person, so there is a bit of religion at the end. But it's a response to solider-worship, so it's definitely reasonable.

First great email!

Secondly, Nebraska isn't exactly proportional. Each district is voted on separately, and whoever wins the majority in the state gets the two senate votes. Exactly like Maine.