Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kolta
Apr 13, 2009
I'm a long time fan of beer but would like to try something out of the ordinary that is recommended by some of the goons on this thread.

I would also like to know if any of you have ever tried the Alexander Keith's Apple Cider? I've looked everywhere in my neck of the woods and haven't found any.

EDIT: I like lighter beers and the occasional stout.

Kolta fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Jul 14, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Just found out that a place relativity close to me has a good microbrew selection. Looking on their site it seems like this is what they have to offer. I'm looking for an apa/ipa any of these breweries make one that I should pick up?

quote:

WISCONSIN BREWERIES: Ale Asylum, Capital, Central Waters, Furthermore, Joseph Schlitz, Lake Louie, Lakefront, Lilja, Minhas, New Glarus, O'so, Pearl Street, Potosi, Rhinelander, Sand Creek, Sprecher, Stevens Point, Tyranena and more.

OTHER CRAFT BREWERIES: Abita, Alaskan, Anchor, Bear Republic, Lagunitas, Pyramid, Sierra Navada, Avery, Boulder, Breckenridge, Left Hand, New Belgium, Oskar Blues, TommyKnocker, Kona, Goose Island, Granite City,

So far from that list I think that I'll be picking up Bear Republics Racer 5.

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

Watch For Fleeing Immigrants
Went up to Oxbow Beer brewery this afternoon. It's an extremely small brewery, way the hell out in the middle of nowhere in Maine. Really only one room with some tanks, and they were small tanks at that. Their distribution is a handful of kegs in Portland. And they only let the public in for growler fills 2-6 on Fridays.

But, they do make some of the best Belgian-inspired beers I've had. Wild ales, saisons, funky poo poo. A bit like CO's Crooked Stave, but not as horse-foot-cheesey.

Sampled Farmhouse Pale Ale and Space Cowboy, which I've had on tap a few times. Hopped belgian pale, and a wit-ish respectively. Also tried and got a growler of Freestyle #6, a dry hopped Saison. It was excellent.

The drive up was also beautiful, and I managed to avoid tourist traffic by taking a shortcut ominously named Bog Road.

Also picked up a single Atlantic Brewing Co Real Ale, which I will try tonight. I figure you can safely judge a brewery by how they do with their non-standard offerings.

edit: Almost forgot to mention the highlight of my excursion: I got a $2 snifter with the Oxbow logo! It was discounted because it said "Farmouse".

edit edit: Belgian Yeti is fantastic. Colette is also a fantastic American saison.

CalvinDooglas fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jul 14, 2012

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Kolta posted:

I'm a long time fan of beer but would like to try something out of the ordinary that is recommended by some of the goons on this thread.

I would also like to know if any of you have ever tried the Alexander Keith's Apple Cider? I've looked everywhere in my neck of the woods and haven't found any.

Lighter beers... St. Bernadus Witbier is light and refreshing and pretty accessible, I'd say. That Harpoon Raspberry UFO I had recently would probably be right up your alley as well. It's a hefeweizen, but I wouldn't have known if it wasn't printed on the bottle. Stouts... Chocolate Oak Aged Yeti by Great Divide. If you like stouts you'll love that.

Kolta
Apr 13, 2009

mysterious frankie posted:

Lighter beers... St. Bernadus Witbier is light and refreshing and pretty accessible, I'd say. That Harpoon Raspberry UFO I had recently would probably be right up your alley as well. It's a hefeweizen, but I wouldn't have known if it wasn't printed on the bottle. Stouts... Chocolate Oak Aged Yeti by Great Divide. If you like stouts you'll love that.

I've actually tried the Yeti and enjoyed it. Thanks for the recommendations. I'm heading down to the US tomorrow for a few days and hope to find a few gems that I can't get here. I'll be on the look out for that Harpoon Raspberry, sounds delicious.

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

Kolta posted:

I've actually tried the Yeti and enjoyed it. Thanks for the recommendations. I'm heading down to the US tomorrow for a few days and hope to find a few gems that I can't get here. I'll be on the look out for that Harpoon Raspberry, sounds delicious.

Where are you going in the US? A lot of good stuff is local/regional only.

Kolta
Apr 13, 2009

CalvinDooglas posted:

Where are you going in the US? A lot of good stuff is local/regional only.

Bangor, Maine. Any suggestions?

Jahoodie
Jun 27, 2005
Wooo.... college!

Kolta posted:

If you're in the North East try any Barn Door Cider or Warwick Valley's Frambrosia.

Young's Chocolate Stout also gets wide distribution and is always worth a try.

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

Kolta posted:

Might be slim pickins that far up. BUT Allagash has a strong presence all over. Atlantic Brewery is local (Bar Harbor) and has a good reputation.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Kolta posted:

don't know the area, and it's certainly no craft beer hotspot, but this place looks to have a halfway decent selection, so you're going to have some options. if you like lighter stuff, every Maine brewery is going to have decent pale and brown ales, and Allagash makes some of the best American versions of Belgian styles.

Kolta
Apr 13, 2009
Thanks! Looking forward to dropping by that place. I know Monday will be leaving the campground and driving down to Bar Harbor so maybe I'll be able to drop by the brewery for a tour and some drinks!

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

Also, anything by Victory is awesome, if you see it in stores. Rising Tide is starting to get more popular.

I live in Portland, so if you're ever in southern Maine post in here again, I'd be happy to recommend some places in the area.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

Finally, after over a half year, having the last Duck Rabbit Milk Stout of my stash. :cry: I really do think this is better than Left Hand's, tho maybe abscence makes the heart grow fonder, etc.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
Kolta, you might like Left Hand Polestar Pilsner, if they have it in those parts.

mysterious frankie fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Jul 14, 2012

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Angry Grimace posted:

After the beard filth beer news, Rogue Ales is dead to me.
Beer is rotten sugar, I think sourcing the microorganism should be the least of anyone's worries if they have a problem with the icky.

My biggest problem with Rogue is that everything tastes like pacman, and even preferring estery sorts of yeast I still hate pacman.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

zedprime posted:

Beer is rotten sugar, I think sourcing the microorganism should be the least of anyone's worries if they have a problem with the icky.

My biggest problem with Rogue is that everything tastes like pacman, and even preferring estery sorts of yeast I still hate pacman.
I'm not sure what you mean by "rotten sugar." I certainly don't use anything rotten in mine.

I mean, sure there's probably brewing yeast in my snot too, it doesn't mean it's not gross and bad taste to try and isolate some yeast from it. It's just gross and lowbrow.

Jahoodie
Jun 27, 2005
Wooo.... college!

Angry Grimace posted:

I'm not sure what you mean by "rotten sugar." I certainly don't use anything rotten in mine.

I mean, sure there's probably brewing yeast in my snot too, it doesn't mean it's not gross and bad taste to try and isolate some yeast from it. It's just gross and lowbrow.

Yet we're all still talking about it, and I bet a good number of people want to try it just to say they tried it. Well played again Rogue.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Angry Grimace posted:

Yeast are a fungus. Everything that makes beer beer is a byproduct of decomposition.

The beer of today is all thanks to some dude 15000 years ago leaving a loaf of bread in a puddle for a while, coming back to it, saying gently caress it and ingesting the mess, and deciding hey this is pretty good, maybe I should try to do this on purpose.

e. I'm sure the endgame is that he has pacman in his beard anyway and the beer tastes like exactly every other Rogue beer.

for sale
Nov 25, 2007
I AM A SHOPLIFTER
I know i'm late on the reply but thanks everybody for the Boston tips, i'm definitely checking out CBC at least.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

zedprime posted:

Yeast are a fungus. Everything that makes beer beer is a byproduct of decomposition.

The beer of today is all thanks to some dude 15000 years ago leaving a loaf of bread in a puddle for a while, coming back to it, saying gently caress it and ingesting the mess, and deciding hey this is pretty good, maybe I should try to do this on purpose.

e. I'm sure the endgame is that he has pacman in his beard anyway and the beer tastes like exactly every other Rogue beer.
I'm fairly certain it was probably just spontaneous fermentation from a region with a high yeast content in the air :v:

But the other point stands. It's not whether it tastes good or not, its the principle that its juvenile nonsense. I was already predisposed against Rogue anyways due to their not-great beer and lovely attitude towards their workers.

enthe0s
Oct 24, 2010

In another few hours, the sun will rise!

Sirotan posted:

Not to mention that a not small amount of people in this thread, who really should have known better, shelled out $20+ for the experience of drinking it. Sounds like they're doing something right. :v:

It was only 7 bucks for me :colbert:

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

SUPER HASSLER posted:

Finally, after over a half year, having the last Duck Rabbit Milk Stout of my stash. :cry: I really do think this is better than Left Hand's, tho maybe abscence makes the heart grow fonder, etc.

like you don't have a way of getting more...

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
I bought a variety case of Duck-Rabbit because of how much people talked up the Milk Stout and I've been underwhelmed with every beer in it. I much prefer Left Hand's Milk Stout to Duck-Rabbit's. Milk Stout on nitro, mmmmm. loving delicious.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

funkybottoms posted:

like you don't have a way of getting more...

Yeah but it involves more work than going to the local store :cry:

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

SUPER HASSLER posted:

Yeah but it involves more work than going to the local store :cry:

I can get it at the gas station :smug: Sometimes living in NC isn't too bad.

Captain Shortbus
May 14, 2011

Spending the weekend at the Lake of the Ozarks, and it's cans only. 8 Bit Pale Ale has done a serviceable job.

Capt_Jaegerbomb
Jun 20, 2012
If any of you find yourselves in Colorado, we have some of the finest microbreweries around.

There's one brewery up in Idaho Springs called "Tommyknocker's". It's just off the i70 on the way to the main ski resorts and it's absolutely awesome. My buddies and I always stop there on the way back from a days snowboarding to grab dinner and a beer.

I highly recommend the Honey Cocoa Porter or the Jackwhacker Wheat...especially with a bowl of their buffalo roadhouse redbean chili!

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

Not to go all ShaneB on that post, but I always thought that Tommyknocker, while good, was pretty average compared to all the other fine small breweries along I-70, to say nothin' of Denver. For example there're four breweries in Summit Co. and all of them do some pretty inspired poo poo that wins medals.

Idaho Springs is great fun in the summer tho.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!
Drinking my growler of DC Brau The Public... I think this is going to go rather quickly.

Capt_Jaegerbomb posted:

If any of you find yourselves in Colorado, we have some of the finest microbreweries around.

No joke?

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

If you ever go snow-sporting down in Wolf Creek, hit up Amíca's in Salida on the way to/from. Awesome beers and pizza.

And for non-Denver I-70 beers, I enjoyed Dillon Dam Brewery and Wilderness Brewing up in Dillon.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Glenwood Canyon Brewpub = I-70 supremacy.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence
Drinking the Unibroue 17 Grande Réserve. 10%, oak-aged Strong Dark Ale. Holy gently caress. I heard someone describe it as oak-aged Chimay Blue. P much exactly what it is. Smells and tastes like all types of fruit and has that great Unibroue carbonation. I was surprised it was only $8.95 and I'm going back for two more tomorrow. Get this if you see it.

heh, by chance both beers I picked up today (17 reserve and weihenstephaner vitus) both have World Beer Award logos stamped on them :smug:

Capt_Jaegerbomb
Jun 20, 2012

True Story!

As Calvin & Hassler above pointed out, there are some really inspired brewers out there these days and Colorado has some really good choices.

There's also the Pumphouse up in Longmont (North of Boulder) and the Dry Dock Brewing Company in Aurora (East of Denver). Dry Dock also has a home brewers shop next door called the Brew Hut. They have regular tastings of all the different beers, wines and meads that the locals brew.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...
Impromptu beer tasting with Sirotan and crew was a success! Much good beer was had by all! Thanks everyone for not being spergy goonlords!

Sublimer
Sep 20, 2007
get yo' game up

What beers were opened? What were the favorites? Are you gonna put any pictures up?

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

Docjowles posted:

Glenwood Canyon Brewpub = I-70 supremacy.

Well, no offence meant of course, but in the hum'rous atmosphere we have here in the Let's talk beer thread, I would say that you are F of S. (there's also Crazy Mountain, too!)

As CalvinDooglas said, the Dillon Dam is awesome; by far the busiest joint in Summit too. (I had a number of hilarious late-night drunken awfulness happen there, but that's all in the past.) If you go about a minute west along that road, you wind up at Pug Ryan's, which frankly rocks; it is an oldschool steakhouse dating from the '70s, but they started brewing there as of a decade or so ago, and they have been expanding their brewing capacity over the past little bit; and really, their brewmaster is awesome. :neckbeard:

SUPER HASSLER fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Jul 15, 2012

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
I had a Great Divide Colette earlier and I really enjoyed it though I couldn't quite put my finger on some of the flavors and aromas, a tad rubbery is the only thing I could think of when I ran into some flavors I couldn't describe.

I'm onto Founders Devil Dancer now and this is very hot on the finish, other than that it reminds me a lot of a hopped up barleywine, I guess there's not much separating an American barleywine and an IIPA eh? The alcohol burns on the finish though, which is a loss of points for me. This is okay, but not $20 a 4 pack good if you ask me. I would like to get another bottle to hold onto for a few months though to see if it gets better with age.

Midorka fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Jul 15, 2012

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???
I'll be the one to piss on the Colette parade, I guess. Had a few bottles when the 2012 batch hit stores and they all tasted like a very mediocre lager that was slightly skunked. I love my saisons, and a good Pilsner obviously has its place in my hooch arsenal, but this fell somewhere between the two and was good at neither. Watery, slightly sour (not in the good way), didn't possess any grassy notes that I'd expect in a saison.

I haven't dabbled in the "budget" beers GDBC makes (aka the ones in the variety pack) but Colette is the first beer of theirs I feel like they missed on.

nominal
Oct 13, 2007

I've never tried dried apples.
What are they?
Pork Pro

Sublimer posted:

What beers were opened? What were the favorites? Are you gonna put any pictures up?
I hope somebody got a picture of the can of 10-year old Harley Davidson lager!

For me what really stuck out was the Hunahpu. I smoke a pipe here and there, and it tasted so much like the best qualities of vanilla black cavendish that it blew my loving mind. Not expecting that from a beer at all. Totally enjoyed it. I don't really trade or look for whales (is this even a whale?) at all, but I think I might start actually trying to hunt this stuff down.

Tried Dark Lord for the first time as well and that was pretty ridiculously good. It was a recent bottle, and I think I agree with a lot of the folks there that it'd definitely benefit from some more aging, but holy crap, I didn't know a beer could be that sweet and still be drinkable.

Liked Apocalypse Cow. Loved the strong pineapple notes in both the taste and aroma. Drank really smooth, but not as sweet tasting as I was expecting from the nose, and I mean that in a positive way. Maybe because they struck a good balance with the lactose addition? I think I'd definitely snag a bottle if I ever found one, both because I actually enjoyed it but also just to see if I can try figure out a little more about what exactly it's got going on.

Barrel-Aged Perkolator Dopplebock was disappointing and I don't think barrel aging contributes anything positive to the base beer. It gave it a sharp tang that doesn't go well with what should be a really smooth, mellow, balanced drink. I'd much prefer a good batch regular Perkolator.

Least favorite that night was Infinium. I sort of liked the nose on it, but the taste was a confusing mess. I would much rather drink an entire six pack of 10-year old Harley Davidson lager than have another sip of Infinium. Cool bottle, though!

Thanks for hosting, Sirotan, and also thanks to everyone present for being fun people to drink beer with! Also nobody even attempted to ambush us in the parking lot, shank us in the kidneys, steal our booze, and leave us bleeding out in the bleak uncaring darkness of a strange and far-away city, so that was kind of a major plus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Found a 2012 Goose Island Juliet last night and immediately drank it. The aroma is really bright and matches with the prominent blackberry sour flavor. Aggressive tartness and a ton of complex fruit notes (maybe grape/plum?), while there's varying peaks of sour as it's sitting in the mouth. Amazing beer, and I'm real glad I found it for $15.