Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hepscat
Jan 16, 2005

Avenging Nun
You guys have to learn to ask the right questions.

"Did anyone barf in class today?"

:v: No, but Alisha brought slime for lunch!

"Did anyone get a red card today?"

:v: Yeah Ethan threw a book on the ground and he had to miss Free Choice time!

vs:

"What did you do today?"

*grunt*

Kids are all about the gossip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

sudont posted:

My almost 15 month old pees almost every time I get his diaper off now. I am pretty sure it's because even though I TRY not to, I usually shout in surprise and he thinks this is hilarious. :( I am so tired of every diaper change being a full clothing change plus change all the changing table covers and wipe down the whole table etc. etc. I have visions of him being "that kid" that smells like pee all the time.

I am 99% sure it's willful to get a reaction (he laughs while he does it) and he doesn't do it to just me, so I am doing my best to just not react, and ask my partner and parents to do the same. Obviously I try like hell to keep him covered as much as possible but he's also at that age where it's like wrestling a bear no matter where I change him so I'm usually not successful. I find it harder on the floor actually; he has more room to get away, so I stick with the table.

Short of covering his whole room in plastic, just keep on ignoring it and trying harder to keep him covered? We see the ped soon so I"ll make sure it's not something physical but like I said, the laughing kinda tells me it's not.

Put him on the potty with his diaper on then take it off? If he's going to piss on command like that then he has bladder control, start potty training.

sudont
May 10, 2011
this program is useful for when you don't want to do something.

Fun Shoe
Oh. Huh, I never would've thought of that, this is obviously my first and I thought any remote attempts at that were very far off, but it makes total sense. He's incredibly willful but LOVES LOVES LOVES when he does something and we go YAY! so I can see him taking to the "game" of sitting on the potty and clapping like a loon when he actually goes in it. I'm not gonna push it or expect him to be toilet trained at 15 months (I mean, he's not even walking yet) but introducing it is a great idea.

I don't think I need to clarify this but just in case: he def does go IN the diaper all the time too, it's not like he holds it until we take the diaper off.

Thanks!

sudont fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Sep 9, 2014

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

sudont posted:

Oh. Huh, I never would've thought of that, this is obviously my first and I thought any remote attempts at that were very far off, but it makes total sense. He's incredibly willful but LOVES LOVES LOVES when he does something and we go YAY! so I can see him taking to the "game" of sitting on the potty and clapping like a loon when he actually goes in it. I'm not gonna push it or expect him to be toilet trained but introducing it is a great idea.

I don't think I need to clarify this but just in case: he def does go IN the diaper all the time too, it's not like he holds it until we take the diaper off.

Thanks!

np. my wife started potty training super early with our guys, at first its just acclimation. I think a lot of people start when they're 2 years old and at that point they start to get a little willful. My wife started both kids around 6 months and by the time our oldest boy was 2.5 he was completely potty trained. Our 14 month old, well he's proving a little more difficult. We sit them on the little potty with a book/toy/etc and try to entertain them, but the youngest just wants to jump up and move. Take a toy or book or something with you, and praise like you said. We even had a period of time where we'd give him a gummy bear when he went, that lasted for about 6 months.

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Stop, hey, what's that sound?
We're expecting our second child, and I have some logistics questions. We live a long way from family, who all work, so the grandparent visit is likely going to be after the new baby is born. Our oldest is two and a half, isn't in day care, and doesn't really even get babysat. As a result, she's pretty anxious about being away from us.

My wife has lots of good friends with toddlers of the same age who have volunteered to watch our kid while we go to the hospital for the birth; we're going to make sure we know who can handle daytime vs nighttime. We are not sure what amount of asking people to watch our toddler is reasonable, both from a friends perspective and for our kid's sake. For the first birth, my wife was not very mobile for the first couple of days due to blood loss, so having me there 24/7 was a big help. Right now, I'm thinking that after baby is born, I go back the same day to take care of our older kid during the daytime and do a visit together to the hospital, but have someone come to stay with our toddler overnight while I go back to be at the hospital. Would love wisdom/stories of how other people managed.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

TacoNight posted:

We're expecting our second child, and I have some logistics questions. We live a long way from family, who all work, so the grandparent visit is likely going to be after the new baby is born. Our oldest is two and a half, isn't in day care, and doesn't really even get babysat. As a result, she's pretty anxious about being away from us.

My wife has lots of good friends with toddlers of the same age who have volunteered to watch our kid while we go to the hospital for the birth; we're going to make sure we know who can handle daytime vs nighttime. We are not sure what amount of asking people to watch our toddler is reasonable, both from a friends perspective and for our kid's sake. For the first birth, my wife was not very mobile for the first couple of days due to blood loss, so having me there 24/7 was a big help. Right now, I'm thinking that after baby is born, I go back the same day to take care of our older kid during the daytime and do a visit together to the hospital, but have someone come to stay with our toddler overnight while I go back to be at the hospital. Would love wisdom/stories of how other people managed.

We were lucky enough to have my MIL staying with us for my second child, but we had never left my older son (also two and a half) overnight. I ended up being induced via artificial membrane rupture (I was walking around at 6 cm dilated, 100% effaced, and +2 station) so the whole thing was a little more predictable, but my MIL took the older son to our regular play group while I was laboring and delivering. Once he was home from that and the baby and I were deemed all right, my husband went home and got him to bring into the hospital for a little while. MIL watched him again a bit more after that, my husband went home to do bed time, and then he came back an hour or two after my son was definitely asleep and MIL stayed overnight with the toddler. We repeated the same process the next day, although my husband stayed home for several hours at various points and my MIL kept me company in the hospital once. On discharge day, we all came home as a family together (something my doula highlighted as being super important, fyi!). I think it's fine to ask people to help and rely on them to tell you when it's too much. I think it's also worth keeping in mind that you could have your wife's friends hang with her at the hospital while you get in some older kid time. I did find being at the hospital by myself for a few hours at a time incredibly boring and, if I ever did it again (not planning on it), I would arrange for my friends to come by.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

hepscat posted:

You guys have to learn to ask the right questions.

"Did anyone barf in class today?"

:v: No, but Alisha brought slime for lunch!

"Did anyone get a red card today?"

:v: Yeah Ethan threw a book on the ground and he had to miss Free Choice time!

vs:

"What did you do today?"

*grunt*

Kids are all about the gossip.

I'm going to try this with my two oldest.

right to bear karma
Feb 20, 2001

There's a Dr. Fist here to see you.

TacoNight posted:

We moved 1400 miles away from my family (my husband's family is on another continent) about two and a half months before I gave birth to my second. I'm a stay at home mom and we knew no one who we felt comfortable leaving our two-year-old with. The hospital where I gave birth was actually okay with the toddler being there, but since we didn't know that until I went into labor, the plan had basically been for me to go it alone if my family couldn't get there in time.

Fortunately, my parents happened to be traveling to see us when I went into preterm labor due to abruption and watched our toddler while I had the baby. After, my husband went back home to bring our two-year-old and my parents for a visit, then stayed at home with them overnight since that's when the toddler had the hardest time. My husband came for a few daytime visits during the remainder of the hospital stay but I spent much of my time there alone. I kind of preferred it since I could focus on the new baby in a way I wouldn't be able to once I was back home and around other people. The nurses were there if I needed help with anything.

Ultimately, it'll be whatever you guys feel the most comfortable doing. If your toddler is having a really hard time, then adjust as you go.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
You won't really know how to prepare for the older child's reaction until you are in the middle of it. I was lucky, for both kids I was due around a holiday (Thanksgiving and New Years) so my mother and my MIL traveled to visit us and visit/babysit as needed. It sounds like you have a strong support structure of other parents, so by all means lean on them as they have all been through similar situations, I'm sure.

I was eager to be home right away with my first child, and cherished every moment in the hospital with my second. I was happy with hospital visits, but happier to just get some rest. I know being tended to in the hospital was the only time I would really have any kind of relaxation with so many people in the house and a new baby to care for.

Lyz
May 22, 2007

I AM A GIRL ON WOW GIVE ME ITAMS
We called my MIL when I was pretty sure I was in labor, and she started her 5 hour drive to get to us. I had to go to the hospital beforehand so my husband's coworker's son (who got conscripted because the coworker and his wife who wanted to do it were away) came over at midnight to have someone in the house just in case my son woke up until my MIL got there. I paid him with a gift certificate to Dairy Queen.

So I guess my advice is to go into labor after the first kid goes to sleep and anyone can watch them. On the plus side, the second baby comes out pretty quick and you're already a pro at the whole newborn thing, so you won't need your husband as much. And the hospital will probably let you out earlier if their are no complications.

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Stop, hey, what's that sound?
Thank you all for the suggestions. The back-and-forth plan sounds good, hope the older kid takes it okay. Having mama away for yoga class in the evening is already totally unacceptable for her.

It looks like we're in very good hands: last night one of our friends has drew up a daily schedule with sign-up slots to make sure there is 24 hour coverage for who we should call. The Oct 31st column explicitly includes Halloween duties. :3:

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

TacoNight posted:

Thank you all for the suggestions. The back-and-forth plan sounds good, hope the older kid takes it okay. Having mama away for yoga class in the evening is already totally unacceptable for her.

It looks like we're in very good hands: last night one of our friends has drew up a daily schedule with sign-up slots to make sure there is 24 hour coverage for who we should call. The Oct 31st column explicitly includes Halloween duties. :3:

Mine would scream bloody murder in the middle of the night if I wasn't there. He did just fine. :)

Chicken Biscuits
Oct 17, 2008
For those of you who cloth diaper, what method of stripping works best for you? I use BumGenius pockets and recently the inserts still smell after drying, and Allison's been leaking majorly, even an hour after changing her. I don't have blue Dawn soap, which I heard was recommended, so I put then through a regular hot wash with detergent, then two hot washes without. The liners had no smell when they came out, but after a few days she's really leaking through again.

Also, what detergent do you use? We've been making our own but I'm willing to pay extra to find something that might work better.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Chicken Biscuits posted:

For those of you who cloth diaper, what method of stripping works best for you? I use BumGenius pockets and recently the inserts still smell after drying, and Allison's been leaking majorly, even an hour after changing her. I don't have blue Dawn soap, which I heard was recommended, so I put then through a regular hot wash with detergent, then two hot washes without. The liners had no smell when they came out, but after a few days she's really leaking through again.

Also, what detergent do you use? We've been making our own but I'm willing to pay extra to find something that might work better.

We use Country Save and every 4 or 5 loads (if we remember), we throw in a tablespoon of vinegar. That's it, nothing special. We do always run with the "extra rinse" option. Never had any problems with leaks and he's been using these diapers for at least a year. They smell a little but only when he's really saturated one.

Our diapers are the OsoCozy prefolds.

e: oh also, we do hot wash/cold rinse. I don't know if that makes a difference, I'm no laundry expert.

Papercut fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Sep 12, 2014

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

We are the ones we've been waiting for.
Are the liners soaked or mostly dry when she's leaking? I've stripped with bleach before. I put in a quarter cup of bleach, let the tub fill and swish around a bit and then dump the diapers in. We have a top loader though, so not sure how to do it with a front loader.

This is a good article with more info than you could ever want about washing diapers. http://www.cloththatcounts.com/?p=997

Chicken Biscuits
Oct 17, 2008
I haven't actually looked at the liners before I toss them in the diaper pail, but the diaper feels pretty heavy. She's started drinking more water now too, come to think of it, so I don't know now. Thanks for the link! I'll go check it out.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
I put in dawn with a cold quick rinse, then the green bag baby detergent + dawn for the longer hot/ cold cycle. They come out pretty clean.

Exit: I should say, I started doing this after the first need for diaper stripping and didn't stop. Haven't had to strip since, no stinkiness and no leaks, though we have switched to a disposable overnight.

SexyPatTO
Jul 1, 2014

Mister Blueberry posted:

These last few days have been hell. Ive never complained about my boy, sure brestfeeding and teething were a bitch, big deal. But now, at 15 months he became a screecher. I know this is a phase, him not talking yet, but gently caress man, he shrieks like a motherfucker all day long. Point at something, want, don't want, hungry, not hungry, play, don't play, motherfucking body snatchers shrieks all day long. Can this be helped because it's.driving me crazy

I see that this was posted a while ago, and maybe your 15 month old, now 15.5 months, is beyond this phase, but I wanted to try to get a bit of karma before posting my own question.

We have a 2.5 (actually about 2.75 now) year old who has been through a few shrieking phases. It is incredibly irritating! These phases have always preceded a big developmental leap, especially a leap in his talking. As with swearing (I see there are some other posts about this topic), the best thing to do is just to not make a big deal about it, often just to ignore it (sometimes this is impossible, obviously). Most times they're just trying to figure out a way to communicate, and the screeching is a symptom of frustration. I say this like I know what I'm talking about, but of course I am not actually a pediatrician. This was just our experience with our kid. Now he just talks incessantly, but no screeching!

SexyPatTO
Jul 1, 2014
OK, so I enterprisingly/lazily went back like 5 pages in the thread (haven't been on for a couple weeks) and have found no potty training questions so I will ask my own even though I know potty training is a perennial topic.

Why won't our 2 3/4 yr old use the toilet for god's sake??

A couple months ago I posted about him briefly using the toilet and then holding it in for 4 days. So we decided to soft pedal it a bit and just wait til he's "ready." And now he completely knows the deal, and after dinner, which is always when he has to take a huge poo poo, he always says "I'm not gonna poop in the potty, I'm gonna poop in my diaper." For weeks we've just been playing along with this, and then tonight my wife sort of pushed it a bit and said "Why don't we try pooping on the potty?" and then everything went to hell--just a total fit of willful resistance.

He's ultimately a very rational creature and, after we dropped it and ignored his squalling for a while, he went to bed in a good mood, babbling about how he's going to use the potty in "5 days," etc.

We are leery of providing him with "rewards" for pooping and we don't want to force him to go into the bathroom etc because we don't want him to grow up to be some sort of hung-up freak, but we also know that he knows what he's supposed to do....

Hmm. I feel like I may be answering my own question. "Patience," perhaps? Well, any advice/experiences would be pleasant to hear...

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

LordingBarry posted:

Hmm. I feel like I may be answering my own question. "Patience," perhaps? Well, any advice/experiences would be pleasant to hear...

Patience. My son's preschool teacher insists that potty training should be child-driven. She says that, in her experience, the only four year olds who aren't potty trained are the ones who were really pushed by their parents when they weren't ready themselves. She also said it's completely normal for them (boys especially) to not be ready until after age three, but that if you wait until they're ready, they'll basically potty train themselves.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

skeetied posted:

Patience. My son's preschool teacher insists that potty training should be child-driven. She says that, in her experience, the only four year olds who aren't potty trained are the ones who were really pushed by their parents when they weren't ready themselves. She also said it's completely normal for them (boys especially) to not be ready until after age three, but that if you wait until they're ready, they'll basically potty train themselves.

Seconding this. My wife potty-trained several dozen kids in the years she taught preschool. Kid shows interest? Be supportive, understand you're going to clean up a lot of messes for a week, and then enjoy not paying for diapers forever.

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur

LordingBarry posted:

OK, so I enterprisingly/lazily went back like 5 pages in the thread (haven't been on for a couple weeks) and have found no potty training questions so I will ask my own even though I know potty training is a perennial topic.

Why won't our 2 3/4 yr old use the toilet for god's sake??

A couple months ago I posted about him briefly using the toilet and then holding it in for 4 days. So we decided to soft pedal it a bit and just wait til he's "ready." And now he completely knows the deal, and after dinner, which is always when he has to take a huge poo poo, he always says "I'm not gonna poop in the potty, I'm gonna poop in my diaper." For weeks we've just been playing along with this, and then tonight my wife sort of pushed it a bit and said "Why don't we try pooping on the potty?" and then everything went to hell--just a total fit of willful resistance.

He's ultimately a very rational creature and, after we dropped it and ignored his squalling for a while, he went to bed in a good mood, babbling about how he's going to use the potty in "5 days," etc.

We are leery of providing him with "rewards" for pooping and we don't want to force him to go into the bathroom etc because we don't want him to grow up to be some sort of hung-up freak, but we also know that he knows what he's supposed to do....

It will pass. He won't go to kindergarten in diapers. ;) Encourage, but don't try to force--because you're right, it will cause major problems down the road. They have ultimate control over their bodily functions, and they know it. You won't win, and it will be utter misery for everyone if you push too hard. He'll just save it up for at night when he's in a Pull Up or whatever for sleeping. Pooping seems to be a particular hang up. My oldest was past 4 before he stopped having poop accidents in his underwear (because he held it until the last possible moment, and then didn't make it in time.) My neighbor's kid was older than that. My kid also once held it for 4 days because he refused to go in the toilet. There's a kid in my 3 year old's class who solemnly told me that he will not poop in the potty, and that's why he doesn't have new Play Doh. :3: My 3.5 year old kid nodded along in silent solidarity. Mine will only poop on the potty if he's wearing no pants and the choice is between squatting on the floor and the toilet. Underwear? Poop. Every time. The only reason I haven't crawled out of my own skin is because I already went through this with my older son and know that nothing good comes from doing anything forceful about it.

hepscat
Jan 16, 2005

Avenging Nun
I have two kids. The first kid, we did every potty training trick suggested - incentives, stickers, m&ms, promises, bottom line is she was finally trained about a month before her 4th birthday. It was stress all around for all of us.

My second kid, we only gently invited if he expressed an interest, then he would back down right away so we waited. One day he picked up some red underwear we had in his drawer, all ready to go when he was done with diapers, and he asked to wear them. Just like that, he was trained. He was 3 and 3 months.

The 2nd way was a lot less stressful and ended up being quicker, too. It's hard in the sense that you know they can physically do it by that age, but until he had made up his mind that it was the way to go, there wasn't any point to forcing him.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL
Another thing to consider when potty training is that sitting on the toilet to poop is the least stimulating thing in their day. It is straight up boring, AND it means quitting whatever awesomely engrossing lego/television/fight-with-sibling thing they are doing to poop. So they won't think to do it until it is urgent, and they will miss from time to time. Putting them on the pot 5 times a day at regular intervals, and not interrupting something awesome might help. "You don't have to go, but nothing else is going to be happening for the next 5 minutes, and we're here anyway, so do or don't, your call"

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Slo-Tek posted:

Another thing to consider when potty training is that sitting on the toilet to poop is the least stimulating thing in their day. It is straight up boring, AND it means quitting whatever awesomely engrossing lego/television/fight-with-sibling thing they are doing to poop. So they won't think to do it until it is urgent, and they will miss from time to time. Putting them on the pot 5 times a day at regular intervals, and not interrupting something awesome might help. "You don't have to go, but nothing else is going to be happening for the next 5 minutes, and we're here anyway, so do or don't, your call"

I apparently have a toddler who likes boredom, then. He'll happily sit on the potty for half an hour, neither peeing nor pooping, and then the instant he's back in pull-ups or a couple minutes after he's back in cloth underwear, he'll pee or poop. Then he'll yell "Bathroom!" and run to the bathroom. I tried telling him, "Try to get here before you pee," and the only result was that as I arrive in the bathroom after me he says, "Try to get here before the pee!" as a greeting.

sudont
May 10, 2011
this program is useful for when you don't want to do something.

Fun Shoe
After the suggestions I got here I've been putting my 15 month old on the potty for some diaper changes, hoping to catch him when he needs to pee so I can make a big deal out of it if he pees in the potty. He did for the first time yesterday, which was awesome, so I think if we can get him to pee in it a couple more times he'll get the connection. It sings a song when he pees, which startled him but he loved it because we all came in and clapped, haha.

I realize consistency is key, but the aim right now isn't to potty train him (his poops are pretty unpredictable and he's not walking yet) but acclimation, so any bit helps.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

sudont posted:

I realize consistency is key, but the aim right now isn't to potty train him (his poops are pretty unpredictable and he's not walking yet) but acclimation, so any bit helps.

After we heard horror stories of kids being scared of flushing toilets or of using a big potty, we have been putting my almost-4 year old on the big potty (and later a little training potty) since he was 2. It hasn't actually trained him, he's in the willful resistance phase of training, but he's comfortable sitting on any potty we put him on.

And yeah, I am trying the whole patience thing, but it is rather frustrating to know he can do it but just chooses not to. There's a little bit of sore pride on my part, I just have to keep reminding myself that it will happen eventually.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Jasper LOVES flushing the potty and say and wave bye bye to his poopies when we dump them in from his diaper and screams if one of us forgets to let him do it. He even tries to flush it if I'm sitting on it. We still haven't really started doing any hardcore potty training yet. If we're near the bathroom and he starts making his poopface I ask him if he wants to sit on the potty, but we never make it in time. Sometimes he asks to sit, but I think he thinks its just fun to take his diaper off and sit (for 5 seconds) and then try to get up and flush the big toilet. We've had a lot of "new" things start in his life so we're trying to wait for that to get more routine. My husband and I went back to work in August so he's in daycare again a few days a week. We also transitioned his crib to a toddler bed yesterday! I don't want him to get too overwhelmed with new things.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Alexandra took a monster dump in her potty one day about a month ago, and hasn't done it since. She's just taunting us, I know it.

Worse, she did it with me, daddy, and not mommy who was trying to get her interested.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
So my 15 month old now has the ability to unlatch his tray from his high chair and flip it and everything on it onto the ground. So I'm thinking it is time to upgrade to a booster seat, since he can't flip the table. The car seat recommendations were really good, does anyone have any good booster seat ones? This guy is around 2.5 feet tall, around 22 pounds, my only requirement is I want the booster seat to have straps to keep him in, and I'd prefer one that just ties or attaches to one of our dining room chairs.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

greatn posted:

So my 15 month old now has the ability to unlatch his tray from his high chair and flip it and everything on it onto the ground. So I'm thinking it is time to upgrade to a booster seat, since he can't flip the table. The car seat recommendations were really good, does anyone have any good booster seat ones? This guy is around 2.5 feet tall, around 22 pounds, my only requirement is I want the booster seat to have straps to keep him in, and I'd prefer one that just ties or attaches to one of our dining room chairs.

Make sure he will use it first. Ours will refuse to use a booster seat and flips out if you strap her in.

lady flash
Dec 26, 2007
keeper of the speed force
We've used this one for a year with no issues. First with the tray and now pulled up to the table. http://m.target.com/p/safety-1st-sit-snack-go-convertible-booster-seat/-/A-14660981

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Volmarias posted:

Make sure he will use it first. Ours will refuse to use a booster seat and flips out if you strap her in.

He was OK with it in a restaurant a few months ago that didn't have high chairs, but I guess there's no telling how he feels about it currently.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

lady flash posted:

We've used this one for a year with no issues. First with the tray and now pulled up to the table. http://m.target.com/p/safety-1st-sit-snack-go-convertible-booster-seat/-/A-14660981

This is the one we have and it works well. We don't use the tray and just have him slid up to the table. Its nice cause you can hose it down in the shower and it collapses down enough to take with us when we go visit relatives.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

lady flash posted:

Thirding the recommendation for this one. It's really easy to fold, unfold, and attach to a chair, and it's a lot easier to clean than the high chair was.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Well I've discovered if my mom ever babysits she will completely clean my kitchen and the chair top to bottom and make me feel guilty about it. Jokes on her, now I'm just getting free cleaning with the free babysitting. I am immune from your guilt in making my relatively clean already kitchen with a couple dishes in the sink into a spotless one the day before I was going to mop it and put the chair cover in the washing machine.

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009
We recently put a potty in the bathroom and my 14 month old is just exploring it at will and experimenting with sitting on it, and we're generally pointing out peeing and pooping if we catch it happening, just so she'll understand the words and what they refer to. I have no idea if any of this will help when potty training time eventually comes around, but I figure it can't hurt v :) v

And re chairchat, everyone should own ye Olde Scandinavian Favourite, the tripptrapp-chair.

Thanks to kindergarten, kiddo is now using it as her own personal jungle gym. Not heart-attack-inducing in the slightest!

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Sockmuppet posted:

And re chairchat, everyone should own ye Olde Scandinavian Favourite, the tripptrapp-chair.

Thanks to kindergarten, kiddo is now using it as her own personal jungle gym. Not heart-attack-inducing in the slightest!

We got one of these for a high chair. While pretty, it is the biggest pain in the rear end to get clean. We've stored it away and use the booster posted already until we can just use it as a regular chair.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Sockmuppet posted:

I had one of those when I was a kid in the seventies. So did my wife. Now our three kids each have one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hufflepuff or bust!
Jan 28, 2005

I should have known better.
Joining the thread with my two new twin boys, J and D. Just turning 6 weeks old tomorrow! They had 2 weeks in the NICU from coming at 35 weeks, but have been home for a month now and are doing great. We're having problems with reflux, though. They're still eating about every 3 hours, sometimes they both nurse but at night we use pumped milk in bottles. I'm still trying to dial in the amounts - it seems like it is usually about 100 ml (3.5 oz or so), but they vary wildly. I've heard that babies "won't" overeat and will stop when they are full, but I can generally get them to eat if I am patient and wait for them to open their mouths - even if it doesn't look like they're into it. Am I overfeeding them by accident and causing reflux? My in-laws are staying with us and they're fabulous but I when they are doing a feeding and the boys stop eating or fall asleep they just say "whelp!" and throw out the remainder of the bottle. I'm trying to be relaxed about this, but they started out so tiny so I have become the food nazi making them eat eat eat.