Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
Tomorrow I'll be spending the day at Epcot and desperately trying not to spend money. This is probably going to kind of suck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Doronin posted:

Tomorrow I'll be spending the day at Epcot and desperately trying not to spend money. This is probably going to kind of suck.

Food and wine fest starts today, how are you NOT going to spend money??? :)

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
Star Wars happenings at Disneyland

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2015/09/season-of-the-force-begins-november-16-at-disneyland-park-in-southern-california/

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I'm going to try and hit Food & Wine tomorrow before going to HHN.

tranten
Jan 14, 2003

^pube

My friends and I board the plane to Florida in under 24 hours! :woop:

Didn't mean to parallel our trip with the food &I wine fest but I like food AND I like wine so I shall be capitalizing on the opportunity, I think.

There's 5 of us, in a time share that I don't have to pay for, and getting into parks with a CM so I don't have to pay for that either! It's my first time in wdw and I'll be so spoiled.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

I still have a month and a half and I am DYING.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Doronin posted:

Just got home. Bummed as hell. I was stoked to find out yesterday they did a soft opening of Food and Wine on my last day so I went HAM on merch. So much good stuff. Grabbed the pin, recipe book, and salt shaker trash cans.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

mattfl posted:

Food and wine fest starts today, how are you NOT going to spend money??? :)

Precisely. It's going to be the ultimate test of willpower!

Tim Whatley posted:

Just got home. Bummed as hell. I was stoked to find out yesterday they did a soft opening of Food and Wine on my last day so I went HAM on merch. So much good stuff. Grabbed the pin, recipe book, and salt shaker trash cans.

Maybe I better set a budget...

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Oh boy this better last until the movie is released. gonna land at LAX and go on Hyperspace Mountain jetlagged :dance:

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Braks, do you have PMs or is there an email I should just send you? I have my bounce back confirm and I think today we're going to plan our dates for April in time for the general public release on Monday. Thanks!

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Tim Whatley posted:

Braks, do you have PMs or is there an email I should just send you? I have my bounce back confirm and I think today we're going to plan our dates for April in time for the general public release on Monday. Thanks!

Braks has PMs (proper capitalization is important there) or you can email her at ssagona@MMVAgent.com. She's driving right now but says if you send her your email address, she can send you a transfer form for the bounce back.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Silly Burrito posted:

Braks has PMs (proper capitalization is important there) or you can email her at ssagona@MMVAgent.com. She's driving right now but says if you send her your email address, she can send you a transfer form for the bounce back.

Email sent! Thanks!

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

Discounts are live this morning. There's a Family Vacation offer, a Room Discount, and a Disney Jr offer. Pretty good deals all around. I got one of my clients a garden view room at POFQ with 6 day base tickets and standard dining for $200 less than all those same options at AS Movies.

Anyone wanting to take advantage should PM me.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."

The countdown is on. These have been stuck in USPS tracking limbo for a week, and were the doorstep when I go in. I can't believe it's actually really happening now.

Happitoo
Nov 24, 2005

We are going to go for the store, then the district manager. Then WE ARE GOING TO THE CORPORATE OFFICE AND THEN TO THE EXECUTIVES! DXRYAHHHHHHHHH!!

Anya posted:

The countdown is on. These have been stuck in USPS tracking limbo for a week, and were the doorstep when I go in. I can't believe it's actually really happening now.

I just want to say it's bullshit that they put the luggage tags in with magic bands now. Because I'm in Canada they don't ship us our bands. We need to get them at the resort. I liked having the luggage tags they gave to put on my luggage for the trip.

I realize that's a petty complaint, but it's still crap.

On the bright side, 27 more days to go...

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

Anya posted:

I'm so glad you got them! I really wasn't making any headway on trying to find out where they were!

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
Hey everybody, OP here. Long time no type. In fact, I haven't even visited this thread since I posted a pic of my loving Magic Band bill after we got back from our trip in April. I'm not going to read all 1,200 posts since then, but I'll catch up on the last few pages.

I just updated the "what it costs" hotel/ticket examples in the OP, and simplified them a bit. I'll freshen up the rest of the OP in the next few days, mostly the attraction info. Can somebody take a look at the hotel map and tell me if it's still up to date?

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

Hotel map looks fine to me.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
Any chance we could ask a mod to change the thread title? Very few posts are from first-timers, and it's mostly a general discussion thread.

I wonder if the current title might scare away people who aren't first-timers but would enjoy talking about Disney World stuff.

It's definitely not a big deal, just an idea.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Maybe even make it a general WDW/DL thread? We're starting to plan our trip to Cali and it would be nice to have some West coasters here.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

Lincoln posted:

Hey everybody, OP here. Long time no type. In fact, I haven't even visited this thread since I posted a pic of my loving Magic Band bill after we got back from our trip in April. I'm not going to read all 1,200 posts since then, but I'll catch up on the last few pages.

I just updated the "what it costs" hotel/ticket examples in the OP, and simplified them a bit. I'll freshen up the rest of the OP in the next few days, mostly the attraction info. Can somebody take a look at the hotel map and tell me if it's still up to date?

Not sure if you saw this, but there is a great post about taxi service you could link to:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3544789&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=115#post450369573

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."

Braksgirl posted:

I'm so glad you got them! I really wasn't making any headway on trying to find out where they were!

Literally from start to finish, 10 days, 6 were being in limbo from Cincinnati to me. Who knows? I could see the tracking thing just say in transit so I assume it was by snail.

PkerUNO
Dec 21, 2007

Ambitious but rubbish

Bottom Liner posted:

Maybe even make it a general WDW/DL thread? We're starting to plan our trip to Cali and it would be nice to have some West coasters here.

Why not make it a general "Disney resorts" thread? I think we've got a good selection of well-travelled people here and I doubt there'd be enough interest for an "international Disney parks" thread.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

tomapot posted:

Not sure if you saw this, but there is a great post about taxi service you could link to:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3544789&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=115#post450369573

Wow, that's great. I've added it to the OP.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
Welcome back mister Lincoln, we have kept the place nice and tidy.. sort of.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
Thanks man. Curious to know how much conversation there was when Star Wars Land was announced. You know, first time I saw Tatooine Traders, I thought if they built a replica of the Mos Eisley cantina and served alcohol, they would make infinity dollars a day.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
Cantina would be bucks.. they already opened an Indiana Jones themed restaurant at Disney Springs. I can only imagine the line to get into Cantina. I would eat there every time unless the food was just awful.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Lincoln posted:

Thanks man. Curious to know how much conversation there was when Star Wars Land was announced. You know, first time I saw Tatooine Traders, I thought if they built a replica of the Mos Eisley cantina and served alcohol, they would make infinity dollars a day.

I live near the Orlando theme parks so I attend them regularly and see just what the crowds go for. When the two Harry Potter lands at Universal opened, they got loving mobbed. Just getting a butterbeer could involve a 10 or 20 minute wait at the shortest line available, from a stand that sold nothing but drinks. The Leaky Cauldron improved on the chaos of seating at the older Three Broomsticks by having a host find your party a seat after you pay for your food and placing a numbered sign on your table so the food can be brought to you. They also insisted on having authentic sizes for the paths in Hogsmede and Diagon Alley, so for about a year or two (before the newness completely wears off) the crowds were obscene. You had to wait in line just to enter the stores in Hogsmede because they were so small, because otherwise it would look like a very strange Black Friday riot.

Ironically, the best time to visit Diagon Alley is Halloween Horror Nights. This is the first year they've had it open during the event to help ease the infamous crowds, but everyone is so busy at the HHN stuff that Harry Potter is pretty much free for the taking. It's very calming to head to the Leaky Cauldron and get a dark, quiet corner booth by yourself for some bangers & mash with butterbeer when the house lines are tremendous. It also means that Gringotts has practically no line for much of the night, when it can be an hour or more for most of the daylight hours.

So based on that, I can safely say that Star Wars Land and Avatar Land are both going to have ridiculous crowds for at least a year or two. Avatar probably less so, but Star Wars is going to be hard as balls to get into any of the attractions unless you've got an inside line or planned well (unless you really love standing in line for two hours). The Cantina is going to be wall-to-wall tourists unless they do like Trader Sam's and restrict the number of guests allowed inside at a time.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

chitoryu12 posted:

The Cantina is going to be wall-to-wall tourists unless they do like Trader Sam's and restrict the number of guests allowed inside at a time.

Trader Sam's had just opened when we went in April. There was never less than a 1-hour wait, and it was as long as 2-3 hours. I mean, it's literally in our hotel, and it was still too much of a pain in the rear end to go. If it had been just me and my wife, we probably would have waited, but my parents were with us this time, and I was the only one of the group that really wanted to go. So we did the next-best thing:

I hate, hate, hate what they did to the Polynesian. They not only removed the interior lobby rain forest waterfall, they gutted a ton of exterior landscaping, too. What used to be this:

(not my photo)

...is now this:

(my photo) That's total bullshit.
Wife & I have a ton of great post-wedding photos taken all over the Poly (where we got married), and almost all of those scenic areas are gone. Sunset Point is still there, but the view of the MK is blocked by those DVC bungalows.

View of the new lobby from the 2nd floor of the Great Ceremonial House:

The space below is much brighter and more open, of course, but it's not like there were traffic issues before. The hotel lost a lot because of these changes.

At one point I ate one of these at, I think, Animal Kingdom:

Mom gettin' shitfaced:

A CM gave me this after a frustrating turn at the FP+ kiosk:

EXCLUDES
SEVEN DWARFS MINE TRAIN,
poo poo NO ONE CARES ABOUT
We got to use it three times before the person manning the FP line kept it.

Crowds were quite a bit heavier than we're used to (this was April -- we usually go in November or January), but they were nearly nonexistent at least one of the days:

Obligatory Grizwold family photo:

Here's me and the missus at the G-Flo, where we plan to stay next time because the Poly is now a festering poo poo pile:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Polynesian's still got the concierge lounge in the Hawaii building, right? My mom and I would always sneak in for the free food and drinks. As long as you walked in behind another party, nobody would stop you.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

chitoryu12 posted:

Polynesian's still got the concierge lounge in the Hawaii building, right? My mom and I would always sneak in for the free food and drinks. As long as you walked in behind another party, nobody would stop you.

Yes it is. And yes you can still do that. Kinda wrong though.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
How is Biergarten? Fun?

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
We go a couple of times per year.. and eat.. and eat. Well, I do at least but I must feed my tapeworm.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
Biergarten & O'hana are the two restaurants we never miss. Lunch at Biergarten is less expensive and easier to get a reservation for, but dinner is more fun and everyone's drinking a lot more.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
And drinking a lot more..

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
All locals are cordially invited to drink around the world/trader sam's with me for my 30th birthday in early dec.

I will probably not even make it past mexico.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

BlueBayou posted:

All locals are cordially invited to drink around the world/trader sam's with me for my 30th birthday in early dec.

I will probably not even make it past mexico.

The tequila cave might be my favorite place to drink in Epcot, if a bit pricey.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Lincoln posted:

Biergarten & O'hana are the two restaurants we never miss. Lunch at Biergarten is less expensive and easier to get a reservation for, but dinner is more fun and everyone's drinking a lot more.
Ohana and Restaurant Marrakesh are our must-eat restaurants.

Speaking of which, here's my dining trip report from our visit a couple of weeks ago:

- Maya Grill (Coronado Springs) - Chose this due to convenience; we were staying here the first night, and we were meeting some relatives for dinner. It's pretty decent Mexican/Tex-Mex food, though I can't say the $28 fajitas were any better than the $10 ones I can get down the street from my house. Also, it's owned by a third party, and we noticed that the wait staff were kind of surly for a Disney restaurant.

- Boma (Animal Kingdom Lodge) - African buffet, and the first new restaurant for us. The food was good; the buffet lines were really long. I tried just about everything, but the standouts were the lamb and the lobster soup. Zebra Domes are as awesome as everyone had told me, and they don't skimp on the rum. I'm not sure if we'll be going back, just because of the long lines and the fact that Animal Kingdom Lodge is a billion miles from anything else.

- Ohana (Polynesian Village) - What's that? More grilled meat on a stick? Why, yes, I think I will. In fact, just keep it coming until I throw up, please. God, the food here is so good. Unlimited grilled chicken, steak, and shrimp, with wings, dumplings, and noodles on the side. The bananas foster bread pudding is probably the best dessert I had the entire time at Disney. We had an 8:30 reservation and requested a window table, which was perfect -- we got to watch the Wishes fireworks while we ate.

- Be Our Guest (Magic Kingdom) - We mainly wanted to eat here because of the theme, and Disney definitely delivers. We were seated in the "dark" side room, which was covered in tattered tapestries and had a "thunderstorm" raging outside the windows. All three dining areas have their own appeal. I got a steak, while my wife got sauteed shrimp and scallops in a puff pastry. The food was good, but nothing memorable -- I thought even the highly-touted "Grey Stuff" was sort of disappointing. Five stars for atmosphere, three stars for food.

- Restaurant Marrakesh (Epcot) - This is the best restaurant at Disney World. You wouldn't know it, because it's never full. We'd made reservations for late in the evening, and I think only two or three other tables were occupied. We decided to splurge and get the two "feasts", each of which is a huge platter of various Moroccan and Mediterranean food. It's a mountain of lamb, chicken, couscous, potatoes, and more. Also, there's live music and belly dancers. Why does nobody eat there? They are stupid, that's why. Look, I can be a picky eater at times too, but if you avoid this place because you're not sure what Moroccan food is, you're really missing out.

- Flying Fish Cafe (Boardwalk Inn) - We wanted to have a romantic dinner at a fancy restaurant for our last night at Disney World, and this is located right at our hotel. Perfect, right? Well, sort of. The menu and level of service are appropriate for an upscale seafood restaurant, but it's also Disney, so that means they packed in twice as many tables as the space should accommodate for this type of restaurant. It was incredibly loud, to the point where we stopped trying to talk and pulled out our phones. So much for romance! Well, the food was good, at least. I had the potato-wrapped red snapper, and it may be the best fish dish I've ever eaten. My wife got the swordfish and said it was amazing. We skipped dessert due to the noise, and ate pastries from the bakery next door instead.

We also ate a ton of good counter service. I think the standouts were the shwarma platter at Tangerine Cafe and basically everything at Sunshine Seasons in Epcot.

I love eating at Disney World. Honestly, I think I get more excited about the meals than the rides these days (but it didn't stop us from riding Expedition Everest about 20 times in one day).

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Biergarten is awesome if you like German food. We go once or twice a year and always enjoy it. Marrakesh is amazing too, glad to see someone else appreciates it. We're going to try Boma and Ohana soon, along with Sanaa. We have 9:00 reservations at California Grill tomorrow though, first time going. :woop:

On a down note, Coral Reef changed some of their menu and new Pork Belly dish isn't nearly as amazing as the old one, which was my favorite dish at WDW. I was so sad to see it changed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

WhiteHowler posted:

I love eating at Disney World. Honestly, I think I get more excited about the meals than the rides these days (but it didn't stop us from riding Expedition Everest about 20 times in one day).

I always love looking at the websites listing top restaurants in the Orlando area, because they inevitably include Disney on them. Orlando's got some pretty good stuff, but it's nowhere near on the level of other big cities like NYC, Chicago, or New Orleans for cuisine. Disney really is the best place to eat in Orlando.

Bottom Liner posted:

On a down note, Coral Reef changed some of their menu and new Pork Belly dish isn't nearly as amazing as the old one, which was my favorite dish at WDW. I was so sad to see it changed.

Coral Reef holds a special place in my heart because their shrimp is how I discovered a nearly fatal seafood allergy when I was like, 4.