Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Psycho Landlord posted:

No, he's literally set up to ram it. As in smash ship into toaster. It doesn't matter how damaged he is, if he taps it it's probably dead.

getting rammed by supercap ships is hilariously lethal to everyone involved

which is probably why you aren't allowed to do it normally

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

President Ark posted:

getting rammed by supercap ships is hilariously lethal to everyone involved

which is probably why you aren't allowed to do it normally

I'm super sad that's missing from the Garden missions; no Needleships making a sweeping turn and wiping out half your fleet with its tail.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Rhjamiz posted:

I'm super sad that's missing from the Garden missions; no Needleships making a sweeping turn and wiping out half your fleet with its tail.

Good news!

The final needleship ran over my captured destroyer this play through. Fighter ramming is also less finicky in general in 2.0. So I think they got HW1 style collisions worked out again.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I have never heard it referred to as this but it's so accurate, space banana vs space toaster.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one

General Battuta posted:

I heard someone say that due to a typo scouts were super effective vs. other fighters right now, and I remember there being a few scouts in that mix. No idea if that's true, though.
Is this a typo too?

The black-painted versions of the taiidan ships chasing the defector say they deal 5x the damage they should, same with assault frigates as compared to mine/normal taiidan assault frigs. They're just black-colored versions of the taiidan ship.

e: Aww man, they don't keep the stats when you jump to the next mission they are just normal captured ion frigates.

Sanctum fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jun 13, 2016

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Nah, those are elite guard ships, they've always had bullshit stats.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The Kushan are loads more fun to play now. The research order changes are nice!

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
I'm halfway through Bridge of Sighs. Long and pointless cutscene starts, apparently the combat is still running during the entire thing which is very gearbox. Cutscene ends and I find half my main fleet dead and the battlecruiser I stole separated and about to die. I could have easily bought a whole new fleet but being cheated by flaws in game design like that is bothersome so I wanted to reload. Load my manual running save, wrong mission, loading another mission erases your autosaves for the current mission so I have to restart bridge of sighs from the beginning.

There's easily 100+ ion frigates on Bridge of Sighs. :sigh: I don't want to do this awful mission all over again, I might just skip to HW2 tomorrow. Any other gearbox things I should be wary of? Do torpedo frigates in HW2 remain the end-all, be-all solution?

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Sanctum posted:

I'm halfway through Bridge of Sighs. Long and pointless cutscene starts, apparently the combat is still running during the entire thing which is very gearbox. Cutscene ends and I find half my main fleet dead and the battlecruiser I stole separated and about to die. I could have easily bought a whole new fleet but being cheated by flaws in game design like that is bothersome so I wanted to reload. Load my manual running save, wrong mission, loading another mission erases your autosaves for the current mission so I have to restart bridge of sighs from the beginning.

There's easily 100+ ion frigates on Bridge of Sighs. :sigh: I don't want to do this awful mission all over again, I might just skip to HW2 tomorrow. Any other gearbox things I should be wary of? Do torpedo frigates in HW2 remain the end-all, be-all solution?

you can do that mission with cloak fighters to skip past the huge ion frigate bubble and just have them kill the doohickey

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Oh poo poo, did they fix this game? HW1 Remaster was one of the most crushing disappointments I'd had in years after being the first game I pre-ordered in years despite the fact that I probably should have been skeptical. The guns and the formations and the tactics being hosed up basically made it so unplayable I couldn't even bring myself to go on to Homeworld 2.

Thank you based Gearbox for finally fixing your poo poo instead of just washing your hands like some devs would. Better late than never they say.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Sanctum posted:

President Ark posted:

you can do that mission with cloak fighters to skip past the huge ion frigate bubble and just have them kill the doohickey

You also don't have to kill all the Ion frigates, if that's what's slowing you down so much. Just punch a decent size hole in the sphere with some bombers, draw them into your big guns if you have to, then make a run at the inhibitor. Should only have a heavy cruiser and some destroyers actually guarding it.

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013

Sanguinia posted:

Oh poo poo, did they fix this game? HW1 Remaster was one of the most crushing disappointments I'd had in years after being the first game I pre-ordered in years despite the fact that I probably should have been skeptical. The guns and the formations and the tactics being hosed up basically made it so unplayable I couldn't even bring myself to go on to Homeworld 2.

Thank you based Gearbox for finally fixing your poo poo instead of just washing your hands like some devs would. Better late than never they say.

Yeah, game is good and fun now. Similar enough to be great, different enough that you need to relearn what's going on.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It's weird to me how many people found HW1R unplayable, I thought it was easier than I remembered. Then I replayed Classic and so was that. :shrug:

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013
It wasn't unplayable (outside of bugs/script problems) it just wasn't fun to play.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

RBA Starblade posted:

It's weird to me how many people found HW1R unplayable, I thought it was easier than I remembered. Then I replayed Classic and so was that. :shrug:

It wasn't hard, just lovely.

The cutscene on Bridge of Sighs not pausing combat is really stupid. But the mission's very easy right now since the Taiidan don't seem to attack the mothership - just bomber a hole in the sphere and send a strike in to destroy the inhibitor.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I thought Homeworld cutscenes always made everything invincible until they were done?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

General Battuta posted:

It wasn't hard, just lovely.

The cutscene on Bridge of Sighs not pausing combat is really stupid. But the mission's very easy right now since the Taiidan don't seem to attack the mothership - just bomber a hole in the sphere and send a strike in to destroy the inhibitor.

Outside of the group that hyperspaces in and anything that gets close to a frigate, no one ever attacked the MS iirc. It's a pretty chill mission.

quote:

It wasn't unplayable (outside of bugs/script problems) it just wasn't fun to play.

I disagree, but I'm glad you like it now.

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013
It was the RNG bullets and lack of strikecraft formations that killed it for me so yeah, I really couldn't be happier now and have nothing but praise for the handful of guys that managed to nurse this through.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Bridge of Sighs didn't have an Ion Cannon sphere for me post 2.0. They all just milled around harassing anything that wandered too close. I managed to distract a large group with bombers on evasive while my main force took out the destroyers and heavy cruiser.

Allen_Aldo
Jul 8, 2013
Stray observation: the destroyers in HW1 are way more neat looking than their heavy cruiser counterparts, but in Hw2 Battleships are far more visually interesting than destroyers.

I find this strange; from a design standpoint, I would think the impulse would be to make your top tier ships the coolest looking.

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013
A lot of the HW1 ship designs feel like they're clever responses to the hardware limitations of the day, specifically the drop in the level of detail as you zoomed out. Ships needed to be fat and blocky by design so that it wasn't obvious that they had down-poly'd when you're looking at the battle as a whole and the bigger the ship, the fatter and blockier they had to be.

The Kushan missile destroyer is a good example of this not going well when it blocks in the area between its pods, which I always found a little jarring.

Anyway, my thinking is that with the smaller ships, right up to Destroyer, they could be more interesting in its design up to a point but for Heavy Cruisers, which tend to really stand out, they basically went 'gently caress it, sausage with some turrets', to try and avoid this issue as much as possible.

As a side note I really liked the design of the Vayger Destroyer, but found the Hiigaran 'It's a loving boat' design to be a little lazy (like a lot of the Hiigaran designs honestly).

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

I disagree, but I'm glad you like it now.

I am glad enough people at Gearbox disagreed with you to work on a free update for a year :v:

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

I bought this during some sale but haven't had a chance to play it yet. Glad to hear it's gotten a huge update before I got around to it (having a Steam backlog has its advantages). I'll finally be able to dive in this weekend.

In your expert goon opinions, how does it compare to the originals now? It sounds like I might've been disappointed if I'd booted it up a month ago.

Allen_Aldo
Jul 8, 2013

Nickiepoo posted:

As a side note I really liked the design of the Vayger Destroyer, but found the Hiigaran 'It's a loving boat' design to be a little lazy (like a lot of the Hiigaran designs honestly).

Yes, I considered making the comparison between HW1 heavy cruisers and sausage, but I didn't want to offend sausage fans.

And while I agreed, the Vayger Destroyer is really neat and unique, I am pretty fond of Hiigaran Battlecruiser. From certain angles it does look pretty much like a slate, but it has some interesting angles towards the rear. It's certainly a ship that has good and bad angles.

One design quirk that is evident in the Hig Battlecruiser (and also their carrier, and the torpedo frigate I think) is a prominent, asymmetrical protrusion on one side that almost looks like a docking port. If you look at the concept art for the game, these things were way larger and generally more prominent at one point in the design phase. I feel like it was meant to signify something, but I don't know what. Maybe that the Hig ships were originally supposed to be sort of cobbled together? Those early designs are interesting because they make the ships look less navy-like, but they are really unwieldy looking.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Nickiepoo posted:

A lot of the HW1 ship designs feel like they're clever responses to the hardware limitations of the day, specifically the drop in the level of detail as you zoomed out. Ships needed to be fat and blocky by design so that it wasn't obvious that they had down-poly'd when you're looking at the battle as a whole and the bigger the ship, the fatter and blockier they had to be.

The Kushan missile destroyer is a good example of this not going well when it blocks in the area between its pods, which I always found a little jarring.

Anyway, my thinking is that with the smaller ships, right up to Destroyer, they could be more interesting in its design up to a point but for Heavy Cruisers, which tend to really stand out, they basically went 'gently caress it, sausage with some turrets', to try and avoid this issue as much as possible.

HW1 ships are also designed to be believable as a realistic chassis progression for someone getting new tech and having to put it into practice extremely rapidly. Almost all the ships of each type are clearly based on a single chassis with various weapons and upgrades bolted on (especially visible in the Kushan corvette line and Taiidan destroyer line).

Allen_Aldo posted:

One design quirk that is evident in the Hig Battlecruiser (and also their carrier, and the torpedo frigate I think) is a prominent, asymmetrical protrusion on one side that almost looks like a docking port. If you look at the concept art for the game, these things were way larger and generally more prominent at one point in the design phase. I feel like it was meant to signify something, but I don't know what. Maybe that the Hig ships were originally supposed to be sort of cobbled together? Those early designs are interesting because they make the ships look less navy-like, but they are really unwieldy looking.

That protrusion is the bridge. And yes, it's a horrible place for it. Maybe some sort of ceremonial non-combat bridge or observation deck.

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jun 13, 2016

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Oops doubled.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
There will always be a special place in my heart for the original Kushan Assault Frigate. Love the design, and they are so scrappy.

Allen_Aldo
Jul 8, 2013

DatonKallandor posted:

That protrusion is the bridge. And yes, it's a horrible place for it. Maybe some sort of ceremonial non-combat bridge or observation deck.

Ahhh, so the Hiigs took a page from the Starfleet School of Design and put probably the most important part of the ship in probably the most exposed spot conceivable?

Maybe this is the Hiigs way of killing off their stagnating officer pool. That S'jet lady has been in charge for what seems like centuries.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

General Battuta posted:

I am glad enough people at Gearbox disagreed with you to work on a free update for a year :v:

Oh don't get me wrong I'm glad they fixed all those problems, I just thought it was really fun and good despite them.

Also the OG banana boat looks way better than the new one. That missing chunk for the sensors at the top makes it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I grew up on HW2 so the HW1 banana looks weird to me. Like it had some sort of necrotizing disease and had to have part of its front surgically removed.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

Also the OG banana boat looks way better than the new one. That missing chunk for the sensors at the top makes it.

Agreed. I love a lot of the HW2 designs - they've got this theme of militarizing and perfecting HW1 motifs, making them more symmetrical and sleek - but while they're pretty cool, they lose a lot of the personality, right? HW1's ships look more like they were cobbled together on the fly by a bunch of refugees.

I've always thought that was part of why HW2's narrative just didn't quite have the same magic. It was hard to get attached to your ships when they were all flimsy, ultra-professional warships instead of traumatized explorers in improvised vengeance machines. It's hard to imagine any of the grunts in HW2 really understanding what the gently caress is happening or caring about the Prophecy of the Three Cores.

e: the Vaygr ships totally own though, I love all those designs

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

I know it'll never happen, but I'd love for Gearbox to add the two most popular race additions officially for MP; Turanic Raiders and Kadeshi.

Or the Beast. I want to see the Beast again. I'll just have to wait until the mod tools are updated for 2.0 so everyone can fix their mods. :(

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Oh also the Somtaaw. I want to see them again too.

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013

Allen_Aldo posted:

And while I agreed, the Vayger Destroyer is really neat and unique, I am pretty fond of Hiigaran Battlecruiser. From certain angles it does look pretty much like a slate, but it has some interesting angles towards the rear. It's certainly a ship that has good and bad angles.

Yeah, I actually really like the design of that ship, and if I were to criticize it at all I'd say that it feels like it needs more guns. This is actually a problem I had with the high end units in Deserts of Kharak too, so I don't know if there's just a designer over there who has a fetish for big vehicles with tiny guns or what. Very ready for a new Complex mod to fix that.

DatonKallandor posted:

HW1 ships are also designed to be believable as a realistic chassis progression for someone getting new tech and having to put it into practice extremely rapidly. Almost all the ships of each type are clearly based on a single chassis with various weapons and upgrades bolted on (especially visible in the Kushan corvette line and Taiidan destroyer line).

Yeah, I was really impressed when I first noticed that as a kid and it's a sign of a great artist within this kind of context. People respond so positively, even subconsciously, to thinking like this and it feels like a decent part of what made Homeworld great.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Somtaaw ships are cooler than Hiigaran or Kushan ships :colbert:

They're tied with Vaygr though

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Nickiepoo posted:

Yeah, I actually really like the design of that ship, and if I were to criticize it at all I'd say that it feels like it needs more guns. This is actually a problem I had with the high end units in Deserts of Kharak too, so I don't know if there's just a designer over there who has a fetish for big vehicles with tiny guns or what. Very ready for a new Complex mod to fix that.

Yeah, I was really impressed when I first noticed that as a kid and it's a sign of a great artist within this kind of context. People respond so positively, even subconsciously, to thinking like this and it feels like a decent part of what made Homeworld great.

The Vaygr destroyer has another gun modelled/textured that isn't implemented - there's a cannon port (most likely candidate, single-shot version of the BCs trinity cannon) in the center of the V shape on the front.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Psycho Landlord posted:

Somtaaw ships are cooler than Hiigaran or Kushan ships :colbert:

They're tied with Vaygr though

I agree with all of this.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Somtaaw ships aren't garbage...but they deserve to be hauled away as garbage.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

General Battuta posted:

Somtaaw ships aren't garbage...but they deserve to be hauled away as garbage.

Shut up I will fight you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Maybe you better dock with another Somtaaw fan and turn into a potbellied thing with twice as many wrong opinions :smug:

I actually really like the Somtaaw frigates and workers

• Locked thread