Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

gay picnic defence posted:

It was an agribusiness graduate program at a bank, I got to the assessment center stage, which involved a group task and presentation. I'm guessing it has something to do with communication skills but I'm not 100% sure.

It definitely had to do with your performance in the group task and presentation. I asked because it's weird feedback to get unless you were in a group case interview or similar. You probably had good ideas but weren't able to get the group to support them, or to get the group to support positions/plans/tones etc that you favored. Does that seem like a potentially accurate reading of your interview performance?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Is there any harm in re-applying to a job you were turned down for? The position was re-posted. I made it to the end of the process and got a generic "we decided to go with a more qualified candidate."

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

It definitely had to do with your performance in the group task and presentation. I asked because it's weird feedback to get unless you were in a group case interview or similar. You probably had good ideas but weren't able to get the group to support them, or to get the group to support positions/plans/tones etc that you favored. Does that seem like a potentially accurate reading of your interview performance?

Sort of. It felt like I had difficulty getting a word in compared to the others rather than the things I said being ignored. The HR manager is going to give me a call back next week with some more detailed feedback and their consultants offered to provide feedback too which I'll post a summary of when I get it. I want to try and get a list of things to work on between now and next years graduate recruitment season so I'm interested to hear this thread's ideas on how I can improve in those areas.

liz
Nov 4, 2004

Stop listening to the static.
Is it ok to message the person you interviewed with on LinkedIn even if you didn't get the job? She said she was going to provide the HR lady with her email address so I could contact her after the interview (probably just a line now that I think about it) but the HR lady never followed up and gave it to me, so I had to write my thank you email to her instead. I know it doesn't matter since I wasn't offered the position, but I still wanted to thank her because it was actually a really good interview experience and also maybe to make a good contact if something opened up down the line?

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Rogue operating systems on occasion spread lies and rumors about me.

gay picnic defence posted:

Sort of. It felt like I had difficulty getting a word in...

Did you talk over people because that's also a big no no.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

liz posted:

Is it ok to message the person you interviewed with on LinkedIn even if you didn't get the job? She said she was going to provide the HR lady with her email address so I could contact her after the interview (probably just a line now that I think about it) but the HR lady never followed up and gave it to me, so I had to write my thank you email to her instead. I know it doesn't matter since I wasn't offered the position, but I still wanted to thank her because it was actually a really good interview experience and also maybe to make a good contact if something opened up down the line?

It's fine. Don't be a pest and they won't mind that you are being polite.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
so i'm still in school and have an interview tomorrow morning for an IT/tech support position. My cousin who I babysit for is the senior vice president and I applied through him yesterday, which explains the quick turnaround. I have some tech support experience, mostly in being the "computer girl" for the family, building computers, and also providing tech support for various mods I've written (which I actually put on my resume, because there's like half a million users).

The position is part time and fairly entry level as far as I can tell, so I'm 100% sure I'm over-stressing this, but I'm 20 and need a good job. The guy who phoned me already went over hours and said that he thinks I would be a great fit and wants to meet face to face for the interview tomorrow.

I really want the job, it's super close, I need the cash, the only problem is that I have very little idea I'd actually be doing while I'm there other than the nebulously described "tech support and setting peoples' computers up". My cover letter just said "IT/Tech support position"

Any advice for the interview for this sort of reasonably entry level stuff? I'm not even sure what the compensation will be other than 'hourly.'

I've also never actually had a formal interview before, all my other jobs have been for campaigns or doing research work, neither of which required an interview beforehand. Any basic interview tips/questions to ask that I'm not likely to find just by googling "interview tips/questions?"

Thanks bunches.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

The Iron Rose posted:

so i'm still in school and have an interview tomorrow morning for an IT/tech support position. My cousin who I babysit for is the senior vice president and I applied through him yesterday, which explains the quick turnaround. I have some tech support experience, mostly in being the "computer girl" for the family, building computers, and also providing tech support for various mods I've written (which I actually put on my resume, because there's like half a million users).

The position is part time and fairly entry level as far as I can tell, so I'm 100% sure I'm over-stressing this, but I'm 20 and need a good job. The guy who phoned me already went over hours and said that he thinks I would be a great fit and wants to meet face to face for the interview tomorrow.

I really want the job, it's super close, I need the cash, the only problem is that I have very little idea I'd actually be doing while I'm there other than the nebulously described "tech support and setting peoples' computers up". My cover letter just said "IT/Tech support position"

Any advice for the interview for this sort of reasonably entry level stuff? I'm not even sure what the compensation will be other than 'hourly.'

I've also never actually had a formal interview before, all my other jobs have been for campaigns or doing research work, neither of which required an interview beforehand. Any basic interview tips/questions to ask that I'm not likely to find just by googling "interview tips/questions?"

Thanks bunches.

If they don't outright say exactly what the position will be doing during the interview process, you'll have ample opportunity to ask for more specifics or details afterward. I'm not in IT but that's pretty universal. They may explicitly bring up compensation as well, but if they don't do not outright ask about it during the interview process as that's looked down on. They will tell you what you'll be making for sure at the time of an offer, and if they don't for some reason at that point it is fine to ask. You can attempt to negotiate then but I wouldn't expect any budging room for an entry-level part-time IT position.

All the tips in the OP are really good, just dress professionally, be personable and be sure to ask questions to show you're interested in the position. Though perfectly honestly, nepotism goes a long way, so if you're related to the senior VP you could probably poo poo on the hiring manager's desk and still get a smile, a handshake and an offer. (Please don't do that.)

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid
When HR asks you about your current\previous salary\benefits, does this affect the offer they're going to give you?

Should I be honest about my previous salary or say what I want to be making around in the new job?

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"

lol internet. posted:

When HR asks you about your current\previous salary\benefits, does this affect the offer they're going to give you?

Should I be honest about my previous salary or say what I want to be making around in the new job?

If it's not in the OP, it should be (I'm mobile or I'd check). Give Page 1 a full read, as it's full of most of what you want to know.

Don't discuss your existing salary, as it can only hurt you. You want to discuss expectations for your next salary.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Bluedeanie posted:

If they don't outright say exactly what the position will be doing during the interview process, you'll have ample opportunity to ask for more specifics or details afterward. I'm not in IT but that's pretty universal. They may explicitly bring up compensation as well, but if they don't do not outright ask about it during the interview process as that's looked down on. They will tell you what you'll be making for sure at the time of an offer, and if they don't for some reason at that point it is fine to ask. You can attempt to negotiate then but I wouldn't expect any budging room for an entry-level part-time IT position.

All the tips in the OP are really good, just dress professionally, be personable and be sure to ask questions to show you're interested in the position. Though perfectly honestly, nepotism goes a long way, so if you're related to the senior VP you could probably poo poo on the hiring manager's desk and still get a smile, a handshake and an offer. (Please don't do that.)

Thanks for the advice! I got the job, though you were right that nepotism goes a long way. Apparently I'm mostly going to be working on migrating an active directory, which I know nothing about. Still got the gig though!

Bitchkrieg
Mar 10, 2014

Can anyone give me tips on preparing for an interview for a web analytics position?

I got a call from a recruiter and want to be prepared.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Bitchkrieg posted:

Can anyone give me tips on preparing for an interview for a web analytics position?

I got a call from a recruiter and want to be prepared.
Read through Croll/Yoskovitz' Lean Analytics book. Understand how to define metrics that matter (and especially the OMTM) in terms of the business's goals. Know the difference between leading and lagging indicators and when you would use each. Understand cohort analysis and how to use it. Know how A/B testing is performed and how you would segment those test users in your preferred analytics platform. Depending on what exactly you're doing, if there's SQL or MapReduce involved, know those.

If you know anything about marketing, these are cake details.

insidius
Jul 21, 2009

What a guy!

Puppy Galaxy posted:

Is there any harm in re-applying to a job you were turned down for? The position was re-posted. I made it to the end of the process and got a generic "we decided to go with a more qualified candidate."

It would depend I think on how you feel you did during the process. Did you get any particular useful information out of the interview process as to how you actually did other than the generic response?

Generally as a part of my interviewing process if I have to reject an applicant/applicants that I felt were suitable due to someone simply being better suited I will actually make the offer to reinterview
in the future after "X period of time" etc.

I would really base it on how you feel you did though. If it is just a case of someone who was a better fit at the time but you feel you did well during the process you may well get picked up this time
around.

Slimchandi
May 13, 2005
That finger on your temple is the barrel of my raygun
Would appreciate a quick resume check, not sure if I will be applying to educational or technical posts yet, so this will be tweaked depending. My main concern is I don't have a lot of skills in specific software packages or languages, as most of it has been job-specific software.

I've tried to follow most of the rules in the OP. I'm concerned that the mix of sentences and bullets looks odd...

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

insidius posted:

It would depend I think on how you feel you did during the process. Did you get any particular useful information out of the interview process as to how you actually did other than the generic response?

Generally as a part of my interviewing process if I have to reject an applicant/applicants that I felt were suitable due to someone simply being better suited I will actually make the offer to reinterview
in the future after "X period of time" etc.

I would really base it on how you feel you did though. If it is just a case of someone who was a better fit at the time but you feel you did well during the process you may well get picked up this time
around.

Thanks for responding.

I didn't get any other useful info. I'm pretty sure I did poorly in one of the last interviews, but I did well on the others.

Obviously, knowing the process, I feel I could do much better this time around.

Complicating things is the fact that it's basically entry level and they are more or less always hiring for this position. So part of me feels that if they thought they might want to work with me in the future they might have said something to that effect.

Typing this all out and weighing your responses I think it's 50/50 whether or not they would consider me. I may try applying again and seeing what happens. The worst they can say is no.

insidius
Jul 21, 2009

What a guy!

Puppy Galaxy posted:

Typing this all out and weighing your responses I think it's 50/50 whether or not they would consider me. I may try applying again and seeing what happens. The worst they can say is no.

Exactly right and given as you stated it's an entry level position that is constantly being opened I see no point in not giving it another shot. Let us know how you do!

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

I was offered a job about 24 hours after an interview before I had a chance to thank members of the interview committee individually by e-mail. I intend to accept the job, but I also expect to spend the next week playing the "While I am excited about this opportunity, I am also in talks to accept a position that pays $X more" back-and-forth dance with HR.

So uh what should I do? I assume at least a "thank you for your time", but I feel that I should address my interest in the position without either pressuring them to pressure HR on my behalf or showing my hand that I'll probably accept the job even at its current offer.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
A question I didn't see really addressed in the OP: I have been not working for 5 years to raise my daughter to elementary school age. In the meantime I have done a few little odd jobs (onsite computer stuff) and I have completed a BS in Computer Science from a pretty good school (though I have moved 3 times in that period of time due to my wife becoming a doctor). How should I go about putting this information into a resume? I've always been very good at interviews so I'm not worried about what comes after they let me come in and talk to them, but I'm worried the work gap will keep me from getting to that point. My college resume writing help from 15 years ago isn't really relevant anymore.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

I have a BS in CSc, and I taught myself electronics. Additionally, I recently returned to school to take some EE classes (I am now considered a junior for the degree by my university, but that's mostly because I could transfer a bunch of credits from the other degree for math classes and generals). I had/have no intention of completing a degree, I just wanted to take the classes to learn more. How should I present this on my resume? I'm hesitant to put 'In progress' in the spot that I put the completion date for the other degree.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

I've been doing some research and apparently it's the "In" thing now to put your linkedin profile in your resume. Would it be better to put the full URL, or just a "linkedin" with an embedded hyperlink to the full URL?

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

vyst posted:

I've been doing some research and apparently it's the "In" thing now to put your linkedin profile in your resume. Would it be better to put the full URL, or just a "linkedin" with an embedded hyperlink to the full URL?

My header has my name then the line below has mobile #, email, and in/(linkedin username) - I feel like that should imply enough.

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"

vyst posted:

You can get vanity URLs. So do linkedin.com/vyst

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

ryanbruce posted:

You can get vanity URLs. So do linkedin.com/vyst

Thanks for this

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

Ariza posted:

A question I didn't see really addressed in the OP: I have been not working for 5 years to raise my daughter to elementary school age. In the meantime I have done a few little odd jobs (onsite computer stuff) and I have completed a BS in Computer Science from a pretty good school (though I have moved 3 times in that period of time due to my wife becoming a doctor). How should I go about putting this information into a resume? I've always been very good at interviews so I'm not worried about what comes after they let me come in and talk to them, but I'm worried the work gap will keep me from getting to that point. My college resume writing help from 15 years ago isn't really relevant anymore.

Just explain the work gap dates as a place of employment and in the cover letter. A more eloquent version of "Stay at home parent from x to y. Child now in school. Eager to continue my professional growth."

If you leave the dates blank recruiters will assume you're a horrible person and throw the resume out.

Han Yolo
Feb 14, 2012
So I was originally a temp at my current job and then they made me a permanent employee. I'm still doing the same things I was doing when I was a temp but they also gave me more responsibilities. My title as a temp is different than my current title. On my resume, should I just combined the two positions and use my current title or should I keep them separate? I went from "Temp Cash Receipts Clerk" to "Accounting Associate."

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Han Yolo posted:

So I was originally a temp at my current job and then they made me a permanent employee. I'm still doing the same things I was doing when I was a temp but they also gave me more responsibilities. My title as a temp is different than my current title. On my resume, should I just combined the two positions and use my current title or should I keep them separate? I went from "Temp Cash Receipts Clerk" to "Accounting Associate."
Depends how much space you have free. I'd probably combine the job descriptions, but put both titles above with dates corresponding to each, if that makes sense.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

I know that a cover letter is important, but a lot of the "online submission" sites don't have a place to put one. Should you package a cover letter by default as a "page 1" of your resume? I try to keep my resume at about 1 page because I've heard that it's more likely to be viewed if it's not too verbose.

Basically if a place only has a spot to upload a resume, should I put a cover letter as a page 1 of the resume, then the resume as a page 2?

air-
Sep 24, 2007

I only send a cover letter if explicitly asked. And to be honest, I tend to not even bother applying to places that emphasize submitting one.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

air- posted:

I only send a cover letter if explicitly asked. And to be honest, I tend to not even bother applying to places that emphasize submitting one.

Good call. I just found this - http://www.forbes.com/sites/lizryan/2016/02/04/cover-letters-are-dead-and-other-2016-recruiting-trends/#7b301a5d2d36

It's been a while since I've been on the job hunt.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

To add, I've had more than one occasion where I'm talking to an interviewer and it's so easy to tell when they've never seen my resume or anything. Remember that interviewing is a two way street and being on the lookout for these signs is still important.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I received an email to set up a 30 min phone call for a senior data analyst position with a major financial firm. It's with someone who went to my alma matter and is a senior person in the department, though not a manager according to his LinkedIn. They gave me a window of a few days next week; I went with the earliest, figuring sooner would be better.

Should I expect this to be behavioral or should I spend the weekend cramming like I'm about to have a PhD final in statistics?

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
I just had two separate people at a company reach out to me about different positions. I'm not sure if they know each other exist. What's the protocol for that?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Xandu posted:

I just had two separate people at a company reach out to me about different positions. I'm not sure if they know each other exist. What's the protocol for that?
Why should they care? Apply to either or both if they interest you. Let HR sort it out.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
Well I already applied and have interviews next week with both, just not sure if I should mention it during the interview or not.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Xandu posted:

Well I already applied and have interviews next week with both, just not sure if I should mention it during the interview or not.

I wouldn't. If they both really want you then use that to your advantage when negotiating

Big City Drinkin
Oct 9, 2007

A very good

Fallen Rib

Josh Lyman posted:

I received an email to set up a 30 min phone call for a senior data analyst position with a major financial firm. It's with someone who went to my alma matter and is a senior person in the department, though not a manager according to his LinkedIn. They gave me a window of a few days next week; I went with the earliest, figuring sooner would be better.

Should I expect this to be behavioral or should I spend the weekend cramming like I'm about to have a PhD final in statistics?

Stats/modeling was a big part of all the jobs I applied for, and really the only time my technical knowledge was put to the test at the phone interview stage was when the job was out of state - probably just them doing their due diligence before spending the money to fly me out. But they were always pretty softball questions like "why are you using this model in your dissertation?", etc. I think I also got asked what a confidence interval is. Sometimes you might be presented with particular cases and asked what you would do.

Iirc from the academia thread your background is in finance/accounting or something? Often times your domain knowledge is worth a lot more than your technical knowledge since the latter is easy to gain while the former isn't necessarily.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

FadingChord posted:

I was offered a job about 24 hours after an interview before I had a chance to thank members of the interview committee individually by e-mail. I intend to accept the job, but I also expect to spend the next week playing the "While I am excited about this opportunity, I am also in talks to accept a position that pays $X more" back-and-forth dance with HR.

So uh what should I do? I assume at least a "thank you for your time", but I feel that I should address my interest in the position without either pressuring them to pressure HR on my behalf or showing my hand that I'll probably accept the job even at its current offer.
I'm probably too late to help you, but we have a Negotiation Mega-Thread in this subforum.

peach moonshine
Jan 18, 2015
The link in this part of the OP lead to a malicious page which I had to ctrl-alt-delete to get out of.

Bisty Q. posted:

OMG they want to do a phone screen help omg i'm too excited to remember how to hit shift11111
A phone screen generally exists to make sure that you can communicate intelligibly in English and that you are not a complete idiot. Keep those things in mind and you will be fine. You may be asked some "situational-based" questions. These are easy to identify because they almost start with "Tell me about a time when...". These are trivial to answer if you remember to be a STAR. If you can't remember that gimmicky thing, just tell a complete story, from beginning to end, explaining what you needed to do, why you needed to do it, who was involved, what you specifically did (seriously, use "I" here - not "we", lots of hiring managers hate that because it makes it sound like the situation happened with you as a passive observer), and the outcome. Success or failure are okay, as long as you can show you learned from it and you had a good reason to fail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bitchkrieg
Mar 10, 2014

I had a great interview for a digital marketing position at a small local company. I anticipate an offer sometime late this week. I loved the company and it's exactly in the field I want to be in. I also have student loan payments, though, and money is a big deal at this point.

I'd be taking an 10% paycut - and there's really no benefits other than a pretty generous (14 day) PTO + paid holidays, and work-from-home opportunities.

Is it reasonable to negotiate job title -- say, from manager to director?

Or, to request an addition day of PTO/year (15 makes it 3 weeks off, total, which I can 100% live with)?

(Cross posted to negotiation thread)