Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.

GimmickMan posted:

Probably one of the most fun SRWs to see LPed, considering how messy it is and just how much plot there is to juggle. Good stuff, you guys.

So, for MX, Super or Real?

Garmraid all day, every day. The Cerberus is boring as hell (until 2nd OG made it rad).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
Well, they get different routes.

Garmreid gets really lovely music. Cerberus has the same lovely music, but Cerberus Ignite's theme is top tier.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Broken Loose posted:

Well, they get different routes.

Garmreid gets really lovely music. Cerberus has the same lovely music, but Cerberus Ignite's theme is top tier.

Garmraid's upgrade theme is cool, drat it (not as cool as Cerberus', sure, but still good)! :argh:

You'll all see, when we get there...

And I'm pretty sure they don't have different routes; the first two prologue missions change but then things join together for the rest of the game. I'll do them all for completion's sake but, once through, I'll stick with Garmraid's path.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
Does MX let you assign music to characters or machines? Because if so surely a new game plus run would let you have the best of both worlds.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

HiKaizer posted:

Does MX let you assign music to characters or machines? Because if so surely a new game plus run would let you have the best of both worlds.

Unfortunately, no. PS2 MX came before that was a feature (selecting various spirit commands at once isn't there either...).

I had considered doing the PSP version for it and the handful of extra missions but, honestly, the PS2 version is still the superior game.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!
My my, it's finished :golfclap:. Between Caphi, Dr Pepper, Brunom, and Seyser Koze, people have actually managed to forget the massive graveyard of SRW LP attempts that came before them, which is no small feat. Even the ones that finished were extremely condensed, so an LP such as this is a true masterwork, like a translation patch that's slightly less soul crushing to work on.

Two and a half years of incredibly work.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
A bit late on this but congratulations really are in order for the great work you guys did on this LP.

Good job, guys!

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
A translation patch would probably be less soul-crushing to work on, to be honest. Much of my time was spent isolating the right instants for screenshots and videos. Automating the actual clipping helped a lot (pretty sure you can't do that in Z because the portraits aren't boxes at absolute positions on screen!), but at least half the battle is getting to the right place at all, timing the capture, arranging events and dialogues ahead of time, god forbid it's one of those bosses who talks to every single character because you have to actually see them all because none of the scripts online include facial expressions or mid-events and even then you'll only get certain kinds of dialogue if you're lucky...

I'm not fishing for credit here, it's a labor of love, I'm just saying translating string-for-string sounds harder than summarizing but not if you factor in all the other stuff that goes into LP presentation.

What I'm really trying to say is congratulations to Brunom and Dr. Pepper, since this time around I just did some of the words.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Caphi posted:

A translation patch would probably be less soul-crushing to work on, to be honest. Much of my time was spent isolating the right instants for screenshots and videos. Automating the actual clipping helped a lot (pretty sure you can't do that in Z because the portraits aren't boxes at absolute positions on screen!), but at least half the battle is getting to the right place at all, timing the capture, arranging events and dialogues ahead of time, god forbid it's one of those bosses who talks to every single character because you have to actually see them all because none of the scripts online include facial expressions or mid-events and even then you'll only get certain kinds of dialogue if you're lucky...

I tried thinking of a way of automating the portraits but none stuck due to how we were cutting them at each character's outline. Most programs needed a specific sensitivity setting or they'd start cutting out pieces of dark hair, clothing or (worse) hidden faces.

So, at the end of it all, I check my portrait folder and see that I have personally cropped, added borders, resized and named 1467 different portraits! :toot:

There WAS a game-changer I discovered throughout all this, though: a Word addon that I managed to set up to mass find-replace and get everything (portraits, BGMs, images) in place in one go. That cut out a tremendous amount of manual labor... I'd rather not think of how troublesome it'd be to get the finale set up without that.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Brunom1 posted:

I tried thinking of a way of automating the portraits but none stuck due to how we were cutting them at each character's outline. Most programs needed a specific sensitivity setting or they'd start cutting out pieces of dark hair, clothing or (worse) hidden faces.

So, at the end of it all, I check my portrait folder and see that I have personally cropped, added borders, resized and named 1467 different portraits! :toot:

There WAS a game-changer I discovered throughout all this, though: a Word addon that I managed to set up to mass find-replace and get everything (portraits, BGMs, images) in place in one go. That cut out a tremendous amount of manual labor... I'd rather not think of how troublesome it'd be to get the finale set up without that.

What will you be doing with all those portraits, anyways? :v:

Oh, out of curiosity, did the Special Disk have any credits in it?

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
Congratulations on finally completing this! Thanks to you, I've gotten a delectable sampler of SRW's crossover goodness. I'd try and search out for more, but I'm too lazy to learn Japanese.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Booky posted:

What will you be doing with all those portraits, anyways? :v:

Oh, out of curiosity, did the Special Disk have any credits in it?

It did, though it was only a static credit sequence so I skipped (figured it'd be the same as the first game).

And I'll be keeping the portraits around as a memento. If anyone wants to grab them for whatever, I've uploaded the excel spreadsheet I used for the find/replace thing over here. Has pretty much every important character and then some, so long as they appeared in Rand's side and/or in the missions I posted.

Edit: Any pictures missing up there, you can find the raws here (vt1 link). This page regularly rips stuff out from SRWs, going from the start of the PS2 era until recent games.

Brunom1 fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jul 9, 2016

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Congratulations on finishing! It's been one hell of an adventure, and it's impressive that you guys were able to stay the course and get through all this!

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense
All good things must come to an end.

Thank you for the LP!

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
So long and thanks for all the fish.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Caphi posted:

A translation patch would probably be less soul-crushing to work on, to be honest.

I don't disagree with you, but SRW translation patches are pretty drat soul crushing.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Blaze Dragon posted:

Great job on the whole LP! Z is very long, and very good, but it can also get rather tedious and I can only imagine it being even moreso with the whole LP ordeal added to it, but you did it! You fully did it!

Honestly, I have to say that while there were tedious parts, they were all in the Let's Play Making part of this project. Playing Super Robot Wars Z was a blast from start to end.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

General Revil posted:

I don't disagree with you, but SRW translation patches are pretty drat soul crushing.

What the actual gently caress.

Sordas Volantyr
Jan 11, 2015

Now, everybody, walk like a Jekhar.

(God, these running animations are terrible.)

General Revil posted:

What am I even looking at?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Sordas Volantyr posted:

Romhack, I think. Writing hex-code into memory addresses.

...I think.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

Sordas Volantyr posted:

Onmi posted:

Tiny part of the decompression subroutine.png :v:

I'm not a code monkey, but I think that's a part of the program that changes the text, and the giant mass of arrows is probably just a visualization of the code that let's someone see the whole thing run piece by piece until every value that's meant to be read has been.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sordas Volantyr posted:

Onmi posted:

A tiny part of the decompression subroutine for SRW GC. Making sense of this has been a nightmare. And unfortunately, we need to crack this if we don't want to be stuck dealing with some really nasty memory hacks.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

General Revil posted:

A tiny part of the decompression subroutine for SRW GC. Making sense of this has been a nightmare. And unfortunately, we need to crack this if we don't want to be stuck dealing with some really nasty memory hacks.

That image looks like its mapping the inner workings of a new nuclear missile guidance chip.

I can't help but wonder/dread what a game like Alpha would look like... The thing never had a chance, huh?

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Brunom1 posted:

That image looks like its mapping the inner workings of a new nuclear missile guidance chip.

I can't help but wonder/dread what a game like Alpha would look like... The thing never had a chance, huh?

Gideon did manage to translate @G. I'm pretty sure it uses the same engine as @. Then again, @ is stuck at 65% forever, so who knows.

Wounded Land
Nov 27, 2007
Living in a greenhouse, growing crops that we can't eat...
Alpha is at least twice as long as AG, maybe closer to thrice, so you can see how it might be an insane amount of work.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Wounded Land posted:

Alpha is at least twice as long as AG, maybe closer to thrice, so you can see how it might be an insane amount of work.

Yes, from what I understand, the engine is the same. Once one is hacked, the other is hacked as well. It's just a matter of translation, and I know full well what a daunting task that is.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
Major congrats on finishing this, think I mentioned before, but the guy who does all-text versions of this on GameFAQs is just awful (he likes to insert atrociously unfunny jokes everywhere, and is too lazy to so much as check Wikipedia for official Romanizations of names, making it a massive pain to figure out who the gently caress he's even talking about sometimes, he even Romanizes some names completely differently from one game to another, not to mention plain reading kanji incorrectly). So, these LPs provide a vital service in making his material obsolete. It's too bad I missed the voting, because while I love G Gundam (the clear winner), I was going to make a case for one of Machine Robo, Dendoh, or RahXephon, since they don't have a lot of appearances in SRW (I went with RahXephon when I played, mainly because, as was said, MX is the only time it's shown up). That said, G Gundam is central to one of the primary odd decisions made in MX that I mentioned a few pages back, so it's not like a boring option or anything the way ZZ Gundam would have been.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
man vote dendoh you still got time

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Brunom1 posted:

Garmraid all day, every day. The Cerberus is boring as hell (until 2nd OG made it rad).

Funny, that. I'm playing OG2nd now and I keep thinking the Cerberus isn't half as cool as it was in MX. :v:

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Great work on the LP. Finally getting to see Setsuko's side of the deal thanks to you two!

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Here we go folks:

Answer me, Shinji! The School of Super Robot Wars MX!

I've already requested that this be archived, so I'll be locking it soon enough.

See you on the other side!

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

And here's the LP archived! :toot:

This thread will be closing tomorrow.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
It's been wild, y'all, Dr. Pepper, Brunom, everybody in the audience. Go forth and be happy, and always remember how SRWZ taught us not to believe everything we read on the internet.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

This LP has been everything I wanted from a SRW LP.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

It's finally over.

This insane ride. Two whole years, a lot of crazy stuff in my life has happened in two years. Hard to believe it's over. Lots of exciting moments, didn't get to do everything I wanted but that's fine.

I have no idea what I'm going to do next, if anything, for an LP. I guess I'll keep reading Brunom's LPs and have fun.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
Many things have changed for me over the last couple years, but this LP has been a shining point of positivity and inspiration in the midst of all the muck of death and presidential campaigns.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Thanks for all your hard work, guys!

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

This LP was really something great. Congrats and thanks for all the work you did! :toot:

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Oh poo poo, gotta think of something clever to say before the thread closes

G-great job guys, you're real, uh, Let's Playin Machines :iamafag:

gently caress!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Once again, congrats on making it through all of Z1.

• Locked thread