Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

kri kri posted:

Looks like Plex is killing a bunch of stuff like plugins, might get me to read the official forums for the first time in forever to witness the meltdown.

Awwww the Comedy Central one just gave away all their full episodes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
https://www.plex.tv/blog/subtitles-and-sunsets-big-improvements-little-housekeeping/

https://forums.plex.tv/t/discontinuation-of-plugins-watch-later-recommended-and-cloud-sync/312312

These are the links, for those like me who became morbidly curious to see some foaming at the mouth.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

kri kri posted:

Looks like Plex is killing a bunch of stuff like plugins, might get me to read the official forums for the first time in forever to witness the meltdown.

You can still install plugins manually (for now). They're just ghosting the plugin directory.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Plugins always felt incredibly half arsed compared to Kodi, so it's not a massive surprise. I have 2 I use on it, one of which is trakt which just runs in the background.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I hope their "different approach to plugins" could get us something like letting my Vudu purchases be in my movie library

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

teagone posted:

You can still install plugins manually (for now). They're just ghosting the plugin directory.

Yeah just can’t imagine they are long for this world

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

The only plugin I used was SubZero which sounds like they are giving us a different way to get subtitles anyway.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

WhyteRyce posted:

The only plugin I used was SubZero which sounds like they are giving us a different way to get subtitles anyway.

If it lets me set subs based on series then let it burn to the ground so I can have it.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Yeah, they’re getting rid of plugins, watch later, and cloud sync (in addition to the previously announced death of Plex Cloud).

Luckily, it sounds like Plugins will still work, there just won’t be a directory or builtin installation mechanism and stuff will either move to the unofficial app store or we’ll just have to install the .bundle manually. So hopefully SubZero and Plex Requests will keep working and continue to be maintained.

It also sounds like they’re trying to replicate the SubZero functionality within the official software, so we’ll see how that goes.

As someone who actually uses Plugins, Watch Later, and Plex Cloud but has no need for the DVR stuff or half-baked podcast functionality they’ve been focusing on lately, this is a bit of a slap in the face. If the stats they gave about only 3% of users using any of the retiring features are true, I get why they’re doing it, I guess. But it’s still annoying.

Official blog post here

e: oh hey there was another page where a lot of this was already covered

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I would just like to be able to pull up a list of files that aren't being matched.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Anyone know how to fix trakt plugin giving this error "[Exception] __str__ returned non-string (type NoneType)" when I try to do a Pull or Quick Pull.

Tried reinstalling the plugin.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

TheScott2K posted:

I hope their "different approach to plugins" could get us something like letting my Vudu purchases be in my movie library

That's about as likely as either of us landing on the moon.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Ixian posted:

That's about as likely as either of us landing on the moon.

So was them building a DVR into the thing but here we are

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

TheScott2K posted:

So was them building a DVR into the thing but here we are

Not to nitpick but I think that was inevitable as home brewed DVR solutions were a thing for years before they created theirs, and also completely different from "Vudu integration" since they didn't need anyone else's permission to create the DVR/get OTA content.

Vudu (or Movies Anywhere, which would be better) depends on Plex either:

A) Creating their own, certified player client. That is technically possible and practically impossible. Vudu (backed by Walmart) isn't going to let them create a "Vudu client" for Plex and the Movies Anywhere consortium run by Disney is even less likely to back one.

I mean sure, it could happen. Just like me landing on the moon could happen, I mean, it's just right up there.

B) Acting as some sort of metadata passthrough agent, where the movies show up in your library but actually launch the official client for playback. This would require 1) Being able to access the movie metadata from the service (this might actually be possible with MA, though not sure how open their API is) and 2) Being able to launch a separate client (like Vudu) directly in to a movie which AFAIK isn't possible.

Also possible, just like it's possible I could orbit the earth in case the moon was too far out of reach.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I mean, alright. But maybe they'll find a way.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug
No doubt it'd be interesting if they could succeed in ways Boxee tried, and ultimately failed, in doing years ago. It'd be cool to have everything like that in one UI.

Considering, though, how Vudu and others are far less interested in providing simple access to movies and tv you've bought and way, way more invested in presenting you views of all the movies and tv you haven't bought yet, and I think it highly unlikely they'll cede their captive portal to an all in one.

You could argue Movies Anywhere does do that, except that is a collaboration among a few captive portals owned by media giants figuring, better work together than apart. Not that I think Movies Anywhere is terrible; for what it is it is pretty decent. However it isn't a party Plex is getting invited to.

Also, this is Plex, so "new approach to addons" probably means "Podcasts 2.0" or some other scheme. Homebrew media just gets people in the door for them and I am sure they are trying to keep a wide a berth as possible from what has happened to Kodi with all the pirate streaming addons, etc.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I mean, alright. But maybe they'll find a way.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Internet Explorer posted:

I would just like to be able to pull up a list of files that aren't being matched.

Along this same line, it’d be nice to pull up a list of files paths matched to Plex(pathes on the left, official name on the right). Think of the way Radarr does when you import movies, so you can change an incorrect TMDB ID Incase Plex scans it incorrectly.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Twice now I've had some subset of existing files that have been on my NAS for months or years suddenly show up as Recently Added. I can't think of anything I would've done to trigger it; the files weren't moved around on disk, the mtime on the files hasn't changed, new subtitle files weren't added to the affected folders, or anything else that I can think of but if I look at the XML for the affected files, it shows the "addedAt" value as 4-5 hours ago on about a dozen movies and about 2 dozen TV seasons' files. It also seems to have lost all metadata for the affected files and the media agents had to repopulate them (but did so correctly).

I had this happen before with a much smaller set of files, just a couple movies IIRC. I connected to the sqllite db and manually set the addedAt time (which was like 1000 years in the future) on the affected files to match the updatedAt value but that won't work for these files since the addedAt and updatedAt times are both earlier today. I'd really like to know what's causing this and what I can do to prevent it in the future.If there's an easier way to fix it than directly editing the DB, that'd be good to know too.

I don't think it matters but: I'm hosting newest PMS version on MacOS, with my Synology NAS mounted as a volume on the Mac. AFAIK the NAS didn't disconnect/reconnect recently (and that's never been a problem in the past anyway) and none of the affected media is stuff that's been watched recently, according to tautulli.

Edit: I just double checked and I was way off on the number of affected files. 80% of the stuff in my Movies library and about 90% of my Shows library have an updatedAt value within the last six hours. It would almost make some kind of sense if 100% of the library went missing and got re-added but the fact that a handful of shows in the same library/directory on disk weren't affected seems really weird. Also, it kept all of my watched/unwatched data.

Lawen fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Sep 30, 2018

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Is there any reason Plex would start barfing on audio transcode to XBox One? I've got a standard h264 / DTS 5.1 rip, all from the same group, but multiple restarts and updates aren't helping. Server says I'm throttled when my CPU can do this in its sleep. The previous season and even episode in the same season played without issues. I grabbed a new rip with double the video quality and the same audio transcoding occurs (DCA to AAC) and the same constant buffering. CPU usage is near zero.

This product has been seriously going downhill ever since it stopped supressing XBox notifications.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Oct 6, 2018

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Shumagorath posted:

Server says I'm throttled when my CPU can do this in its sleep.

I might be wrong as it’s been a while since I’ve had to look into this, but isn’t Throttled their terminology for ‘the server has exceeded transcoding the amount of buffer you need so it’s going to chill for a while until it’s needed again’.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

That's exactly right, "throttling" is a good thing, it means your hardware is so powerful it exceeds the transcoding need of a given stream.

The buffering/interruption issue is something separate. It could be client-side (I have zero experience with the Xbox consoles as Plex clients so I can't offer any more detailed advice) or network related. Are your server and client both wired? Worst-case scenario would be them both being wireless (to the same AP, no less.)

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Shumagorath posted:

Is there any reason Plex would start barfing on audio transcode to XBox One? I've got a standard h264 / DTS 5.1 rip, all from the same group, but multiple restarts and updates aren't helping. Server says I'm throttled when my CPU can do this in its sleep. The previous season and even episode in the same season played without issues. I grabbed a new rip with double the video quality and the same audio transcoding occurs (DCA to AAC) and the same constant buffering. CPU usage is near zero.

This product has been seriously going downhill ever since it stopped supressing XBox notifications.

Your issue is definitely client side. Try another encode of the same episode. Could just be the audio stream on whatever files you grabbed are botched maybe? Are all your devices hardwired? As an aside, XBOX doesn't support DTS audio, so any media with DTS tracks you play from Plex on your XBOX will always need a transcoded audio file from your server.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
My XBox isn't hardwired and the wifi in here is kinda congested with multiple 2.4 and 5GHz networks. I'll look into splicing more Cat5e today.

derk
Sep 24, 2004

Shumagorath posted:

My XBox isn't hardwired and the wifi in here is kinda congested with multiple 2.4 and 5GHz networks. I'll look into splicing more Cat5e today.

gently caress WIRELESS

Fake gamers use wireless

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Yep, finally had enough and crawled under my house to run two lengths of Cat6. Only problem now is that it's led to me looking at patch panels and poo poo online so I can do all this properly.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Shumagorath posted:

Ding ding ding ding ding! If you're already aware that there's a lot of wireless interference around you (which is the same in my situation) that strongly suggests the cause of your streaming issue. You could temporarily troubleshoot this however to confirm that it's the problem by relocating the Xbox to anywhere it can be connected via Ethernet to the server, which would pretty quickly tell you if this will be the solution or not.

odiv posted:

Yep, finally had enough and crawled under my house to run two lengths of Cat6. Only problem now is that it's led to me looking at patch panels and poo poo online so I can do all this properly.

Hey that's not a problem, that's the solution! :v:

derk
Sep 24, 2004

odiv posted:

atta boy! put your big boy pants on and hardwire that poo poo! I hardwire absolutely EVERYTHING that has an ethernet port.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I plan to hardwire my two main rooms together, but have been surprisingly impressed that my server which runs on 5ghz, and not even ac band, doesn’t seem to have an issue streaming remuxed UHD discs to my Apple TV in the other room without buffering.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Shumagorath posted:

Shumagorath posted:

lol

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Netflix works perfectly every time so Plex barfing on half the rips in a full season is just bizarre.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Netflix streaming is much more optimized than Plex is and handles automatically changing bitrate based off network quality much better. You're comparing the biggest streaming giant against a product you get for free.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

odiv posted:

Welcome to my world with a server box in the garage with a 24 port gigabit switch hooked up to a patch panel and cat 6 in every room literally just for Plex and gaming

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Shumagorath posted:

Netflix works perfectly every time so Plex barfing on half the rips in a full season is just bizarre.

Netflix HD video bitrate is likely a lot lower than the encodes you download/rip, and are optimized for streaming. Netflix maxes out at ~6Mbps bitrate on 1080p new releases https://medium.com/netflix-techblog/per-title-encode-optimization-7e99442b62a2

derk
Sep 24, 2004

teagone posted:

Netflix HD video bitrate is likely a lot lower than the encodes you download/rip, and are optimized for streaming. Netflix maxes out at ~6Mbps bitrate on 1080p new releases https://medium.com/netflix-techblog/per-title-encode-optimization-7e99442b62a2

exactly

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

teagone posted:

Can confirm. one my of old houses only had 5MB DSL and I could stream Breaking Bad in 1080p but I had to pause all my downloaders but it worked.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Hmm... the latest server update seems to have finally allowed hardware transcoding to work on my old Core i3-3450 Plex server. Prior to this last update, checking the hardware transcoding box did nothing. Now it actually shows "(hw)" next to the now playing status if a stream is transcoding.

Before transcoding a h.265 video to h.264 for a older Roku client caused 80% CPU usage. Now it sits around 40% for about 30 seconds or so then drops and stays around 6%.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Looking at reducing my power usage by getting a NAS and using my Nvidia shield as a PMS. All of my devices that I would use don't need any transcoding so the shield would be able to transcode for the odd device if need be. My library is currently sitting at 1.7TB used with the majority of everything being 720p. So I imagine I could with a 2 or 3 drive NAS and be fine for a while. Might also use it as a backup for important documents from my main PC. So, any recommendations on a 2/3 drive NAS with generally easy user setup?

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
ymmv but i had nothing but problems when using shield as a plex server. it would lose the connection to the plex server regularly despite the server running on the device i was using to watch the content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

SlayVus posted:

Looking at reducing my power usage by getting a NAS and using my Nvidia shield as a PMS. All of my devices that I would use don't need any transcoding so the shield would be able to transcode for the odd device if need be. My library is currently sitting at 1.7TB used with the majority of everything being 720p. So I imagine I could with a 2 or 3 drive NAS and be fine for a while. Might also use it as a backup for important documents from my main PC. So, any recommendations on a 2/3 drive NAS with generally easy user setup?

WD My Cloud Pro PR2100 or PR4100; 2 or 4 bays, respectively, with a 48 or 90 W PSU (dual-PSU capable,) respectively. I just got one of the latter myself, and while I'm still exploring it, it looks like it'll be pretty fantastic for PMS; it should be able to hardware transcode (QuickSync) 3-4 FHD streams simultaneously.

The only main issue with the Shield was that it couldn't deal with large directories, i.e. individual folders with around 100 files or more, which is pretty ridiculous; as a result it just wouldn't "see" files beyond a certain point so it would look like some of your content was just missing. I'm not sure if that's still an issue but I'd hope they've fixed it by now!!!