Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

lilljonas posted:

Brazil (Scolari) fielded a team with weak and critizised players on several positions and expected to win the World Cup because they are Brazil, and play in Brazil. Because Brazil. They came this far through less than stellar games, partly by bullying other teams (with the help of referees) and by luck. It was obvious that the team was far from stable but they hobbled along, with complete denial, hoping that being Brazil would be enough to win the Cup.

But like Icarus, this mess of less than spectacular players cobbled together with wax and dreams, flew too close to Germany. Winning against Colombia through foul play finally paid back, as their only decent players were out. Their hopes and dreams melted as they were slaughtered in what is likely the biggest football massacre in the lifetime for most of us. It was a mix of delicious karma and the punishment of hubris, delivered by a never ending Teutonic whirlwind.

It was art.

Good explanation. Brilliantly written.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Don't forget that Brazil's defense collapsed mostly because Thiago Silva missed the match after getting a yellow card for needlessly interfering with the Colombian goalie's kick the previous game. Brazil valiantly attempted to appeal the yellow card on the grounds of ...mumble something something mumble... but were denied.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
In retrospect it's easy to say Silva is a huge rear end in a top hat and he should be stripped of his captaincy for being so irresponsible as to let David Luiz lead the defensive line against Germany but really it's not like he could have foreseen how catastrophic his absence would prove to be.

And I believe that Brazil still would have lost even if he had played but it would have never come to this kind of smashing as he's an actual leader and would have ripped Luiz and Marcelo a new one if he was on the pitch after the first two goals.

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

emanresu tnuocca posted:

In retrospect it's easy to say Silva is a huge rear end in a top hat and he should be stripped of his captaincy for being so irresponsible as to let David Luiz lead the defensive line against Germany but really it's not like he could have foreseen how catastrophic his absence would prove to be.

And I believe that Brazil still would have lost even if he had played but it would have never come to this kind of smashing as he's an actual leader and would have ripped Luiz and Marcelo a new one if he was on the pitch after the first two goals.

Also he's a cool dude

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
*Feels bad for brazilian fans
*Looks at the 5 stars ontop of their crest

Ah gently caress them.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Given the quality of their squad Brazil have done well to get as far as they did tbh

And by done well I obviously mean paid well

hhhmmm
Jan 1, 2006
...?

dex_sda posted:

What did Fred do to earn the ire of brazilians, btw?

I mean besides being a garbageman, but that can't be it, cause there were 9 more garbagemen on the pitch

Brazil has been kinda cruel to the team. Maybe Fred isn't the best striker in the world, but the other 199.999.999 brazilians were worse and at least Fred stepped up and tried. It's not Fred's fault that every other Brazilian striker is even worse than he is, so why the gently caress give him poo poo for being selected to the national team.

I've been hoping for Brazil to get the gently caress out of the tournament for a while.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

FiftySeven posted:

Haha, please tell me this is true :)

It really is true.

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe

I totally missed the german guy in the back there.

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

elwood posted:

I totally missed the german guy in the back there.

Oh man, that's what made the gif so amazing in the first place, I thought! After all that crying, you see the pasty German dude going out of his mind back there... so good.

Noahdraron
Jun 1, 2011

God Loves Ugly

Alright which one of you is secretly a Malaysian MP?

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

hhhmmm posted:

Brazil has been kinda cruel to the team. Maybe Fred isn't the best striker in the world, but the other 199.999.999 brazilians were worse and at least Fred stepped up and tried. It's not Fred's fault that every other Brazilian striker is even worse than he is, so why the gently caress give him poo poo for being selected to the national team.

I've been hoping for Brazil to get the gently caress out of the tournament for a while.

Yeah this, they were also pinning the blame of losing 7-1 on him too, bunch of idiots.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

Palpek posted:

Brazil didn't play that well during the World Cup and kept getting gifts from refs in their favor, got lucky with other teams' disposition, they're also the organizers, favorites, they had overwhelming crowd support etc. This match finally brought the veil of bullshit down uncovering a crying child in an oversized yellow-green outfit.

drat well put

Earthy Ape Unit
Jun 17, 2014

by XyloJW

The DFB released a statement saying posted:

The number of 7 goals is exaggerated.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

Agrajag posted:

he really really really wanted that penalty kick but the ref just would not cooperate.

Honestly that ref judged the game extremely well. He could have easily given a PK there and no action would of come to him I bet.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Better repost that pic so we can see.

Edit: agree, cones are indeed better than Fred.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Healbot posted:

Better repost that pic so we can see.

Edit: agree, cones are indeed better than Fred.

I've been having problems with image attachments for some reason.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Attachments are broken forums wide.

Earthy Ape Unit
Jun 17, 2014

by XyloJW

DFB posted:

A few of those goals could not be real. The shadows that the ball cast on the goalpost were clearly manipulated in the photos.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Painkiller
Jan 30, 2005

You think the truth will set you free...

lilljonas posted:

Brazil (Scolari) fielded a team with weak and critizised players on several positions and expected to win the World Cup because they are Brazil, and play in Brazil. Because Brazil. They came this far through less than stellar games, partly by bullying other teams (with the help of referees) and by luck. It was obvious that the team was far from stable but they hobbled along, with complete denial, hoping that being Brazil would be enough to win the Cup.

But like Icarus, this mess of less than spectacular players cobbled together with wax and dreams, flew too close to Germany. Winning against Colombia through foul play finally paid back, as their only decent players were out. Their hopes and dreams melted as they were slaughtered in what is likely the biggest football massacre in the lifetime for most of us. It was a mix of delicious karma and the punishment of hubris, delivered by a never ending Teutonic whirlwind.

It was art.

Yeah this. It's crazy that you look at the Brazil squad and they only have 5 players from the previous World Cup, and of those only Caesar, Maicon and Alves were starters (Silva didn't even get off the bench). After 2010 and the 2011 Copa America, Brazil lost so many experienced players and the leftovers only had the Olympics and the Confederations Cup to really test themselves in. Beating Spain was probably the worst thing that happened to them as it massively inflated their expectations.

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Earthy Ape Unit
Jun 17, 2014

by XyloJW

DFB posted:

The alleged seven (7) goals and the alleged drubbing of the Brazilians form one and the same historical lie, which permitted a gigantic financial swindle whose chief beneficiaries have been the organization of FIFA and international football, and whose main victims have been the German people as a whole."

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
I wonder if Germany will win their first world cup

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
kid's gonna be rich :homebrew:

here's some more reax from brazil. not in the stadium but a favela. it starts with the 1950s loss to uruguay:

quote:

Once, people knew Barbosa as maybe the best goalkeeper in the world, a rock at the back of the Brazilian defense. His life changed on July 16, 1950, the day of the World Cup final versus Uruguay. Brazil, emerging from World War II with a hopeful, powerhouse economy, hosted the tournament. Heavy favorites, they breezed through to the final, in the newly built Maracana Stadium, holding 200,000 fans, a bullring of noise. With about 10 minutes to go, the game tied 1-1, a Uruguayan player let a shot fly toward the goal. Barbosa expected a cross and got tangled and helplessly watched the ball hit the net.

Brazil lost.

Forty-nine years later, Barbosa died broke and broken, considered bad luck and never allowed to even attend a national team practice. For him, the worst moment wasn't the whispers, or even walking off the field when the whistle blew. According to his melancholy obituary, 20 years after the goal, he walked into a store or a bar. A woman there pointed at Barbosa, and then told her son: "He is the man that made all of Brazil cry."
holy poo poo

quote:

Favelas are cauldrons of noise, night and day, but in Rocinha on Tuesday night, as people realized a loss was becoming the worst day in the history of Brazilian soccer, the streets went quiet. Nobody screamed. The only sound came from televisions and from the crackle of water on pavement and the rush of water through drains. People crowded around the outdoor, storefront bars, together but alone, a thousand private hells. Bar do Moacir was closed, locked up tight, but a man at the bar next door shook his head and grumbled, "Cinqo-zero."

Up an alley to the right, Marcilio Severo worked at a tiny café he built himself. He's 71, and standing behind the green plywood bar, and the turquoise concrete walls, he looked out into the rain.

"I don't understand what happened," he said.

The customers watched on his small Panasonic TV. This was the worst game he has ever seen, Marcilio said, wondering if someone paid off the Brazilian team. His anger flared for a moment when it was suggested that Neymar not playing affected the game.

"No!" he said. "The whole team isn't playing!"

Otherwise he wasn't mad, just sort of hollow, disgusted and resigned. Germany scored another goal: 6-0, then another, 7-0. The television showed Brazil keeper Julio Cesar's face, looking up at the sky for help that was not coming, not in this lifetime, and if his complicated emotional state could be rendered into a word, that word would be "Barbosa."

"Too many people suffering because of the goalkeeper," Marcilio said.

Marcilio collapsed on his wooden stool, his arm resting on a beer crate, thinking back to when he was a child. It's clear in his mind. He was 7. His family went to a local ballroom to listen to the World Cup final on the radio. Televised sports in Brazil did not yet exist. They all followed the match, writing down notes and commentary. When it ended, everyone cried, even the adults. He can still picture it, and 64 years later, he keeps those notes about the game in a drawer at home, a reminder of the worst he's ever felt about the national team until tonight.

[...]

The mood in the alleys started to turn, with locals accusing me and my translator of being cops, grabbing my notebook. Some young punks poured cheap wine and smoked a cigarette to the nub, using it to light another. "We are full of hate!" one of them named Pedro said. "We are gonna go down to Leblon and break everything!"

We got on a city bus and headed back to the asphalt neighborhoods below. At every stop, the sound of the broadcast flooded the silent bus. People shrugged when we made eye contact. On our bus, a young woman said: "I was in Copacabana and people were getting violent so I came back."

On the beach, a fight broke out.

Someone fired a gun.

A group of German fans, one wearing a jersey and the other two with scarves, got on the subway and 50 or 60 favela kids surrounded them, the main pack of a dozen aggressors standing around them, flexing, looking for a fight. Some Brazilian girls with the Germans defused the looming confrontation, and by the end, the kids wanted to pose for pictures with the victorious fans.

"We just made it out," Peter Mesenich said. "At 7-1, they turned on their team. At 2-1, they would have turned on us."

http://www.espnfc.com/blog/wright-thompson/94/post/1940906/wright-thompson----scenes-of-defeat-on-the-streets-of-brazil
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlcUwUwjLrs

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

Sad grandpa owns

Also:

Earthy Ape Unit
Jun 17, 2014

by XyloJW

Drogadon posted:

Sad grandpa owns

Cross post from the img thread, sad grandpa can get hosed.

This guy is a state-subsidized gaucho who has been to every world cup since Italia 90 and has personally seen brazil take two. Also he didn't give the trophy to that hot German babe, he just took a photo with her and let her hold the trophy for a bit.

http://deadspin.com/meet-the-saddest-man-in-brazil-1602350870

[img]a big ol' gaucho prick inciting violence[img]

quote:

And like any highly visible superfan, his support isn't as grassroots as it used to be. It was revealed that in 2009 his trip to the Confed Cup in South Africa was paid for by the state government of Rio Grande do Sul, to the tune of nearly 15,000 Brazilian reais (more than $6,000 USD). He was sent, he said, "to promote gaścho culture." His 2010 World Cup trip was paid for in part by a sponsorship with a travel agency. It's not clear if he paid for his attendance at this World Cup out of his own pocket, but told an interviewer he "always travels with partnerships."

He's also a big Germany fan, which is cool and good I guess, if he was actually German (hell, he might be).

quote:

"I really like Germany," he said. "The formation of the gaścho has a lot to do with the culture of the German people, I mean, I feel a little German."

I am sure he's feeling quite a bit of German inside of him after that dry bumming.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Noahdraron posted:

Alright which one of you is secretly a Malaysian MP?

gently caress you i was going to make this exact same joke

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Omi-Polari posted:

kid's gonna be rich :homebrew:

here's some more reax from brazil. not in the stadium but a favela. it starts with the 1950s loss to uruguay:

holy poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlcUwUwjLrs

I love battlestar music so goddamn much

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

Earthy Ape Unit posted:

Cross post from the img thread, sad grandpa can get hosed.

Ah gently caress him then

Earthy Ape Unit
Jun 17, 2014

by XyloJW

Drogadon posted:

Ah gently caress him then

Agreed, op

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
I think Brazil should think about never hosting a World Cup ever again because every time they do it's a tragedy for them.

DonJNavarro
Aug 16, 2000
I am so smart!....S-M-R-T!

:dukedog:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIw8iT6D29U

too cute not to post

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Congratulations to Poland in their great, great victory against Brazil.

Earthy Ape Unit
Jun 17, 2014

by XyloJW

Frijolero posted:

Congratulations to Poland in their great, great victory against Brazil.

Turkey played a large part as well

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRValgHDvxE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

POOR BRA71L